2012 Slider Lab

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Guys,

I want to take this is pieces, rather than trying to get something completely right all at once.

I am going to start by focusing on the user passing game. After that I'll look at the user running game.

After that, I'll do the same for the CPU on both, and see if I can find a good balance.

Anyone can attempt to do one of these steps for me. It's always nice to have another opinion.

Step #1 - Create a believable CPU secondary / pass rush.

More when I have some thoughts.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

First Attempt - Just throwing numbers around really. WR/DB interaction looked about right, but I haven't tested much.

Difficulty: Heisman

User/CPU

QB ACC: 35/40
    Pass BLK: 65/45
    Catch: 50/50
    RB Ability: 50/50
    Run Block: 60/50
    Coverage: 55/30
    Pass Rush: 65/25
    INT: 50/25
    Rush D: 50/40
    Tackle: 50/40
    FG Pow: 50/50
    FG ACC: 30/40
    Punt Pow: 50/50

Threshold: 0

My guess is that these might be a touch on the easy side, but I thought I'd adjust big and work back. CPU ran on me pretty good, and completed some passes and sustained a few drives, but I didn't play a whole lot. I could pass the ball, but I still got sacked, and when the CPU got aggressive and started pressing (as they always do) things got difficult.

My goal is to tie the passing game to the QB. I don't want average arms bombing away downfield - I want that to be an advantage given to the guys who take pocket passers and develop them - so I think a more realistic DB interaction (which opens up some lanes) coupled with a realistic number of QB errors and bad throws, should give us what we're looking for.

I'm using my QB as an example. He's fairly accurate (88) but not terribly strong (85) so I shouldn't really be hitting too many deep balls, especially when his awareness number is only (68). many QB bad throws are tied to AWR. It's the thing that makes a ball sail, or sends on into the safety's lap, when Andrew Luck's mistake would fly out of bounds. Whether you miss, or miss right at a defender, is usually based on AWR. Look for more picks to be the result of poor throws or throwing on the move rather than due to clairvoyant defenders.

Right now, I'm only really working on the passing game, though I dropped the threshold and the CPU tackling, hoping that I can keep from getting run down in open field by DTs. I had good luck with it so far. Only broke a couple tackles, but one went for a big gain before I was run down by a safety. It was Devier Posey (who's fast, but not a burner) so it made sense, and the guy needed time to run me down. It looked about right.

Anyway, give'em a try and tell me what you think. I'm mostly interested in the look and feel right now. It it happens to be a bit too easy, we can address difficulty a bit later.

3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

How's the read option looking with this set?

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I imagine it would be slightly better, but I haven't tested it yet. Feel free to take a few snaps.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm thinking the user Qb acc might drop quite a bit more. The gaps are there, and they seem to play pretty well (good coverage guys stay close more often, while good WRs create more space) but I'm not missing much. I should miss much ten yards and in, but everything else should be a bit more dangerous, I think.

6. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I'll get some games in this afternoon hopefully

7. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I'll take a look when I get home from work...

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

::Crickets Chirping::

You guys got any input?

9. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Tried last night... Read option still gets blown up but from the read side interior d-linemen... You almost have to veer further outside if you want to gain any yardage, which makes it cheesy IMO. Not sure what to do about all that... Again, if you hand it off on the proper read, it runs well and basically normal. Some gains, some losses, etc. Problem comes when the backside DE chases the RB and you keep with the QB. I think its almost worse than 11. In 11, if you were patient, you could at least break an occasional normal gain or huge gain. Maybe the rush D is what blows it up?

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think it could be a pre-snap thing, too. If extra guys are coming, the DE runs free a bit more easily. Now, the DE can still make plays even is you make the right read, too. I noticed that many times, if the DE gets touched at all, it's best to give to the HB, cuz the DE won't catch up. Now, though, with the Load and Speed options being pretty useless, most spread running is tied to the jet sweep and the read, so it ain't easy. Maybe a threshold boost could help guys get away. It wouldn't help the pro guys necessarily, unless they get into space, but it might help the read a lot. I'm gonna zero it and see what I get.

11. DC

DC Shake n Bake

i think shaun had said somewhere that threshold needed to be at zero

12. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Oh yeah pre snap reads make a huge difference... Even still I think the 0 threshold may be worth a look...

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think the 0 could help, but it'll help the DE too, especially if they have high ACC. But, they need AGI to turn back against their momentum and make the play, so I bet the 0 is a big advantage for the HB/QB overall. Still haven't tried it yet, but I will tonight.

Any other thoughts on this set? I don't want to put anything in place and then get roasted for it.

14. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Oh don't worry... As Mish, you're gonna get lambasted regardless ;)

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

Hey Arch, thanks for working so hard on these sliders. We all owe you a big thanks for taking on the challenge of testing sliders. I will try to get in a game tomorrow and test out these settings.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm having pretty good luck so far. Nothing weird. Still some high jumping linebackers and clairvoyant ends (the slip screen - one of my favorites - is pretty useless) but overall it looks pretty good. I'd like to see if the pro style guys are too powerful on the ground, but my numbers have been about right.

17. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Played a few games with these last night with my Washington team. Florida State kicked our ass in the run game, but my line isn't that good, so it's probably about right. I played LSU on the road and Oregon on a neutral site, no issues in those games. I'm sure we'll have to adjust as we go. I also moved the speed threshold to 0 for the last two, it felt better in those games.
    Keep up the good work, it's greatly appreciated.

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think the zero threshold is going to stay. It just feels better. As long as no one is getting funky results, I'm going to implement this set at the advance. We have the day to talk me out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I'm with you... Plan to do the same in The Pride.

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Looks like we had some excitement in the first week with the new set. Stop in and give an opinion when you guys get a chance.

21. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I don't know if it's just because Oregon has so much speed, but this was my hardest game yet. My receivers were blanketed all game, and when I did find them in some space, they dropped the ball after taking a pre-school level hit from a defender. If it wasn't for a little luck - intercepting an option pitch and executing on some well-timed running plays - I'd be 1-3 right now.

Due to the Ducks' D', I didn't really challenge their secondary too much after the 1st quarter. Lots of dinks and dunks and throw aways. When I did have the balls to try to throw the football down field, nothin' funky happened with the LB or safties. I tried to hit the flats a couple of times, only to have my pass batted down by a DE pass rushing or dropping back into zone (realistic), but I was glad to see the ball hit the ground and not get picked (also realistic).

Aside from a botched hand off on a crucial 3rd and inches late in the game, I never felt cheated. I was nervous all game. Like I said before in an earlier thread, I've never had this much fun playing the game. Winning, for me at least, is hard work.

22. jca312

jca312 Walk On

My game with Cal felt pretty good. I think we were pretty evenly matched and my 4 ints were the difference. The ints were bad throws and should have been intercepted. I'll be interested to see how the game plays as my team gets more talented, but so far so good.

23. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Good point. You and I are both battling with average to slightly-above average teams, while others in our league are rated much higher. This will certainly affect the playing experience.

24. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

This was a frustrating game...vandy played better than georgia did and I was the home team in this one. I couldnt pass at all, note could I run very well. I'm not sure why but I felt the default heisman sliders played better.

25. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I was playing bama but I agree that there may atleast need to be a few more tweaks. I was completely dominated. I couldn't run at all. I don't think I ran once after the 1st quarter. Band my passes were either quick slants or Greg Childs beating a guy off a press because they pressed every time and I literally had 2 secs to throw. 90% of the time.

I had 300 yards passing but that's just because of Childs beating a guy deep twice and Adams beating a guy once.