2012 Week 7

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Feb 2, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

2012 Week 7

2012 Week 7!

Let's get em in quick guys and keep this thing moving.

Next advance deadline is:
    Friday 10 PM EST

Weekly Polls

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    RK LW Name/Votes
    3 2 Clemson (1)
    6 11 Virginia (1)
    7 6 Florida
    8 14 Georgia
    9 8 Tennessee
    10 15 Va Tech
    14 13 Auburn
    21 -- FSU
    22 22 Alabama
    23 19 UNC

NR LSU, Maryland
    Big shake-up in the polls this week.

ESPN Headlines

Hook Em Horns!
    Spirits are high in Austin as their Longhorns beat #10 Oklahoma, 41-0.
    WOW!

Gameday
    Two big games this week:

#21 FSU at #10 VaTech

Can the Seminoles bring enough defensive talent to contain the VaTech running game?

#9 Tennessee at #8 Georgia

Will the Bulldogs be able to stay undefeated or will Bryce Brown lead the Vols to victory?

Heisman Watch
    Barkley strengthens his heisman candidacy after leading USC to victory.

Player of the Week
    Maryland QB Danny O'Brien 26/31, 569 yds, 9 TDs

Heisman Watch
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    Player Pos Team Last Wk Stats
    J. Brown WR UVA 6 rec, 141 yds, TD
    M. Brown WR UGA 5 rec, 70 yds
    M. Barkley QB USC 15/33, 196 yds, 20 car, 31 yds, 5 TDs
    M. McGloin QB PSU 22/33, 310 yds, 3 TDs
    K. Parker QB Clem 20/21, 320 yds, 4 TDs, 12 car, 24 yds

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Knight's Tidbits

Florida State @ Virginia Tech
    R-Dub Sweetness...
    Va Tech by 10

Tennessee @ Georgia
    Between the Hedges and Georgia has some defensive power to stop Brown and company
    Georgia by 7+

3. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

VT- 23
    FSU- 38

Full write up tomorrow....but just ask recchem how to stop the option...I had nothing.

4. KnightNoles

wow, i had to rush to make the pick and you let me down... Guess I learned not to pick against my Noles..... except for maybe Florida again this year

5. KnightNoles

Auburn 43
    Vanderbilt 9

details tomorrow, and will play the sit and watch game as we had 10 recruits in for this ball game

6. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Florida State- 38
    Virginia Tech- 23

Maybe there were too many distractions this week. The Hokies offense has been scrutinized in the media this week and this was a trap game with many already talking about the matchup with #2 Clemson next week. This is why you play the game.

Virginia Tech looked good scoring on its first 2 drives, the second being a 74yd strike from Antone Exum to Dyrell Roberts. But Virginia Tech's option offense was non-exsistent after the opening drive. Florida State picked off a pitch and returned it for 6. That would set the tone against the usually potent option offense. After being tied after the 1st, Virginia Tech was helped out with a short field from 3 turnovers but had to settle for 3 FG's which would undoubtably be the difference.

The Hokies carried a slim 23-21 lead going into the 4th, but could not stop the Seminoles ground game and giving up 2 big TD runs by Lonnie Pryor of 59yd and 61yd. Florida State scored 17 unanswered points in the 4th to pull off the upset.

Now lets talk about that prolific option offense: Exum 20att 33yds, Sweetness 13att 67yds (38yds on 1att), and Wilson 3att 8yds. I probaly should have changed my plays up, but I kept thinking the next option has to work for a big play. It never happened. I don't think I was able to turn the corner once on his D with my QB. They either strung it out to the sideline or ate up my QB as soon as he got to to the tackle spot. I had no blocking on the outsides and the speed of his overall defense was insane. His DE just walked around my tackles as if they were stationary cones. When I was forced to pass I had zero time. So, I am not sure if it was his D, gameplan, stick skills or what but I had no answer for his D after my opening drive.

Good game Recchem....I just hope I get another shot at you next year (after I fire my OC).

The Hokies will have to regroup as they face a very tough #2 Clemson team. This could be a swing game for the Hokies and quite possibly dictate the rest of the season for Virginia Tech.

