2013 Detroit Tigers Preview

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by JohnnyClutch, Jun 1, 2012.

1. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

[​IMG]
    Looks like the Tiger is in shock​
    [​IMG]
    In the 2012 season the Detroit Tigers hired manager Matt Ledford. Doctors in the Detroit area really approved of this hire because more and more patients were coming into their offices. This new patients were Tigers fans, most of which came in with sprained and sore necks from shaking their heads in amazement and disappointment. The fans were in shock of the moves that the new Tigers general manager was making, but Ledford said he was going to craft the team his way and he has been ruling with an iron fist. With that the team traded away most of its top players and prospects so they could begin the process of Ledford’s “plan for the future.” They finished the season with a 75-87 record and fourth in the AL Central. To say that the 2013 Detroit Tigers are a completely different team would be an understatement. Let’s take a look to see how the Tigers came to be at the beginning of this season.

Key Loses
    SP Max Scherzer
    SP Drew Smyly
    RP Octavio Dotel
    CF Austin Jackson
    MR Daniel Schlereth
    SP Jacob Turner
    2B Neil Walker
    3B Nick Castellanos
    SP Phil Coke
    RF Brennan Boesch
    C Alex Avila
    1B Prince Fielder
    3B Miguel Cabrera
    2013 first round pick

Key Additions
    2B Neil Walker
    MR Matt Albers
    LF Travis Snyder
    MR Bobby Jenks
    SP Cliff Lee
    SP Anibal Sanchez
    Pittsburgh 2012 third round draft pick
    Toronto 2012 first round pick, second round pick, fifth round pick
    Boston 2012 second round pick
    Kansas City 2013 second round pick
    Boston 2013 third round pick
    Miami 2013 first round, second round, and third round pick
    San Francisco 2013 second round pick
    Oakland 2013 third round pick
    Toronto 2013 third and fourth round picks
    Milwaukee 2013 First Round pick
    Texas 2013 First, second, third round picks

Barely two weeks into the season Detroit made their first major deal sending SP Max Scherzer and 3B Donny Worth to the Pirates in exchange for 2B Neil Walker and a third round pick. 10 Days later Detroit sent Drew Smyly to the Blue Jays in exchange for their first round pick in the upcoming June draft. That same day Detroit traded Octavio Dotel to his record 14 team. In exchange they got Matt Albers and a second round pick. Finally the Tigers made their third and final trade of April 21 when they received Jason Hammel from Balitmore in exchange for Jason King.

A month later on May 21 the Tigers and Blue Jays were at it again. This time Austin Jackson went across the border for Travis Snyder, 2nd round pick, and 5th round pick. Almost two months went by before Detroit made another trade, this time for Rhett Wiseman, Jesus Moreno, and Kansas City’s third round pick for SP Rick Porcello.

10 Days later Detroit received Connor Jackson and Dylan Axelrod from the White Sox in exchange for 2013 6th and 7th round picks. This was the first of five trades completed on July 21, 2012 for the Tigers. The second was Daniel Schlereth to the Red Sox for Bobby Jenks, Bryce Brentz, and 2013 third round pick. Third trade was with the Houston Astros, who sent CF Jordan Schafer for Tigers SP Kevin Eichorn and SP Kevin de la Cruz. The fourth trade was with the Miami Marlins that saw former first rounder Jacob Turner and SP Andrew Oliver going to Miami for their 2012 second round pick SP Lance McQueen, 2013 second round pick and third round pick. The final trade was with the Giants who got recently acquired Neil Walker for their 2013 second round pick.

The off-season started and of course Detroit was making trades on day one. Ledford’s first was acquiring SS Cliff Pennington, SP Tyson Ross, and a third round pick from Oakland for 3B Nick Castellanos and Brenny Paulino. The second trade at the winter meetings sent Phil Coke andLex Rutledge to Pittsburgh for Alex Pressley. Third trade of the day they sent OF Brennan Boesch to Toronto for Colt Cain and 2013 third and fourth round picks. The final trade of day one Ledford sent C Alex Avila to Miami for their 2013 first round pick and prospect pitcher Chad James. The next morning Detroit was busy again trading for pitcher Cliff Lee for one of their 2013 first round picks. Two weeks later Prince Fielder was traded to Milwaukee for their first round pick. Then Miguel Cabrera was sent to Texas in exchange for SP Cody Buckel, 2013 first, second, and third round picks.

Finally they picked up 20 game winner Anibal Sanchez in free agency.

2. JohnnyClutch

Will get the second part up when I get some extra time. This part took way longer than I expected.

;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. JohnnyClutch

Starting Rotation
    [​IMG] Justin Verlander
    [​IMG] Cliff Lee
    [​IMG] Anibal Sanchez
    [​IMG] Doug Fister
    [​IMG] Rick VanderHurk

Justin Verlander is the best pitcher in the league. Last year wasn't a typical year for Verlander, 10-13 3.77. Yes those numbers are pretty great for most pitchers but not Verlander. His strike out numbers were there, 253, but his WHIP of 1.36 and OAVG of .268 need to return to his yearly average for him to get back to the 18-22 win range.

