2013 Boston Red Sox Preview

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Sharkman37, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

bosox2.jpg bosox1.jpg bosox3.png

2012 Recap:
    This edition of the Red Sox played out like Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities." It was the worst of times ... a 1-12 start and nine guys on the DL including the entire outfield. It also was the best of times, with the Bo Sox storming into first behind Dustin Pedroia and a rejuvenated Dice K. They eventually held on to the wild card, beat the hated Yankees in a one game play in and then took the Rays to seven

games in the ALDS. Quite the rollercoaster ride by GM Turk. As they head into a new year, there is always new blood and a new outlook on the year. Let see how they stack up...

Key Off Season Losses::
    DH - David "Big Papi" Ortiz (FA)
    1B - Lars Anderson (Toronto)
    OF - Cody Ross (Colorado)
    C - Kelly Shoppach (FA)

Key Off Season Additions:
    OF - Seth Smith
    UTIL - Manuel Mayorson
    UTIL - Omar Infante
    SP - John Lackey (back from the year long DL)

Off Season Analysis:
    Boston resigned most of their key talent before FA but must stomach the big loss of Big Papi. He wanted way too much money and the Sox needed to make the hard decision not to sign him. His weight ballooned in the off-season and Ortiz took quite the star hit because of it. They are very high on the versatility of Infante and Mayorson and really like Seth Smith to rotate in with Ryan Kalish and Will Middlebrooks in the OF and DH.

Offense Overview:
    All through the holiday season, all you could hear GM Turk sing is "All I want for Christmas is a healthy team, a healthy team..." If Spring Training is any indication, you would swear that someone has voodoo dolls of their OF. After losing five different outfielders to the DL last year, they lost two more down in Florida. With everyone healthy, there are not too many holes and those are being filled from within.

Ryan Lavarway gets the promotion from AAA to replace Shoppach at catcher. Their outfield speed and range is to die for with Ellsbury and Crawford.

Pitching Staff Overview:
    "I hate Dice K. I wish I could cut his ass right now..." GM Turk... April 2012
    "Wow, I now love Dice K. He is 8-1 for me. I think I will resign him..." GM Turk… August 2012

Beckett, Lester, Dice K. Buchholtz, and Lackey/Bard. Three of them ranked in the Dugout Top 20 pitchers in the league. Not bad at all.

With a solid bullpen with Andrew Bailey shutting the door in the 9th, the Red Sox are very, very solid.

It's all about the Benjamins:
    The Sox are looking good from the finance side of things. Attendance is always a sell out and the fans keep coming in droves. There is still plenty of money to extend upcoming Free Agents like Kevin Youkilis and Ocatvio Dotel or they can wait to see how they play and get a better read on the on the upcoming FA class.

Minor League System::
    The Sox keep plugging along promoting Lavarnway, Kalish, Middlebrooks, and Takazawa to the big club. They did well in the draft with SP- Kevin Gausman and RP - Casey Zasko. If another outfielder goes down this year, young Jeremy Hazalbaker is hoping he can come in and make his mark. They need to continue to bring in good talent so they can continue with their talent plan of growing from within.

Outlook and Prediction:
    GM Turk is sailing the steady ship and the key for them is avoiding the crash of injuries and to steer them into the port known as the playoffs. I do believe this is a four team race (sorry Raj) and the Red Sox making another trip to the dance, again as the wild card.

Prediction: 92-60 - second in the AL Beast

And with one final thought: this is why you don’t want your daughters to grow up to be Red Sox fans:
    bosox4.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

This is a fantastic preview. One of the best I've seen. I think Ill give some of the better ones +4 FI just because it's apparent you worked hard on this one.

3. Aagistar

Aagistar Walk On

Ha! That is pretty much word for word what I said! Were you recording our conversation?

Thanks for the write up Sharkman37, it was a fantastic read!

• Like Like x 1