2012 PAC 12 Blog

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bdub, Jul 13, 2011.

1. bdub

bdub Walk On

[​IMG]

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I must say, I think it's cool that we all managed to stay away from the conference's big dogs (Stanford, Oregon, and USC) when selecting our teams. Choosing a California team would have been an easier path, also. It's going to take a lot of hard work, but I'd like to see us build the PAC-12 up and become a national force. Let's have fun.

3. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Washington struggles out of the gate, but rights the ship in the 2nd half winning 30-14. Defense came up big for the Dawgs.
    Full report to come.

4. egofailure

Arizona began the '11-'12 season in convincing fashion with a 37-3 victor over the Spartans ... of San Jose. Senior tailback and darkhorse Heisman candidate, Keola Antolin, lead the way with 214 yards and 2 TD on 20 carries. The Wildcats will face the #7 ranked Oklahoma State Cowboys next Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium.

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

The Utes started off their season with a bang taking care of Hawaii 42 to 14 in a game that was never in question. The defense led the way forcing 4 interceptions, as Hawaii came out firing throwing the ball 63 times but only completing 29 of them.

The Utes will play USC in LA next week in their PAC 12 opener.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Big D

Big D Walk On

Cougars Win Home Opener 27-13

July 22, 2010

Pullman, WA- With a new head coach and a new attitude the Washington State Cougars won their season opener at Martin Stadium 27-13 against the Tulane Golden Hurricane.

However, in the early stages it seemed like the same 'ole Cougars of the past couple seasons.

Washington State would get the ball first only to go three and out without a first down. Then on Tulsa's first play from scrimmage they would use a nicely designed screen pass from T. Roberson to Kinne who would break a couple of tackles and streak 70 yards for the game's first score.

Back on their heels with the sparse home crowd already restless, the offense plodded back onto the field trying to put something together.

That wouldn't happen as junior quarterback Jeff Tuel threw an interception to set the Golden Hurricane up with a great chance to increase their lead to double digits.

The much maligned Cougar defense would then start to lock down, as they would for most of the game, sacking Roberson once and then intercepting him on the next play.

With the momentum back, the offense would use a nice five play drive capped off by a Winston touchdown run to tie the game up.

Tulsa would answer back with a field goal, and then the show would begin.

That would be the Marquess Wilson show, as the standout sophomore receiver would wow the crowd with a dazzling display of spectacular long distance catches mixed in with short passes he would turn into huge gains.

Wilson would score on two 83 yard pass plays, the first a catch-and-run screen in the second quarter and then a deep bomb over the top of the defense late in the third quarter.

With the Cougar defense locking down their team would cruise to victory and get new Coach Dunlap his first victory as the head man at his alma mater.

"I thought our guys fought back and with good grit and determination today," said Dunlap. "If we harness that focus every game I think we'll be just fine this season."

Wilson finished that game with 5 catches for 213 yards and two touchdowns to lead Washington State.

The Cougars (1-0) will stay in Pullman next week for a date with UNLV.

• Like Like x 1
  7. egofailure

The Wildcats had the #6 ranked Oklahoma Cowboys shakin' in their boots, but couldn't seal the deal Saturday night, as they lost a heart-breaker 38-34 in Boone Pickens Stadium. The Cowboys connected on an 8-yard TD pass with 5 seconds remaining in the game, capping off an 18-point 4th quarter in spectacular fashion. A turning point in the contest came early in the final quarter, when Arizona QB Nick Foles was hit behind the line of scrimmage lost possession of the football, leading to a scoop and score by OSU LB Shaun Lewis.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bdub

bdub Walk On

The Utes go into LA and get embarrassed by USC losing 50 - 28. The first half was a dog fight back and forth however, the second half proved to be the Utes undoing as QB Jordan Wynn after going 9 - 13 in the first half with no INT's threw 3 picks in a row and then fumbled the ball all in the 3rd quarter. USC was able to capitalize on each of those mistakes and that was the end for Utah.

The Utes will look to rebound against their most hated rivals as they take on BYU next week.

9. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Um welcome to bcs conference? Lol jk jk.

USC is always tougher than they should be

10. Big D

Big D Walk On

Coug Defense Strong in 28-12 win over UNLV

July 23, 2010

Pullman, WA- The Cougs are off to their first 2-0 start since 2004 after a dominating defensive performance against the UNLV Rebels.

It was the second consecutive outstanding effort by the Washington State defenders, who seem to have found an identity under new head Coach Dunlap.

On offense it was again a receiver stealing the spotlight. With UNLV keying on sophomore standout Marquess Wilson the opposite side left senior Jared Karstetter with 1 on 1 coverage that he could capitalize on twice catching both of Alex Brink's touchdown passes in the game.

The Cougars (2-0) have a great chance to go undefeated into their Week 4 bye, as only a struggling San Diego State team stands in their way next week.

The rebuilding project has begun, and so far fans in Pullman are liking the results.

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

Well they are an A- team in the game so they are probably a top 10 in the country. In real life though probably not so much.

12. egofailure

The Arizona Wildcats fell to 1-2 Saturday afternoon following another 2nd half meltdown, this time at the hands of the Stanford Cardinal. "We need to coach better, execute better, and recruit harder," Arrighi asserted. "We've yet to play a full 60 minutes this season, and until we do, we won't win many games. And that's on me."

The Wildcats were up ahead 21-17 early in the third quarter following a hard-fought TD run by senior back Keola Antolin. But soon after, the Arizona D' wilted, giving up a 62 yard TD score to Cardinal running back Stephan Taylor. Then things got downright ugly. An ill-advised pass by QB Nick Foles lead to an interception and score, and on the very next possession, he fumbled a botched screen pass, which gift-wrapped the Cardinal the ball on the 3-yard line.

