2013 Kansas City Royals

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, May 31, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

[​IMG]

The 2012 Kansas City Royals won The Dugout's 1st World Championship. After clinching the AL Central by 4.5 games and winning 91 games, they went on to beat the Angels in the Divisional Series 3 games to 1, and then Tampa 4-2 in the American League Championship Series. Finally, the Atlanta Braves took them to a 7th game, but fell short as the clutch hitting, speed and solid bullpen arms of the Royals would give them their first World Championship since 1985.

Offseason Losses:

3B Kevin Kouzmanoff: 0.9 WAR
    SS Yuniesky Betancourt: -0.3 WAR
    C Humberto Quintero: 0.6 WAR
    SP Jonathan Sanchez: 0.4 WAR
    CL Jonathan Broxton: 1.1 WAR

Net WAR loss: -2.7 WAR

Offseason Additions:

IF/OF Willie Bloomquist: 1.4 WAR
    SP Chien-Ming Wang: 1.4 WAR

Net WAR gain: 2.8 WAR

Offseason Analysis:

Two significant moves were key for the Royals. First was the loss of Jonathan Broxton, who was absolutely dominant in the postseason last year. In his first career playoff appearances, he pitched in 10 games going 3-0 with 6 saves, a 1.64 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 11 innings. The fanbase could not have been very happy with the loss of Broxton, and this was a pretty big blow.

The second was the signing of SP Chien-Ming Wang. Wang was horribly misused in Washington, and was used exclusively out of the bullpen. Why? I have no idea, but I expect Dan Heckelbeck to move him to the rotation. He has 9 stamina, throws a ton of ground balls and has above average sinker and slider.

Offense:

As was the case with last year's team, this team really doesn't have a legitimate power hitting thread. Speed and contact is the name of the game here. Last year's other postseason MVP CF Jason Bourgeois returns after a fantastic playoff run .385 OBP and 13 runs scored and will probably bat leadoff.

The anchors of this lineup are Billy Butler, Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas. Both Hosmer and "Moose" were the only Royals to hit more than 20 HR last year, and I don't anticipate much change this go around. There are really no additions this year offensively. It will be interesting to see how well Alex Rios does this year as he appears to have regressed somewhat.

Grade: B+

Pitching Staff:

The rotation was maligned last year, but were good enough to get them a championship. This year's rotation is much better I think. Mike Montgomery adds another year of development and will probably move into the ace role by the all-star break. I already mentioned Wang, and he makes a solid #3 or #4. They also return Rick Porcello who still looks very promising, and Danny Duffy. The big name to watch this year in the rotation is Jake Odorizzi. I've not heard anything of this kid, and if he gets enough starts, we could be looking at the Rookie of the Year.

The bullpen though is a mess. Outside of Aaron Crow, none of these guys looks very promising. It looks like the closer duties will be handed to Kelvin Herrera who had a solid season last year, but is still a bit young and underdeveloped for the position. This could be their achilles heal this year.

Finances:

The fans are energized, the owner is happy and they have a nice cushion of about $15 million to add any pieces they need to make a run. Outside of the Alex Rios contract, they are in pretty good shape financially and this is a well run ballclub.

Minor League System:

Outside of Odorizzi, I do not see any of their top prospects making an impact this year. They rank 25th in the Majors and certainly have some work to do to build this system back up. The big concern is that their 3rd best prospect CF Brett Eibner is already 24 and is nowhere near developed. Many scouts predict him as being a bust.

Outlook:

The Royals stayed pretty quiet in the offseason and why shouldn't they? They ran the table last year and shocked the World. Their rotation is a lot better this year, and I think if they put Wang in there they have one of the best 1-5's in the Majors. The offense is darn near the same one as last year, albeit with an older Alex Rios. But they can all catch the ball, and get on base.

The bullpen is the big weakness. This needs addressed as quickly as possible if they start to lose the close ballgames. They need to add another couple of dominant arms here, and really hope for a breakout year for their young closer Herrera.

I don't know about their chances in this division. Cleveland and Detroit all look a lot better, so it will be a real dogfight. I think they have the pitching and defense, but like I said, the lack of power and a dominant bullpen could be their undoing.

Prediction:

89-73 (2nd Place)

Last edited: May 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Dan Heckelbeck

Dan Heckelbeck Walk On

Very well written (y)

3. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Nice job.

Who's doing Texas?

4. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

5. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

I don't know about Texas, but we all know who's doing Dallas.

6. Dan Heckelbeck

Dan Heckelbeck Walk On

When I get bored this weekend, I will write my Mets preview... (be nice Dan, remember, that bud has feelings)

Fiddy14

• Like Like x 1
  7. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

nice write up

8. Dan Heckelbeck

Dan Heckelbeck Walk On

OPENING DAY 2013 TONIGHT!!! We get our World Series rings!!!!!! :goal: