2014 MLS Fantasy League

Discussion in 'Tradition Soccer' started by RedAL925, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

MLS Fantasy is back...sign up today! http://fantasy.mlssoccer.com/my-leagues/189/join/?autojoin-code=1054-189

LEAGUE CODE: 1054-189

PRO TIP: use the auto complete button to quickly fill your team and join the league, then tinker until the deadline.

bbrech0610 BESHIKTAS Broncos218 dooz MiaFLSurf juanchoCT14 redwings8831 Selvy9 shiftee vipermansa Zikry BigSmooth33 danwin Frenchie1916 Friz Geneseo98 Go Devils gutnedawg krtgolfing pitt4life21 UcanHateMeNow

WingedHelmet HAL9100 IJGator CxMacx10 Blaza rschwep guayo10 Lou grundlebug

electrickeeper Kasper - spread the word to your XBox crew

I realize not all of you are MLS-saavy, but there's no better way to learn the league...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. RedAL925

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...tom-redesign-2014-new-features-realistic-game

Make no mistake, 2014 is going to be a whole new ballgame in Major League soccer. Similarly, MLS Fantasy Manager is brand new for 2014 with the release of a redesigned game for the upcoming 2014 season.

In collaboration with ISM games – manufacturers of the official MLS fantasy game since 2011 – we've made this year's gaming experience more dynamic. Want to imitate your favorite MLS team's manager each matchday? Now is your chance!

Fantasy Soccer Manager is all about player/team management, and this year it just got a lot more real. No more automatic substitutions, no vice captains or caparoos and no freebies. If you want to lead your team to glory this season, you'll have to earn it!

[​IMG]
    GAMEPLAY
    This year managers have $120 million to spend on 18 players and up to four players can be selected from a single MLS club. Each team must include:

• 2 Goalkeepers
    • 6 Defenders
    • 6 Midfielders
    • 4 Forwards
    The initial value of your team may not exceed $120 million. Complete list of player values.

SCORING
    The scoring structure is similar to 2013 except for a few key changes:

• Players will no longer be penalized for big chances missed
    • Players who are credited with a second assist will receive three points (same as a regular assist)
    • Players will receive two points for every penalty earned – This does not include handballs in the box and is not dependent on converting the ensuing penalty
    • Players will earn one point for every own-goal assist – If a player is the last to touch the ball before the opposition concedes an own-goal, the player will be credited with one additional point
    [​IMG]
    SUBSTITUTIONS
    There are no automatic substitutions or vice captains this season. Lineups will not lock, only players will.

Last season lineups locked 15 minutes before the first game of the round and managers could not make substitutions until the following day. In 2014, managers will have the freedom to swap players in and out of their lineups at any point throughout the round as long as those players have not yet played and their team's match has not started. A player is locked in the lineup 15 minutes before the start of that team's match.

This freedom will allow you to be more involved in each matchup until the moment it takes place. It will test your true skills as a manager.

The fantasy experts will have your back, but the final decision will be up to you.

SCHEDULE/PLAYOFFS
    The MLS Fantasy Manager season will be 33 rounds and will end with the final game of the regular season (Sporting KC vs New York Red Bulls on October 26). Fantasy will not coincide with the playoffs like it did in 2013, meaning your roster won't be winnowed down at the most important time of the fantasy year.

[​IMG]
    RESEARCH, ADVICE, & DISCUSSION
    The new home screen features a revamped navigation bar with dropdown options. The "Research" and "Advice" tabs will give you all the tools you need to make well-informed decisions while managing your team throughout the week.

The "Chatter" section is a new addition as well. There you'll be able to join the discussion with fellow fantasy players all over the world. Communicate with your fellow managers throughout the week as you prepare your lineup, making transfers, follow the matches and, of course, talk trash.

PRIZES
    Grand Prize: $1,000 gift card, Panasonic LED HDTV, Xbox One, and one copy of FIFA 15 for Xbox One. Read the complete list of prizes.

For all you managers out there, the wait is over. Spend the next few weeks building your team and creating/joining custom leagues. March 8 will be here before you know it!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

some interesting changes there. i think i'll stick to EPL... i wish soccer had more of a H2H fantasy tho like with NFL as opposed to salary cap-type structure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RedAL925

Booo...

5. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    As long as Red lives up to his promise of prizes for us then it's worth taking a shot (y)

6. RedAL925

7. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I was close last year! And that was after a shitty start. I think I actually know what the hell I'm doing this time around.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    well, i'm in. Haven't followed the MLS in years...actually would like to and hopefully this will make me do it this year...but it sure doesn't help me know what I'm doing right now...

• Like Like x 1
  9. RedAL925

Coming soon... I'll help you build your team for success (but I'm not giving away all my secrets)

10. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

I would like to get in too. Is it too late?

