2012 Midseason Assessments

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by PAgamer07, Jul 29, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

As we hit the midway point in the season it's time to take a look at how our teams are doing. Feel free to use this format or create your own.

#9 USC 5-1 (2-1)

Offense:

QB Cody Kessler- The season now rests in the hands of Cody "Who the hell are you" Kessler. With the injury to Matt Barkley for the year, and our offensive attack being more pass heavy, it is Kessler's shot. Can he lead the team to a Rose Bowl berth?

WR Marqise Lee- Leads the team in Yard (749) and receiving TD (10). Most experts predicted Robert Woods having the best receiving year, but Lee has been a breakthrough star here in USC. He will need to continue to produce with a much less accurate QB now getting him the ball.

Defense:

LE Devon Kennard- It's no secret this USC defense is a disappointment. But Kennard has been one of the bright spots here. His 5 sacks lead the team, and one of those sacks was a forced fumble. We need him to get even better.

ROLB Hayes Pullard- The most talented guy on the linebacking corps, Pullard has impressed us. His coverage skills have been solid and more importantly, he reads the plays well and gets in the backfield and leads the team with 10 TFL.

Big Wins:

Week 1 vs Arkansas- Somehow we pulled this one out, and unfortunately this was the only win worth a damn for the Trojans. If we played them now?? We would lose by 40.

Tough Losses:

Week 8 @ Utah- I knew this would be a tough game, but I was not prepared for how easily this team moved the ball on us. We gave up nearly 300 yards on the ground and could not stop them. On offense? The team was devastated as Senior QB Matt Barkley was knocked out of the game. Results showed a broken elbow and he is expected to miss the rest of the year.

Big Games remaining:

Week 11 vs Oregon- I am hoping that we can keep this one close. The team is discouraged after losing their leader in Barkley and it's up to an unheard of kid to lead us to victory. If our defense plays like they have all year we have no chance. A loss to the Ducks will sting..

Week 14 vs Notre Dame- This always big rivalry could possibly determine more than just bragging rights. Notre Dame nearly pulled off the upset over Michigan, and this team should not be taken for granted.

Other Comments:

Losing a player the quality of Barkley hurts. Combine that with one of the worst defensive units we have ever coached, and you have a squad with no morale at all. We need a big win or two and the games versus Notre Dame and Oregon are our chances to save the season. We knew Utah would be tough, but were unprepared for how tough.

We are also disappointed in our recruiting so far this year. We landed two solid defensive players, but lost out on two guys we really wanted to the Ducks. We were a little cocky in our recruiting prowess this year, and are now convinced this year will not be that good. We expect next year to give us a top 5 class.

2. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

#TBA Wisconsin 5-2 (2-2)

Offense:
    Everyone thought it would be Montee Ball keeping this team at the top but it's fallen on it's face in a few games. The consistent players on offense have been QB Danny O'Brien & WR Jared Abbrederis. Before the Purdue game, O'Brien had a 12:1 INT/Ratio but that changed against the Boiler Maker defense that snagged 2 int's off O'Brien. Everyone has a bad day and I hope that was his only one. Abbrederis has been steady and consistent constantly leading the way for the Badger offense. Abbrederis has hauled in 38 receptions for over 700 yards and 9 touchdowns.

Defense:
    This whole group has been up and down. My linebacker squad has been a huge let down. They're rated much better then how they're performing. My d-line has been okay but not establishing as much pressure as I would like to see. The Corners as a group have been embarrassing. Either they blow their coverage and give huge space or they drop interception after interception. DT's Ethan Hemer & Jordan Kohout have led the team in sacks & TFL. The rest of the defense needs to get on there level.
    Big Wins:
    Week 2 against Missouri, Week 6 against Nebraska & Week 7 against Illinois

Tough Losses:
    Week 8 @ Purdue - It was frustrating as you could expect. The defense played well on first and 2nd down and then Purdue would pull all tricks to convert, whether it's broken tackles, broken sacks or my defensive players would be in position & not be aware. (running away from the ball). The offense never had any shots down field. O'Brien had to keep things short due to pressure from a Purdue defensive line that apparently is 99 OVR... Just nothing went our way. When EA doesn't want you to win, you wont.

Big Games remaining:
    Really just Week 13 at Ohio State. We shot ourself in the foot against Purdue and really put us behind in the B1G Standings. We need some help from the Buckeyes & then we need to beat them head to head to even have a shot. The National Championship hopes are gone.

