2013 Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by droid43, Aug 28, 2012.

1. droid43

droid43 Walk On

Week 1
    Cornerback Steve Newberry (5'9, 178) from Blytheville, AR committed to the Cowboys on the spot. Newberry has good cover skills that will improve over time. He also has great quickness and agility.

Week 2
    Offensive tackle Jason Glover (6'6, 288), Fond du Lac, WI is a HUGE commitment for Oklahoma State. We believe that Glover is extremely underrated by many of the national recruiting services. He is a mauler when run blocking and will have to work on his pass blocking skills, but this big guy has got tremendous strength and speed.

Week 3
    Clay Smith (6'2, 279) from Lower Burrell, PA gave his verbal commitment to Coach Gundy. Smith is an outstanding pass blocker and holds his own in the run game as well. His smaller size allows his to play very fast. He's a very athletic player and also has tremendous strength. He will play center at Oklahoma State.

Week 4
    Offensive guard Jeremy Salas (6'3, 309) of Southlake, TX becomes the latest member of the Oklahoma State Cowboys. The Pokes stole one from OU again this week. Salas took his visit and enjoyed his time so much in Stillwater he committed to the Cowboys after being a soft verbal to the Sooners. Jeremy is a solid offensive lineman that excels in pass and run blocking.

Week 6
    David McCarthy (6'5, 305), offensive guard, form Aspen, CO joins the Oklahoma State Cowboys this week. Coach Gundy continues to shore up the offensive line for years to come. McCarthy is another big body that can pass and run block.

Week 7
    Three players committed to the Cowboys over this past week.

DE Brett Brooks (6'5, 257) of Greenville, TX was the first to pledge to Oklahoma State. Brooks is known more as a run stopper than a pass rusher, but he sheds blocks very well. He will redshirt and compete for a spot at defensive end in the 2014 season.

Oklahoma State picked up a gem right out of its own backyard. Ryan Hale (6'3, 206) of Stillwater, OK fills a spot of need this offseason.

WR Mike Hill (6'0, 191) was the last to commit during the week. Hill doesn't quite provide the size or speed that Zac Butler and Matt Russell do, but he understands routes, catches the ball very consistently, and rarely drops the ball.

**Breaking News**
    QB Kevin Ross (6'3, 202) from Katy, TX has just committed to Coach Mike Gundy during his weekly phone call. Ross is your prototypical pocket passer that has above average throwing power and accuracy. Ross will be redshirted and will eventually be in line to compete for the quarterbacking job.

Week 8
    DE Brigham Holmes (6'4, 278) will join Oklahoma State from McComb, MS. Holmes is an amazing football player, but his one problem is a big one for a defensive end, speed and quickness. Holmes sheds blocks and stops the run like no other, but does not have the quickness to consistently get to the quarterback. With his size, he could easily be moved to defensive tackle.

TE Jerrell Vincent (6'2, 226) out of Ada, OK also committed to Coach Mike Gundy after a long and arduous process. "Jerrell was on our radar for a very long time, but we have been so focused on filling other areas of need that we weren't ever able to give him much time during the week. We were finally able to get him scouted and liked what we saw, so we offered him the scholarship. He didn't waste any time after that (laughs)."

CB Ken Washington (5'10, 171) also committed. Oklahoma State pushed very late for Ken. He was all but committed to the Akron Zips, but after his visit to Stillwater he decided to play for the big boys. Ken is a very fast player who will need to work on his cover skills a bit before seeing the field on defense.

Week 9

SS Kyle Powell (6'2, 193) confirmed his commitment on twitter mid-week. Powell may not be the best athlete on the field, but he is a smart player and knows where he needs to be on any given play and gets there. The Brownwood, TX native may be switched to FS when he arrives on campus because the coaches are confident he can play either safety spot.

DE Jeff Johnson (6'3, 255) from Cut Off, LA has committed to the Cowboys. Johnson excels in every area as a defensive lineman. He has great quickness and can shed blocks with power or finesse.

Week 12

After a brief cool down in recruiting, the Cowboys make a splash in week 12. The Pokes have really focused on recruiting talent from all areas. The 2013 class consisted of about 85% Texan signees. In the 2014 recruiting class, only 41% of the class is from Texas. This may be due to the run Oklahoma State had last year and more recruits nationwide are considering the Cowboys. Whatever the reason, the Cowboys have been reaping the rewards from states such as Arkansas, Colorado, New York, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania.

DE Devin Jackson (6'2, 241) from Crossett, AR may just be another hidden gem according to the Oklahoma State Coaches. Jackson may be a slightly shorter than your stereotypical defensive end, but he can play some football. Jackson lacks straight line speed, but he gets to his top speed in a hurry. Jackson excels against the run and the pass and is the final recruit to bolster this defensive line heavy class.

OLB Rusty Sims (6'3, 232) from Leon Valley, TX also gave his commitment to the Black and Orange this week. Sims is a relatively unknown talent from Texas. He was placed in the ESPN 150 at the beginning of the year, but a season ending injury has kept the Cowboys from getting any true scouting on him. Sims earned much hype after a great junior year, and the Coaches in Stillwater believe that if he can get healthy he should continue to provide a great presence against the run.

T Andrew Fisher (6'5, 320), Amsterdam, NY. Fisher is the last offensive lineman to be signed in this class. He is a huge, strong, athletic player that blocks exceptionally well for the run or pass. Fisher rounds out one of the most impressive offensive line classes that Oklahoma State has ever assembled.

Week 13

SS Eric Ross (5'11, 168) is the latest commitment. Ross is from Carrington, ND and has a skill set that translates better to FS once enrolling in college. He's a better zone defender and has more quickness that overall speed. Ross tackles well but can often be fooled due to his sub-par play recognition skills.

DT Bryan Parks (6'0, 280) from Harvey, LA also commits to the Cowboys this week. Parks is a stocky player that is very strong and has a quick first step. Parks is a solid run defender that will provide solid depth at defensive tackle with Senior Anthony Rogers leaving the team after the 2013 season.

Week 14

ATH Mike Frazier (6'6, 218) from Montrose, CO joins the Cowboys current class. Mike is a big, thick, fast athlete who catches the ball well. Sound familiar? Frazier is almost an exact clone of Zac Butler. The tapes are remarkably similiar. Butler seems to have a higher top speed, but expect big things from Mr. Frazier.

The Cowboys only have one scholarship remaining. Inside sources have claimed that CB Freddie Blair has been offered the spot and is currently discussing it with his parents.

Week 15

CB Freddie Blair (6'1, 192) has made it official. The Sallisaw, OK native becomes the 21st and final signee of the 2014 Cowboy recruiting class. Blair is a solid corner prospect that will need a couple of years to mature and improve his cover and tackling skills before vying for a spot on the field.

ESPN currently has Oklahoma State's class rated at #4
    ESPN 150: 10
    Oklahoma State 2014 Recruting Class:

:3stars:CB Steve Newberry (5'9, 178)
    :3stars:T Jason Glover (6'6, 288)
    :4stars:C Clay Smith (6'2, 279)
    :3stars:G Jeremy Salas (6'3, 309)
    :4stars:G David McCarthy (6'5, 305)
    :4stars:DE Brett Brooks (6'5, 257)
    :3stars:FS Ryan Hale (6'3, 203)
    :5stars:WR Mike Hill (6'0, 191)
    :4stars:QB Kevin Ross (6'3, 202)
    :3stars:DE Brigham Holmes (6'4, 278)
    :3stars:TE Jerrell Vincent (6'2, 226)
    :3stars:CB Ken Washington (5'10, 171)
    :4stars:SS Kyle Powell (6'2, 193)
    :4stars:DE Jeff Johnson (6'3, 255)
    :3stars:DE Devin Jackson (6'2, 241)
    :4stars:OLB Rusty Sims (6'3, 232)
    :4stars:T Andrew Fisher (6'5, 320)
    :4stars:SS Eric Ross (5'11, 168)
    :3stars:DT Bryan Parks (6'0, 280)
    :4stars:ATH Mike Frazier (6'6, 218)
    :3stars:CB Freddie Blair (6'1, 192)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Wake Forest got their first signing this week in 4 star ATH Chad Thomas.

