2013 Texas Tech Red Raiders

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by harriscw, Mar 16, 2010.

1. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

2013 Texas Tech Red Raiders

[​IMG]
    2013 TEXAS TECH RED RAIDERS

It will be an uphill battle for the Red Raiders in 2013. After a disappointing 4-8 record and the loss of a multitude of offensive stars, victories will not be easy to come by. But, the defense, led by 2012 Freshman of the Year, SS Tony Harris, look to step up and lead Texas Tech to their first bowl appearance under Coach Harris.

2013 Schedule
    5 wins - 7 losses
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    Week Opponent Final Score Result
    1 @ Rice 28-13 W
    2 UCLA (USER) 21-28 L
    3 @UTEP 21-7 W
    4 BYE
    5 Kansas 28-31 L
    6 @ Nebraska 31-24 W
    7 Kansas State 24-27 L
    8 @ Texas (USER) 10-48 L
    9 @ Baylor 24-28 L
    10 Texas A&M 31-21 W
    11 @ Oklahoma State 23-20 W
    12 Oklahoma (User) 21-30 L
    13 BYE
    14 @Michigan (User) 29-34 L
    15 BYE

2. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

[​IMG]
    DOEGE FIGHTS OFF A DEFENDER TO THROW A 60 YARD TD

WK 1
    Texas Tech 28
    Rice 13

Texas Tech opens the season with a solid road performance in Houston against Rice. The Red Raiders jump out to a 14-0 lead early in the second behind solid defensive play, and an efficient offense. The first half was capped off late in the second when Tech receiver Greg Griffin beat his man over the middle, and caught a strike from QB Seth Doege for a 60 yard TD.

Rice got back into the game in the second half by picking off Doege 3 times, and breaking a 74 yard TD run midway through the fourth, but the Red Raiders defense made the crucial plays on third and fourth down to seal the victory. Rice only managed to convert 3 third downs the entire game, and was o for 2 on fourth.

SS Tony Harris led the team in tackles with 8, and senior LB Riley Harvey added a pair of sacks in the win.

Next up, Texas Tech will host UCLA.

3. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

UCLA 28
    TTU 21

UCLA HB Dalton Hilliard was the story of this game, amassing 158 yards and two TD's on the ground, along with 78 yards and another TD through the air. The Bruins offense steadily marched down the field most of the day, while the Tech offense only managed two TD drives. Poor QB play continues to hurt the Red Raiders. A 100 yard interception return for a TD kept the game close, but Hilliard was too much for the Texas Tech defense which lost SS Tony Harris for six weeks due to a broken jaw on the first series.

Good game Rechem.

The Red Raiders go on the road to face the mighty Miners of UTEP next week.

4. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

TTU 21 UTEP 7

Week 3
    [​IMG]
    DOEGE CELEBRATES A 4TH QUARTER TD THAT PUTS THE GAME OUT OF REACH

The Red Raider defense was dominant on Saturday, holding the Miners offense to under 200 yards, and intercepting UTEP QB Trisby twice in the 4th quarter to seal the victory.

Seth Doege threw a TD pass on Tech's opening drive, but then, the offense fell asleep. Inaccuracy and dropped ballsKept the game close, and early in the third, UTEP tied the game on a pic6. The Red Raiders turned to the running game and reclaimed the lead midway through the 4th, and Doege connected on a 19 yard TD with receiver Greg Griffin late to put the game out of reach.

5. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Texas Tech 31 Nebraska 24

Coming off a devastating home loss to Kansas in the final seconds, the Red Raiders found themselves in Nebraska facing the powerful Cornhuskers. In heavy rain, Nebraska took the opening kick and easily marched down the field in 7 plays, and scored on a TD run by Shawn Coleman.

Texas Tech evened the score immediately with an 84 yard kick return for a TD by Greg Griffin.

The Cornhuskers quickly got into Tech territory, but were stopped on a failed 4th down attempt.

Midway through the second, Nebraska put together a good drive down to the Red Raider 3 yard line. The Tech D stood strong, and held the Cornhuskers to a FG.

