2014 Amateur Draft Review - Picks 18 - 25

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Sharkman37, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Hey fellas. I am almost there. I took a different tact this time then just doing pluses and minuses. Please let me know which way you like best. I find it easier to write this way but am open to hearing from the readers. Enjoy and I will have the final piece of rd 1 up hopefully this weekend. Stay tuned to see how one of the final picks has something in common with Fat Bastard from Austin Powers fame...

boston_red_sox.png
    1st rd - Pick #18 - Jose Perez - SS
    • Quick Snapshot Based on Flimsy Evidence - Snappy 5-star SS who is young and full of zest for the game. Has all the tools and make-up to make it big as a 4-tool SS. Questionable intelligence and work ethic and no power make him Cal Ripken light but a great gamble at this point in the draft
    • Bust-o-meter - Medium - He has a long way to go but minimal warning signs.
    • Grade - A

san_francisco_giants.png
    1st rd - Pick #19 - Alexander Drouet - SS

• Quick Snapshot Based on Flimsy Evidence - Oui, Oui. The "French Connection" as his team mates and former Little League World Series buddies call him, Drouet is an advanced bat with solid defensive skills. Slow on the bases for his position but good instinct. I think his bat has great power potential but will become unrealized based on low contact and control of the K-Zone. non Non. That is all
    • Bust-o-Meter - High. Come on.. He is French...
    • Grade - B

new_york_yankees.png
    1st rd - Pick #20 - Gabe Fernandez - SP

• Quick Snapshot Based on Flimsy Evidence - Decent move and control hurler that can spike 90. Below average fastball but does ok on secondary pitches. Has a good make-up for a kid his age but Yankees need to give him the time to mature.
    • Bust-o-Meter - Very High (He is a high school starter...)
    • Grade - C
    los_angeles_dodgers.png
    1st rd - Pick #21 - Ken Sprell - 2B
    • Quick Snapshot Based on Flimsy Evidence - Young kid with poor make-up. Great contact + gap control and plays an above average 2B. Should have went to college but took the Dodgers millions. Great on the basepaths but not in the lockeroom. Bit of a dick
    • Bust-o-Meter - Above average. Bit of a diva
    • Grade - B-
    atlanta_braves.png
    1st rd - Pick #22 - Tom Hill - 3B

• Quick Snapshot Based on Flimsy Evidence - Follows Timpe's philosophy of draft lower potential but close to ready impact bats. Projects to above average on all hitting categories, make-up, and play style. College bat that is almost a plug and play guy and has excellent defense at the hot corner. Should be on Smooth's FA wish list in a few years.
    • Bust-o-Meter - Very Low. Like I said, plug and play.
    • Grade - A
    st_louis_cardinals.png
    1st rd - Pick #23 - Max York - CF

• Quick Snapshot Based on Flimsy Evidence - ummm.. The best I can say is Max York is as green as grass. Darkwing better hope his scouts and development team are right. He is a 5-tool guy but is only that in potential only. This is definately a long term pick.
    • Bust-o-Meter - Very High
    • Grade - B-
    kansas_city_royals.png
    1st rd - Pick #24 - Yoshimi Tanaka - RF

Quick Snapshot Based on Flimsy Evidence - Spent his childhood as a Japanese B- Ninja Movie kid stuntkid. Played baseball on the side but it is more of a hobby then a passion. Shows great contact and gap skills but has horrible make-up. Kid needs to get his head in the game quick or the Royals will cut bait fast making him the 21st century Jackie Chan.
    Bust-o-Meter - Mt Vesuvius Erupting
    Grade - D

seattle_mariners.png
    1st rd - Pick #25 - Tom McFetridge - 3B

Quick Snapshot Based on Flimsy Evidence - Trailer trash ass clown who makes Barry Bonds look like Mother Theresa. College bat with average foot speed but a well trained hitter across the board who is close to being there. Love his defense and can be a killer weapon with his arm both at third and in RF where he is both well-trained This guy make-up is the worse I have ever seen but I have a sick twisted feeling that Dylema is going to strike gold again.
    Bust-o-Meter - Medium well but I think the Mariner dice roll is going to come up sixes.
    Grade - B+

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

This is one of the most offensive things you've ever said. Cal put up a .170 ISO for his career! He hit 431 HRs! He was literally the single best SS in the history of the game!

3. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

I think you might be reading that wrong Raj. What I mean is he is no Cal Ripken in the power department. It is a compliment to RIpken as he was one of the first power stick SS's

4. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I probably did. I just instinctively get upset when Cal gets compared to anyone. Unless that person is Jesus himself... or Manny Machado.

5. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Drouet has 13 HR in 222 ABs in S-A. His SLG is .455 at a middle infield position, so I'm encouraged so far.

6. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Agreed, agreed. I didn't have access at work to see how he is doing. I liked him in pre-draft lookings. Just when I reviewed him, he looked to have a little Randy Walbourne disease. That and he is French and drinks Perriet Minerial Water and liks Sasha Baron Cohan. oui oui. :eek:

• Like Like x 1