2012 Recruiting Spotlight

Discussion in 'Overdrive' started by RyanC, Aug 14, 2011.

1. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

[​IMG]

Week 1
    :4stars:QB Josh Griffin, #2 QB - Florida State
    :4stars:WR Mark Culp, #26 WR - Miami
    :4stars:TE Paul Watson, #8 TE - USC
    :4stars:T Nicholas Johnson, #7 T - Bama
    :3stars:G Jeremy Bennett, #21 G - Miami
    :4stars:MLB Rick Schmidt, #2 MLB - USC
    :4stars:CB Obi Briggs, #13 CB - Oregon
    :3stars:P Marques Slaughter, #6 P - Penn State
    :4stars:ATH/HB Dan O'Neal, #9 ATH - Utah

This week we sit down with the #2 QB in the nation Josh Griffin.

ESPNU: Josh, you had a great HS career in Florida, what about the 'Noles compelled you to stay in state and play with Coach BigKing?

Josh: I grew up an FSU fan, and I know that Coach BigKing has the ability to turn things around in Talahassee, I loved the way his offense grew last year, and I feel that I could be a huge help to this offense.

ESPNU: You have the fastest 40 time of any QB recruit, how does that affect your game?

J: Well, I enjoy getting outside the pocket and making plays with my feet, I feel like I am at my best when plays break down.

ESPNU: Along those lines, what do you have to say to your detractors who say that you are not a true passer?

J: I would say just wait until I get on the field in an FSU uniform, I know I have holes in my passing game but I will work hard to improve and hopefully earn the starting job at FSU.

2. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Recruiting Breakdown

Welcome to the breakdown portion of our show, this is where we take a look at some of the big recruiting battles in the nation and our insider tells us who he thinks will sign where

Brent Robinson - Brent is the top player in the nation, who could end up a two way player at LB and FB. He has Ohio State rated at the top of his list, but sources tell me that Wisonsin and LSU are poised to make a strong push for him.

Chauncey Campbell - Campbell is the top WR prospect, and he is already drawing comparisons to GT legend Calvin Johnson at 6'5" with insane speed. He looks to be an Auburn lock at the moment, but don't count out Bama just yet, this could be rough for them to lose out on this kind of talent.

Corey Adams - This 5'11" burner is one of the top players in TX, but he has no interest in in state schools, OU has the lead, but OSU is right on their tails and has yet to offer, with their glaring holes at WR, this could be big recruit if Coach gwill can get him.

Earl Little - Alabama and Auburn fight over yet another WR, Bama leads and from the sounds of it they will secure a commitment from one of the top route runners in the class.

Michael Jordan - Jordan is looking like a ston-cold lock to end up at Oregon, but OSU and Bama are looming. With a name like his, he is destined for greatness, but his all around top tier WR skills don't hurt.

T.J. Wiggins - Does anybody want this kid? South Carolina, Clemson, and Penn State are his top 3 but none of them have offered yet. Could he be passed up by all 3?

Andy White - The most athletically gifted RB in the class, White has received 5 offers, including ones from FSU and Miami. The Noles lead, but Wiscy and Texas are right behind, it should be a dogfight for this big time RB

Tim Branch - South Carolina and Clemson are 1-2 but Clemson has yet to offer. I believe the Gamecocks will snatch him, but if Clemson gets invested it could be a scrum

Trevor Smith - UGA, South Carolina, and Bama are 1-2-3, right now the Dawgs have the advantage and have yet to offer, but sources close to Smith said that after their NC last year, he would like to play with Coach Cocky, however the 0-2 start could scare him away.

Andrew James - Penn State leads, but hated rival South Carolina is right behind them, he projects at QB and at 6'6" 215 lbs he could be a commanding presence

That is all the time we have for this week, come back next week for commit updates as well as more discussion and interviews.

3. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

i like the way youre doing this.

4. InfiniteMTX

InfiniteMTX Walk On

5. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

It's going to be a tight battle all season long between Clemson and USuC for alot of our highly regarded recruits.

6. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

And by highly regarded recruits he means 1 star fullbacks.

7. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

8. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Commit Update
    :4stars:QB Jamil Horner, #3 QB - LSU
    :4stars:TE Shawn Smith, #11 TE - OSU
    :3stars:TE Josh Young, #23 TE - Bama
    :4stars:FS Sam Jackson, #2 FS - FSU
    :5stars:ATH/QB Andrew James, #5 ATH - Penn State

This week we have the #26 recruit in the nation and recent Nittany Lion commit Andrew James.

ESPNU: Andrew, the services have you listed as an athlete and not a position specific recruit, is their any chance you will play another position?

AJ: I would play anywhere Coach Infinite wants, but I am a QB at heart and I will fight tooth and nail to play the QB position.

ESPNU: You had an offer from defending National Champions South Carolina, why did you end up choosing Penn State over them?

AJ: Their victory of the Gamecocks in week one had a lot to do with it, I enjoyed the way the moved the ball and how they ran the offense, and I think my skillset would fit in better with them than with South Carolina.

ESPNU: That's all the time we have, thank you for stopping in Andrew and good luck at Penn State

AJ: Thank you.

9. InfiniteMTX

InfiniteMTX Walk On

nice....... future star at QB. Best QB in the country

10. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Hey man, where's Clemson's two commits? We got a :4stars:MLB and a :5stars: WR, no love!

11. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I add them when they show up the next week. They will be up with the next update lol

12. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

13. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Update
    :4stars:HB Jarvis Kennedy, #21 HB - LSU
    :5stars:WR Patrick Miller, #10 WR - Clemson
    :4stars:TE Derek Burch, #1 TE - FSU
    :4stars:TE Clayton Walker, #9 TE - USC
    :4stars:DE Phil McKenzie, #7 DE - Oregon
    :4stars:MLB Nick Temple, #4 MLB - Clemson
    :4stars:SS Ryan Wilson, #2 SS - FSU
    :3stars:K Brian Brown, #1 K - Bama
    :3stars:K Eric Ford, #4 K - FSU
    :3stars:K Reggie James, #11 K - LSU

clayandlbf, how does it feel to pick up your first 5 star player and how much did your ACC title do to affect recruiting?

BigKing, you are having a down year on the field, but your recruiting has been outstanding, how do you think this class will help you make a run at the ACC title?

14. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

What you are seeing at Clemson University in regards to recruiting, is several years in the making. Our coaches have long established relationships with these recruits and their families, some starting back when these kids were just freshmen in high school. In alot of cases, the Tigers were the first to offer these kids. If the Tigers can stop having self-defeating loses, like the one last week against Duke, this could be a special year for the Tigers, on the playing field and recruiting trail.

15. BigKing

There is no doubt we've taken our lumps early in the year switching to a strictly spread offense, but an ACC Championship is still not out of the question. We've recruited many guys that will fit perfectly in the Seminoles new hybrid offensive scheme that should be in full effect for 2013 and just might be on display this week versus Miami. In the end these kids believe in Florida State and I fully believe a National Championship run can happen as early as next year.

16. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Update
    :4stars:TE Matt Swain, #2 TE - FSU
    :4stars:C Adam Hall, #2 C - Bama
    :4stars:C Robbie Kelly, #6 C - Clemson
    :4stars:DE Glenn Hills, #5 DE - Oregon
    :4stars:DE Andy Harrison, #9 DE - Oregon
    :4stars:CB George Dudley, #2 CB - Bama
    :5stars:ATH/FB Kris Newby, #4 ATH - FSU
    :4stars:ATH/CB Avery Bradley, #6 ATH - USC

17. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Recruiting Battles

Andy White - It is a logjam at the top of White's list, with FSU leading but Wisconsin is right behind them, my sources tell me that White is a soft commit to the 'Noles, so expect a decision from him soon.

Tim Branch - One of the top prospects in South Carolina is down to the top two teams in the state, so look for him to stay in SC for his college career, Clemson is the likely team to sign this kid and he could make a decision as early as next week.

Troy Hamby - Hamby started the year with Auburn as his top choice, but it quickly narrowed down to Oregon and Miami, the Ducks made a strong push and Hamby will most likely end his recruiting and join Coach RyanC's squad

James Taylor - Clemson, UGA, and South Carolina are all neck and neck, but it is looking like Coach Clay is going to take yet another top SC player.

Michael Thomas - The top guard in the nation is currently being courted by Alabama and OSU, sources say he is a Bama soft commit, but OSU has a visit this week, so don't count out the Buckeyes.

Justin Wright - The #2 DT in the class is down to Bama, PSU, and OSU. All three are within inches of each other, but the likely scenario is he stays in state to play for the Tide

18. BigKing

I heard they almost gave this kid 6 stars.

19. Magoo

Magoo Walk On

Bama signs a 5:5stars: WR Earl Little and updated Bama's recruiting total in the Bama thread

[​IMG]

20. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Update
    :4stars:QB T.J. Wiggins, #4 QB - South Carolina
    :4stars:QB Barry Griffin, #6 QB - USC
    :5stars:HB Andy White, #3 HB - FSU
    :5stars:HB Tim Branch, #4 HB - Clemson
    :4stars:HB Troy Hamby, #12 HB - Oregon
    :4stars:HB Frank Clay, #13 HB - Miami
    :5stars:WR Earl Little, #4 WR - Bama
    :5stars:WR James Taylor, #9 WR - Clemson
    :5stars:WR Anthony Manning, #13 WR - LSU
    :4stars:WR Brett Johnson, #22 WR - Oregon
    :4stars:TE Eric Brown, #3 TE - LSU
    :4stars:TE Josh Cowan, #7 TE - Clemson
    :4stars:T Eric Snyder, #12 T - Oregon
    :4stars:G Michael Thomas, #1 G - OSU
    :4stars:G Antonio Olsen, #3 G - FSU
    :4stars:G Scott Rodgers, #7 G - FSU
    :4stars:C William Logan, #3 C - South Carolina
    :4stars:DT Justin Wright, #2 DT - Bama
    :4stars:DT Tim Olsen, #3 DT - Bama
    :4stars:DT Damian Harris, #6 DT - LSU
    :4stars:CB Willie Brewer, #6 CB - OSU
    :4stars:CB James Williams, #8 CB - FSU
    :4stars:CB Mark McCarthy, #9 CB - USC
    :3stars:K Titus Jackson, #9 K - Bama
    :4stars:ATH/LB Matt Taylor, #19 ATH - South Carolina

21. pnc

pnc Walk On

It figures I finally get the number one rated player at his position and its a one star fullback. lucky me.

22. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

He isn't the number one at his position. BigKing got a five star fullback. How a fb is over a three star is rediculous.

23. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

BigKing's was an ATH recruit.

24. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

25. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

also my friend signed a 4 star ATH in his offline dynasty that ended up being a kicker. I think he was somewhere around 86 ovr lol