2013 Season Preview

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by PAgamer07, Aug 14, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

A more appropriate song cannot be found for the way Season 1 went down. There were two epic Hail Mary's which ended National Championship hopes of two teams in Michigan and USC. One of which helped to propel the Ohio State Buckeyes to the National Championship. Two plays over the course of an entire season and thousands of other plays which we can look back on and see how impactful they really were.

With that said... it's time to look back, and look ahead to the 2013 season.

[​IMG] We start with Ohio State, the winners of the National Championship. To say I was a little disappointed a user won the Championship would be an understatement. But Screw earned this one (albeit with a little luck from above). After beating Michigan once in "The Game" and a second time for the B1G Championship, there was no doubt the Buckeyes were the cream of the crop here in the Redshirts. They only had one obstacle in their way... Utah. A team that singlehandedly beat 3 users in the PAC-12. It was a close game, but they prevailed with a last second FG to capture the title.

This year, they return early Heisman favorite Braxton Miller. He will lead the spread attack this year again, and he looks even more improved athleticly. Gone though is his favorite weapon in Jake Stonebrunner so he will have to find a new go to guy. They suffered a lot of losses, with guys transferring elsewhere to get more playing time on both sides of the ball. They return two dominant defensive players though in DT Jonathan Hankins and SS CJ Barnett, so I expect their defense to be as solid as ever.

Prediction? Big Ten Champions

[​IMG] Our second most lucky team last year was the Oregon Ducks. Week 11 saw a huge upset win in Southern Cal, which would give them a lot of confidence. Unfortunately they fell a bit short and lost to Utah later in the year, which would be a monumental setback. They ended the season very well after this loss, but I am sure that one stings.

This year they enter the season ranked #2 in the Nation (one which I think is very high) but have a tough road ahead of them. Gone is HB Kenyon Barner, but they return QB Brian Bennett and HB DeAnthony Thomas will take over the starting HB role. This kid is the fastest running back in the country and is a real threat to take it to the house every time they touch the ball. They have a very good secondary which matches up well with some of the other high flying teams in the PAC, but the rest of the defense is suspect.

Prediction? Falls short in PAC-12 Championship to Stanford

[​IMG] The Wisconsin Badgers had an incredibly disappointing year, with one of the most talented rosters. How these guys went 4-4 in conference is beyond me. The beatdown and subsequent surrender to Ohio State was a major blemish on their season.

This year they once again return one of the deepest teams in the dynasty. They currently field 13 players rated 90+ OVR. The QB/WR tandem of Danny O'brien and Jarred Abederris both return, and Abederris should win 1st team All-Big Ten honors before it's over with. On defense, they are loaded as well, highlighted by MLB Chris Borland. This team is in excellent shape, but can the coach handle the pressure?

Prediction: A loss to Ohio State (again) keeps them from the Championship Game

[​IMG] Stanford is going to surprise some people this year. They won their division last year but fell short to a very good Utah team. Gone is last year's HB Of the Year in Stepfan Taylor, but I think the guy taking his place in Anthony Wilkerson is even better. Somehow this team lost 4 games last year, and I don't think there is any chance they do the same.

Defense is where Coach Adams has always made his name and this year should be no different. I believe he is one of the only teams in the PAC-12 running the 3-4 and last year it was one of the best in the country. MLB Jarek Lancaster will be the playmaker in this defense and with a 94 Block Shedding, should lead the team in tackles. The offensive line and tight ends are both solid.

Prediction: PAC-12 Champions

[​IMG] How you lose twice to the Ohio State Buckeyes in the same season is beyond me. This will easily be the rivalry to watch this year and I am sure the Wolverines want nothing more than to embarass their rivals. I don't think it will take a Hail Mary for the Wolverines to lose again this year though.

The problem?? Denard Robinson is gone. He won: The Heisman, Maxwell, Walter Camp and Redshirts MVP Award last year and is IMPOSSIBLE to replace. Senior Devin Gardner will most likely get the start, but he is nowhere near the talent of Robinson. HB Fitzgerald Touissant quietly surpassed 1000 yards rushing last year, and I expect him to get a heavy workload. The defense is improving, but is still not near the level of Ohio State

Prediction: Falls short in Championship game to Ohio State

[​IMG] As was the case with Michigan, the Trojans season came crashing down at the hands of the most improbable, impossible and utterly unimpressive plays you will ever see. A game tieing Hail Mary to force OT in which they ended up losing. USC is looking forward to a visit to Eugene this year, but they have to wonder if the talent is there?

Stud WR's Marqise Lee and Robert Woods both return this year, and now is the time for QB Cody Kessler to show the team what he is made of. Expectations will be high, but the trigger will be primed if he struggles. The offensive line is much improved from a year ago, so it's possible we see a more balanced attack. On defense? It's a trainwreck. There are even true Freshmen expected to start, and it will be a tough season for the Trojans.

