2012 Texas Longhorns

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by hornfaninbama, Feb 27, 2010.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

2012 Texas Longhorns

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    Week Opponent Result Off PoG Def PoG
    1 Wyoming Win 51-19 Tre Newton Alex Okafor
    2 @ Penn State Win 52-38 D.J. Monroe Tariq Allen
    3 @ Ohio State Loss No One Dese rves It
    4 Bye
    5 Baylor Win 66-13 Chris Whaley Calvin Howell
    6 OU Win 47-42 Garrett Gilbert Calvin Howell
    7 Missouri Win 54-14 Garrett Gibert Patrick Nkwopara
    8 @ Tech Win 58-6 DJ Monroe Tariq Allen
    9 @ Colorado
    10 Oklahoma State
    11 @ Kansas
    12 Florida State
    13 Texas A&M
    14 Bye
    15 Bye
    Con
    Bowl

2. hornfaninbama

Texas Longhorn Season Preview

Longhorns Look to Rebound With New Coach

Austin, TX- There is a new sheriff in Austin and Coach Bulgy says he has finally ascended to his “dream job.”

“I have always wanted to be the head football coach at Texas, there are a lot of very good things about this program, and I knew I wanted to be in charge of it one day. Luckily I was able to have enough success to be able to get here.”

Coach Bulgy is right about the inherent positive qualities of the Texas football program, but the program has fallen on hard times in recent years. Last season’s dismal 2-10 (1-7 in the Big XII) campaign led to the hiring of Coach Bulgy. Bulgy has been at LSU the past 2 seasons, and last season led them to a victory in the Rose Bowl over Ohio State.

There is talent on the Texas roster, and Coach Bulgy is a coach who knows how to manipulate that talent. Last season at LSU Bulgy knew he had 2 very talented backs that he wanted to touch the ball as often as possible. Neither player went for over 1000 yards but both totaled over 600 yards on the ground and multiple 100 yard games. He has looked to spread the ball among all of his talented players. 4 receivers on LSU’s roster last season had over 450 yards receiving.

“I want the best players to touch the ball as often as possible. If I have to split carries, or snaps I will.” Coach Bulgy is referring to the budding QB battle between returning starter Garrett Gilbert and early enrollee and #1 QB Lawrence Brown.

In previous stops Coach Bulgy has been a coach who has looked to establish the run before going to the pass, but if he plans to keep the same philosophy at Texas he isn’t saying.

“My assistant coaches and I have just begun evaluating talent, we don’t know yet who we are going to put on the field and in what situations. As far as philosophy, I’ll keep that to myself until the first game.”

Offense

Quarterback:

Right now there are questions as to who the starter for the Texas Longhorns actually will end up being. Garrett Gilbert has to be considered the frontrunner simply based on experience, but newcomer :5stars: Lawrence Brown will be given the opportunity to compete for the job. An unnamed source on Coach Bulgy’s staff has said that the job may not be decided until the season is underway.

Running Back:

Tre Newton and Jeremy Hills are the headliners of a talented crop of running backs. Both are SR (RS) and have a mountain of experience to impart to the younger running backs on the roster. If Coach Bulgy is true to form look for both players to have the potential to impact games. JR (RS) Chris Whaley and So (RS) Byron Thompson are expected to contribute depth.

Wide Receiver:

DeSean Hales and D.J. Monroe look to be the starters at WR, and will give Coach Bulgy two players who have the ability to really stretch the field. Monroe has 97 speed and Hales 95. After them the talent drops off noticeably. The plan is to use TE D.J. Grant as a flex TE in 4 and 5 wide sets.

Tight End:

SR (RS) D.J. Grant is the unquestioned starter and brings incredible athleticism to the TE position. Grant has incredible speed for a TE and will be used often as a target for whichever QB gets the start for the Longhorns. Keith McFarland a Jr. and Fr (RS) Conrad Keller will battle for the second TE spot, and Keller is considered the front runner because of his size and blocking ability. Although it wouldn’t be a surprise to see McFarland win the spot because of his superior pass catching ability.

