1. If you haven't seen already, TSO is now powered by Discord! This means that we will eventually be disbanding the embedded chat on the main forum page. Head to this page to learn more on how to integrate your TSO account with discord! https://traditionsportsonline.com/wiki/discord-integration/

2014 Amateur Draft Review - Picks 1-5

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Sharkman37, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

draftlogo_display_image.jpg

Welcome Sportsfans.... Bob Frapples here and welcome to the 2014 Dugout Amateur Draft Review. This draft falls somewhere in-between the treasure trove draft of 2012 and the absolutely weak-sauce draft of 2013. There are some good, but flawed players. No definative Bryce Harper or A-Rod here but a lot of guys that can carve out above average to great careers. So without further ado, the Astros, for the third year in a row, but the first time actually making the pick, are on the clock: (players name link to their pages)

Astros.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #1 - Antonio Pajarillo - CF
    • Pros - Great footspeed and defense with plus arm. He is incredibly smart, hard working, and will do all of what is required to win. He has a great eye and can get the barrel around on the ball with good success.
    • Cons - Not as developed as you would think for his age. Washed out of OCS
    • Notes - Pajarillo is a good to great pick but I question whether Martinex or Vignal would have been a better pick, as both project as better Major Leaguers. There aren't any holes in Pajarillo's game but you want your top pick to be a leader along with the other stuff and in theat respect, he is a bit of a shrinking violet. That said, it was nice to see the Astros actually make a the pick this year instead of trading it off.
    • Grade - B+

WhiteSox.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #2 - Augusto Martinez - SP
    • Pros - Projectable body with great conmand and four solid pitches. Lefty with a incredible hose that projects as an ace.
    • Cons - High School pitcher that needs to work at his stamina and his craft. Gets lackadasical at times and enjoys racing dirt bikes on the side. Wonder about his head
    • Notes - Best high school pitcher in the draft who has a questionable work ethic and loves the bling. If he works hard, he can be an ace. Up to the ChiSox to coax the talent out of him.
    • Grade - A-

Rockies.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #3 - Barry Boyd - 1B
    • Pros - Smart and hard working lefty that has a majestic and powerful swing. Good gapper and doesn't embarass himself on the bases.
    • Cons - Is young and impressionable. Has a long way to go. The power is more of a projection more then anything. Is a DH that will really need to work on his defense on a National League squad. Nephew of 'Oil Can'.
    • Notes - I just don't get this pick. Boyd is nice but more nice in the middle part of the draft. I feel like the Rockies wanted power and overdrafted without thinking of the rest of his game.
    • Grade - B-

Nationals.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #4 - Marcos Soto - OF
    • Pros - Hard worker with good footspeed that has a knack for putting the barrel on the ball. Looks to be a quick mover at an advanced age
    • Cons - Dumb as a box of rocks and has a hard time translating inate ability to baseball smarts.
    • Notes - Marcos has great foot speed but no smarts on the base paths. He guesses a lot in the outfield which mitigates his natural and just doesn't have a fundamental understanding of the game. This feels like a huge reach at this point in the draft. Sorry Noles
    • Grade - C

BlueJays.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #5 - Romain Vignal - OF
    • Pros - Makes great contact with power both to the alleys and over the fence. Smart, loyal, and a great leader that team mates gravitate to. Killer arm.
    • Cons - Tends to coast from time to time and can get sloppy in his fielding
    • Notes - And the draft has finally started. College senior projects to RF as a future Raul Mondesi type hitter. I think he is far enough along and think his leadrship and smarts will make him realize he can't coast on his pure talent. I love his mix of power and contact and think he will grow as he gets older. Very projectable.
    • Grade - A
    I was going to get to the top 10 but a thunderstorm is here and the power is flickering. Will put more up later. Hope you all enjoy.

• Like Like x 4
  2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Awesome job with this man! Great review. Totally agree with the Soto pick.

3. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Fantastic work Matt. Pajirillio's eye and defense made him the #1 for me, as evident by 10 walks in his first week of pro ball. Great analysis.

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

lol, Marus Soto

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

So be it.. :rolleyes:

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

It's alright Noles, I messed up my pick too and let the team behind me get the better player.

7. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

concur - my first year I took Devon Marrero (oops) and last year I took Randy Walbourne who has now died to a 1 1/2 star. ouch

8. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

And that's why we play (sim) the game...

9. goldenglove2

goldenglove2 Walk On

I actually like Soto a good deal, but Vignal is definitely the better player IMO. I would take both over Barry Boyd though.

10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Actually it was the guy right after me that the Pirates took, the guy I wanted is the short stop the Red Sox picked up.

11. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

I like Soto too, just not at #4