2014 Kansas Jayhawks preview

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Michael Woodward, Sep 25, 2011.

?

What will Kansas' record be this season?

1. 12-0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 11-1

66.7%
  3. 10-2

33.3%
  4. 9-3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 8-4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

After what is undoubtedly Kansas' most successful year of all time, Kansas fans are sure to be giddy with excitement about what 2014 Kansas team has to offer. Kansas coach, however, has moved to quickly make his team forget about 2013 by changing his name. Can they repeat or is this a rebuilding year?

On Offense

Kansas loses valuable talent and experience on offense from last year's undefeated squad. QB Jordan Webb and leading rusher James "Sims sim sala bim" Sims, plus veteran wide out and large target Chris Omigie have all graduated along with most of the Jayhawk offensive line. A QB battle has ensued in Webb's absence. Keith Lee appeared to be the starter coming into the year but a loop hole in NCAA rules forced him to transfer to in-conference foe Oklahoma. That leaves a tight battle between JR Brock Berglund and RS FR Joey Charles. Berglund is a big player with a good arm but iffy accuracy. Charles is slightly more mobile and can drop a BB on a fly from 40 yards but lacks arm strength. After the preseason, Charles appears to have won the job. We'll see if he will hold onto that job or if the more experienced Berglund will push past him in the depth chart.

RS SR Brandon Bourbon replaces James Sims in the backfield without missing a beat. Darrian Miller will spell Bourbon and return kicks. The Jayhawks will have no weaknesses in the running game permitted the inexperienced line holds up.

KeJuan Odemwingie leads a big and quick receiving corp. Odemwingie had a very successful freshman campaign and looks to be a huge end zone threat with his 6'5" frame.

View attachment 4169
    Kansas' Memorial Stadium will surely be rocking come game day this season.

On Defense

The nations leader in sacks (15.5), Julius Green returns for his senior season. The 6'7", 278lbs defensive tackle will look to prove a nightmare for quarterbacks in the big XII once again. Dennis Thomas also returns from a very successful freshman campaign. When asked about how he thinks his sophomore campaign will go, Dennis said "I am still upset I was overlooked for the freshman of the year award as I felt my 9 ints and National Championship was enough. I clearly have some doubters to win over and that's what i will do." Hopefully the confident young man can live up to that promise. Junior Scott Lowe returns to start for his 3rd season in a row and will look to pound running backs into the turf coming from his linebackers spot. If the Jayhawks have a weakness, it will definitely be in their secondary as their corners are young and inexperienced and they start a true freshman in Trey Johnson at free safety.

2014 Prediction

While the Jayhawks have plenty of talent and momentum returning from their National Championship year, their inexperience in key positions will be hard to compensate for. With games against two-time National Champion Virginia, Big Ten runners-up Michigan State, and Big 12 rival Baylor, Kansas will have some tough tests. They may not only fail to repeat the National Championship but may fail to repeat their conference championship. My prediction - 10-2

• Like Like x 2