Offensive Line:

The Longhorns will look to concentrate on the offensive line during recruiting this season as depth is certainly an issue. Both tackles, right guard and center are backed up by freshmen. Four of the Horns offensive linemen could declare for the NFL draft following this season. Right guard Mark Buchanan is the only player who is certain to leave but Thomas Ashcraft, Mason Walters and Melvin Evans all will have the opportunity.

Defense

Ends:

Alex Okafor and Dravannti Johnson are the starters at DE for the Texas Longhorns. Both players are talented and fast even if they are a little on the light side at 240-245 pounds. They are backed up by Tevin Mims and J.J. Moore. The ends will be expected to create pressure, and also handle assignments in coverage. Okafor and Johnson have the ability to be impact players on the defensive side of the ball.

Tackles:

Look for lots of beef to be headed to Austin as the defensive tackles are also going to need depth next season. The Horns only have 3 DT on the roster right now and one is a JUCO transfer from Navarro Junior College, Randy Jordan. The Horns hope to stay with a base 4-3 look, but with so few defensive tackles it may not be an option.

Outside Linebacker:

Tariq Allen and Ryan Roberson are the stars of the defense. Both players are going to need to be dominant for Texas to return to National Title contender status. Both players have good speed for the position, and will need to be all over the field in order to slow down the powerful offenses in the Big XII.

Middle Linebacker:

While 2 proven commodities will lock down the edges, Cedric Rooney is being asked to man the middle. Rooney played well at times last year, but will really need to turn his play up a notch in order for Texas to play the level of defense required of title contenders.

Cornerback:

Marcus Davis will be counted on to lead the defensive backs in a return to the glory days of Thorpe Award winners and first round draft picks. He will be joined on the opposite side of the field by Brad Mills. Mills has the tools to be a first round draft pick. He is 6’2 with decent speed and great man cover skills. Cameron Watkins will play the role of nickel back, and Reginald Bell will be the 6th DB. This unit has great length with Davis being the shortest at 6’1.

Safety:

Kenny Vaccaro was recently moved from FS to SS and he will man that spot. Vaccaro was highly recruited coming out of Brownwood High School, and will be looking to capitalize on his first opportunity to start. Ben Norman will man the FS spot. He is a JR and is being looked at as a place holder for true freshman Tom Bridges. Bridges is the nephew of former child star Todd Bridges, and will have an important role on the field for the Horns this year.

Special Teams

Kicker:

Nate Robinson will handle the kicking duties for Texas this season and he will need to duplicate his effort from last season. Robinson finished 15-20 on FG and hit all his extra points.

Punter:

All-American Justin Tucker will handle punting for Texas. He can punt rugby style rolling to his left or right. Robinson put 29 punts inside the 20 yard line last season and will need the same level of success this year. Tucker will also handle Kick-off duties.

Returners:

D.J. Monroe and DeSean Hales will handle returns this season. They are the fastest players on the team and Coach Bulgy wants them to use their speed to get the ball up the field and set the offense up for short TD drives. Monroe averaged 24 yards per return last season, and Hales hasn’t returned kicks since High School.

3. hornfaninbama

Texas Rolls Wyoming

Horns Win 51-19

Austin, TX- The Texas Longhorns are halfway to equaling their win total from last season as Coach Bulgy got his inaugural win over the Wyoming Cowboys.

Texas rolled up 335 yards of offense and held the Cowboys to 272. The Horns were attacking from the opening snap as they sacked Wyoming QB Austyn Carta-Samuels 10 times. The QB battle didn’t look like much of a battle as Lawrence Brown finished the game 2-8 for 47 yards and 1 TD and Garrett Gilbert went 9-17 for 123 yards and a TD. Neither QB took over the game, but Gilbert didn’t have a fumble and a safety like Brown did.

Tre Newton and Chris Whaley paced the backfield carrying 24 times for 148 yards and 3 TD combined. Texas spread the ball among 4 running backs, but Byron Thompson and Jeremy Hills only totaled 37 yards on 7 carries.
    Bruce Davis caught 2 TD passes and DeSean Hales hauled in 4 passes for 52 yards. The Longhorns will have a lot of speed on the outside as the season goes along, but weren’t able to get D.J. Monroe very involved in the game plan.

