2013 Maize & Blue Outlook

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by hoodlum10, Feb 2, 2010.

1. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

Jun 23, 2009
    2013 Maize & Blue Outlook

2013 Michigan Wolverines

After last season's Rose Bowl victory it looked as if this would be a re-tooling season for the Maize & Blue. It will be far from it. The Wolverines lost 6 guys who were four year impact players including Tate Forcier, who accounted for 98 TD's in his career and has started every Michigan game in this OD to this point. This year's squad doesn't have nearly as much proven talent as those of year's past as many unproven players must step in. Fortunately those players, headlined by 5th year senior QB Denard Robinson are extremely talented. This is quite possibly a more talented team than last year's squad which went 12-1. Great off-season in training in Ann Arbor has UM #2 in the polls to start the season. This team resembles an SEC team much more than it does a Big 10 team, the SEC type speed is sure to give opponents fits. There is great potential for this team, but the new players must step in right away and not have there be too much of a learning curve as the Wolverines have a rough early schedule. We'll see how things go, but in my mind this team is the favorites to repeat as Big 10 champs and are a legitimate title contender.

There are 4 returning starters on this side of the ball. The hard nosed running styles of Forcier and Teric Jones have moved onto the NFL, but their replacements bring skills of their own to the table. This is the fastest offensive unit I've ever had. Denard Robinson has 90 speed, and my 3 RB's, Vincent Smith, Bruce Harwell, and Tyler Richard are all 92 speed or higher. Thi sblazing speed should really make this a much more explosive offense. Ja'Ron Stokes returns to lead a WR corp that outside of him has no experience whatsoever. Junior Thad Marshall and true freshmen Brandon Williams will need to make some plays. Up front only 1 starter returns, AA OT Kirk Jackson. This unit is inexperienced but talented. All 4 new starters are rated 87 or above, and sophomore C Terrel Williams will be 1 of the nation's best down the road. All in all this should be a very fun unit to play with, the key is to minimize turnovers, something Forcier did so well.

This unit was very good last year and looks to have improved. Last year was UM's first with a 3-4 scheme, and the results were good. The LB's are what holds this unit together, and all 4 starters from last year return. OLB Hawthorne moved to CB, but ILB's Josh Gilmore and Carlos Pearson are studs, and OLB Thomas Wesley had a very good campaign last year as a true freshmen. The d-line is as good as it gets in college football. DE's Anthony LaLota and Craig Roh are rated 99 and 98 respectively, and NT Nick Young put on some weight in the off-season and looks like he will do a fine job filling the massive void vacated by Will Campbell. These front 7 MUST MUST get more pressure on the QB, something UM defenses have struggled with over the years. The weak spot of this defense is the secondary. Gone is four year starting SS Brandon Smith and my top 3 corners from last year. Emilien moves from FS back to his natural SS spot, and he is the anchor of this secondary rated at 98. Mike Jones gets another shot at FS, he began last season as the starter but sucked and was benched. He must get it together this season. Hawthorne moved from OLB to CB, and he will start opposite sophomore Reggie Rodriguez. Nick Johnston has really struggled so far in his collegiate career but must step up and be a legit nickelback for Coach Hood. Much like the offense there is a lot of potential and speed on the defensive side of the ball, but they must get to the QB and force turnovers.

Justin Jackson returns and will likely handle all kicking duties for the 2nd straight year, he must be more effective. Not sure who will be handling return duties yet, that must be determined before the season opener
  2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Jul 14, 2009
    Michigan looks tough......
  3. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

Jan 24, 2010
    I'm glad the schedules worked in my favor and we don't meet this year lol