2013 (Season 5) In-Season Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by jdrhammer, Feb 24, 2010.

1. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

2013 (Season 5) In-Season Recruiting Thread

All recruiting updates here please. Beginning with the new season.

2. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Screw Penn St!

3. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

yep, they got an on the spot commit, i was pissed too

4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Who'd they snag?????

5. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Mark O'Connor the #1 DT who also runs a 4.58 40 yd dash. It makes me want to schedule them and show him what he's missing but he's good enough to worry me. Lol

They also stole a 4* TE this past off season.

6. Itsnotagame

Itsnotagame Walk On

i hit them where it hurts beat them last night. That DT will be a beast for 3 to for years i dont think i want to be on their schedule

7. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Rebels Snag 1st Commit of the Year!

ghg..................

8. fsupenguin

fsupenguin Walk On

Well Nebraska got an instant commit from the only QB I really liked in this class, the Gators offense sure could have used him. Had to say how our class with shape up, we should have some news with our next advance as we hosted a few recruits during our game vs Cal.

9. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

theirs alot of solid qbs out there just keep at it im sure u can land one of 'em

10. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

The ball coach is still laying low in recruiting... Will start ratcheting it up for some DT's shortly.

Will be the smallest class for me since taking over the squad... That is unless a few boys go pro early.

11. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

I need to sign a QB just to field 3 deep. I have two outstanding QBs on the depth chart right now. I haven't seen any good QBs....or at least any that are interested in auburn. I am going after the #4 QB but he really doesn't fit my system so he is at the bottom of my board. Tenn or miss will land him. I'm probably gonna have a walk-ok as my 3rd stringer next year.

12. fsupenguin

fsupenguin Walk On

That combo of a good arm and enough mobility to make the defense respect the option threat if lacking in ones who I have a shot at though. The dude Nebraska plucked had UF at #2 in preseason, and it is now big drop off from him to the next QB who I have a realistic shot at. I'm not someone who loves to run with there QB a lot, but I need some hope of moving around with the crazy pass rush these sliders bring at times.

13. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Believe it or not, the pass blocking sliders are at 60 for both user and cpu and pass rush is at 35 for user and 30 for CPU. I had lowered pass rush a little during WEEK 1 of the season but forgot to update them here so inag will have to update those. I think it won't go into effect until next week though.

This is one of the weakest groups of QB's I've seen. James Madison, the QB you spoke of from LA, was on my board during the pre-season but I decided to take him off so luckily I didn't spend any time on him. I'm pretty set at QB for 3-4 years plus I can only sign 13 or 14 this year and have 19 JR's so I can gamble a little next year. He's well-rounded but I had a hard time liking his size. He'd have been plenty good enough IMHO, though.

14. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

I called 4* FL FS Jonathan Norman to set up his visit and before I could tell him what he should expect from a visit to "The Grove" he cut me off to say he had some great news! Great news it was.

Norman is a freakish Safety who is 6'5" 217 and runs a 4.32 40. Norman likes playing both sides of the ball and asked to get a look at WR just to see if it meant getting on the field quicker.

The Rebels beat out Bama, UGA, and Tenn for the services of Norman.

*** I think those are the other 3 teams he had offers from. My apologies if I botched the list.

15. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

I'm out of town. Any commits this week? Has HB Landry or CB Concepcion committed to anyone yet?

16. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

3* MLB Bryan Hartman from Alabama was set to visit this week for the big LSU game. During the phone call to set up the visit, Hartman decided to give coach RTP the good news before his trip. Hartman gave a hard committment to the Bulldogs.

This fills a huge need for the defense.

17. Sublime321

Sublime321 Walk On

Bama pulls in its 1st two recruits of the season…and boy are they big ones.

Former SEC Speed recruit of the week, FB Darrius Jackson, gave Bama the pledge. At 5’11 218lbs, Jackson is a bit undersized. He seems to be more of a power I-Back than a true FB. He’s got speed for the position, good hands out of the backfield and above average blocking. Look for Jackson to step in and start as a FR, replacing Mike Marrow.

Bama also picked up a verbal from an underrated CB. Anything short of 7*’s would be cutting this kid short…let alone 4*’s. CB Bryan Concepcion looks to be a potential superstar in the secondary. Concepcion is a burner, clocking in at a 4.36 in the 40 and registers as the fastest CB in the nation. He also is great in man coverage (B+), good in zone (B), a great leaper (B+) and is also very fluid and flat out quick (B+ AGI and A- ACC). Concepcion looks to project as a nickel as a FR and step right into a starting role as a SO.

All in all, this was a great week for the Crimson Tide. They did miss out on stud RB Elgin Landry. After making a strong early season push, Bama fell behind Ole Miss as they wooed Landry with the beautiful “scenery” at The Grove.

18. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

The Rebels have quietly began to build their recruiting class after the slowest start in recent history.

