2014 Recruiting Trail

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The List - Week Seven
    Bonus Guys.PNG

Green = Signed
    Yellow = New Leader

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

As you can see, it becomes very difficult to bag more than a single five star guy, and getting an eighth, ninth, or a tenth four star gets pretty tough as well. This should give us some separation in the classes, and it should also force us to really look over who we decide to go after.

3. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

Any chance at some point we could get the guys names in the table? I think it may be easier to know who they are then haha

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Wow. The lack of sleep is getting to me. It's fixed now.

5. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Arch, question: How is the "bonus list" computed? In other words, what's the criteria?

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's done by rank. Where they fall on the list is random, so I just grab the top 3, then every tenth guy.

Now, the dynasty website gets the numbers wrong, so the rank won't show up in the same way if you look online. I think the website already has the off-season guys factored in or something. I'm not sure, but I know the numbers don't match the list I downloaded, or the list in the dynasty itself.

So, it's numbers 1, 2, and 3, then number 10, 20, 30, 40, ... and so on, until the fours become threes, which, this year, happened in the mid 260s. Look at the OVR column and you'll see the pattern.

I'm thinking we'll make all off-season guys bonus recruits, to make off-season recruiting a bigger part of the game, but we haven't talked about that yet.

7. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

I think the website has the numbers off by one. There is no number ranked recruit online. They start at #2.

For the offseason. How are we going to handle that? Are all the new dudes going to be bonus material?

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think so. They're easy to spot. No offers & everyone about even in interest. They stand out, so they're easy to add. Since the entire list right now is only 29 guys, and we won't get all of those guys, I think an open off-season might be the thing.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

[​IMG]

The Baby Buckeye Report - Week 1 Edition

ES.PNG

The Bucks struck early in 2014, signing one of the top athletes in this year's class in the very first week of the season. Ohio native Eric Scott will likely choose between a spot in the secondary, or perhaps one in the receiving corps. Coach seems to be leaning toward making him a receiver, since the impending graduation of top pass catchers Corey Brown and James Louis will surely leave a gap, and a chance to compete for a starting job. No single skill stands out for Scott - he's not a speedster, though he is quick (4.46 in the 40). He's a good route runner, has good hands, and can catch in traffic. No single skill stands out, but the combination of really good skills should make him an impact guys early in his career.

MC.PNG
    The signing of Micheal Cook was kind of a matter of circumstance. With rs-soph Anthony McDonald set to take over for Javon Wade at the end of this season, it was a bit early to go looking for the next great Buckeye quarterback, but with only 2 QBs on the roster for next year, Coach Griffin needed another guy. With the new 1-7-70 restrictions leveled by the NCAA, coaches must now direct their scholarship offers strategically according to need, and right now, the Buckeyes need a backup, a third man on the depth chart. Cook has agreed to be that, but has also vowed to one day challenge for a starting job. He's got a long road, but if the arm comes along, he just might do it someday.
    The List - 2 out of 15 signed
    The List.PNG
    66 players on the roster + 11 players graduating = 15 scholarships available.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Quick Week One Update:

The board has been updated. Tennessee and BYU signed bonus recruits this week, so we're down to 27 left on the list.

Get to work, fellas.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Quick Week Two Update:

The board has been updated again. No major movement, but some interesting stuff going on near the bottom of the list, with Cincinnati making a move for an Ohio kid, and BYU moving into the #1 spot for yet another big recruit. They signed one, and are now #1 on three more. That's pretty impressive.

12. bdub

bdub Walk On

Must be alot of Mormon recruits coming out of high school this year.

13. justadude

justadude Walk On

No, they just don't have girlfriends.

14. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I have 10 recruits 4 star or above with me at number 1...the big visit week is week 4....look for some bonus recruits to go off the board.

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm in the top 3 of 3 five star bonus guys. I'm not really closing the gap, but the right visit in the right week could do big things for me.

I'm almost completely closed out of four star bonus guys. The guys listed just don't have any interest in me. If I add an extra five-star, and can go 2-7-6 with my fifteen, I'll be happy. I should do that at the least, and with a good roll of the dice, I could go 3-7-5, or even 4-7-4, which would be huge. Don't think I'll get there, though, but I'm not out of the running.

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I have 11 spots so I' m looking at 1_9_1 as my regular season haul

17. bdub

bdub Walk On

I only got interest from 2 bonus guys but one of those is the #1 recruit in the country so hopefully that will pan out well. I am #1 on 11 4 stars as well but only one of them is a bonus guy unfortunatly. But if I manage to land 2-8-4 I should be able to lock up a solid class.

18. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

Commitment List
    :4stars:#2 MLB Andy Woods
    :3stars:#31 DE Joe Hill

Top Targets
    :5stars: #5 ATH Leonard Blankenship
    :4stars: #3 FS Courtney Bryant
    :4stars: #13 DE Thomas Hudson
    :4stars: #15 DE Steven Lyles
    :4stars: #12 T Willie Davis
    :4stars: #23 WR George Singleton
    :4stars: #7 OLB PJ Gibson
    :4stars: #8 CB Tony Austin
    :4stars: #25 WR Darron Goins
    :4stars: #11 QB James Malone - currently 2nd

19. Goose

Goose Walk On

Now all are on ND's must have list. lol

20. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

I just had to re-evaluate my board, with 18 scholarships available and only a few outside shots on bonus guys i had to add a long list of 3 star guys. I definitely like this way of recruiting as you cant just add 15 4 star guys and try to sign them you got to be a little more choosey on who you sign

• Like Like x 1
  21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

You also have to balance your roster. With fewer top guys available, you have to be thinking of next year's team a little more carefully. I'm liking it so far. I'll get the board updated this evening. There are some notable changes, including some exciting possibilities for my Bucks.

22. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

no signees yet for the Hawkeyes

23. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Marques Foster signed with the Tigers in Week 5.

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm now the top squad for five star DE Nick Brittain, and five star SS Dane Jackson soft committed in week four. Brittain visits in week five. Could be big for the Bucks.

25. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Quick Week Five Update:

The board has been updated again. Movement includes a nice signing by LSU, and a new leader for the nation's top defensive end. Also, Oklahoma supplanted rival Texas in the eyes of top linebacker Shannon Rogers. I'm guessing Texas isn't going to simply let that happen.

Good luck this week.