LE Alex Okafor led Texas with 3 sacks and 5 TFL, but Cameron Watkins made a statement by making 11 tackles on the day as a backup SS. The DL for Texas looks like it may be dominant this season as RE Dravannti Johnson notched 2 sacks and DT Jeff Rodgers grabbed 2 more. Backup RE Tevin Mims also was able to gain a sack in mop up duty.

The Horns travel to #10 Penn State next week as they look to get their second win this season. The Horns will also be playing on National TV for the first time this season when they take on the Nittany Lions in Happy Valley.

4. hornfaninbama

Texas Upsets #9 Penn State

Longhorns Hold Off Late Rally

State College, PA- The Texas Longhorns pulled off a monumental upset for the program as it tries to rebound from last season’s 2-10 campaign. Coach Bulgy’s team defeated the #9 Penn State Nittany Lions 52 -38 at the Nittany Lions home field.

The Longhorns got off to a quick start jumping out to a 28-7 lead early in the second quarter. Penn State outscored Texas 31-17 from that point forward. The return game was crucial for Texas all day as D.J. Monroe had 287 yards on returns.

Texas knew it needed a big day from some of their playmakers in order to pull the upset, and most of them played very well. Tre Newton had 167 yards on 26 carries and 2 TD to lead Texas in rushing yards. DeSean Hales had 6 catches for 99 yards and a TD to lead the receivers. D.J. Monroe hauled in 5 catches for 70 yards and 2 TD’s, and he threw in 2 carries for 23 yards just for good measure. All those yards added up to a career high in yardage for Monroe at 380 total yards of offense. Garret Gilbert played well enough to win, but did give up 2 interceptions. Gilbert went down briefly in the second quarter, and true freshman Lawrence Brown completed a pass for 11 yards to convert a 3rd and 8. That conversion led to a Garrett Gilbert TD pass to DeSean Hales a few plays later.

“We had guys step up where we needed it tonight. D.J. had a huge game and I would love for him to touch the ball that much every game hopefully it will work out that way.†Monroe said, “I didn’t even realize I had done that much. I knew I had the ball a lot but I didn’t realize I got that much yardage.â€ÂÂ
    Tre Newton was able to solidify his spot as the unquestioned starting running back for the team. He broke the 100 yard mark early in the 4th, but he put Texas on his back down the stretch.

With 5:02 seconds left in the 4th quarter Tre Newton coughed up the football at the Penn State 20 yard line. Penn State capped off their incredible comeback with a TD pass from Kevin Newsome to James Andrews and took a 38-37 lead with 3:55 left in the 4th quarter.

On 1st and 10 Gilbert threw incomplete for Hales, and Newton took over. He broke a tackle in the backfield and two more before finally being dragged down at the 50 yard line. He slashed for 9 yards on the next play, and 24 on the next. He totaled 53 yards on 3 carries to jumpstart the Texas offense. Texas took the lead a few plays later on a 4 yard rush by Jeremy Hills. The Texas defense forced a 3 and out, and Newton carried 2 times for 28 yards and his second TD of the day.

Coach Bulgy said he liked the way his SR. impact running back took over the game at the end. “He looked like the guy we all know he can be. I really hope this is a starting point for him, and that he continues to play the way he did today.â€ÂÂ

Texas will need their impact players to step up again next week as they travel into another hostile Big 10 stadium to take on the #3 Ohio State Buckeyes.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Nice win man, sorry I couldn't play you last night, but I had an early day at the office today.

At least my boys put up a fight.

6. hornfaninbama

I didn't think they were going to. At the end of the 1st I was making plans to put in all the freshmen and backups. You have a great team the defense is really solid.

7. hornfaninbama

Rout 66

Texas defeats Baylor 66-13

Austin, TX- Texas started off the season at home before taking a tour of the Big 10. They went 1-1 beating Penn State, and losing to Ohio State. On Saturday they returned to Austin and destroyed Baylor behind a powerful offense and suffocating defense.

