2012 Sports Illustrated Pre-Season Top 25

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Fmode11, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

2. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

USC is a joke. Barkley is a joke. Neither is ready for an LSU or Alabama.

3. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Well way to go big... I wouldn't go that far. I'm interested to see how Alabama replaces all that star power on defense. And LSU, well, that offense is going to get slaughtered this year without a QB. SC, Arkansas, Georgia and Florida all have more fire power on offense.

I'm pretty tired though of hearing about the SEC. I wish I could find the interview clip of Urban Meyer talking about the differences between the SEC and B1G. Yes, the SEC is faster but he talked about how the B1G was much more physical.

Anyway, USC just has to get past Oregon and they'll be playing for a BCS National Championship. Then next year, shit gets real.

4. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Well, after 6-7 years of getting dominated by the SEC in every major bowl game I would be tired of us too. Oh wait, Ohio St. did manage to finally win a meaningful bowl game last year when they beat the SEC's third or fourth best team in Arkansas. And to say that LSU has no quarterback is pretty laughable seeing as though they are going into this year with the best QB they've had in years. Zack Mettenberg, look him up. And I won't even go into the depth at RB. So to say that the LSU offense is going to get "slaughtered", pretty funny statement to anybody who actually knows who and what they have this year.

But yea, you're right. USC only has to get past Oregon to make it to the National Championship. Which is exactly why they're a joke. And I hope, I really do, that they do make it past Oregon and get to the title game. They just better hope it isn't against LSU or Alabama. Barkley nor USC is battle proven. Kiffin is not either. Not ready for the big stage. And I promise Barkley isn't ready for an SEC defense.

How do you say that Georgia and Florida have more offense fire power? Come on dude. Florida doesn't even have a QB now that Driskell is out, and Georgia has nobody other than Aaron Murray. Once Crowell got kicked off that pretty much did them in. I'll give you SC and Arkansas. SC especially. They have weapons. And a pretty good defense to match. Won't be surprised at all if the win the SEC East this year. Bama, like you said, lost too many people, imo. I don't see them contending this year. LSU wins the west.

Bottom line is we can all pitch in with our opinions of who has what, and of course everyone is going to back their team. We'll see once September finally gets here! All I know is I'm confident in my sqaud. And even after losing Mathieu, I don't see anyone stopping us with the way Mettenberg has looked in this offseason. We finally have a QB that can match our defense. We're pumped on the bayou, believe DAT!!

5. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

First result on google search for said LSU QB:

However, the real question is: Why are so many recruits choosing other schools over talent-rich LSU? Kiel is the latest of many commitments, including No, 5 inside linbacker Denzel Devall and No. 1 safety Landon Collins, who have later changed their minds. Not only have the recruits chosen another school over LSU, they have chosen another school over their home.

These commitments have abandoned their home state for "greener pastures" of Alabama. They have left and gone to a much more stable program because there is no leadership withing the Tiger football organization. It is a rag-tag group of incredible talent left to fend for themselves on the field of play.

Les Miles, often known for questionable decision making, made an impression on Jan. 9 in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. It is an impression LSU fans will remember forever: Les Miles is a lesser coach than Nick Saban. Miles may be a great coach with a championship ring, but Saban is a great coach with three championships.

Unconfirmed reports surfaced hours after LSU's embarrassing loss in the BCS National Championship that there was a fight in the LSU locker room. These unconfirmed reports confirm what we already know to be true: LSU is a program surrounded by luck.

LSU fans cannot question that the current program is Nick Saban's doing. Without Saban, Miles would have had to build the team from scratch, rather than inheriting a talent-rich team.

6. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

I would agree with Urban though. The Big 10 is much more physical than the SEC. They run more pro style offense and defense. Which is why their quarterback always turn out to be NFL studs. And SEC quarterbacks never make it in the NFL. SEC is built on speed and the spread-O. Not really built for pocket quarterbacks. Of course Stafford is the exception, and possibly Ryan Mallett. But other than those two guys there's a long history of SEC quarterbacks failing miserably in the NFL. But speed dominates in college. At least in the top tier of teams. And at least in the past decade.

7. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

What is that supposed to prove? You're comparing the two best teams in the country. Lol. And they're both, once again, in the SEC. ;)

8. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

9. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Not proving anything, I just searched that QB and that was the result. I did read another article that would have had some Kiel kid starting as a freshman had he not de-commited.

I agree with the speed issue in college football compared to the NFL. There's certainly speed in the NFL but is much more contained in a general sense than the exploitation in the college game.

10. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Well, is this another Cam Newton story in the SEC? I didn't realize Mettenberger was a transfer with a history.

In March 2010, Mettenberger, then in his second year at Georgia, was arrested and charged with, among lesser charges, sexual battery of a woman at a bar in Remerton, Ga. Mettenberger pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts of sexual battery. He was sentenced to two concurrent 12-month probationary periods, ordered to pay $2,000 in fines and perform 40 hours of community service. That April he was dismissed from the team.

So is he a one and done per eligibility?

11. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

I'm not sure if Kiel would have started or not. If not, he at least would have been in a competition this off season. #1 QB in the country, I'm sure he's pretty good. I was syked when I learned we signed him. But I like what I'm hearing about Mettenberg. Got a cannon for an arm, which is something LSU hasn't had since....EVER!

Kiel went to ND though, along with the top WR recruit in the country, so if ND is ever going to turn their program around the next 4 years will be it!

12. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Nah, he's a Junior this year.

13. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

ND will never put it all together. With major recruiting classes year after year I can not figure out why they can not stay consistent all year. They showed up big against MSU lats year while allowing Michigan and Denard to do whatever they wanted on offense.

Speaking of a cannon for an arm... I also seem to remember:

[​IMG]

14. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Good ole' Jamarcus. Lol. I don't think anyone inside Baton Rouge expected his NFL career to go any other way than what it did. The media hyped him up so much because of his "big arm". They failed to see what we as LSU fans saw all along, his ignorance! Dude was such an idiot at QB with the decisions he made. Still can't believe he went 1 overall. Lol

I don't know what's up with ND. Saw their new uniforms yesterday though. Pretty attrocious.

15. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

You guys done with the shenanigans?

=====================================

Some thoughts of mine:

Ou will have a let down, they are already suffering OL injuries/cancer.

Alabama will "regress" like they did in 2010 after the Title, but they will be a better overall team then that year. If that makes ANY sense. Defending Champs, Nick Saban, return a solid group of players = #1 until proven otherwise.

USC: not totally sold on this team yet

LSU: Another great defense minus Tyrann which might prove better in the long term besides in the return game.

Oregon: ehhhh not sure

Two SEC darkhorses: South Carolina and a pretty loaded Georgia team

16. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Shoooooooot... Sitting at the office, it's Friday and I ain't got shit to do Smokey. What else better to do then BS about college football.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

To be fair Kwon never had a commitable offer from Alabama. Not because he's not a good player but because he isn't a 3-4 linebacker, much better suited for the 4-3. So with the limited scholrship numbers now Bama offered him a greyshirt, he did the right thing going to LSU. But on that note no one should think Bama is raiding Louisiana, LSU has that place locked down and Saban may pull one or two every now and then but Bama has lost way more than they have won. Collins and Devall were among the highest rated we've signed from Lousiana. I wouldn't take this is meaning Bama is gonna start getting who the want out of the state. Just think of it as more of a banner year for Bama recruiting Louisiana.

As far as Meyer goes, funny how the guy who used to talk about how his team was the fastest in America is talking about physicality. The Big 10 may be more physical OVERALL but I can assure you Bama and LSU are as physical as any team in the country.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Still not over Collins choosing Bama. His mom is the sh** though. I was watching the game when it all went down. Priceless moment!

19. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Living out here in SoCal I hear alot about the Trojans....their offense is going to be sick, with a top 5 pick at QB, a really good OL and 2 WR's that may be top 10-15 picks when they come out. The trouble area for them is defense, specifically their lack of depth. They are already getting hit with injuries on that side of the ball in preseason camp (their entire starting LB corp missed practice for most of last week) which could spell problems.

At the end of the day though, it was tough to find an offense playing better than USC's was the last month of last season, and every contributing player on that group (aside from T Kalil) is back. They could go undefeated if their offense scores 40-45 points a game as they were the last 5 games in 2011.

20. JFunk34

LOL. That was pretty much of a bitch move by her. But Landon stuck to his guns. Now she is on board and is even trying to sway Landon's little bro to Bama to play with him. It all worked out in the end.

21. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

[​IMG]

Go Jackets (Tickets came in today) :)

• Like Like x 2
  22. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Family full of traitors. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  23. JFunk34

Some one in the family had to stop the insanity. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

This isn't the SI Top 25 Swimsuit Models thread? :(

• Like Like x 2
  25. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

NC State at #25 huh? That should help us move up the ladder when we smack them around Week 1!