2013 Race for the Roses

Discussion in 'The Redshirts' started by PAgamer07, Aug 2, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

[​IMG]

This year outside of the ultimate prize which is the BCS National Championship, our other top priority is making a Rose Bowl appearance and winning it! I will take a look at who currently has the inside track to the Rose Bowl every few weeks, as well as which conference has the dominance over the other. I will update this thread throughout the season. Feel free to brag about your great victories as we move through the 2013 season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearly every team is in play right now except Northwestern for the Big Ten Championship. The loss to Maryland has to sting, and although they can certainly win out in the Legends division, it is an uphill climb and they cannot afford to falter. Neither Purdue or Michigan State have opened conference play yet either.

A really tough call this early, but our favorites are looking like Iowa and West Virginia. The biggest game on the slate so far has to be the Maryland vs West Virginia rivalry which will be renewed in the Big Ten.

Big Ten Player to Watch: HB Brandon Ross (Maryland)- Ross leads the conference in rushing yards and TD and is certainly a huge reason the Terps are having such a good season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PAC-12 conference play is in full swing and boy is this conference a mess. Due to some weird design by the NCAA commissioner, there are 4 user teams in the North. Unfortunately, they still have to play the games. And boy will that division be brutal.

Right now, Arizona State has the edge in the North, and the battle with Arizona will be epic. The winner could run away with the division. Coach Roy has to get his head in the game, but right now he is at the bottom of the North.

In the South, Coach Nachos is looking good. He has a lot of games left, but the 6 point win over the Beavers was a big stepping stone. USC will be a formidable challenge, and although currently unranked, I do not expect this to last.

PAC-12 Player to Watch: QB Sean Mannion (Oregon State)- Mannion currently leads the conference in QB Rating and TDs and is 2nd in yards. A lot of big time weapons around him in the passing game.

Inter-Conference Battle (B1G vs PAC-12):

Big Ten: 3-0
    PAC-12: 0-3

*Through Week 5

So far the B1G has owned the PAC-12 and stands at 3-0 in the battle between the two and there looks to be no reason why things will change.

Past scores:

[​IMG] 37-35 [​IMG]

[​IMG]24-21[​IMG]

[​IMG] 27-14[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. PAgamer07

3. PAgamer07

Da Fuq? Our group tag is fucked up... make sure you guys rejoin it I guess

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    All group tags are suspended until I can fix them. The forum upgrade broke them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Good read. I don't see many Rose Bowl appearances in Washington's future. I do see more victories against the Big 10 in the future.

6. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    Nicely done jesse the body. Expect a little something extra in your check this week!

7. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

Jesse the Body you say,

I see the similarities between the 2, featherly outfits must be the generation

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. JohnnyClutch

9. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

@PAgamer07 "Nearly every team is in play right now except Northwestern for the Big Ten Championship."

office hockey.gif

• Like Like x 1
  10. PAgamer07

Hahah. That was my company Christmas party a few years ago. We were divided up by region and forced to do a karaoke performance. Needless to say, I was hammered.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PAgamer07

End of Week 8 Update

[​IMG]

Purdue controls it's own fate in the Leaders division. They still have a huge game with West Virginia on the schedule, as well as a game with the Buckeyes, Iowa, Indiana and Illinois. But if they win out, they will play for the B1G championship. In the Legends division, Northwestern is very much back in play with a win over Iowa. Still a lot of conference play remaining, but we are shaping up for an all user Big Ten Championship.

Big Ten Player to Watch: With the recent suspension of Brandon Ross, QB Kain Colter of Northwestern is slowly moving his way up the rankings.

[​IMG]

It's evident that the PAC-12 North is much, much better than the South. It's impossible to pick a clear cut favorite amongst all the remaining teams in either division. Outside of Cal, everyone is in play with several more conference games to go. Not even gonna attempt to analyze this thing until more games have been played. Although if I had to pick a team.. it would be the Sun Devils.

PAC-12 Player to Watch: QB Sean Mannion (Oregon State). Mannion is still putting up numbers and has 22 TD and just 10 INT

PAC-12 Cheese Alert: QB Zach Cline (Cal)- When did DNF join the league again?
    PAC-12 Cheese Alert #2: QB Michael Eubank (Arizona State)- Yeah his passing numbers are decent, but more embarassing are those 8.5 YPC. Discussions have begun behind the scenes to somehow slow down QB rushing.

Big Ten: 3-1
    PAC-12: 1-3

*Through Week 8

@TEClemson53 broke the string and has the PAC-12's first victory over a B1G opponent. Nice win Trey.

