2013 New York Yankees

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Darkwing, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Jul 15, 2011
    larson pitch*.jpg
    2013 Bronx Bombers
    Entering the Season:
    The 2012 Yankees finished the year with a 92-70 mark. Good enough for 2nd in the AL East behind Tampa and a wild card berth. However, they were routed in the play-in game by hated rival Boston. If ending the year without a championship for 27x winners isn't enough, being sent home in that fashion will leave a bitter taste coming into this season.
    The first news of the offseason came by way of the MLB office. The big lefty CC Sabathia was awarded with the AL Cy Young honor. He put together a season going 24-10 by pitching 262.2 innings while holding opponents to a .253 BA and allowing a 3.22 ERA with a 1.15 WHIP. Finishing the year with a 7.4 WAR rating. On a side note, 1B Mark Teixeira had a monster effort with the bat. He hit .294 with 45 HR and 117 RBI. Quite impressive.
    I don't see any obvious player transactions as the team new feed lists none. I do notice former Buckeye Nick Swisher isn't in the Big Apple anymore but that may have happened last season.
    Opening Day:
    Order|Position|Name|Hand|Contact|Gap|Power|Eye|Avoid Ks
    1. LF Brett Gardner L - 6|6|3|7|5
    2. CF Curtis Granderson L - 6|7|7|7|4
    3. 2B Robinson Cano L - 8|8|6|5|7
    4. 3B Alex Rodriguez R - 6|6|7|7|4
    5. 1B Mark Teixeira S - 6|6|8|7|5
    6. DH Francisco Cervelli R - 6|9|4|6|6
    7. C Russell Martin R - 6|5|6|7|6
    8. RF Chris Dickerson L - 5|6|3|7|3
    9. SS Derek Jeter R - 7|5|3|6|6
    1. CC Sabathia (L)
    2. Roy Oswalt (R)
    3. Michael Pineda (R)
    4. Manny Banuelos (L)
    5. Ivan Nova (R)
    MR Joba Chamberlain (R)
    MR David Aardsma (R)
    MR David Robertson (R)
    MR Boone Logan (L)
    CL Rafael Soriano (R)
    CL Mariano Rivera (R)
    The Bronx Bombers have a namesake to live up to. And while the lineup creeps ever closer to retirement age, expect to see plenty of pop from the middle of this order. They remain a dangerous order and it always helps to play in the bandbox that is new Yankee Stadium. If you don't get the 6-8 hitters out you're going to be in trouble here. Especially since Brain has utilized the double lead-off man concept against lefties with DJ3K in the 9 hole. It's chilling to me to think that Cano,T-Rex, and A-Rod combined for 118 HR and 342 RBI in 2012.
    The starting situation is an interesting one. The ace is reigning AL Cy Young CC Sabathia. That speaks for itself. Roy Oswalt is expected to be the #2 man, I just don't see it. At this point in his career I feel he's lucky to be the 5th man on a solid rotation so with this positioning expect to see him struggle to out duel the opposition. At #3 is Pineda, while he had a 7-9 record and 4.24 ERA last season he should be fine. With over half his starts being quality ones it tells me he's projecting up this season. A lineup like that should have made him at least a .500 pitcher. Next is the man I will keep an eye on, the young lefty Manny Banuelos. He has very solid stuff but may suffer from only having 3 pitches and 12 innings in the Bigs. I like his upside. And the final starter is Ivan Nova. Though completely over-hyped, Nova has above average stuff and is a very solid 5th starter.
    The bullpen takes after the offense. Look out. All four MR have the capability to have All-Star type numbers. The lone lefty, Boone, may struggle with command at times but this group is rock solid. Add what could be the best setup man in the game in former closer Soriano with the best closer of all time to close things out. Don't rely on coming back late on these guys.
    My Prediction -- 88-74. The Yankees will escape the AL East just barely over Boston to secure the final AL wild card spot. My advice to take down the "evil empire" this season is to get to their starting pitching. Sure CC may post 20 wins again but until Oswalt gets moved there may be trouble here. The other 4 starters will need to scrap together for about 70 more wins to get the Yankees where they always seem to be, in the playoffs. More good than bad will come to this team this season. A potential Texas-New York ALCS could mean a historical fireworks show :cool: Good luck this year briosu99

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

Aug 1, 2009
    Nice write-up! Good call on Oswalt. He was solid last year as a free agent pickup but seems to be fading fast. He is already slated to be moved down or out of the rotation in favor of Phil Hughes. The rookie Banuelos got rocked his first time out this year so I will be keeping a close eye on that situation.

For the position players, my biggest concern is the effects of age and when this will finally catch up to Jeter, A-Rod, and Texeira. Also, I need to find a solution in RF, I'm not sure if I have anyone on the roster to fill that spot. I'm either going to have to do some experimenting to find someone already on the roster or go out and get someone, but with no money to spend, that is going to be a stretch.

We have started off slowly just like last year. If things don't get better quickly, look for the Yanks to be sellers at the deadline this season.