2014 Amateur Draft Review - Picks 6 - 10

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Sharkman37, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

And the rain has subsided and there are rainbows and bunnies which mean I can turn the computer back on. And with that, I can jump into my alter-ego, Bob Frapples, and jam out some more draft reviews.

Athletics.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #6 - Roberto Gabriel - SP
    • Pros - Power armed righty with 3++ pitches, great leader, team captain that has crisp movements on all his off speed pitches. Spots his fastball with great command.
    • Cons - Builds model airplanes in his spare time and doesn't work on his game as hard as you would want someone to.
    • Notes - This guy reminds me of the pitcher-version of Donald Walker two drafts ago. He is very advanced where his work ethic won't be a hinderance, until later in his career. I like his 3 quality pitches and his command. His changeup has brutal late movement that is a killer on right handed hitters. Played against top competition in the Pac 10 and excelled.
    • Grade - A
    Phillies.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #7 - Millard Risinger - C
    • Pros - Super smart receiver that works hard and can be a leader behind the dish. Has great contact and works the count. Does what it takes to win and is solid in his receiving skills.
    • Cons - His arm is average and he still has a lot of maturing to do. Is slow on the base paths and the Phillies are crossing their fingers they can leave him behind the plate.
    • Notes - My favorite pick so far in the draft. This is the highest rated catcher to come out in three years and he falls to seven. His make-up is perfect and he just needs time to develop. I smell multiple All Star games and a potential to make the HOF.
    • Grade - A+
    Cubs.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #8 - Dan Davis - 3B
    • Pros - Above average power, especially to the gaps and makes the pitcher pay if he has poor command. A terror on the basepaths and a superior defender at multiple infield positions
    • Cons - His rookie teammates already call him 'Gramps'. Not much else to dislike other then he plays for the Cubs.
    • Notes - The one red flag I see is he has a bit of Devon Marrero disease, ie he is a late bloomer and is not as advanced in actuals/potentials for such an advanced age. The Cubs are hoping his great work ehtic, leadership, and desire to win will allow him to push his development and meet his lofty expectations. Good gamble that it will happen. Nice pick Greg.
    • Grade - A
    Padres.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #9 - Victor Roniero - SP
    • Pros - Only 18 and well on his way to be developed. Has great movement on his offerings and projects to have solid command
    • Cons - His fastball can't break 88 MPH and his stuff is straight down the pipe. His pitches are average and they are all around the same speed. Acts like he doesn't want to be there.
    • Notes - Ugh. I really don't like this pick at all. All of his pitches are average to slightly above average. His makeup is poor and Victor is more interested in being in a tenor for the San Diego Choir then he is in being a great ball player. There were so many other good picks on the board and I really feel this pick was made with blinders on.
    • Grade - D
    Orioles.jpg
    1st rd - Pick #10 - Jamie Valencia - RF
    • Pros - Top of the order guy with good contact and solid power potential. Covers a lot of ground in the outfield and will take the extra base. Gets good jumps when stealing. Always wants to win.
    • Cons - Lazy guy that dogs it in the outfield and always tries to hit it out. No doubles power and can't work the count. Isn't the best drawing a walk. Played against weak competition. Will he rise to the challenge?
    • Notes - And Raj didn't get Hegwood'd!! Good gamble at this point in the draft on a guy that plays all the outfield positions and cover a ton of ground. Is very lazy both offensively and defensivly which leads to a lot of errors and 2 pitch AB's. Needs to learn how to work the count and to stop always swinging for the fences. Bad temper when he loses and sometimes loses control. Boom or bust type of guy who I think will be solid.
    • Grade - B+

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

3. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Yeah he had way to many positives to take and not pick him. I decided he age wasnt a factor he had to many positives to look away from.

4. goldenglove2

goldenglove2 Walk On

Roniero will be a solid pitcher. And I really like the Cubs pick - looks like a solid player.

5. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

I like Valencia a lot, very toolsey guy. Id give him at least an A.