Despite being down by only 3 at the half, Coach Harris’ team seems to be hopelessly outmatched at this point. Nebraska had 229 yards of offense, to Texas Tech’s 52 yards. Dropped balls played a big part in the first half, as the Red Raiders dropped to 3rd down passes, and two easy interceptions; one on the goalline.

To open the second half, Texas Tech continued to play tough defense, and the offense seemed to find their rhythm. With 2:12 to play in the third, backup HB Ronald Ward came up with what was the probably the play of the day. The 233lb junior took the handoff up the middle and ran over three defenders on his way to a 12 yard TD run. This statement play by the Tech offense gave them confidence not seen all season.

Start of the 4th: TTU 17 Nebraska 10
    Capitalizing on an interception by Nebraska QB Cody Green, the Red Raiders added a FG to take a seven point lead early in the fourth. Led by halfback Shawn Coleman, who had 136 yards and 2 TD’s, the Cornhuskers evened up the score at 17 with 3 minutes to play. On the ensuing kickoff, Greg Griffin made a nice spin move to the left sideline, and returned the ball to the Nebraska six yard line. Two plays later, Doege found a wide open Andre Rogers in the back of the end zone to put the Red Raiders back on top, 24 – 17.

The #5 team in the nation was not finished yet. In a spirited drive in which they converted two fourth downs, Green led his team down the field and tied the game with 34 seconds left to play.

With Lee Corso sitting in the dry press box, rooting for OT, the Red Raiders took their shot, sending receiver Brad Roberts on a fly down the center of the field. Nebraska came with a blitz, and Doege delivered a strike. Two Cornhuskers almost caught up to the not so fast freshman as he crossed the goal line with 2 seconds to play, giving the Red Raiders their biggest win in three season under Coach Harris.
    [​IMG]

Texas Tech 31
    Nebraska 28

6. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Whatta game, nice win. You are finally turning the corner this season.

7. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

I hope so!

8. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Cheese in Lubbock

I know I am breaking the rules here, but I am going to publicly expose my opponent this week for cheese. Below is the evidence.

Second play of the game, the K-State HB with 84 speed runs over two people before he gets out of the backfield, and runs for a 72 yard TD.

Tech drives down the field, and on third and 14, Doege misses a wide open receiver in the endzone by 5 yards.

[​IMG]

K-State, with their redshirt freshman QB, drives the length of the field and scores another TD.

Two plays later Doege is hit while trying to throw, the ball flutters in the air to a 78 overall MLB, who catches the ball, runs over an offensive lineman, and runs for a TD.

The ensuing drive, Doege throws a ballso far behing a wide open receiver in the end zone, that he actually slows down, and the corner catches up and swats the ball away. The corner was several yards behind the receiver. The next two plays, my offensive lineman whiff on their blocks, and Doege is sacked, forcing me to punt.

Before the half was over, a receiver on a fly got past the safety, and dropped an easy TD.

[​IMG]

The second half was more of the same, although I scored on a fumbled punt by the computer, the K-State backup HB scored by breaking more tackles and scoring from 40 yards out.

On the next drive, third and 18, my receiver was covered by a LB, who was beat by about 7-8 yards. No matter, he intercepted the ball that was thrown way short.

I scored late to keep it close and got the ball back with about 30 seconds left. Guess what, 4 straight passes overthrown or underthrown, by a lot.

[​IMG]

For the game, at least 30% of my passes missed the receiver completely, and countless more were dropped, while the K-State freshman QB, on the road, with a 54 awareness, completed 13 of 16 passes, and the 80 overall HB had 170 yards rushing.

I don’t mind losing, if anyone hasn’t noticed already, but this was insane.

It does make me feel better to gripe to the forum though.

9. Hova

Wow, I hate when the computer goes into god mode for absolutely no reason

10. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Me too. It was a similar scenario in my home game against Kansas earlier, but then I beat Nebraska on the road, now this!

I'm going to bed.

11. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

[​IMG]
    CAN YOU COUNT THE TECH DEFENDERS ON THE GROUND OR BEING BLOCKED?