Texas' offense got untracked for the first time this season, and they put up nearly 600 yards of offense on the Bears. Even with the inflated totals the offense remained balanced behind 272 yards on the ground and 323 through the air.

Texas’ lead running back, Tre Newton, went down in the first quarter with a calf injury and didn’t return. Jr. Chris Whaley led the ground game and it never missed a beat. Whaley finished the day with 13 carries for 107 yards and 4 TD. He also caught one pass for 20 yards and his 5th TD of the game. Freshman Will Harrison helped carry the load with 12 carries for 71 yards. Texas had 3 running backs go over the 70 yard mark Saturday. Tre Newton carried 5 times for 79 yards before his exit.

Garrett Gilbert was flawless in the first quarter going 10-10 for 150 yards and 1 TD. And DeSean Hales and DJ Monroe both played well. Hales and Monroe both had 4 catches, but Monroe totaled more yards and caught a TD pass from Garrett Gilbert. Hales got a TD as well but it was a 7 yard scamper from the wildcat formation.

All the starters were out of the game at halftime, and Texas played 4freshmen on the offensive line in the second half.

Baylor scored on their first two offensive drives, but those two drives totaled 142 yards of their 272 yard total. For 3 and a half quarters Saturday the Texas defense held Baylor to 130 yards of offense. They held the offense to 1-11 on 3rd down conversions and only 8 first downs on the day.

Junior DT Calvin Howell was probably the defensive player of the game behind his 5 tackles and 3 TFL, but it was a game where the whole defense played well. Kenny Vaccaro, and Cameron Watkins also had 5 tackles. And backup DE Tevin Mims had 4 tackles, 3 TFL, and one sack all in the second half.

Coach Bulgy was asked about the prospects of Tre Newton being on the field next Saturday, and answered, “Newton would have been on the field had we needed him, luckily our other guys stepped up and allowed him to rest his calf. He will be back next Saturday. No question about it.†Texas plays #4 ranked Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl next week.

8. hornfaninbama

Texas Upsets #3 Oklahoma

Gilbert Outduels Wise

Dallas, TX- The Red River Shootout lived up to it’s name this season as the Texas Longhorns defeated the Oklahoma Sooners 47-42. It was an air show on Saturday as Garrett Gilbert and Alphonso Wise both set new school records for passing yards in a game.

Gilbert threw for 486 yards on 30-48 passing with 5 TD and 2 interceptions. Wise went 30-44 for 469 yards and 4 TD with 0 Int. It was rough on both defenses all day, but especially on Texas’. They got to Wise time and time again, but he kept slithering away. OU as a team broke over 20 tackles (I don’t know for sure but it has to be) with Wise breaking ELEVEN himself. Time and again the Texas defense put their hands on Wise only to watch him slip out and complete a deep pass. Gilbert was plagued by poor pass protection most of the day, but was only sacked 3 times.

Tre Newton managed to carry 15 times for 82 yards, but it was the wide receivers who stole the show. DJ Grant caught 9 passes for 154 yards and 2 TD. The last one was a beautiful one handed catch in the corner of the endzone as he was being hit, to ice the game. DJ Monroe added 7 catches for 112 yards and 2 more TD, and Daniel Walker caught 6 for 113 with no TD. DeSean Hales managed to haul in 7 passes for 81 yards and a TD he added 43 yards rushing and 173 yards returning kicks to give him a total of 297 offensive yards on the day.

Calvin Howell managed to end up with both sacks of Wise and was the defensive player of the game. The rest of the defense played well with 5 other players picking up at least 4 tackles. Coach Bulgy said he was very disappointed in the arm tackles that his players routinely attempted, and promised they would be working on it in practice this week. “I got so tired of that Ole bull, that I was tempted to put in some freshman.†Patrick Nkwopara got his first career start at MLB on Saturday, and look for that to continue, as Texas tries to get more speed on the field.

Texas hopes to break into the top 25 this week for the first time in over a season as they take on reeling Missouri in Austin.

9. hornfaninbama

Texas Dominates Mizzou

#19 Texas wins 54-14

Austin, TX- The Texas Longhorns had several prospects visiting this week to see Texas take on the Missouri Tigers, and most of them left happy after the 40 point whipping the Horns gave Mizzou.