Ole Miss landed the nation's #1 ranked HB in Elgin Landry. Landry is a homerun threat the Rebs don't have and will be given a shot to be the return man right out of the gate. As much as the OM coaches love Landry, they would have hated to have faced him for 4 years at LSU, Auburn or Bama even worse.

Ole Miss also pursued AL CB Concepcion but couldn't pull him in. Once he soft committed to the Tide, Ole Miss extended an offer to 3* AR CB Erik Gates. Gates has great size at 6'1" 195 and runs a solid 4.40. Gates is probably a little underrated but will likely redshirt anyway. He'll be ready to contribute in his RS FR season.

The Rebels also landed 3* ATH Chad Watkins from FL. He seems to be a tweener HB/FB and offers excellent size at 6'2" 245. He runs a 4.54 so it's yet to be determined where he'll play but it will likely be FB since the Rebs will take a hit at the position over the next 3 years.

We also went up into unchartered territory whey 3* DE Mark Jenkins from VT committed. Solid DE pick up with nice size, speed, and great moves. Jenkins could easily be a starter down the road and has a nice frame to work with at 6'5" 243.

The Rebels are still looking for DT's and the top two targets are 4* JUCO DT Ronnie Woods and 3* John Perry. Woods is talented enough to step in and start while Perry will likely need a RS year to fill out and require some time to prepare. OM leads for both of these prospects.

Other top prospects along the DL include DE's James Peters, a 6'2" 242 3* rush end from MS, who is being courted heavily by other SEC schools Auburn, Bama and LSU, and Ryan Crowder, a 6'3" 254 lbs 3* prospect who is beating pursued heavily by OM and LSU.

On Offense the Rebs top remaining targets are mostly OL and TE's.

4* OG Zach Meeks of GA is the top OL target. At 6'6" 325, he is ready to play if needed but would likely draw a redshirt.

At TE, the Rebs are pursuing two 4*'s in Aaron Bennett and Josh Kennedy. Bennett may commit to the Fighting Irish this week so the Rebels camp has some doubts as to how likely they are to get him in Oxford. The lure of South Bend may be too much to overcome. Josh Kennedy is favoring the local "U" and has them just ahead of the Rebels at this time. There is a better chance to land him over Bennett but the Rebs have their work cut out for them at TE again this season.

We only have room for 13 guys this year so spots are getting limited. Other than some serious speed in this class, the OM staff feels like it is a weak overall class and its a good one to not have too many needs. We'll have our work cut out for us next season as we have at least 19 spots open.

Also, on a scheduling note, OM would like to play Oklahoma and Penn St as the two big OOC teams next year. After looking over their rosters, they will be tough opponents and the Rebs want to play some of the recruits who chose not to play in Oxford.

19. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

First the QB Mendoza then WR Miller last year, now Landry!!!!!! Geez just no luck for the Tigers of Auburn. Losing key recruits to Ole Miss year after year has to stop. I made a small run at Conception but I as too far behind from the start. This is by far the slowest recruiting year to date. No one is inked and will not ink anyone soon. I am losing a different recruit every week.

I only need to sign 13 players so I am not too worried yet. At this point in the season I usually have 3-5 guys signed. I go after a few players hard in the beginning and get them to sign then I start the second wave.....

Ole Miss....I am gunning HARD for one of your top recruits and I will steal one back!!! hahaha....and you will know who it is when you see them sign the dotted line at Auburn

20. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

I'm sure it's Peters, the fast DE from MS which is my home state. You started this whole recruiting war by invading MS when you had just as good in AL. lol

Get out and stay out!!!

21. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

I still only have sign one player 4 star tackle..lost the 5 star FB to alabama when we lost at home to alabama..he was in the stands

22. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

SC's last three stink bombs aren't making the reruits pour in any time soon... Looks like the off season is going to be when most of my boys are landed again...

23. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Finally snagged a recruit... 5* ATH (#2 in class) Eric King (name?)...

A little short, but looks like a shoe in for a CB spot in the future...

24. fsupenguin

fsupenguin Walk On

Gators class starting to come into a focus a little bit with a couple of signings.
    3* #20 OLB Justin Brooks brings a 4.56 40 to the swamp and better than average awareness, his decent speed and ability to fight off blocks and get to the ball give him a chance to get some playing time as a true freshman next season.
    3* #26 WR Chris Macklin brings some desperately needed speed to the Gators WR core. Not the most evasive after the catch, but his decent hands and good route running give him a very real chance to claim a spot on the depth chart early.

We have some other good linebackers and offensive linemen in our sights, but the main name on our list right now looks to be 4* #6 QB Freddie Butler who we are currently battling Colorado and Arkansas for. Butler has a strong arm and just enough speed in his legs to make him a possible dual threat. With a bye week coming next the Gators coaching staff with be working extra hard not to lose ground and set themselves up well for the home games against UGA and Vandy to figure to have several recruits on the sideline.

25. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

I'm turning LSU in for recruiting violations. He stole MS DE James Peters.