11. RedAL925

Not too late...season starts in early March

12. RedAL925

It's a 6-man league so far, I know we were around that number last season

13. RedAL925

14. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

• Like Like x 1
  15. RedAL925

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  16. danwin

danwin Walk On

Doesn't really matter to me. It is MLS so head to head is more fitting but classic shows a players consistency.

17. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    i would say classic. head to head works better when everyone has a unique team and each player can only be on one team. with the salary cap/players on multiple team method i'd say classic is preferable

• Like Like x 2
  18. RedAL925

This is pretty much what I was going to post:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...true-strategies-success-you-navigate-2014-sea

Round 1 deadline (15 minutes before kick off of the first match – March 8 at 2:45 pm ET).

Pick with your head, not your heart
    A common mistake in fantasy is to select players from your favorite team. To be successful, you must become more pragmatic and value of potential across the board. Some rounds, this may mean including a player from your club's rival.

That's not to say don't include players from your own club, because if the matchup is favorable, your reasoning is valid. But reason is the key. Successful fantasy players don't let their passion for their club trump their passion for their fantasy team. Tough, no doubt, but necessary.

Increase your bankroll with wise transfers
    Another crucial element to success is to increase you bankroll by making transfers at the right time. Player values will increase or decrease based on the popularity of the player in the transfer market. If you sell a player for a higher price than you paid, then a sell-on fee of 50 percent (rounded up to the nearest 0.1 million) will be applied on the profits.

For example, if you buy a player for 4.2 million and transfer the player when their value is 4.6 million, you will receive 4.4 million, earning a tidy profit. It may not seem like a lot, but it adds up. If you find a "diamond in the rough" and buy him before the masses do, you are setting yourself up for a nice return if you choose to sell him someday. In the end, that could mean a bigger budget to bring in big-time stars.

Take advantage of your digital resources
    It's Wednesday night and you've just left the office. Suddenly, it hits you: There are midweek games and the transfer deadline is less than an hour away! On top of that, you have two starters who were called up for international duty still in your starting XI.

Not to worry. You can fix up your team on a laptop, tablet or mobile device. While I don't encourage "transferring and driving," you can easily make these changes from your iPhone, Android or other mobile devices by going to ‪m.fantasy.mlssoccer.com . (Hint: Bookmark the link for easy access.)

*Make sure to stay up to date on the latest injuries, international call-ups and the Disciplinary Report to see which players will be out for the upcoming round.

Consume as much MLS as possible
    The best way to familiarize yourself with who's hot and who's not is to digest as much MLS as possible. Obviously, that means watching the games, either on TV or through a MLS LIVE subscription.

Online, check MLSsoccer.com for bits of info such as injuries, international call-ups and disciplinary action. But also check out ESPNFC, NBC's ProSoccerTalk, SB Nation, and Soccer By Ives for good info about the league. Listen to podcasts, including MLSsoccer.com's March to the Match and ExtraTime Radio, NASN's Best Soccer Show, and ESPN's Big Head, Red Head.

Embrace Twitter. Engaging in social media can prove fruitful if you follow the right sources.@MLS and even MLS players will fill your Twitter feed with useful info. Feel free to hit us up for advice anytime at @MLSFantasy.

Lastly, watching games is the ultimate way to keep up with your fantasy players. Just as a good team goes out and scouts their competition, you are essentially doing the same thing. Watching matches will lead to more success in MLS Fantasy. And hey, it's fun!

Stay the course
    Considering the FSM game runs from March to October, the season can – and will – become grueling at times for fantasy owners and players alike. For eight months out of the year, you will experience the ups and downs of being a gaffer.

At times, you'll be pleased with your results and will be rewarded by seeing your fantasy team move up the standings. But there will be some bumps in the road along the way. Would your manager abandon his team in the middle of a campaign? No chance, so try not to get discouraged and stay the course if your form isn't always sterling. There's always next week!

The prizes should help motivate you a little as well, and remember to join and create leagues to compete against your friends and fellow supporters.

19. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

I'm in.

20. Geneseo98

Geneseo98 Walk On

21. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

22. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

By the way, RedAL925 how has Patrick Mullins looked so far this preseason? He was one player I was really excited to see this year. Unfortunately the Revs have so much attacking talent it might be hard for him to break through.

23. RedAL925

Well Charlie Davies has been sidelined so far this preseason, and Saer Sene is sill recovering from his leg break, so Mullins could get a shot on the right. He's looked pretty good there so far, and I expect him to start the season there

24. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I slotted him onto my team in case. I feel like if he gets the chance he really could break through. A hell of a lot better than the Crew's 1st rounder. Our 3rd round guy is probably our best rookie.

25. RedAL925

Sweat? I have Mullins on my bench

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.