Texas won behind a dominant effort from their offense on Saturday. Garrett Gilbert threw for 241 yards and 3 TD on 17-19 passing and he did it all in the first half. Texas also had a solid ground game with Tre Newton and Chris Whaley each going over 100 yards and 3rd team RB Will Harrison scoring a TD and getting 42 yards. DJ Monroe added another 122 yards receiving and 60 yards returning kicks.

The defense was smothering on Saturday as Mizzou scored one offensive TD all day and it was near the end of the second quarter. Junior LB Patrick Nkwopara had 6 tackles and 1 for a loss to pace the defense on the day. But Mizzou’s passing attack meant that the DB’s had a long day bringing down receivers. Brad Mills had 7 tackles, Kenny Vaccaro had 6 and a sack, Marcus Davis had 5 and an interception and Cameron Watkins added 4 more. Tevin Mims continued his hot streak and made 3 tackles and recovered a fumble. Ben Norman added 3 tackles and a second interception of the Mizzou offense. Tariq Allen didn’t have a dominant day, but he did register a safety in the 3rd quarter to put Texas up 37-7.

Texas had 4 prospects in town on official visits and Coach Bulgy hopes the majority of them will commit this weekend. 2 offensive line prospects visited :5stars: guard Michael Howell from Clute, TX and :4stars: Athlete Dustin Moore from Watauga, TX. :4stars: WR Alan Ware from Meraux, LA and :5stars: FS Tom Tucker from Pinellas Park, FL also made the trip. Tucker did give Coach Bulgy a soft commit after the game. Coach Bulgy said, “He wanted to give us a solid commit on the spot Saturday, and we asked him to think about it and make sure. We hope we get word back from him this week that he wants to join us in Austin, but we will see.â€

This weekend’s game marked the first time Texas was ranked in over a season; they entered the game #19. Texas travels to Lubbock next week to take on the Red Raiders, and will follow that up with a trip to Colorado to take on the Buffaloes before returning home to face the #13 Oklahoma St. Cowboys.

10. hornfaninbama

Texas Uses Defense to Smother Texas Tech

#14 Texas Routs Tech 58-6

Lubbock, TX- Texas was dominating on defense on Saturday against Texas Tech only allowing 206 yards of total offense on the day to Tech’s air raid offense.
    The defense helped with the scoring load as there were 3 non-offensive TD’s on the day. 2 came in the 1st quarter. DJ Monroe scored 2 TD’s on his 6 touches, but both were punt return TD’s. The other non offensive TD came from the defense.
    Tariq Allen intercepted an errant throw from Seth Doege, one of 4 interceptions on the day for the Tech QB, and ran it 5 yards for a score. Doege was under pressure all day long and only managed 15-30 for 186 1 TD and the 4 picks.
    Because the defense was so assertive the offense took most of the day off. Garrett Gilbert and the Texas offense only attempted 10 passes on the day. Gilbert went 6-10 for 115 and 3 TD. True freshman Lawrence Brown came in during the 3rd quarter and never dropped back to throw it. Chris Whaley got the bulk of the work carrying 20 times for 90 yards and 0 TD, but most of that came in the last half of the 3rd and 4th quarter. Tre Newton was the leading rusher with 106 and 1 TD, plus he caught a TD from Gilbert in the second quarter.

The game looked like it was going to be a close one, until Monroe busted his first punt return 59 yards for a TD to put Texas up 14-0. Tech went 3 and out on their next posession and Texas drove to the 50 before pinning the Red Raiders deep in their own territory.

Harrison Jeffers was stuffed on 1st down and Doege was sacked on second giving Tech a 3rd and 15 from their own 2 yard line. Doege dropped back to pass and was hit as he let go of the ball. Tariq Allen stepped in front of the wobbling duck and walked into the end zone. Tech didn’t leave their own territory until late in the 4th when they broke the shut out, and even then only a penalty kept Texas from taking another interception back for a TD.

Texas will take on Colorado in Boulder next weekend, before making hosting the #9 Oklahoma State Cowboys.