2013 Offseason Week-1: re-sign players

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by Randiesel75, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Owners,

The 2013 NFL offseason is upon us.

For week-1 this is your chance to resign your players. Please ensure you are utilizing you team management page to provide transparency to the league.

Going forward we will follow the offseason schedule. I will assume all owners are aware of the schedule and will advance swiftly through each stage as the clock hits 6am (EST). Please note that scouting will open up again to all in week-2.

DU55

2. brizz98

brizz98 Walk On

Titans done.

3. bjbdahitman

bjbdahitman Andy Reid to KC... Finally a real coach...

Browns Done

4. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Vikings done. bjbdahitman & brizz98 - you guys should update Team Management page with info on who was resigned, and who will be heading to FA as well.

Side note - the game didn't even give me the opportunity to re-sign Romo! Anyone know why that is? His contract is expired. Oh well, he choked in the NFC Championship game anyways!

5. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Can you franchise tag him? Maybe decided to go FA before trade therefore couldn't resign? Don't know if you want to franchise tag Romo though!

6. JSimms

Not even an option to franchise; he doesnt show up n re-sign screen at all. I would have def thought about franchising him had I gotten the chance to...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

All signed.

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

Texans done. Tate, Bryant and Graham all headed to market.

9. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

There must be some kind of glitch. I didnt get the option to re-sign or franchise any of my players...including Cam Newton! WTF EA.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  10. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Yeah that's kind of jacked up. Those guys should be off limits in FA if that is the case.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Don't pay attention to the "Team Salaries" page at this point. It'll shows the guys who are FAs this offseason as having 1 yr remaining when it means 0, 1 year would mean next offseason.

Cam Newton isn't a FA till 2015.

Anyway, Giants are done. Giants cap situation isn't that great, stupid Eli taking up almost $20m.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Dude really? I couldnt find anything online about this. I signed a few guys during the season and Cam wasnt an option, so I think you're right. God I hope so lol.

Thanks for the help.

13. JSimms

Not the case for Romo though, Matrix. His contract is up this year, yet no option to resign or franchise. Perhaps there is a glitch for traded players??

14. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Maybe, not sure.

15. JSimms

Randiesel75 - I've been told this might be a glitch; traded players unable to be resigned by new team if contract is up in next season. I would not have done the deal had I known this - any way to remedy in FA? If the league has an issue with it, then I'll just have to deal with it (although it certainly pushes the trade with Ryno in his favor). I should at least have the option to franchise him...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  16. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

If it is truly a glitch, then I wanted to resign Sean Smith during season 1 but wasn't allowed to (after trading for him). If you get special treatment for Romo, then whoever signed Smith should release him so I can resign him.

My point is, the game is the same for all of us. We just have to deal with it.

17. brizz98

brizz98 Walk On

Note to self... Don't trade for players who have 1 year left on their contract. Lol. That burns guys. Sorry for your losses.

18. dakota7

Right? Or have the team resign him before the trade.

19. dakota7

One thing I don't like, unless I'm missing it, the game does a poor job of showing who is retiring. I wish there was a league transactions screen.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Agreed. And I think much of the oversight is due to the inherent nature of any first year product. I am very positive that in the second iteration of Connected Careers the management portions of the game will be vastly improved.

21. dakota7

I was thinking that too.

22. JSimms

That's a very disappointing, and selfish response IMO. I'm okay with letting Romo go to FA with zero option to resign or franchise tag him (although it means that I got raped by RynoAid in that trade), but do not want the rest of the league to suffer the same consequences in the future just because I had to, especially when this is a glitch that can easily be fixed by letting the teams sign the player they traded for in FA the following year. By taking the stance, "I got screwed, so everyone else should as well" is not the 'TSO Way'. Here at TSO, the dedicated owners care more about what's best for the league than what's best for themselves. You obviously do not share this thought process yet. Hopefully, you'll get there!

Moving forward, we should allow teams to sign resign players they traded for when the glitch doesn't allow them that option. If we don't, then we are basically eliminating the option to trade (or trade for) players that are in their last year of their contract. If I have drafted a young player at a position, and have an older stud at that same position in his last year of his contract, I would like to be able to trade him to a team that could use him (much like the Romo trade between me and Ryno - it was a win-win for both squads). By not agreeing to fix future issues we have in this regard, these trades will be near impossible to complete and will become nonexistent.

Again, my take - I'm okay if the commish decides not to let me resign Romo (even though other leagues have done the same for their members), but am taking a much higher road than Dakota and motion that moving forward, we agree to fix the glitch for others that come into this situation.

Just for an example - an owner in HK traded (a lot) for Cam Newton in the last year of his contract in Carolina. The next offseason, same thing - no option to resign or franchise tag. Are you telling me that in this situation, we're just going to let Newton be up for grabs in FA? That would be extremely unfair in my opinion, regardless of what we decide to do here with Romo. We would surely lose a good owner if we don't do what the HK commish did, and let that owner resign the guy that he gave up half his team for!

I trust our leader will do the right thing...

• Like Like x 1
  23. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Are you certain this is a known glitch for all Connected Careers whereby any in-season trades are affected this way for those on a 1-year contract?

24. JSimms

It has come up in several other leagues on this site. At this time, I can't say for "certain", but I could certainly spend some time this week testing if you'd like to confirm?

25. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

I'm in the same situation as JSimms and unable to sign Hernandez! This is a very easy fix....No one is able to touch these guys that we acquired in these trades because I had all intentions at throwing the bank at him to have him remain a Charger. We shouldn't have to compete with other teams on a player that we received in a trade in free agency because of a glitch. I would have franchise tagged him if it came down to that but that wouldn't have happened because I would have given him way more than he was looking for. I intentionally freed up cap space for his resigning and I took a considerable cap hit in my trade to whoozy11 when I traded away Gates..... There were not many trades last season that turned out like this so it shouldn't be very difficult to enforce.