"Once we got down 10, we lost our way," admitted the coach. "We're not a pass happy type of offense, but we tried to be. We became far too predictable, and Stanford made us pay. That's a great team we faced today."

And what did the coach think about the final Standford score with less than a minute to play?

"No comment."

A couple of notes:

- The deep pass by Luck (see video) was on 3rd and 19 in the second quarter. Fucking ridiculous.
    - Not much went right for me in the 2nd half. An example of this was the short pass attempt that went incomplete (see video) on 4th and 1 in the 4th when I still had a chance to make it a game.
    - Two of my interceptions (the third was off of a deflection) were due to poor pre-snap reads. I decided who I was going to throw it to and forced it. Can't do that at this level because the defense disguises their coverages very well.
    - I need to find a way to get better defensively. And fast.

13. bdub

bdub Walk On

The Utah Utes win the Holy War 38 - 31 to move to 2 and 1 on the season. The Utes started the game off with a bang scoring 17 points in the first quarter and forcing 2 interceptions. In the 2nd half the Utes continues to roll racking up another 24 points. However, BYU woke up as backup QB Riley Nelson got their offense going, scoring 14 points.

In the 2nd half both defenses tigtned up as neither team could get much going. After the offensive explosion of the first half, both teams only managed a touchdown a piece in the 2nd half.

The Utes have a bye next week before facing Washington in week 5.

Couple of things about this game that really pissed me off.

- Every time I would get up by more than 2 touchdowns the CPU would start making my DB's act like complete idiots.
    - This game should have been a blow out but it feels like every time you get up on a team the CPU starts manipulating the game to get back into it.

14. Big D

Big D Walk On

I'll tell you what, watching those replays it amazes me the graphics in this game. That is truly like sitting there watching an ESPN highlight. You can barely, and i mean barely tell the different when its the broadcast sideline cam like a real broadcast. That is damn amazing people.

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

The replays look really nice. Wish I could get mine to upload.

16. bdub

bdub Walk On

Pac 12 Football

17. egofailure

When the Oregon Ducks breezed down the field to score the go-ahead touchdown with less than four minutes to play, it wasn't difficult to read the minds of the thousands of Wildcat fans at Arizona Stadium. "Here we go again!" The Wildcats, though, coming off two consecutive losses after leading entering the final quarter, refused to follow the same script for the third straight week.

Lead brilliantly by running back Keola Antolin, the Wildcats put together an impressive drive in the finals minutes to tie the contest 24-24 on a 34 yard field goal by Alex Zendejas as time expired.

Overtime proved to be just exciting, as the Wildcats and Ducks exchanged touchdown scores before Oregon was forced to settle for a field goal with their second possession. Arizona again countered with their secret weapon - Antolin. His 20 yard TD scamper sealed the victory and Arizona's first conference win of the season.

"We definitely earned this one," Coach Arrighi stated before joining his team in the locker room. "We'll enjoy this one for the rest of the weekend, but then we're back to work on Monday." With the 'Cats slated to face USC next Saturday, they'll need to get in all the work that they can.​

18. jca312

jca312 Walk On

After entering the Polls for the first time since Week 3 of the 2009 season, #24 Washington hosted unbeaten Cal in the Huskies' Pac 12 debut. Unfortunately, Washington's fate would be the same as it was back in 2009 as Keith Price had his worst game of the season throwing 4 interceptioins, including a game-sealing Pick 6 at midfield with the Huskies trailing by 7 in the 4th Quarter. The 53-yard interception return for a touchdown by DJ Campbell provided the final 14-point margin, making the final score 42-28.
    If not for the interceptions, Price would've been Washington's Player of the Game, completing 17-28 for 268 and 4 TDs. Chris Polk and Jermaine Kearse continue to put up big numbers for Washington, Polk ran the ball 28 times for 147 yards, he also hauled in 2 passes for 8 yards and a TD. Kearse was named Player of the Game after his 5-catch 138-yard 3 TD performance.
    Next week, Washington will look to rebound in Salt Lake City against Utah.

19. bdub

bdub Walk On

Looking forward to our game next week. I think our team are evenly matched so should be a good one.

20. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Yeah, I hope so. I'm still getting a feel for my team. I've made some bad mistakes that have or should have cost me games. Won't be able to afford that next week.
    Should be fun.

21. Big D

Big D Walk On

Cougs succumb to the Andrew Luck's 38-21. 3 turnovers and 8 penalties cost the Cougs, however Coach Dunlap was pleased in that he saw his team compete for all 60 minutes against one of the nation's best teams.

"We played toe to toe (17-14) with them in the first half. We had a period there in the third quarter where we just couldn't find a rythm, but I'm happy with the way my kids competed. If we do that every week there are bright things in store for the future of this program."

The Cougs will try to rebound next week against a struggling Oregon State team at home.

• Like Like x 2
  22. bdub

bdub Walk On

8 penalties is a real killer going up against a better team. Looks like you gave them a good game though.

23. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Big D, you're doing a great job over there in Pullman. You've got me real nervous for the Apple Cup. I thought I'd be able to get a couple of cheap wins in the first few years with your lack of talent, but I think you have had your guys playing better football than we have all year. Looks like the balance of power in the Pac 12 North with be back up in the state of Washington in no time.

24. bdub

bdub Walk On

[​IMG]

25. egofailure

In a couple of years, the PAC-12 is going to be a beast of a conference. Mark my words. Keep up the great work, guys.

• Like Like x 1