:4stars: Chad Thomas - ATH - 6'3, 291 lbs - Troy, OH

3. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

4. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Looks like Wick got a monster athlete to commit early ~~ I'm jealous

5. azreinman

azreinman Walk On

UVA signed a 3 star 70 rated WR. Not a position of need but down the road a great pick up

• Like Like x 1
  6. KChuskey

KChuskey Walk On

Despite the horrid loss to Miami....South Carolina was able to commit 5'11" 192 lb ...4 Star Derrick Horne (ATH)

7. droid43

droid43 Walk On

Don't sweat it too much, You'll get used to Heisman. It really is the best difficulty this year. AA is just too easy.

8. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Yeah seriously lol. I lost my opening game to Auburn(CPU) 45-24 last season but then started to learn how to play on heisman :D The biggest thing is sometimes the CPU will just cheat it's way to points and you gotta remain steady and not get frustrated.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  9. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

The Irish pull in our first recruit of the class in 3* MLB Jeremy Thomas. He's an athletic freak at 6'3 225 with 87 speed/93 acc. He's a little lacking in a lot of the skills, but we can teach him those things. Should be a stud in a few years if he develops. 18 more spots to go.

Thomas MLB.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  10. droid43

droid43 Walk On

The race for TE Dustin Hart is really heating up, eh schreck822? I can't believe how big of a lead I have on him now after the week 3 visit, much less the 380 point lead.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  11. KChuskey

KChuskey Walk On

South Carolina gets back on track against A&M, with 10 recruits in attendance. Will it garner some commits? Coach Huskey is optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Good, he doesn't look like a TE. And keep up the good work Droid. Don't let him get another good TE! lol

13. Wick36

He's mine.

14. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Oh, you guys are recruiting that no talent wanna-be? After I saw his actual stats, I cooled on him, he's not even close to the kind of beast I need at TE. Sad really, you guys fighting over my scraps and all. I mean, I'm sure he'll be a nice player for you guys though.

Everybody knows ND is Tight End U, we can take whoever we want there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. droid43

droid43 Walk On

Haha I only have him like 20% scouted, does he really fall that far? Either way, I just need someone that will catch the ball 2-3 times a game. I can't take away too many opportunities from my wideouts.

16. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Yeah, he takes a big hit. You might want to stop scouting him so you don't have to feel like an idiot for recruiting such a big bust. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just sayin.

17. Wick36

I have him fully scouted. :)

18. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Oh, so you know what you're getting yourself into then. Better to be informed than ignorant I guess ;).

19. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Oh, and have you looked at his picture? The guy isn't even 18 yet and he's balding. Serious lack of testosterone in this kid, just one of those guys that peaked too early and won't amount to much in college. Too bad, another case of teams chasing the star ratings. You guys should really save yourselves the trouble and let this kid go to a MAC school where he'll fit in better.

Hart Balding.PNG

See what I mean? Balding, he can't be good.

20. Wick36

I need a fullback. Also, you still have him targetted!

21. droid43

droid43 Walk On

Thanks for the warning! Scholarship pulled. Oklahoma State wants nothing to do with balding players.

• Like Like x 1
  22. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Uh, that's an old screen capture...

Bender Shifty Eyes.gif

• Like Like x 1
  23. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Good to see you are a man of principals. I respect that. A lot.

• Like Like x 1
  24. droid43

droid43 Walk On

To be a Cowboy you don't just have to play good, you have to look good.

[​IMG]

25. schreck822

schreck822 Walk On

Heck yeah man, that's my motto. It's like my old Freshmen Football team coach used to say, "Gentlemen, when you look good, you feel good. When you feel good, you are gooood (he was like 100, so he really drug out his words, guy was awesome). Now get out there and play good!"

• Like Like x 1