7. GoGators

Wow, FSU over VaTech is a big surprise. Props to FSU. Their defense is extremely talented and fast and that will give anyone troubles.

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

It was a fun game Hokie. Pretty much went down to the wire although the score doesnt show that. As usual, the FSU offense likes to give the other team the ball and we did so 3 times. But the D played fantastic against the option. Outside of one big run by Sweetness, I think we held them in check.

Im not sure I have the key to stop the option though. My defense is fast, so that helps. Played alot of cover 1 defense. I used the MLB almost exclusively and just tried to string the option out as much as I could.

9. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

Player of the Week
    Maryland QB Danny O'Brien 26/31, 569 yds, 9 TDs

One hell of a game by my so-called back-up qb! Sorry i didn't get a write up. As i said, ive got a huge term paper to work on! It was one of the best games ive seen played by a quarterback. Hopefully this will turn into a streak of sorts and he'll mess up some more defenses!

10. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

TEXTILE BOWL

#3 Clemson - 70
    NC State - 0

Perfection! In the latest edition of the Textile Bowl, Clemson gave NC State all that they could handle and then some. From the start, it was apparent that NC State had no business being on the same field as the talented Tigers of Clemson. Offensively, the Tigers were led by senior QB Kyle Parker. The Heisman candidate threw for 285 yards and 4 scores in the first half before grabbing the clipboard. His big day was supplemented by HB Andre Ellington, who also ran for over 100 yards. Defensively, the Tigers held NC State to 174 total offense. When NC State did put together a decent drive, they either missed a field goal (3 total) or turned the ball over (2 interceptions). An ugly performance by the Wolfpack, but Clemson will take the win. Next week, the Tigers host the option-happy Hokies from Virginia Tech.

Stats - Clemson

QB Kyle Parker - 15/18 - 285 Yards - 4/0
    HB Andre Ellington - 20 Attempts - 123 Yards - 1 TD
    HB Roderick McDowell - 15 Attempts - 83 Yards - 1 TD
    WR Brandon Clear - 4 Receptions - 57 Yards
    WR Bryce McNeal - 4 Recpetions - 82 Yards
    WR Steve Whitaker - 3 Receptions - 99 Yards - 2 TDs
    DE Mallicah Goodman - 2 Sacks
    SS Carlton Lewis - 88 Yard Interception Return for TD
    OLB Derrick Perry - 38 Yard Interception Return for TD

11. GoGators

SC 17
    UF 59

Record Setting Day

The Gators mopped the floor with the visiting gamecocks. SC gave the Gators their best shot bringing relentless pressure all game long. SR RE Aldrick Fordham broke the school record as he sacked Jordan Reed 4 times in the game contributing to his teams 8 sacks total. More often than not, the SC defensive line made UF's offensive line look silly and lost as they simply ran right around them to the QB.

Jordan Reed would not be phased however. He accepted the challenge that his offensive line gave him and took it head on as he went on to a career day breaking the UF single game passing record set by Shane Matthews in 2001. Reed's day was done after 3 quarters worth of work as was the rest of the starting offense.

The gamecocks missed opportunities on FGs and had a couple of turnovers that really hurt them. They were in the game early when QB Reid McCollum hooked up with Charles Holmes for a 70 yard TD pass. That was pretty much all the offense could muster against the UF defense though.

SC
    UF​
    First Downs
    8​
    19​
    Total Offense
    243​
    641​
    Rushes-Yards-TD
    25-51-0​
    35-151-2​
    Comp-Att-TD
    12-24-1​
    20-28-6​
    Passing Yards
    192​
    490​
    Turnovers
    2​
    1​
    T.O.P.
    11:08​
    17:10​

Players of the Game:
    Game Ball QB J. Reed 296.9 rating, 18/26, 469 yds, 6 TDs, 7 car, -49 yds​

12. KnightNoles

Auburn takes care of Vandy

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    1 2 3 4 F
    Vandy 0 7 2 0 9
    Aub 10 17 10 6 43

Andrew Miller decided to pull out one of his best games in front of 10 prospects for this years recruiting class. He went 15-17 334 yards with 3 TDs. Onterio McCalebb received 34 carries for 143 yards TD. Medlock caught 5 balls for 142 yards TD and Jamar Paris had another 100 yard day with a TD also. DaShaun Barnes led the Tiger defense with 9 tackles, 2 tfl and 2 sacks. Vanderbilt's Powell had 20 tackles and a tfl.

