2013 Toronto Blue Jays Preview

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by ryalaman, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

[​IMG]
    Lineup:
    Despite the big time fire sale that the Jays had this offseason, this offense still remains potent. The only real weak spots in this lineup come in CF with Austin Jackson and at SS with Jason Bartlett. While Bartlett is a well established turd at the plate (posting a .211/.264/.278 triple slash last year), Austin Jackson is still growing into his power. If he establishes that power this year, the Jays lineup can be very scary. Look for Eric Thames to lead the way for Toronto offensively, as he looks to build on his breakout 59.9 VORP year in 2012 at the plate. Another guy to keep an eye on is Brett Lawrie. He's still very young and he's got gobs of talent. He could very well be a breakout MVP candidate this year.

Starting rotation:
    Remember all those nice things I said about Toronto's lineup? The opposite is true about their rotation. It's simply horrible. Henderson Alvarez makes a nice 3/4 on a contender... unfortunately for Toronto, he's their ace this year. Ted Lilly is likely their #2 starter, and I don't think you can be optimistic about that 4.58 FIP from the NL West last season, especially with his transition to the AL East. Martin Perez will be a very good ML starter... in about 2 or 3 seasons. For now, he may be overmatched at this level. Drew Smyly wasn't as good as Toronto hoped after trading for him, but he's probably good to pencil in for about a 4.75 ERA. Their last starter will likely be Joe Saunders, and while his stuff isn't very good, he generates a lot of groundballs and with a solid infield defense behind him, he may be able to flirt with a sub 4.5 ERA.

Bullpen:
    Their best reliever is... Casey Janssen? Dan Wheeler? Point is, there isn't much talent here either. Don't be surprised if they start going with a closer by committee look here in the not to distant future. They may also be active in the free agent market to pick up a guy or 2 who doesn't completely suck in the bullpen.

Farm System:
    The great experiment. The Jays are spending $40M on player development to see how much that will really help their minor league system this year. Their minor league system is a fringy top 20 system with a bunch of guys in the 50-100 range, but very few guys who you can expect to be all-stars on a consistent basis.

Manager:
    Worst in the league. I'm not convinced sonn knows what baseball is.

Outlook:
    Get ready for some football scores. This team will score a boatload of runs and give up just as many. Something in the neighborhood of 75 wins seems about right, with some room for upward growth if their young pitchers can prove they belong this year.

• Like Like x 3
  2. sonn

sonn Walk On

Nice work Ryal. I'll try to be equally flattering with my preview. :p

3. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Comedy gold.