2012 Position Battles

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by JrRawlins, Sep 2, 2010.

1. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

2012 Position Battles

Its almost that time of year again... as we approach the bowl games, and the offseason looms.....

QB - Cosh is the leader, Klein is the backup.... the new guy Lee Tucker gets redshirted....

HB - Ware should the starter his acceleration rating and break tackle are ridiculous, Robinson is his immediate backup and DinWiddie will be the kick-return.....

TE - Crowder is the man.....

WR - Smith will start on one side, Christensen or McDaniel will start and the other will be in the slot, it will be based on ratings and play on the practice field...

Along the line.... the left side is solid..... Center is up in the air.... Maurice Mitchell should be able to step in and start at RT or RG, and new Recruit Matt Holden should fill the RG spot......

Defensive line my Junior LE Adam Davis, Senior Ray Kibble will man the D Tackle spot.....the Right End spot is gonna be a battle between Sophmore Justin Silva, and freshmen Corey Sanders or Quinton Williams they will probably end up splitting the time until Davis leaves...

Linebackers
    Here is where the fun begins.... At LOLB, we have no idea who is gonna start.... Ernie Young has the size and speed to start but his tackling and awareness is so low.... Montgomery could also start out there... At ROLB, more than like redshirt Junior Childs should start... in the Middle.. Blake Slaughter is a definite starter, but the second spot is up for grabs between Gray and the new recruit Ray Adams.....

Secondary
    at strong safety, Torell Miller is a starter... but free safety is a mess, missed on every recruit we were after but one freshman O'donnell, he is average at best.... At corner, Senior Darious Thomas is the best available fot hte Wildcats.... the other spot is between Redshirt Junior Melton, a recruit Pennington or this guy Barnes I am really after.....

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Whew boy, here we go...

QB - Once again I will have multiple QBs within 1-2 OVR points of each other. JR Brendan Cross had a decent Sophomore campaign and will definitely be the favorite moving into the spring. West Virginia transfer Coley White is a gifted athlete and could figure into the picture. Depending on how good of an offseason Coley has, he could really help his chances of earning some playing time. SR Ted Stachitas figures to be the odd man looking in unless he really improves.

RB - With the departure of Brandan Pendergrass, Wake will be forced to look to relatively unproven backs to get the job done. SR Lovell Jackson looks to be the favorite for the starting job over SO Ben Emert and incoming :4stars: true frosh Dustin Peterson PS#26.

WR - SR Chris Givens has been an impact player for two years on a terrible offensive unit and will look to change that stigma. Big-man Matt James made strides this year and will move to the outside where his size will be a true advantage. I don't think any of the true frosh will break the two-deep, but I've been surprised before.

TE - This is a position that continues to get uglier for us with the lack of being able to recruit our top three targets at TE. By the looks of it we will be stuck with a SO and FR(RS) to carry the load. It's not looking pretty.

OL - This unit will be young and inexperienced. There will be a few anchors, but the talent level has definitely dropped off from the past couple of years.

DE - Losing both starters really hurts. Losing two all conference DEs hurts really bad. You would have to figure that the pass rush will be down next year, but there is some promising talent that will see time. Kevin Smith is a talented SR looking to prove himself. RS(FR) Daniel Moore was the bell cow of last year's recruiting class and figures to at least push for playing time if he doesn't earn a starting spot.

DT - We will be fine here with two experienced SRs anchoring the D-line. This includes the mammoth 6'6'' 302 lb Ramon Booi.