Other Comments:
    We're recruiting really well, wish we had more scholarships available this season so we could keep bringing in top talent. We've had to shy away from a few 5 stars & a lot of 4 stars. To supposedly have the "best o-line", we've been sacked a BUNCH and haven't been able to run the ball. This team is young so expectations next year will be a lot higher...A LOT higher.

3. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

[​IMG] 4-3 (1-2)

Offense:

WR Keenan Allen has stepped up and been a huge part of this offense and he leads the nation in receiving yards (1,104) and receiving touchdowns (12).

RB Isi Sofele is having a solid year and is 3rd in the nation in rushing yards (835) and he has been a big part for the Golden Bear offense all season.

QB Allan Bridgford is going to have to play as good as he did against Washington State since he will now be the starting quarterback for the rest of the year while Zach Maynard is recovering from
    a dislocated elbow.

Defense:

MLB Robert Mullins leads the team in tackles (52) and is having a very productive season.

Big Wins:
    N/A
    Big Losses:
    Week 4 vs Arizona

Week 6 vs UCF
    Big Games Remaining:
    Week 9 @ Stanford
    Week 12 @ Oregon
    Other Comments:
    It sucked missing those three weeks against USC, UCF, and Air Force but its all good. Keenan Allen is a monster and we only need 2 more wins to become bowl eligible. On the recruiting side I am very pleased with how its going and look forward to getting a few more commits in the next few weeks.

4. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

South Carolina 4-3 (3-1)

Offense:
    Can't do shit. Lattimore is among the leader in rushing yards this season, but that is mainly due to a high carry load. QB Cody Shaw went down against Michigan in week 3 and won't be back until a possible CCG or bowl game. Thus the QB job has been in the hands of a freshman and sophomore. They have done a decent job and are limiting the interceptions. In week 8 they had huge game with 140 yards combined rushing.

Defense:
    Seems like they can never get a stop when needed. Seems to be the case for everyone, that and not being able to tackle worth shit.

Big Wins:
    A sim win against Mizzou is sadly the biggest win of the season.

Tough Losses:
    Week 1 Duke. What the fucking shit? I thought it was due to me having not played the game that much, but I would soon find out that wasn't the case.
    Week 7 - Ole Miss. Fuck. My woes continue. At least it was only my first SEC loss of the year.

Big Games remaining:
    Arkansas and the rest of my SEC schedule. If I can somehow take down Arkansas I have a chance since it seems like everyone will be falling to some CPU teams this year. I am desperately hoping for a patch or tuner that messes up the game and makes running 100000x easier.

Other Comments:
    I think my recruiting class could end up being top 15. Only 3 3* signed right now, but I am going after some 4* guys I am #1 on and a few who have no other offers that I am going to try and swoop in to get. Only 2 running backs in the entire nation had me in their top 10 at the beginning of the season so I am not doing to great there. I found Bayou 2.0 though. A 6'4" WR that will come in at a 75.

5. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

OSU Buckeyes (3-0) 5-1

Offense:
    Braxton Miller leads the team with his 63% completion rate, 1628 yds, 23 TDs to 8 Ints. He is 5th in the NCAA in passing yardage. Running has been much harder this year. After starting the year with Sr Jordan Hall, OSU has looked to Carlos Hyde and he has performed much better on the ground. Miller though leads the team in rushing yardage and also has 5 rushing TDs. Miller has accounted for nearly 2000 total yards and 28 total TDs through 6 games (most among users). TE Stoneburner is the leading receiver and has 8 TDs.

Defense:
    Defense has been ok. They have given up some big plays, but have also shutdown some good teams. They snoozed on the gap assignments against a great TA&M squad but have played well since then. Etienne Sabino has been a monster at OLB with 30 total tackles, 14 TFL, 6 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 FFs and 1 INT RET TD.

Big Wins:
    Beating top 15 teams at the time in MSU and Nebraska in weeks 6 and 7 was a good way to rebound from the upset from the Aggies.

Tough Losses:
    Week 4 Aggies. Coach Brian had his players play a perfect game. They were one sided with running the ball but the OSU defense just got pancaked all over. The Aggie CBs were glue on OSU receivers.

Big Games remaining:
    Finishing the year with Wiscy and Michy. Going 1-1 in those games will be a success. If OSU can stop the one man team Wolverines, they have a chance.

Other Comments:
    Recruiting has been very slow for the Buckeyes. But, we have a bunch of 1st's and multiple soft commits. A top 20 class should be locked up as soon as these seniors sign on the line.