The Texas Tech Red Raiders traveled to Baylor this week to face a rival who always gives them a tough game. In the early going, this one was no different. Baylor HB Glasco Martin took advantage of the pitiful Tech run defense, carrying the ball six times in the first half for 103 yards and to TD’s, but a solid offensive performance from the Red Raiders gave them a 3-point lead at the half.

Seth Doege connected with WR Andre Rogers early to give Tech a 7-0 lead, but two long TD runs by Baylor HB Martin ( one for 64 yard in which he broke 4 tackles & 28 yards) gave the Bears the lead at the end of the first.
    Tech was forced to punt to start the second, but an interception by LB Riley Harvey, turned into a 4 yard TD run by freshman HB John Rogers. The Red Raiders added a FG late, to take a 17-14 lead into the half.

The inaccurate QB/dropped ball bug kicked-in in the second half. Doege completed 3 passes the entire second half, after going 11 of 14 in the first. On the first drive, Doege missed a wide open receiver on a fly, being covered by a LB, and the defense dropped 4 interceptions in the third quarter alone. A pair of Doege passes to open receivers were picked off in the third, and a 1 yard run by their FB, gave Baylor a 21-17 lead to start the fourth.

Tech led an effective drive to end the third, and added a TD with a 1 yard run by their FB. An interception by FS Ryan Holmes killed the next Baylor drive, but all that did was fire-up Baylor. Three plays later, a Baylor defensive end ran around 5, yes I said 5, Tech blockers, and sacked the QB in less than 3 seconds, forcing a punt. Baylor quickly scoots down the field and Martin adds his third TD of the day, and Baylor reclaims the lead.

Fast forward to fourth and 20, after another amazingly quick sack by Baylor, Doege’s pass to a wide open receiver on a deep post is tipped at the line, the receiver comes back, makes the catch and is tackled two yards shy of the first down.

Baylor now has the ball, trying to run out the clock, with a third and 8. Martin catches a screen pass and runs over two Tech defenders for a first down.

Game Over. Baylor wins 28 -24

I sure hope my B rated team is the problem here. After losing to Kansas, Kansas State, and Baylor, I am starting to get depressed.(n)

12. Hova

Atleast they are all close losses which pry even feels worse right after you lose but It is a step in the right direction. Got 2 big CPU games coming up

13. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Week 10 Texas Tech 31 Texas A&M 21

[​IMG]
    FRESHMAN TE MARSHALL JOHNSON FINISHES OFF A 52 YARD TD CATCH

Coach Harris has had a rough week. After beating #5 Nebraska, CW has battled illness, and watched his team lose some heartbreakers, but the Red Raiders had a home game against the rival who pasted them last year, Texas A&M.

Texas Tech opened the scoring with a long FG on their first drive, and forced Texas A&M into a 25 yard FG attempt, which was missed, but on the Aggies next drive, HB Robert Foster broke a 42 yard TD run. Seth Doege quickly led the Red Raiders back down the field and hit WR Roger Russell on a drag route, which he took 27 yards for a score. After trading interceptions, Seth Doege hit HB John Rodgers in the flat, who then made a killer spin move and took off down the sideline for 41 yards, setting up a 1 yard TD run by FB Dustin Small.

At this point, the Red Raiders run defense was much improved over previous weeks. It took the Aggies HB two quarters to get to 100 yards, not just one!

Neither team could get it going early in the third, but on 2nd and 1, Doege executed a perfect playaction pass on a short out to the TE Marshall Johnson, who picked up a couple blocks, and rumbled 53 yards for a score on the play of the game. A&M ended the quarter by missing another short FG.

To start the fourth, Texas Tech was getting the revenge they craved. Up 24 to 7, Doege was leading yet another promising drive, when an errant pass was picked off inside the 15(I hit the wrong, damn button). A few plays later, Aggie QB D Slaughter hit a wide open S Johnson for a 52 yard TD. After a failed onside kick, Lou Jordan missed a 53 yard FG attempt, short. Three plays later, Slaughter hit Johnson again, wide open again, on the same route, on the same side of the field, for a 55 yard TD. Coach Harris was about to have a relapse, but in came the Tech ground game. Ripping off yards in chunks, the Red Raiders punched the ball into the endzone, and sent the hated Aggies home with a big, fat “Lâ€.

