2013 NFC Playoff Race

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by JSimms, Oct 24, 2013.

1. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

[​IMG]
    NFC Playoff Race (as of Week 15):

1. (12-2) Minnesota Vikings - The Vikings own the tiebreaker over the Redskins thanks to a 42-35 win in week 10. That said, they have a couple of tough match-ups to finish out the year versus playoff teams. The team has overcome some adversity (they were without AP for 8 games), and look primed for a Super Bowl run with a franchise QB now calling the shots thanks to a week 5 move to acquire Sam Bradford. Not a lot of flash here - ground & pound on offense, control time of possession, and play solid D (7th ranked in NFL).

2. (12-2) Washington Redskins - The Skins are an offensive juggernaut, averaging 41.9 points per game through 15 weeks. RG3 is having an MVP-caliber season, and currently leads the NFL in QBR, yds per attempt & completion % (2nd in TDs). Alfred Morris is quietly having a Pro Bowl year as well, sitting 3rd in rushing yards at 1,612 with 24 TDs. The big question here - will their 'bend but don't break' (32nd ranked passing) defense keep them from making a deep run in the playoffs?

3. (10-4) New Orleans Saints - a huge game this week versus the Panthers, who they lost to 50-36 in a shootout just two weeks ago, will more than likely decide who wins the division. Drew Brees hasn't been himself this year, with a 27/26 TD to INT ratio; the turnovers have cost the team a couple of wins. However, the D has played better than expected (8th in scoring) and they're just 1 win away from clinching another NFC South divisional crown.

4. (10-4) Seattle Seahawks - 'Beast Mode' has carried this team offensively; he's on pace for 2,000+ yards and already has 20 TDs on the season. But we all knew coming into the season that this D was special, and it hasn't disapointed - ranked #1 in Total Defense, Passing D & Points allowed. They don't force many turnovers, but get plenty of stops. If 'defense wins championships' still rings true in the NFL, I'd put my money on this squad from out West.

5. (10-4) Detroit Lions - The Lions started off their 2013 campaign hot, beating both of the top two seeds in the NFC. They were then bit by the injury bug, including an injury that sidelined QB Stafford for some time, but have recovered nicely and still have a shot at the NFC North division. Megatron is a nightmare to cover this year, as he leads the league in receptions (86), yards (1,536), and is 2nd in TDs (15). The Defense has played stout versus the run, but the secondary has struggled to stop the pass. We expect the Lions to make some noise come playoff time this year.

6. (9-5) Carolina Panthers - The Panthers currently hold the #6 spot in the playoffs, but can't afford a Week 16 loss to the upstart St. Louis Rams. Cam has been ridiculous this year - 27 TDs though the air; 25 TDs on the ground! He's on pace for 4,000 yards passing, 1,000 yards rushing, and a favorite to win the league MVP. Can Superman finally lead the Panthers to the playoffs, or will we see his record-breaking season go to waste?

Still in the hunt:

- (9-5) San Francisco 49ers - after a 7-1 start, the team lost their head coach due to health issues and they haven't been the same since. The 49ers have lost 3 of their last 5, but have two winnable games on their schedule to finish out the 2013 season. Could we see a CPU team make the playoffs?

- (8-6) St. Louis Rams - the only other team outside the top 6 in the NFC that still has a shot at making the playoffs, they haven't done themselves any favors by losing two of their last three. Additionally, they were swept by the 49ers and lost to the Panthers, so don't own tiebreakers over either team. This team has surprised many with G.J. Kinne taking over for Bradford early in the season, but may fall a bit short come playoff time.

• Like Like x 3
  2. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Nicely done Jsimms with my home record being 6-1 on the year, if there is a chance for the Seahawks to go out of an extremely tough NFC we will hope to get our games at home. With the win this week over Arizona we have all but clinched the West and in Week 17 had a big decision to make whether to play starters and go for number three if New Orleans loses or be happy at number four and rest all starters except for a select few. After much deliberation we have decided to rest our starters in Week 17, all starters will play one quarter except for Percy Harvin who after being injured earlier is being given the week off as a precautionary measure. Marshawn Lynch will also be off for week 17 as he has ran for more yards than anyone could have thought and the Seahawks want him at his best for the playoffs.

I'll apologize in advance to my week 17 opponent but it will be just about all backups after the first quarter. It may take me a minute or two to change everyone out at the end of the quarter.

3. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I have yet to play Washington, but have played Minnesota and trying to stop them is no easy task at all,gonna be a tough road ahead for whoever comes out of the nfc