2014 Recruiting Discussion

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Kapono, May 6, 2012.

1. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

USC hits the recruiting trail hard in week 1 and sign 5 players, mostly solidifying their defensive secondary.

:5stars: WR Justin Dobzinski- Very good player who will see time as a #4 or #5 receiver immediately. He has A- speed and C catching which is very high for an incoming recruit.

:4stars:T Steven White- 309 pounds and a good pass blocker. Not great for a 4-star but he'll see time by his 3rd season.

:4stars:SS Tim Bain- A- speed and A acceleration who can hit hard. He has OK cover skills but adds even more speed to a fast defensive backfield.

:4stars:CB Drew Daily- Has great intangibles with decent speed (A-, B acc.) He's a very good player and can should be a shutdown corner.

:4stars:CB Zack Monroe- Very fast corner (A,A-) with decent cover skills. He and daily will be a deadly combination with Bain at safety in a few years.

Monroe and Daily might not be playing for a couple seasons despite being some of the best corners in the nation. USC now has 3 true freshmen corners that are 78 overall so it's not going to be easy for any of these 5 players to lock down a starting spot.

2. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

:mad: Dislike button!!!

3. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Illinois also fills one of their few scholarships early, signing the 11th ranked tackle in the country. The Illini have had problems on their o-line throughout my tenure there, so he was a much needed acquisition. Could very well be the cornerstone of the line in the future.

4. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

How many 5* players did you sign last season? Aren't you at the limit yet?

5. Wyrmreaver

Cheez

I have 10 players on my current roster with OVR ratings below 60..... two are in the mid-40s.... can I oversign and cut some/all of those guys?

6. Cheez

underclassmen - yes, provided that they arent your recruits (im assuming that if you had recruited them they would be above that)
    upperclassmen - no (they will be gone before long)

7. Wyrmreaver

one I signed.... 1 is a walk on I got saddled with for not signing enough LBs and 8 are FR(RS) or SO that were here when I arrived

8. Cheez

How about this - we break it up over two seasons. say oversign by 5 this year and 4 next?

If you signed a guy - keep them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wyrmreaver

Sounds fair...... I have 12 seniors and being able to sign 17 gives me plenty of breathing room

10. Cheez

Sounds good bro.

11. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

I only signed 1 last season and I think I have 3 5-star's left on my board.

12. Wyrmreaver

Yeah.... but i want some too! Quit hoggin all the WRs :)

13. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Yeah you and Cheez need those top WR's for all the passing you do :rolleyes:

14. Cheez

wait til you see my passing numbers from my game today vs. MSU.

Oy.

15. Wyrmreaver

Maybe if i had some wideouts they could throw each other the ball! Lord knows my qb cant do it

16. Cheez

Your old school is doing just fine - despite running Air Force's playbook.... :mad:

17. Wyrmreaver

I may have left the cupboard full.....

18. Cheez

The :mad: was for leaving them with Air Force's playbook, not for what you did with them while you were there (besides duck me ;) )

19. Wyrmreaver

Whats wrong with the AF playbook

20. Cheez

in itself, nothing. it's a good playbook for option teams.

However, Michigan State was built to be more of a pro-style offense. So it's a little awkward having them use it.

21. Wyrmreaver

I recruited running qbs....

22. Wyrmreaver

Trolling their roster...... the running QB is hurt, you played against the backup :p The 3rd and 4th string are also runners.... I would have had the guy you played on the bench. The FB I recruited to be the B-back has like 84 speed and 91 acceleration and the top 2 HBs (one I recruited) are both small-ish with speed, perfect for the flex..... In other words, I had them well transitioned towards the option/flex with 2 full recruiting classes

23. Cheez

dude was slow as hell.

this explains why.

24. Cheez

In the past couple of weeks, Illinois has had a couple significant recruits sign on to play for Coach Cheez

:4stars:#12 QB Howard Dailey - Basically a pocket passer with a nice arm. Going to have to work on accuracy, but he could potentially start in 2-3 years.

:3stars:#28 DT Robert Kent - Need signing. He's a little undersized, but he is a solid tackler and could help on run defense.

:4stars:#11 MLB Kevin Glover - Another need filled. Glover has good speed, so he can get outside to help on run defense as well. Watch out when Glover tackles - he can really lay the lumber down.

:4stars:#19 DE Will Moore - The last of the Illinois needs is filled, but this was not just a signing based on lack of depth. Moore has the skills to do everything asked of a DE, and is a decent block shedder making him an effective pass rusher.

25. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

The Boilermakers have inked their first four commitments of the season the last few weeks:

Jay Cohen
    WR (#15) :4stars:
    Jay is not fast, but has good hands and polished route running skills. His ability to get off the press is also behind his years. He should fit in perfectly with the Purdue offense.

Travis Pope
    CB (#7) :4stars:
    Travis has great speed and acceleration to go along with good coverage skills. He will be the next great corner for the Boilermakers

Micah Medley
    G (#13) :4stars:
    Micah is a technician. He has good footwork and good strength to go along with his big frame. He will likely redshirt his first year, but should be a starter for four years.

Mark McIntosh
    G (#24) :3stars:
    Despite the commitment of Micah, Mark could also see time early in his career. He is solid in both run and pass blocking and also has good strength and a big frame. At the worst, he will provide excellent depth.

Purdue also lost out on a couple of :4stars: prospects (FS, QB) who would have been tremendous pick-ups. The loss to Ohio State was likely the culprit :(