LB - Joey Ehrmann returns on one side after a really good JR season while SO Rick Adams will likely play on the opposite side after a decent showing on different special teams units this year. SO Zach Allen could definitely make a push for a starting spot as well. In the middle, our leading tackler Scott Betros returns to solidify the corps. '

DB - CB Kenny Okoro will be our best player and shut down one side of the field as he has done the previous two years. JR A.J. Marshall figures to be the favorite for the starting spot on the opposite side. SO Merril Noel or SR DJ Jones will fill in for the Nickel duties. FR(RS) Jerome Davis may be called upon to fill in for SS duty. JR Dez Cooper is the leader for the FS spot. I'm hoping :4stars: ATH Joey Smith can step in and help us out back in the back, but I you never know with true frosh. :3stars: CB Martin Schmidt is a promising new recruit and will likely get a lot of time on special teams and rotate in on pass heavy offenses.

3. JrRawlins

drifter, sounds like you are in my position with young players really having to step up and play..........

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I think we're all in this position actually. Except MSU.

5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah some guys are going to have to step up or we are going to be in some serious trouble.

It's almost like EA's recruiting guys and roster guys don't talk to eachother. Recruits don't come in high enough to make a difference because the guys already on the roster are so freakin' overrated it's nuts.

6. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Not sure why you think I'm set, I lose 16 seniors and have about 5 juniors who had great years who will probably try and leave early. I'm VERY worried about this team for 2012.

7. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Missouri 2012 Position Battles

QB
    JR Ashton Glaser
    SO James Franklin
    SO Tyler Gabbert

All 3 starred at some point last season and likely will again. I’d like to see Franklin or Gabbert distinguish themselves this spring since they both have the skills worth building an offense around. One will need to separate himself though if he wants to be the only one with the keys to the offense.

RB
    SR Kendial Lawrence
    SR Jared Culver (FB)
    SO James Green
    JR Robert Harrell JUCO

QB Franklin was our leading rusher in `11. That will hopefully change in `12. Lawrence stepped up midseason and shot up the depth chart as coach KSherm overlooked his abilities early. He’ll likely star for us in `12. SR FB Jared Culver will also likely see an expanded role at HB as he proved so valuable in short yardage situations last season. Incoming JUCO Robert Harrell has high hopes from the coaching staff as being able to push for playing time immediately as well.

WR
    JR L Damien Washington
    SR Rolandis Woodland
    SO Marcus Lucas
    SR TJ Moe
    SO Jimmie Hunt
    SR Brandon Gerau
    FR John Brewster

The loss of Kemp and Jackson will be a lot. Washington and Woodland will be our #1 and #2, with Lucas and Moe battling for 3 and 4. Hunt and RS FR Brewster will need to step up for this unit to improve.

TE
    SR Beau Brinkley
    JR Alex Sanders
    JR Lance Ball JUCO

Replacing 2 starters at this position will be tough. Brinkley and Sanders are neck and neck headed into the spring with JUCO Ball possibly pushing for PT as well.

OL

We lose 3 starters, but the backups should be capable of stepping in and providing the same level of play.

DE
    SR Aldon Smith**
    SR Marcus Malbrough
    SO Kony Ealy

Here’s where it begins to get rough. We desperately need DE Aldon Smith to return for his SR season. Malbrough played this year due to injury and should man one DE spot. Ealy is capable of playing, but he’s no Smith.

DT
    SR Jimmy Burge
    SR Tyler Davis
    SR Brendan Donaldson
    FR John Jefferson

Both starters are graduating and this isn’t a very talented unit to anchor the middle of my defense. FR John Jefferson will need to show up ready to play so we have some depth in the middle.

OLB
    SR Zaviar Gooden
    SO MJ Smith
    FR Jamaal Johnson
    JR Brad Harrison
    FR Deonne Graham
    FR Calvin Brown

The upper classmen are in the 60s overall. The freshman will have a shot to play immediately. Brown, Graham, and Harrison will have to prove themselves in the fall cause that’s when this position battle will be decided.

MLB
    FR Dough Lowery
    FR Marcus Freeman

Again, losing both #1 and #2 on the depth chart. Freeman’s a redshirt and Lowery arrives in the fall. We’ll likely also move an OLB here to provide depth. MLB is Lowery’s for the taking.