They added Cliff Lee as a great number two option. Also last year for Lee was off for him but was a very good year. 12-12 with a 3.61 ERA and 238 Ks. He needs to do the same as Verlander and get the WHIP 1.25 and OAVG .276 need to get back down to his career averages.

Anibal Sanchez was added in Free Agency and was a 20 game winner last season. Sanchez is a great number three starter but I don't see him getting close to 20 wins or the 3.24 ERA he posted last season.

Doug Fister can get it done against other teams fourth starter. Last year he posted a record of 17-11 with a 3.65 ERA. I see his wins going down this year and ERA going up. If the Tigers has an offense I see him getting more wins in high scoring games.

The final man in the rotation is Rick VanderWho, oh wait I mean VanderHurk. Last year he was in the Giants organization and 3-4 with a 4.45 ERA in 9 games. I don't see this guy doing much of anything and see him losing his spot sometime in early may.

4. JohnnyClutch

Relievers
    [​IMG] Al Alburquerque
    [​IMG] Bobby Jenks
    [​IMG] Joaquin Benoit
    [​IMG] Chad Qualls
    [​IMG] Bryan Augenstein
    [​IMG] John Gaub
    [​IMG] Juan Cruz

This is the strength of the team. Every one of these relievers besides Augenstein rates plus to plus+ in with their stuff. These guys throw just filthy pitches, for most of them it is their slider. Alburquerque has a chance to convert every one of his save chances like Rodney did a couple years back. Bobby Jenks and Joaquin Benoit could be great closers on other teams in the league but in Detroit they are the 7th and 8th inning guys. Chad Qualls can hold his own in the 5th and 6th but coupled with the Tigers' rotation there will not be to many games that the relievers get in before the 7th innings. Augenstein, Gaub, and Cruz all provide depth to the bullpen. This should be the best bullpen in the AL and possibly the MLB.

The pitching is where wins will come from for the Detroit Tigers this season.

5. JohnnyClutch

The Starting Nine
    [​IMG] LF Alex Presley
    [​IMG] 1B Daric Barton
    [​IMG] RF Andy Dirks
    [​IMG] DH Travis Hafner
    [​IMG] C Victor Martinez
    [​IMG] SS Cliff Pennington
    [​IMG] CF Jordan Schafer
    [​IMG] 2B Ramon Santiago
    [​IMG] 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff

This is a very mediocre line up. It does have some potential though. Most of the line up contains players that haven't spent any decent time in the big leagues in the last two season but if they can live up to the ratings this could be an average offense. The two big hitters in the middle of the Tigers' lineup are in the twilight of their career, Travis Hafner and Victor Martinez. If this was the 2005 Cleveland Indians those guys would be studs in the middle of the line up. Victor Martinez is playing catcher and I don't expect him to be there long. Coming off an injury and at his age it wouldn't surprise me if he gets injured again. If he avoids injury I see his numbers being way down from the wear and tear.

Andy Dirks looks like he can develop into a solid hitter. He has a 7 contact 7 gap and 8 home run power. If Dirks can adjust to major league pitching he should easily put up the best numbers on the team. The other corner outfielder is a guy who can get on base and that is why Alex Presley is batting in the lead off spot. A 7 contact, 8 gap power, and 6 eye will have this guy on base a lot. He should also be able to rack up quite a few doubles with his speed. First baseman Deric Barton should also be a good on base guy with 8 gap, 8 eye, and 7 avoid Ks. If Hafner can find a power stroke at Comerica this team could put up a decent amount of runs.

The back end of this line up is average at best. Pennington, Santiago, and Kouzmanoff aren't going to blow the world away and pitchers will look forward to pitching against the bottom of Detroit's order. An interesting fact about this line up is against right handers their will only be one batter hitting right handed and that is Kouzmanoff in the 9 spot.

With the pitching if this team puts up average runs they can go 87-75. I think this will be good enough for second in a weak AL Central. Yes weak even though the Royals won the World Series last season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnnyClutch

Farm System

The last OSA ratings have Detroit with the 7th best farm system. This was improved with the addition of pitchers Lance McQueen (36 OVR), who changed his name from McCuller to McQueen since being drafted last season, and Chad James (45 OVR) from Miami. Their best player is 2B Drake Hollow who is expected to be a great second baseman in the near future. 2B Tilly B(l)oomers :p and P Matthew Smoral round of the list of Tiger prospects in the Top 100 at 65th and 67th respectively.

I expect them to easily capture the number one spot after this seasons draft. With 18 picks, and most of them in the first 4 rounds, this team will most likely become stacked in 4 to 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JohnnyClutch

Sharkman37

Finally got all of this done for ya. Hope you enjoy.

8. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Well done!!! I absolutlly love it. :D

9. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Great job.

Tigers been BUSY!!!

10. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Looks like Sharkman37 made some great moves. Team will already be competitive with a ton of talent in the pipeline.