6. sonn

sonn Walk On

Oregon Ducks 6-0 (2-0)

Offense:
    Like usual my passing game has struggled at times, Bennett has been erratic at best over and under throwing receivers all season long. The running game has been excellent so far this season with Kenjon Barner, DeAnthony Thomas and Ayele Ford all producing at key times. Ford especially was big when Barner and Thomas both missed a couple of games due to injury. At the WR position Jordan Huff has been pretty good and is by far my best play maker on the outside.

Defense:
    Not much positives for the defense this year, while they have had a couple of good games they've also put up their share of stinkers. The lack of pressure is what really bothers me though and I will be switching back to the 4-3 next year since it suits the personnel on the team better. All the playmakers on the team are seniors so next year maybe a bit of a struggle.

Big Wins:
    No user games yet so I guess the biggest win would be week #1 over Western Michigan. Had to stage a 4th quarter comeback for that one which is pretty embarrassing.

Big Games Remaining:
    Next 4 weeks will be extremely tough starting with a CPU Utah team which took down USC then 3 straight user games against USC, Cal and Stanford.

Other Comments:
    I'm fairly happy with how recruiting has gone so far this season. Beat out the Trojans for a couple of players which is always good. What I am most excited about is the 4 4* DL that are being brought in next year. Tackles Sam Long and Andrew Keyes will team with current redshirt Arik Armstead to form a solid rotation that should harass opposing QBs for the next few years. Ends Clarence Flowers and Kyle Huffman will provide good depth and I see them starting by their Sophomore years.

7. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

[​IMG]
    4-2 (2-0)

Offense:

QB Brett Nottingham surprisingly leads the nation in completion percentage at 67.9%. More of a game manager as a sophomore but can be much more in the following seasons. 13 TD to 5 INT is pretty great as well.

HB Stepfan Taylor hasn't fullly lived up to his potential but is still a very very good back. He can score in the red zone and has 10 TD to go along with 725 yards.

WR Ty Montgomery has really came around the last few games and now leads the team in receiving yards and TD, 432 and 5.

Defense:

MLB Jerek Lancaster leads team in tackles 27 and tackles for loss 14. Has one forced fumble and four sacks. Does a great job stopping the run.

Defensive Line: Anderson, Stephens, and Gardner have a combined 17 sacks to go with 37 tackles. They have three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries between them and have definitely got better as the year has gone on.

Big Loses

Our two losses were by a combined six points. A loss in overtime to Illinois when Nottingham threw a pass into the flats and to Notre Dame when the kicker Williamson missed an easy short field goal to tie the game.

Big Wins

Boise State? Washington?

Big Games Remaining

Week 9 versus Cal. The big rivalry game can have implications on who wins the Pac-12 north. Should be a great game and can turn the season around into a positive one for the winner.

Week 13 versus Oregon. This is the toughest game on the schedule left. A win here could mean a undefeated Pac 12 season for the Cardinals and puts Oregon into the loss column.

Other Thoughts

We've had a couple tough losses but only by so few points. Have done a lot better than I expected since I did not win any practices games and my first win in NCAA 13 was our week one game in the dynasty. We have a strong team and a pretty good shot of winning out, making a good bowl game, and finishing in the top 25.

8. dnf913

dnf913 Walk On

#6 Arkansas Razorbacks 7-1 (6-0)

Offense:

The offense has showed up this season in a major way, with 5,007 total yards they lead the #2 team by almost 700 yards. Tyler Wilson has shown he is the real deal, early in the season he was throwing a lot of INTs, but he has been more careful with the ball as of late. Wilson has completed 64% of his passes for over 3,000 yards 30 TDs and 15 INTs. The running game has also been fairly strong, lead by Knile Davis who has 890 yards and 7 TDs. Back up RB Ronnie Wingo Jr has also contributed almost 300 yards and 4 TDs. The receivers have been very good, with everyone contributing, #1 WR Cobi Hamilton has 39 catches for 716 yards and 6 TDs, while #2 WR Julian Horton has 38 Catches for 709 Yards and 7 TD. TE Chris Gragg has also added 35 Catches for 515 Yards and 7 TD. Even the #3 WR Javontee Herndon has add 6 TDs.

Defense:

The Hog defense has been a very nice surprise so far. They have given up a large number of passing yards, although the fact that the Hogs have had huge leads in most of the games thus far may be a factor in that, but the defense has come through in impact plays, they are tied for second in sacks with 30 and tied for 3rd in INTs with 15. CB Darius Winston leads all users with 6 INTs, and ranks 3rd in the entire NCAA. OLB Matt Marshall is also leading the NCAA in Sacks with 10, while DT Brian Jones is 5th with 7 sacks.