CB
    JR Tristen Holt
    SR Kip Edwards
    SO Anthony McBride
    SO Antoine Hudson

We return everyone here. Holt was injured for most of `11 and having him back in `12 will be huge. McBride may push Edwards for some PT at the #2 spot.

FS
    JR Tavon Bolden

Only remaining FS on the roster. Will the converted OLB workout playing FS?

SS
    JR Matt White
    SO Andy Nicholson

No contest, White’s the returning starter and is leaps and bounds better than Nicholson.

8. Dru50

Assuming no early departures/transfers:

QB - Tyler Russell has sat behind Chris Relf for 2 years, next season the job will be his. He's a RS junior who has good athletic ability and a better throwing arm than Relf, although he's been prone to make more mistakes.

HB - Montrell Connor will be a RS junior, if he's back, he will be the man. Transfer Zac Stacy will either be the primary backup or the starter if Connor leaves early. Nick Griffin and Vick Ballard fill out the depth chart. Griffin is a future starter, while Ballard is more of a short yardage thumper.

FB - William Shumpert will only be a junior, so he should be back.

WR - This is the group that determines the Bulldog offensive style for 2012. If Bumphis and Heavans return for their senior years, we will have the top 5 WR's back to help Russell on offense. The top 4 guys (which includes soon to be juniors Robert Johnson and Michael Carr) have speed to burn, but hopefully will continue to develop their other skills. If one or both leave, I'll have to adjust my playbook to run more and pass less.

TE - Sophomore Joshua Lundy will take over for receiving star Marcus Green. Lundy is purely a blocker, and the TE will not be a featured part of the passing game in 2012.

OT - LT Damien Robinson is currently a sophomore and will return, meanwhile on the right side, Matt Berry (the highest rated 2010 recruit for Miss St) will take over for team captain Lawrence Addison.

OG - Junior Sam Watts will take over the LG position, while I am hoping that RG Tobias Smith (90 OVR) elects to stay for his senior year. If not, junior Gabe Jackson will step in on the right side.

C - Sophomore Harvey Jackson and incoming 4 star C Anthony Battle will compete for the starting job.

DE - Starters Bell and Eulls are underclassmen. Eulls (10 sacks) will definitely be back, Bell is a junior and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

DT - Fletcher Cox and Josh Boyd are both juniors, with luck they both stay for their senior years. If not, it gets tricky, because my 3rd and 4th DT are seniors and 2010 recruit Ryan Small would then be pressed to start a bit earlier than hoped.

OLB - Lawrence Cameron should return at ROLB and it is expected that senior Michael Hunt will move to the left side in 2012.

MLB - I'm praying that Brandon Wilson returns for his senior year. He is a great mike linebacker, but if he leaves, the job will go to RS junior Dontae Skinner.

CB - Seniors Corey Bloomfield and Louis Watson should man the starting corner spots in 2012, with 3 sophomores competing for the nickel and dime spots. Incoming recruit Ryan Wheatley is expected to contribute this year.

FS - Jonathan Banks should return to captain the secondary.

SS - This position really worries me, as we lose our top 2 players and will need sophomore Jamerson Love to step up and make plays. Incoming recruit Terry Lake may step in and challenge Love for the starting job.

K/P - Disaster looms, as we lose Heath Hutchins, who manned both spots. I have a walk on from last year who is awful, and an incoming recruit with a D+ leg. There will be alot of 4th down attempts for the Bulldogs on the positive side of the field in 2012 I think.

All in all, the players leaving stage will literally make or break my team.

9. JrRawlins

god please give my players some great progression...... otherwise my defense is gonna really suck next year..... my linebackers are stuck in mud 80 percent of the time.....

[​IMG]

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I gave up like 200 yards rushing per game...any defense would be better than no defense, LOL.

11. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

I'm with you, my entire defense is battling for a position. The sad part, last night I was watching parts of the South Carolina vs. Southern Miss game. They said the secondary of South Carolina was supposed to be the strong part of their defense. With me, there is no strong part of their defense on the video game.

12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Starters in bold
    Recruits in italics

Quarterback
    Sr (RS) Sean Renfree
    Jr (RS) Sean Schroeder
    So (RS) Brandon Connette
    So (RS) Anthony Boone
    Fr (RS) Will Smith

All of my quarterbacks return barring transfers. Renfree and Schroeder are pretty even, but barring a really strong spring it will be Renfree again.

Halfback
    So (RS) Storm Johnson
    Jr Josh Snead
    Sr (RS) Jay Hollingsworth
    Sr (RS) Desmond Scott
    Sr Patrick Kurunwune
    Fr Darryl Jennings

Snead started all but one game this year, and was pretty dynamic rushing and catching out of the backfield (despite being lower rated).
    I wouldn't be surprised if one of the juniors transfers. Desmond Scott is solid but the others are pretty ineffective.
    The big news here is the eligibility of Storm Johnson who transferred in from Miami (FL). My offense will shift to take advantage of Storm Johnson.
    I think Darryle Jennings is going to be pretty good when he arrives on campus, but he will redshirt unless he comes in really good.

Fullback
    Jr (RS) Ryan Hall
    Fr (RS) B.J. Myrick

Two year starter George Pearkes is gone, but I am high on both of these guys, who should see more time in my new system.

Wide Receiver
    Sr Conner Vernon
    Sr Tony Foster
    Jr (RS) Corey Gattis
    Fr (RS) Josh Washington
    So (RS) Braxton Deaver
    So (RS) Brandon Braxton
    Fr Quincy Hudson
    Fr Dennis Johnson

Donavon Varner and Josh Trezvant will be missed here, but Varner is a stud and Foster could be good if he works hard in the offseason.
    Josh Washington may get time as the #4, and at 6'7" he is an impressive target. I like the freshmen coming in, but I have a ton of players here.

Tight End
    So (RS) Brandon Braxton
    Fr (RS) Joe Ramsey
    Fr (RS) Trey Weber
    Fr Michael Sparks

This will be an open competition...TE will be more important for me next year and I'm not sure Ramsey is heavy enough to block.
    Incoming freshman Michael Sparks has great size...we will see how he looks in fall practice.

Tackle
    Sr (RS) Irwin Conner
    Jr (RS) Perry Simmons
    Fr Nick Bryant

Guard
    Sr (RS) Brian Moore
    Jr (RS) Dave Harding
    So (RS) Takoby Cofield
    Fr (RS) Larry McCollum

Center
    Fr Vince Wood
    Fr (RS) Brady Howell

My offensive line is really going to have to improve next season, because I am losing both starting tackles and starting center. There will be some shuffling around to get talent on the field.
    I may end up starting a true freshman at center.

Defensive End
    Jr (RS) Justin Foxx
    Jr Jamal Wallace
    Fr (RS) Matt Cronin
    Sr (RS) Kenny Anunike
    Fr (RS) David Austin

Pretty underwelming here, no size or speed off the edge. We lose one starter, but he performed pretty weakly.

Defensive Tackle
    Jr (RS) Sydney Sarmiento
    Fr (RS) Chris Jackson
    Fr (RS) Desmond Ryan
    So (RS) Will Bryant
    So (RS) Steven Ingram

All-American Charlie Hatcher will be missed. I am thinking of moving to the 3-4, so some of my DT may move to DE.

OLB
    Jr (RS) Tyree Glover
    Jr (RS) August Campbell
    So (RS) Kelby Brown
    Jr (RS) Kevin Rojas
    Fr (RS) Jared Brown
    Fr Mike Cook

Everyone back, Glover and Campbell started last year, with Brown playing in the middle after injury. Not sure how the depth chart will shake out.