Prediction: Misses Championship game

[​IMG] What a disappointing year for the Gamecocks. 8-5 is not how their season was expected to go, but the writing was on the wall after a Week 1 loss to Duke. They really didn't have any statement wins, and finishing behind Tennessee showed how bad this team was.

This year though should be a different story. Definitely one of the highest rated teams on both sides of the ball they will surprise a lot of people. On offense, they have a legit 3 headed monster in Marcus Lattimore, Connor Shaw and Ace Sanders. The offensive line is solid, but could be a bit of a weakness. On defense, Javeon Clowney returns and we can only hope he lives up to his ratings. This team has a lot of talent, and if they don't win this year, the coach will be on the hot seat.

Prediction: SEC Champions

[​IMG] This team was so close last year, but after a loss at USC it was tough for them to recover. They finished 12-2 and won the SEC, but just couldn't get themselves into position for a National Championship appearance. Unfortunately.. this is a completely different team.

The good news for the team is that Knile Davis returns again and will lead this team. Expect the Razorbacks to pound the ball more. Gone is stud QB Tyler Wilson and at the WR position, there is certainly no one there that Coach Fowler will rely on. The offensive line is decent but has some holes. On defense? Outside of SS Eric Bennett, this team will give up A LOT of points. As was the case in NCAA '11 it will take Arkansas some time to get the defensive pieces in place.

Prediction: 2nd in Division behind South Carolina

[​IMG] Absolutely nobody thought Illinois would go 10-3 last year. They had a great year and have a lot to build on. The problem? It will take awhile to build to compete with the big boys. They also need to put themselves on the map with a convincing win over a legit power house.

The roster is in pretty bad shape. Although they did well recruiting last year, at the minimum we are looking at 2 years before we start to see progress. The QB situation is a mystery and if Scheelschase gets the nod look for a lot of frustration. There are no real playmakers offensively and the offensive line is pretty bad. On defense they do have some bright spots and one of those is MLB Jonathan Brown who will be a big time playmaker. They just need a lot more help, and those 10 wins were gained by solid coaching. Not talent.

Prediction: 3rd in the Division

[​IMG] Missouri had an OK season considering the talent on the roster. Coach Chili did wonders, and we have to expect some improvement. But I don't think we will see improvement the level of South Carolina. I am unsure what we will see out of these guys, but they are not favorites for much of anything.

Freshman of the Year WR Dorial Greenbeckham, QB James Franklin and HB Henry "Outlaw" Josey "Wales" return to lead this offensive attack and all look substantially better. The problem here is that the highest offensive lineman is rated 84. Ouch. The defense is not that much better, especially the secondary and I see no way they can compete with the Big Boys in the conference. They did not have much luck recruiting, so I don't know when, if ever we see much out of the Tigers.

Prediction: 2nd in Division

[​IMG] The Cal Bears finished second in a pretty strong division winning 8 games. Unfortunately they went 4-4 in conference and expectations are low again. They really did well recruiting last season, and "picked up scraps" of USC, Oregon and Stanford.

On offense, reigning WR of the Year Keenan Allen returns and continues to give this team a deep threat after nearly amassing 2000 yards receiving. They have a much better QB this year in Allan Bridgford and I expect improved accuracy here. The rest of the team though? A dumpster fire. When your 3rd highest rated player is a Punter, you've got problems.

Prediction: 2nd in division

[​IMG] And finally... The Aggies. Coach Evans was putrid last year. Even his win over Ohio State was counted as a fluke and the voters still kept the Buckeyes high in the polls. The season would be a disaster, costing A&M a prestige star and they finished 5-7 and missed a Bowl Game.

So will they be better this year? Yes. Because they cannot get worse. They have an improved Jamille Showers, and excellent back in Ben Malena and an improved offensive line. The defense (which was the bane of Brian's existense last year) is even worse this year and I sense a lot of frustration. He needs to find the right pieces (even if Overall is lower) to play to his scheme. I do think the team will be bowl elligible this year, but they won't shock the world.

Prediction: 2nd in division

• Like Like x 5
  2. sonn

sonn Walk On

You bitter, bitter old man. It was a beautiful play.

At least everytime you see that new sig of yours you'll be reminded about that collapse.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Agree fully with ur assessment of the illini but i think it had more to do with luck than coaching. Tried to find a playmaker but couldnt get one but there is alot more interest in us from recruits so should be able to get a couple this season.

4. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

What new sig?

5. PAgamer07

Tell me about it.. Just sent Ryno a PM

6. PAgamer07

Oh yeah... and congrats to TEClemson53 as Coach of the Year in a landslide. He gets 1 extra 5 star this year. Don't fuck it up!

• Like Like x 1
  7. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Thats one brutal schedule definitely wont win 10 this year

8. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

High hopes coming from the commish on my prediction of Pac 12 Champ.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

Thanks slackers, you make it too easy :p

I'll find a way to fuck it up, I'll just take 1 of those bust 5 stars that nobody wants.

• Like Like x 1