2013 NL East Preview

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Timpegoose, May 29, 2012.

1. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

[​IMG]
    ATLANTA BRAVES
    Starting Pitching: A+. The best rotation in the National League returns everybody, and is led by a much improved Julio Teheran. A rotation of Teheran, Beachy, Hanson, Delgado, and Minor will likely start the season for the reigning World Series runner up. Tim Hudson will likely make a move to the bullpen to start the year to make room for Delgado.​
    Bullpen: B-. This will be the Braves biggest weakness heading into the season, especially with Closer Craig Kimbrell out until around the All Star Break with a torn flexor tendon. Johnny Venters will man the closer spot until he returns, and Eric O'Flaherty will take over the setup role. The middle relievers will be made up of 2 former starting pitchers in Jair Jurrjens and Tim Hudson, both of who had very good years starting last year, but may get pushed out of the rotation based on Spring Training performances. Newly signed Bill Bray will be hoping a change of scenery helps him turn things around, and Kris Medlen should take the last bullpen spot.​
    Hitting: B+. The Braves offense really sputtered out in the World Series last year, but key injuries to Michael Bourn and Dan Uggla could have been the cause. There wasn't a whole lot of depth added, but some players developed well in AAA last year, and could play key roles as backups. 1st Round draft choice Danny Wood is likely to start the year in AAA Gwinnett, and could see time in Atlanta by the end of the season.​
    Prediction: 1st in the NL East 94-68​
    [​IMG]
    Miami Marlins
    Starting Pitching: B+. Josh Johnson is a stud, and will definitely be the ace of this rotation. Buerhle, Zambrano, and Nolasco all pitched well last year, but it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up, especially Buehrle who lost some velocity and control. The wild card of the rotation will be 25 year old Andrew Oliver. Oliver has solid ratings, but got roughed up in his very short stint in the majors last year and didn't exactly set the world on fire in AAA ball. If he can pitch well, this should be a solid rotation 1-5.​
    Bullpen: B. The Marlins are solid in the 8th and 9th innings with Mujica likely going in the 8th, and Bell going in the 9th. Their middle innings will be decent as well led by Worrell and Oviedo, but there isn't much depth in the bullpen beyond that. If Randy Choate wins the setup role, Mujica would slide into the middle innings and really solidify that part of the bullpen.​
    Hitting: A-. Miami is going to have a scary lineup with the addition of C Alex Avila. The 1-6 hitters project to be Reyes, Bonifacio, Hanley, Stanton, Avila, Sanchez... The only lineup in baseball that might be better 1-9 is the Rangers. Kubel even adds solid power in the 7 hole. Reyes and Bonifacio in the top 2 spots should be able to get themselves in scoring position plenty often for the guys behind them to drive them in.​
    Prediction: 2nd in the NL East 93-69 Wild Card Berth​
    [​IMG]
    Washington Nationals
    Starting Pitching: A. This rotation will rival Atlanta's for the best in the National League. 1-4 they are absolutely filthy with Strasburg, Gio, Edwin Jackson, and Jordan Zimmerman. The only real question is the 5th starter. Alex Meyer and Kyle Davies will battle it out for the 5th spot, and my early favorite is Meyer. He has the stuff to be a competent major league starter, he just needs to locate his pitches a little better. The scary thing about this rotation, is the oldest member is Jackson at the age of 29... Everybody else is in their mid 20's. These guys should be the core of this Nats team for years to come.​
    Bullpen: C. Outside of Storen and Rodriguez, the Nationals bullpen could really struggle. Brad Lidge and Ryan Mattheus were the only other relievers who had an ERA under 4.00 last year. There's a bunch of relievers on the Nats' roster right now, so it will be interesting to see who performs well enough in the spring to make the cut.​
    Hitting: B. 2-4 is solid with Zimmerman, Werth, and Morse. Ian Desmond isn't a bad leadoff hitter, but he'll have to improve upon his .282 OBP from last season to be effective. Wilson Ramos is showing some very nice improvement this offseason, and could move up to the 5 hole behind Morse. Like the pitching staff, this is a very young unit that will be scary in a couple of years. The big question is whether or not Bryce Harper makes an impact in the bigs this year. He obviously has the talent, its just a matter of when Manager KnightNoles wants to call him up.​
    Prediction: 83-79 3rd in the NL East​
    [​IMG]
    New York Mets
    Starting Pitching: B-. Santana and Niese obviously have a ton of talent, but beyond that is a bit shaky. Dillon Gee got knocked around a little bit last year, and projects to be the 5th starter. Mike Pelfrey had an average year, but it will be interesting to see if he can duplicate that in 2013. The real wildcard is RA Dickey and his knuckleball. If he can continue to throw it as successfully as he has the last 3 seasons, it will be a huge boost to this bullpen. Opposing hitters only had a .253 BABIP last year though, which is down about .02 from his averages. If some more of the balls in play fall for basehits, it could be a long year for Dickey.​
    Bullpen: B+. The Mets probably have the best closer in the NL East in Frank Francisco who's coming off a career year in which he had 35 saves and held opponents to under a .200 batting average. They're looking good in the 8th inning as well with 28 year old Bobby Parnell. If the Mets starters can get them to the 8th inning, they should have a good chance at winning some games. Ramon Ramirez and Jon Rauch should provide quality support in the middle innings as well.​
    Hitting: B+. David Wright is coming off a very good year where he had a .386 OBP and 30 HR. If Andres Torres and Daniel Murphy can get on base in front of him, look for Wright to eclipse the 100 RBI mark for the first time since 2010. Ike Davis is really turning into a deep ball threat as well, with his 37 HR and 113 RBI last year. The addition of Andre Ethier to hit in the 5 hole could be key as well. This Mets team will likely lead the division in home runs, but may also lead the division in strikeouts. If they can keep the K numbers down, look for this team to produce a ton of runs.​
    Prediction: 75-87 4th in the NL East​
    [​IMG]
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Starting Pitching: C. For a team that just recently had Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels as their top 3 starters, the Phillies are really struggling to get a quality rotation put together this year. The only one left from that trio is Hamels, and there isn't much behind him outside of Vance Worley. Gavin Floyd and Wily Peralta (albeit in only 17 IP) both had over a 6.00 ERA last year, and Worley wasn't much better at 5.17. Hamels will likely continue to pitch well, but I just don't see the other 4 guys in the rotation keeping the team in too many games.​
    Bullpen: C. The only thing that saves this bullpen from a worse grade is the addition of Jonathon Broxton to close out games for them. Outside of that, this should be a very average bullpen. The best middle reliever will likely be Justin de Fratus, who will get better if he can develop his changeup a little more. It will be an interesting battle for the closer role between Phillipe Aumont and Broxton, but I think ultimately Broxton wins out. Aumont has some nasty stuff, but lacks the major league experience to come in and close games right away.​
    Hitting: B-. Although this offense is aging, there is still plenty of potency there. Ryan Howard still has some pop in his bat, hitting 25 HR in only 99 games last season, and the progression of Dominic Brown gives the Phillies some productivity out of the 4 and 5 holes. The question will be whether or not the guys in front of them can get on base to be driven in. Victorino had a solid OBP last season at .361, but Utley and Polanco both struggled to get on base behind him. The aging Phils offense will be the strength of this team, but I'm not sure it will be enough to make up for the lackluster pitching.​
    Prediction: 69-93 5th in the NL East​