MLB
    Sr August Gamble
    So Aaron Murray
    Jr (RS) Ned Smith
    Fr Ryan Merrick

Everyone back. Murray played well in spots as a backup. Ryan Merrick has potential but may not be high enough on the depth chart to not get redshirted.

CB
    Sr Zach Greene
    Jr (RS) Lex Butler
    Jr (RS) Taylor Sowell
    Sr (RS) Johnny Williams
    Fr (RS) Kyle Joseph

Everyone back, I keep saying that but my defense was so bad last year. Hopefully some of these young guys can grow up.

S
    Sr Walt Canty
    Sr (RS) Jordan Byas
    Sr (RS) Jeffrey Faris
    Sr (RS) Lee Butler
    Jr (RS) Anthony Young Wiseman
    Fr Brett Freeman

Matt Daniels leaving hurts, he is a fantastic safety. I need to recruit harder here because I have 4 seniors.

K
    Fr Brandon Higgins

P
    Fr Justin Dixon

My special team players are horrible, I will miss my senior kicker.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    4 SRs at safety? I got it real bad this year with three. Lots of luck mang... lol.

14. JrRawlins

I have tried to redshirt a senior before...... and the bastid went ahead and graduated.... i was pissed....

15. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

LOL

16. Dru50

After players leaving, the following position battles will heat up for Miss St:

HB - Vandy transfer Zac Stacy will compete with senior Vic Ballard and sophomore Nick Griffin. Stacy is the best all around back, while Ballard has the best short area burst and Griffin is the future for the team at the position. Ballard and Griffin don't have great carrying ratings so that could factor into the decision.

WR - Senior Brandon Heavens becomes the #1 WR, with juniors Robert Johnson and Michael Carr competing for the #2 position. Junior Chris Smith will step into the #4 WR spot.

17. JrRawlins

after position changes, we are essentially in the same spot in the secondary... really hoping this guy Barnes pans out at corner or we are screwed.... also chasing a FS that would solidify secondary for the next couple of years.... but he is a longshot and ODonnell is more than likely gonna line up as the starter for the Wildcats this season, which is probably not a good thing....

18. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

KENTUCKY WILDCATS 2012 POSITION BATTLES

1. QB: Morgan Newton is back for his SR year & hopes to lead the Wildcats to a bowl bid.

2. HB: Donald Russell is looking to have another 1000 yd season before leaving for the NFL.

3. FB: Greg Meisner comes back for his SR year, but if Kentucky can land recruit FB Brad Gandy, might have some competition.

4. WR: SR Larod King is now the #1 WR. At 6'4 he will be a tall target. The #2 WR spot is up for grabs, but it looks like SR EJ Fields has the edge over SR Matt Roark. Fields is 6'4 & Roark is 6'5 so Kentucky will have some tall WRs at the # 1, 2 & 3 spots. Missouri all over again (y).

5. TE: JR Alex Smith is now the starter.

6. OLINE: The only spot that might be open is LT spot. SO Chandler Burden is starter, but with incoming FRs Joe Glover & Michael McKinney might put up a fight for that spot.

7. DLINE: The DLINE comes back intact. JR DT Brandon Moore slides into the open DT spot.

8. LB: All LBs come back intact.

9. DB: The CBs come back intact, but the biggest change of the Kentucky roster will be at the safety positions. We will be starting 2 true FRs at both safety spots & there will true FRs as backups. FR Josh Sowell is the starting SS, but FS spot is opent competition between FRs Corneulius Hines & Luke Royal.

10. K: The kicker comes back.

11. P: We will have a true FR starting in Lorenzo Peterson.

19. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

we will have competitions at DE, MLB,CB,S.

DE i am hopong my 3 star ath will be good there. MLB i am screwed with kuechly leaving early. I had a guy i liked, but wanted him to sit another yr. at CB all of my new guys should take over and be a upgrade there. S i am probably putting Marks at SS and leaving oke at FS.