Texas Tech and Coach Harris feel better. By the way Hova, I thought they were ranked. Oh well, they are still an A overall.

14. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Week 11 Texas Tech 23 Oklahoma St 20

[​IMG]
    DOEGE SPOTS AN OPEN TE ON 4TH DOWN

BREAKING NEWS! Texas Tech held a HB, Oklahoma States Dexter Platt, a 236 lb monster, to under 100 yards in the first half. Fans of the Red Raiders probably cannot recall the last time that happened. Bad new is, he did have 91 yards on only 8 carries, including a 69 yard TD. Platt also caught a screen pass that he took 63 yards for another score. A missed extra point by the Cowboys gave them 13 at the half.

The Red Raiders had a pair of field goals, and a TD reception by reserve TE Kevin Hines. The key play on that drive being a 35 yard reception by an uncovered Justin Bowers, on third down, with 30 seconds remaining in the first half. Texas Tech only managed 25 yards on the ground in the first half.
    At halftime the score was tied at 13.

The second half was kept close only by some red zone woes from Texas Tech, and a pick 6 by Oklahoma State, otherwise, the Red Raiders defense held the Cowboys scoreless. A long drive by the Red Raiders to start the third quarter ended in a missed FG. A second drive inside the 10 resulted in 3, and a Seth Doege pass was intercepted at the 5 yard line, midway through the fourth.

With less than 3 minutes to play, the Cowboys clinging to a 20-16 lead, and the Oklahoma State faithful going bananas, Seth Doege set off on the game winning TD drive. On the drive, Doege, was twice faced with fourth and long, the second of which he found TE Marshall Johnson uncovered in the flat, who took it the distance, giving Tech a 23-20 lead, with 39 seconds to play.

Oklahoma State ended the game on a missed FG from around 45 yards out. For some reason my kicker was Player of the Game. I give my gameball to the Cowboys kicker, who’s missed FG and XP were the difference.

Two good teams, Oklahoma and Michigan, are now standing between the Red Raiders, and a bowl game.

15. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Texas Tech 21 Oklahoma 30

[​IMG]
    ROGERS AND TEXAS TECH KEEPING PACE EARLY WITH A TD RECEPTION

Ceewo summed up the game nicely, and time is limited for me this week, so I won't add to it. This loss puts the Red Raiders at 5-6, with one game remaining at Michigan. One thing is for sure, Texas Tech will need to play like they did against Nebraska, not like they did against Baylor, if they want a chance at hitting the .500 mark.

16. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Texas Tech 29 Michigan 34

After a scoreless first quarter, the well balanced and efficient Michigan offense, put up 17 points in the second quarter . The Wolverine D-line put Red Raider QB Seth Doege on his back four times in the first half, but thanks to a 75 yard TD pass to Roger Russell, Tech only trailed by ten at the half.

After a 71 yard KO return to open the third, Michigan QB Carpenter tossed a 16 yard TD pass the next play to go up 24-7, 13 seconds into the third. Carpenter added another TD at the end of the third, to put the Wolverines up 31 – 7.

[​IMG]

Doege opened the fourth with a 5 yard dash up the middle for a score, narrowing the lead to 17. Michigan countered with a time consuming drive, capped off by a FG. The next drive, Doege completed 5 of 6 passes, driving his team 78 yards in less than a minute, and hit a diving Ken Hines for another score. Michigan 34 Tech 24

[​IMG]

The Red Raiders managed to recover an onside kick, and three plays later, a 29 yard Doege pass, bounced off a Wolverine CB, and into the hand of Roger Russell in the end zone.

Tech was not so lucky to recover a second onside kick, and a 10 yard pass completion on fourth and four sealed the deal for Michigan, and sent the Red Raiders back to Lubbock empty handed, but with high hopes for next year.