2013 Season Previews

Discussion in 'The Flashback' started by hornfaninbama, Oct 3, 2013.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Not Mandatory, but I like to do them.

2. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

[​IMG]
    Oooh La La

Lafayette, LA- The last 2 seasons have been the best 2 seasons in Ragin Cajuns History. They are 2 time defending New Orleans Bowl Champions, and are coming off back to back 9 win seasons. The second and third time the school has won that many games in a season, and the first time since Lafayette was a member of D1AA's Southland Conference. Head Coach Mark Hudspeth went 18-8 in his 2 seasons, before taking off to take control of a "real program." John Carrol Catholic High School in New Orleans.

The good news for U-LA-LA fans is that the Cajuns are a young squad, and have all the tools to contend for a Sun Belt title this season. The key to the team will be how well Houston transfer, Terrance Broadway can perform.

[​IMG]
    Terrance Broadway celebrates a run for a 1st down

Broadway is a Junior this year, and the 6'2" 211 pound Baton Rouge native transferred from Houston after the 2010 season. He redshirted during his transfer year and led the Ragin Cajuns with 2842 yards passing 17 TD's and 9 interceptions. Broadway is a dual threat QB and he rushed for 769 yards and 9 TD's last season. If he can recapture the magic from last year the offense should get on a roll and be one of the most explosive in the conference.

[​IMG]
    Alonzo Harris Totes The Rock

The other star on offense is 6'1" 220 pound RB Alonzo Harris. Harris is also a junior, and the power back ran for 881 yards and 10 TD's last season. For the Ragin Cajuns to perform well on offense he wil have to return to the same form as 2012.

As a whole the U-LA-LA offense is a junior laden unit, most of the key cogs will be back for next season, which bodes well for the success of the program going forward.

The defense will be led by SS TJ Worthy. Worthy, like Harris is from Gadsden, AL and the former high school teammates have helped lead the defense and offense respectively. Worthy redshirted one season so he is a year behind his roommate. Worthy racked up 46 tackles and 2 interceptions last season, and hopes to improve this year.
    [​IMG]
    Worthy drags down an OSU WR

Jake Molbert is the star of the front 7 at the MLB spot. Molbert tallied 56 tackles and 1 FR last season, and will be the QB of the defense this year. The Rayne, LA native has excellent speed, and uses it to his advantage when he's caught out of position.

[​IMG]
    Jake Molbert and his crazy eyes

The most exciting thing for the Louisiana Lafayette fans should be that all of the key players listed above are Juniors or younger. The Ragin Cajuns should contend for the Sun Belt Title this season, and have all the pieces in place to be a possible BCS buster next year. This season, anything less than 9 or 10 wins would be considered a dissapointment.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

2013 TULANE GREEN WAVE SEASON PREVIEW

[​IMG]
    Senior Running Back #26 Orleans Darkwa Takes A Hand-off During Tulane Two-A-Days Practice
    It's safe to be excited about the future of Tulane football even if the Green Wave's recent results – say, over the past 14 years – paint a picture of a program stuck in a long, painful and irreversible malaise. Here is one reason for optimism:

The new Head Coach, Matt Brown , the former Ohio State graduate/player and Ohio State Buckeyes offensive coordinator assistant (2009-12) with the inroads and recruiting touch to eventually bolster Tulane's roster with the sort of talent needed to win not merely once but consistently.

The Tulane Green Wave went 2-10 in 2012 to finish in (or tied) for last place in Conference USA’s West Division for a fourth consecutive season. However, the Green Wave suffered several close losses last season, including setbacks against good teams in Rutgers (12-24), Rice (47-49) and East Carolina (23-28). In a nutshell: Tulane lost 10 games last year, scored less than 300 points, allowed more than 415 points, was outscored by more than 200 points, lost to a Sun Belt team and beat only one team of consequence. These are recognizable facts and figures for anyone familiar with Tulane's recent history. So what changed? While Tulane did hang tight with more than a few teams during Conference USA play, the changes occurred primarily off the field and on the recruiting trail, where Brown has made a definite mark after little more than a few months in his new position. More is needed, of course, but progress is progress, and Tulane will take it where it comes.

The Green Wave will be one of the most underrated teams in the country heading into 2013. That’s because they are coming off a 2-10 season while finishing in or tied for last place in Conference USA’s West Division for a fourth straight year.

I really love what head coach Matt Brown brings to this program. This was a very young, inexperienced team last year, but that won’t be the case in 2013. With 16 returning starters, this is one of the more veteran bunches in all of Conference USA.

The offense will be much improved with (Injured-RS) Freshman Devin Powell, who brings size and speed at 6-3 / 213 taking over at quarterback, and the healthy return of two-time first-team All-Conference USA RB Orleans Darkwa. The defense can’t be any worse than it was last year with seven starters back. Tulane will make huge strides on both sides of the ball this season.

I believe the schedule is the biggest reason why Tulane will get back to a bowl eligibility. I have also pegged the Green Wave with victories over UTEP and North Texas at home, as well as two of three road games at Louisiana Tech, FAU and UTSA.

Statement From The Head Coach: (Matt Brown) - "I am happy to be here at Tulane, we have a great group of guys who are hungry and want to make this university proud. I really think that we have made good strides this off-season and for me just coming in last febuary I feel like we are gelling well. I am still getting to know the guys and building a relationship with them. I am excited to see what unfolds this season!"

Statement From The Team Captain: (Orleans Darkwa) RB#26 - "This is my last year here at Tulane. It has been an uphill battle thus far, but coach Brown is REAL! and he has a great knowledge of the game. We are going to go out and compete every game and hopefully play for a C-USA championship!"

• Like Like x 2