Big Wins:

Week 4 against Alabama and Week 6 against Texas A&M, both were big wins. I had Alabama against the ropes when the suddenly came back and made it a game, I was lucky to pull it out in 3 OTs. A&M played a tough game but the minute before half when I scored twice proved to be too much to overcome for the Aggies.

Big Losses:

Week 1 against USC. I had the game in hand when somehow it just slipped away, mainly thanks to the crazy good WRs of USC.

Big Games Remaining:

Week 12 vs South Carolina and Week 14 Vs LSU

9. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

[​IMG]

Missouri Tigers 6-2 (4-1)

Offense:

The Missouri offense is about James Franklin and James Franklin alone. He hasn't been especially accurate (hovering around 50% on the year), but he's accounted for well over 2000 yards of total offense and has a real chance to put up 3000 passing yards and 1000 rushing yards this season. He's had to be the whole offense for Mizzou because Henry Josey has been a huge disappointment so far this year. Putting up just a shade over 3 YPC just won't get it done, and while a large part of that is because of the shit sandwich of an offensive line for Missouri, he simply hasn't done enough with the few chances he has had with open space. The receiving corps has been as solid as expected on the year. DGB has made some incredible catches and had some monster games, but he has a tendency to start looking downfield before catching the ball on some easy ones. Those drops are what is keeping this receiving corps from being elite.

Defense:

Kip Edwards and Kenronte Walker have been the big turnover creators for this defense, combining for 7 INTs between them and many many more pass deflections. Walker in particular has been disruptive, with 8 TFL, 2 sacks, and 3 INTs from the strong safety position. Other than that, the production has been very spread out as no player has more than 4 sacks or more than Walker's 8 TFLs.

Big Losses:

We have 2 close losses on the year, one at Wisconsin where their strong OL just manhandled us and beat us into submission and a sim loss to South Carolina. The loss to South Carolina probably hurts a little more because of what it means in the SEC race.

Big Wins:

The biggest win has to be the one we got against Bama. They made some huge mistakes, and despite being the better team, just gave that one away to us.

Big games remaining:

Can I say all of them? There are no easy wins in this conference. @LSU, Florida, Auburn, and @A&M will all be huge tests for this team.

10. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

[​IMG]
    #2 Michigan Wolverines 7-0 (3-0)
    Offense:
    Yes, everyone knows about the dynamic Denard Robinson and as unbelievable as he's been, there have been other players that have been very good also. TB Fitzgerald Touissant has been steadily getting better and better as the season has gone on. As it stands now, he has a shot of joining Denard in the 1000+ rushing club. The wideouts have also been very good. Even though they don't get the pub, they have been a great unit this season. Jeremy Gallon and Roy Roundtree each have 28 catches while 3rd widout Drew Dileo has 21. Other than those 3, the next leading receiver on the squad has a grand total of 4 so it's pretty obvious that Denard's passes will go to one of the top 3 guy's. All-American Taylor Lewan has been a beast for this rock of a offensive line. The only stat you need to know about the line is that they have only let Denard get sacked 4 times through 7 games.​
    Defense:
    All the talk all year has been about Denard Robinson but the play of the defense probably has been the biggest surprise for coach Hartman. Other than the 2nd half against Virginia, this unit has been dominant. In their 3 user games, these guy's have been at their best holding both South Carolina and Illinois without a TD. They also went into Madison and punched the then B1G favorites in the mouth en route to a huge win. They don't really have any standout performers as this has been a collective effort but SR DE Craig Roh does have 9 sacks as he's the one guy that's probably in line for all-conference consideration.​
    Big Wins:
    This season has been chalk full of them to be honest. Week 2 against South Carolina was a coming out party for the Wolverines and the win in Madison probably served notice to the rest of the Redshirt coaches that this team could be a team to watch for a National Title. Since then, big wins over Notre Dame, Illinois and Michigan St have cemented this team as legit Title contenders.​
    Big Losses:
    N/A​
    Big Games Remaining:
    The schedule has been brutal and even though we've gone through so many big, tough games already, there are still a few more that could trip up the potent Wolverines. We have Nebraska this week and even though they're missing stud Rex Burkhead, we feel they'll be a nice challenge. Going to Iowa will always be tough and of course we end the season against the hated Buckeyes and coach Screw.​
    Other Thoughts:
    Man, it's been a fun season but we can't take anything for granted and we need to take it one week at a time. The CPU can pop up and take anyone out on any given Saturday. We'll be ready for each and every game. We look forward to the end of the season to see how all of this all shakes out.​

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

Not ranked cause we suck - Texas A&M 3-4 (2-2)