Past scores:

[​IMG]37-35 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]24-21[​IMG]

[​IMG] 27-14 [​IMG]

[​IMG] 10-20[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

Fixed. Dont you confuse me with those dirty ducks down the road

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnnyClutch

Umm...how am I in first in the south? That's just sad for all other teams involved.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PAgamer07

End of Week 12 Update:

[​IMG]

The Maryland vs West Virginia game looms large, and we have to wonder if these two douchebags will be able to actually play the game. The leaders division is still unfortunately too close to call. In the Legends division... Northwestern looks to have this wrapped up. They can look to their 26-22 head to head win over Iowa as the key victory here. They were destroyed by Maryland in week 2, losing by 23 points. If they meet again, you have to take into account the revenge factor. Unfortunately, I only think the revenge factor is worth 7 points ;)

Big Ten Player to Watch: WR Kyle Prater (Northwestern)- This guy has come from out of nowhere and is one of the best receivers in the nation. 1200 yards and 11 TD already on the season. This kid is the real deal and only a Junior!

[​IMG]

The PAC-12 North is decided and it looks like Arizona State will be representing the division in the PAC-12 Championship game. Top Gun's offense has been very tough to stop, and he just needs to figure out defense. The PAC-12 South already looks decided as well. JohnnyClutch will be representing this division. Should be an excellent matchup for the Championship and rights to play in the Rose Bowl. These two teams met in Week 8, with Washington coming through with the 24-23 win. Can he beat the same team twice in a season?

PAC-12 Player to Watch: HB Storm Woods (Oregon State). With QB Sean Mannion's recent turnover woes, the first back to hit the 1,000 yard mark in the PAC-12 has to get the nod here.

Big Ten: 3-1
    PAC-12: 1-3

The Interconference Battles are complete for the season and the Big Ten clearly had the edge. They have to be favored in their Rose Bowl matchup with whatever team comes out of the PAC-12. Oregon State was the only team to break through against the clearly superior conference. Better luck next year noobs.

15. JohnnyClutch

Superior conference it putting out a boring football product.

16. PAgamer07

Wins>Flash

• Like Like x 1
  17. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

Pac-12 Player to watch is Screw's QB & RB's....... fuck my team

• Like Like x 1
  18. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

u realize he will do everything in his power to prevent me getting any hype, right? lol. :)

19. PAgamer07

Congratulations to schreck822 for his Big Ten Championship and subsequent beat down of the Mountaineers. Also congrats to Papa Perry for his win over CPU lead Washington. My predictions could not have been farther from reality in this one. I am just happy we got a User Rose Bowl. Which (outside of a BCS National Championship), is our goal. Well done gentlemen

Please post your Rose Bowl recap in this thread. Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Thank you thank you. Wouldn't call it a beat down at all, it was pretty much a back and forth game the whole way, I finally stopped him on a drive in the 3rd qtr for the first time, and he hit the crossbar on a long field goal. Ill get the cap up soon hopefully. Very unexpected for us, not sure we can top this season, gonna be hard to replace Colter.

21. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Arizona Shuts Down The Machine Known As Northwestern In A 31-10 Rose Bowl Victory

Arizona started off the game well, drawing first blood on a 24 yard play action pass from Jesse Scroggins to Devonta Neal. Scroggins only had 1 TD for the game but he was efficient and made very little mistakes. Following the 'Zona TD drive, Northwestern was able to answer with a Kain Colter TD pass to Kyle Prater. Arizona answered right back with a long TD drive that was finished off with Rose Bowl MVP Kadeem Carey. Northwestern was able to get back into Arizona territory but only got a FG for their troubles. The second half was littered with Northwestern turnovers. One of which was an unbelievable sideline catch by Jonathan McKnight that he stole right in front of Kyle Prater. Senior D. Rainey was also able to jump one on a hitch route and the 3rd turnover was a fumble forced by Rainey on a Colter scramble and was picked up by S. Tuihalamaka. Turnovers wasn't Colter's only problems, he was harassed by the front seven all day. MLB J. Fischer was able to grab 2 sacks and DE Washington and OLB M. Flowers were able to add another each. Kadeem Carey was able to add a 3rd TD in the 3rd quarter and the offense was able to put together drives that frustrated the Northwestern defense and put the NW offense in desperation mode which forced the turnovers and bad passes. The stat of the game was Arizona's 20:11 possession time compared to NW's 11:09, as it's been said before, you can't score if you don't have the ball.
    Stats

Passing
    NU C. Kolter 16/28 219 yards 1 TD
    ARIZ J. Scroggins 15/18 239 yards 1 TD 0 INT

Rushing
    NU V. Mark 9 att 30 yards 0 TD
    ARIZ K. Carey 23 att 102 yards 3 TD

Receiving
    NU K. Prater 5 cth 99 yards 1 TD
    NU D. Vitale 5 cth 38 yards 0 TD
    ARIZ A. Hill 5 cth 92 yards 0 TD
    ARIZ D. Neal 2 cth 32 yards 1 TD

Defense
    NU C. Ariguzo 6 tack 1 sack
    NU I. Odenigbo 7 tack 1 sack
    NU D. Proby 8 tack
    NU D. Fleming 8 tack
    ARIZ J. McKnight 4 tack 1 INT
    ARIZ D. Rainey 4 tack 1 INT 1 FF
    ARIZ J. Fischer 3 tack 2 sacks
    ARIZ M. Flowers 7 tack 1 sack

22. PAgamer07

Great game by Carey. Congrats on the win!