2012 Playoff Picture

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Richuation, Oct 13, 2012.

1. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures
    The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:
    1. The division champion with the best record.
    2. The division champion with the second-best record.
    3. The division champion with the third-best record.
    4. The division champion with the fourth-best record.
    5. The Wild Card club with the best record.
    6. The Wild Card club with the second-best record.
    The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
    If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
    Two Clubs
    1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss
    Three or More Clubs
    (Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).
    1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in common games.
    12. Coin toss
    TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
    If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
    1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.
    Two Clubs
    1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    4. Strength of victory.
    5. Strength of schedule.
    6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best net points in conference games.
    9. Best net points in all games.
    10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11. Coin toss.
    Three or More Clubs
    (Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
    1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    12. Coin toss
    When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
    1. Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild Card tie-breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to Step 1 of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tiebreaker, all other clubs revert to Step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
    2. In comparing records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor, since teams may have played an unequal number of games.
    3. To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.
    4. To determine home-field priority for Wild Card qualifiers, apply division tie-breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild Card tiebreakers (if teams are from different divisions).
    5. To determine the best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed, add a team's position in the two categories, and the lowest score wins. For example, if Team A is first in points scored and second in points allowed, its combined ranking is "3." If Team B is third in points scored and first in points allowed, its combined ranking is "4." Team A then wins the tiebreaker. If two teams are tied for a position, both teams are awarded the ranking as if they held it solely. For example, if Team A and Team B are tied for first in points scored, each team is assigned a ranking of "1" in that category, and if Team C is third, its ranking will still be "3."
    TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING
    1. Clubs not participating in the playoffs shall select in the first through 20th positions in reverse standings order.
    2. The Super Bowl winner is last and Super Bowl loser is next-to-last.
    3. The losers of the Conference Championship games shall select 29th and 30th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
    4. The losers of the Divisional playoff games shall select 25th through 28th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
    5. The losers of the Wild Card games shall select 21st through 24th based on won-lost-tied percentage.
    If ties exist in any grouping except (2) above, such ties shall be broken by strength-of-schedule. If any ties cannot be broken by strength-of-schedule, the divisional or conference tie-breakers, if applicable, shall be applied. Any ties that still exist shall be broken by a coin flip.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

3. bigrice25

bigrice25 Walk On

Gonna come down to the wire.... i hope tie breakers work in this Madden, i know on a previous version it broke the tie by using alphabetical order lol

4. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Updated through Week 14

• Like Like x 1
  5. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

i get a sim L and basically have to win out now....... to make the playoffs..... shit

6. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

Good stuff The Richuation.

AFC:

Ravens / Bills / Raiders / Colts

Broncos, Chiefs will battle for a spot. Steelers will get in with 6th seed.

Chiefs are team to watch, they have Raiders this week, Colts then Broncos ... 3 Playoff teams, can't afford a loss. If they drop one game (colts or raiders), week 17 Chiefs vs Broncos will be huge, and must win for Broncos.

Raiders will be playing for home-field, they have second toughest remaining schedule behind the Chiefs. Finishing up against the Chiefs then on the road with #2-3 NFC Seed Panthers and tough new owner with Chargers.

NFC:

49ers / Packers / Panthers / Eagles

Lions will get in with 5th seed.

Redskins, Eagles, and Falcons... Simple for the Eagles, beat the Redskins next week an its a wrap. Falcons will have to win out and beat tough Lions team on the road.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  7. MS8403

MS8403 Walk On

The AFC looks very tight. It's going to be a battle.

8. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Updated through Week 15

• Like Like x 1
  9. JrRawlins

Denver has the tiebreaker over the Steelers with a Week 1 win.... too bad i joined in Week 2....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

Looks like the #6 seed is between Jags, Steelers, Broncos. Steelers have to play the bengals and new browns owner. Broncos have to beat the Chiefs and Browns. Jags have to beat Pats and Titans. If all 3 teams end 10-6 then Steelers most likely make 6 seed from their conference record. Looks like everyone needs to win out.

11. JrRawlins

i hate the fact i got 2 new owners to end my season.... that sucks

12. Brandon S.

It doesnt bother me any, im hoping for 2 losses ;)

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

better a user than a cpu game cmon man!

14. DirtSouthDan

DirtSouthDan Walk On

Playoff picture even tighter in the NFC, with a loss at home by the Lions. Still can't believe Megatron dropped a wide open pass on 4th down, trailing by 6 in the 4th quarter.

15. bigrice25

bigrice25 Walk On

ya, ive had 3 straight cpu games....
    Pretty much spoon fed me the division.

16. JrRawlins

i was hoping guys would stick it out... the offseason should be fun...

17. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I agree. Expanding the league and still a young league. We are weeding out guys and settling in on our group forward. I knew there would be a few growing pains.

18. Brandon S.

The great thing about this is that we have a core from last year, this isnt an entirely new league. We have 1 year of experience ahead of every league except TMFL.

19. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

yep, we had a core of about 10, now we added about 20, so its gradual

20. mmorgan184

mmorgan184 Walk On

The race is looking interesting.

21. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Updated through Week 16

• Like Like x 1
  22. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

With that last win, Atlanta just clinched...

Seattle wont make playoffs despite possible 10 win season.... FML

23. DirtSouthDan

DirtSouthDan Walk On

That's gotta suck. No way I plan on losing to the Bears my last game,

#itsalock

24. JrRawlins

The Steelers should have clinched a playoff spot with a win over the Browns in week 17.....

25. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

Really? We'll see. If only virtual Tillman played as well as the real one, I would not have given up so many big plays and been in more games. Sure the 132 Interceptions I threw did not help but I digress!