Offense:
    Much to the surprise of many, this is a passing team first and foremost, partially because we can't run the damn ball.​

QB Jameill Showers - For better or worse, we live and die by the arm (and legs) of this guy. He has been very inconsistent to say the least, throwing for 1844 yards on 58% passing with 8 TD. The bad news is he also has thrown 14 interceptions. He has also run for 6 touchdowns so at least he is even with his turnovers in total TD production.​

WR Ryan Swope has been as good as advertised, catching 59 passes for 635 yards but only 2 TD. Him and TE Nehemiah Hicks have been a good one-two punch for us.​

On the disappointments side, I expected more out of HB Christine Michael, although he does have 624 yards rushing, but what can you expect out of a guy with a girls name. Seriously though, most of his issues can be traced back to a porous offensive line that can't run block to save their lives.​
    Defense:
    Let's face it, the defense has been mostly terrible, giving up yards and points in bunches. This is the real reason that the team is below .500 at this point. We know we need to just outscore people to win.

That being said, the star of this defense is MLB Jonathan Stewart, he has played great while surrounded by crap with 35 tacks, 11 for loss, 4 sacks, 3 interceptions, and 1 forced fumble. This guy does it all and he needs to on this defense.
    Big Wins:
    Not many here but gotta go with the 24-10 win in Columbus against Ohio State. We were big underdogs in this but we finally put together a good game on both sides of the ball to get the victory. This was a glimpse of what this team is capable of, just making the bad games that much more frustrating.

It's sad but I'm going to include the loss against LSU here even though it was frustrating as hell and I almost lost a controller when we threw an interception to lose the game then couldn't bear to relive it with a recap. We had battled back after being down all game to go up 28-27 with just under 4 minutes left in the game, then LSU drives down the field to take a two point lead with a FG with 1:23 left. We drove down quickly to the LSU 35, knowing we just needed 10 more yards to get my FG kicker in his range. We had Nicks wide open (I'm talking no one within 10 yards here), but Showers proceeds to throw one of his ducks in the air past Nicks into the hands of the waiting safety to seal the loss, his 3rd interception of the day...UGH! Regardless, it was an overall good showing against the #1 team in the country.

Tough Losses:
    SMU - There is no way we should have lost this but we got smoked 42-20.

Maryland - We got run all over by a bad Maryland team who put up 63 on what we loosely call a defense.

Arkansas - like the LSU game, we played about as well as we could and kept it closer than many thought we would.
    Big Games remaining:
    All of them really as we struggle to get bowl eligible and not lose a star. We were trying to be good enough to get to 5* but right now I'd be happy to just keep our 4*. As far as games go, Alabama and Missouri stand out as the big games but we have to watch out for everyone as we are not good enough to sleepwalk through any games.​

Other Comments:
    Overall a disappointing season but it could be worse. Recruiting has been ok and has picked up recently with some lower end 4* guys signing. I'd like to have seen more 4* guys signing and less 3*, but that's what you get when you don't have the prestige to compete against the big boys. Let's just hope some of them develop nicely. We've filled our needs now, so it's just gravy from here on out.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  12. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

7-2 Fighting Illini

Offense
    Its been a rather horrible offensive year for this squad as the HB can't stay healthy and the WR core is for the most part awful. Scheelhaase has done a decent job for the most part but still misses guys by 10-15 yards here and there. Most of the games have been close to the lack of offense and no explosive HB which hopefully will get changed here soon.

Defense
    Has been the rock for this Illini squad had completely kept this team in almost all the games so far other than Wisconsin and Michigan they have been strong and led by Buchanan who was one of the undervalued players on this squad and didnt get the attention he deserved in the preseason assessment. There has been alot of bend dont break but they have done a decent job keeping points off the board.

Big Wins
    Stanford and every game is a big win with this team. Its an uphill battle every game as 9/10 times we are outmatched and thats something this squad has faced all year and has done a great job of facing it.

Big Losses
    Michigan and Wisconsin. Wisconsin played tough and we just couldn't get over the hump to make it a ball game and Michigan it was impossible to stop Denard and the team just quit they realized it was over and didnt want to waste much more time on the field.

Big Games
    Everyone is a big game as Illinois tries to make it to a better bowl and try to get the recruits interested in playing in Champaign because they really need to get some talent or its going to be alot of long years ahead.

Other comments
    Can't complain to much this team is better record wise than I expected and has played pretty well. To many drops or missed WR and not real breakaway HB has made it difficult on offense. Alot of double digit play drives as this team just doesnt have the big weapon.

• Like Like x 1