Team Stats
    Vandy Aub
    Score 9 43
    First Downs 11 25
    Total Offense 216 556
    Rushes-Yards-TD 23-39-1 61-222-1
    Comp-Att-TD 20-28-0 15-17-3
    Passing Yards 177 334
    3rd Down 4-12 (33) 10-17 (58)
    4th Down 0-1 (0) 0-0
    Redzone-TD-FG 1-1-0 (100) 7-2-5 (100)
    Turnovers 3 0
    Fumble 2 0
    Interception 1 0
    Total Yards 453 642
    Punts-Avg 7-37.9 0-0.0
    Pen-Yards 1-5 2-3
    TOP 10:08 18:14

13. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

Power Poll(Remember I do this without regard to what is happening this week so far)

(1)#3 Clemson- Guys are putting up monstrous numbers at this school.(QB Parker- 1491 yd, 17 TD, 5 INT)(RE Goodman- 7 sacks, 10 TFL)
    (2)#7 Florida- How they got passed by Virginia is beyond me.
    (3)#9 Tennessee- Holding steady right here for the past couple weeks.
    (4)#10 Virginia Tech- Did you know that Sweetness is averaging 191 rushing yards a game?
    (5)#6 Virginia- Will soon be tested next week against UNC, but just doesn't have the strength of schedule.
    (6)#8 Georgia- Expect them to move somewhere as they play #9 Tenn, #7 Florida, and #14 Auburn the next 3 weeks.
    (7)#14 Auburn- They have 5 wins. In 3 of those games, they held opponents to 10, 12, and 17 points. That'll win you games no matter what the offense does.
    (8)LSU(77)- 5 total points is the difference between being 3-2 and 5-0. Need to win the close games.
    (9)#21 Florida State- Still searching for that quality win.
    (10)#23 North Carolina- 3-3, but schedule gets much easier. Will it matter?
    (11)#22 Alabama- Would be fantastic if all their opponents were from the Big East.(2-0 vs. ranked Big East teams, but 0-2 vs. other ranked teams)
    (12)Maryland- Latest win vs. USF is weak as starters were never pulled and never tried to pull back on the reigns.

14. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

LSU @ Kentucky (W 51-34)

In 8 trips to the endzone, I could only manage 5 TD's, but still was 100% hitting all 3 FG's. However, I only converted on 5-10 3rd downs. On the bright side, Ford had 88 yards as I continue to grow my overall game by giving him more standard rushing carries. Shepard had his usual, nearly 100 yd game and broke the LSU record for passing TD's in a game with 5 while going 19-23 for 298 yd.

My defense underperformed. Although they had 3 INT's, they were all by my LB's when getting significant pressure on the QB. This was also my downfall, as I played much too aggressively and missed tackles and left WR's uncovered. Not good when your top 2 tacklers for the game are DB's.

Maybe my defense was still tired from holding Florida to just 16 points.

15. GoGators

Dude Kentucky is a beast this year. I think the ratings of their QB drives the talent of that team. They are really good on offense, they busted my defense time and time again.

16. KnightNoles

All is left is Alabama.. I believe Jo has been a busy man the last few days too

17. GoGators

Thanks for the update Noles.....hurry your ass up Jo!!! hahaha, j/k.

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I woulda posted this before but the site was acting up

51-28 (i think, W over #11 Miami)

---The PR's and polls wanted and got a big win from the Cavs. They got their defense together, trying some new wrinkles and it resulted in 5 Miami INT's. Smalls struggled just completing over 50% of his passes but that was due to a ferocious 2nd half charge by the Hurricanes.

Mack had 4 rushing TD's and Brown had a subpar game by his standards catching 6 balls for only 83 yards.

19. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I'll play tonight!

20. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Week is ready to advance, I beat Ole Miss easily, Ill do a summary later in my team thread.