• Like Like x 5
  2. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Pagamer07 this better count for a damn Team Preview! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Great analysis. If Choate can replicate his phenomenal performance from last year and Bell gets his ERA lower and doesn't have 10 loses I think the bullpen could be lights out.

4. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Very well done Timpe. Not sure about the Mets though, they added Ethier and won the wild card last year so putting them in 4th is a pretty bold prediction. Noles had a lot of injury problems last year, so we dont really know how good he is at a GM, but you and Fiddy have proven you know how to win.

5. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Yeah, it was a toss up between 3 and 4 honestly. That Nats pitching staff is just filthy though, so that's why I gave them the edge. Although, you'd think I would have learned from the World Series that offense wins championships lol.

6. Dan Heckelbeck

Dan Heckelbeck Walk On

Can I just say "DITTO" on the Mets and be done with my Team preview? LOL

7. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Timpegoose

Great JOB! I'm so glad that I got Edwin back and went after Greinke also. I didn't need a hitter per se and some guys received so play time last year, whether good or bad I don't know. I'm weary of Alex starting out with the club and he needs to start in AA or AAA he was a casualty of injuries last year and it probably would have been Matt Purke but he was injured also.

Excellent assessment, I had to many injuries last year and a lot of players received some MLB time that probably wouldn't have! Hoping to make the right "clicks" this year though!

8. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

well done!

9. Jeff Person

Jeff Person Walk On

I couldn't agree more with the analysis and I'm the one he picked to finish last :). When I took over this team, it was already the end of the season and the Phillies had finished in last place with Halladay, Lee, Rollins and Papelbon. I couldn't think of a better time to have a fire sale and try to contend a few years down the road.