2014 Rookie Grades

Discussion in 'Team Management' started by Masler, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

TMFL25

Little bit of a different format this year. I will do grades once every 4 weeks, two divisions (8 teams) at a time. Each team will feature their Rounds 1-3 picks. This year I will start with:

[​IMG]
    Indianapolis Colts

Round 1, Pick #22

WR Alex Grayson - 10 Receptions, 129 yards, 0 TD

Taking up the #2 slot on the depth chart, I have to say I expect more if you are going to put a Rookie there. Clearly some sort of expectation was held for him to bump T.Y. Hilton to the slot position. No TDs yet, averages 2.5 Catches per game and DeAngelo Williams has more catches.

Grade: D

Round 2, Pick #44

WR Albus Barbados - 1 Reception. 7 yards

Didn't really expect much from the guy in the #4 spot. Not much I can analyze here.

Grade: N/A

Round 3, Pick #66

DT Sexton Lee - 1 Tackle, 1 TFL

Has only played in 2 games on six downs. He did manage to get into the backfield but I can't give a grade based off one TFL.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Round 1, Pick #3

CB Karrington Newsome - 11 Tackles, 2 Deflections

I was hoping to at least see a couple of INTs on this one but a couple of deflections will have to do. A handful of tackles but I don't think this kid really has found some footing with the way teams like to pass the ball yet.

Grade: C

Round 2, Pick #35

DT Brent Sloan - 9 Tackles, 1 TFL

I don't think this kid is an every down guy. He is averaging a couple tackles a game at this point and if he sees more PT, could finish the season with some respectable stats.

Round 3, Pick #67

QB Ben Gomez - 12/27 (44%), 225 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, Long of 83, Sacked 4 Times

He has seen playtime in all of his games this season but Henne has carried the load. Need to get the ball out of there a little faster being sacked 4 times (possibly crucial possession) and a 1:2 TD:INT ratio is not good either. If this is a QB Competition, Henne has it clearly won (even with 7 picks).

Tennessee Titans

Round 1, Pick #7

C Willie Dorsett - 1 Pancake, 0 Sacks, 4 Games Played, 192 Downs Played

Taking a different approach here with the O Lineman. It's pretty impressive when you see a guy with no sacks and nearly 200 downs under his belt already. The Titans needed a guy to protect Locker and that is just what he is doing, even has a pancake.

Grade: B+

Round 2, Pick #56

HB Ron Boenzi - 1 Att, 4 yards, 4 Downs Played

Not seeing much PT. Can't really accurately grade.

Round 3, Pick #87

LOLB Derius Griggs - 4 Games Played, 55 Downs

No stats and has had chances to do SOMETHING. Not even a tackle though when he averages 13 downs a game. That's way more than some rookies get and kid you aren't working that hard.

Grade: F

Houston Texans

Round 1, Pick #13

LE Jacques Dylan - 7 Tackles, 2 TFL

Well he's had 231 downs and has only recorded 7 tackles. According to the math, he only tackles 3% of the time. For him to be taken so early, he's not living up to the hype, especially in a starting role.

Round 2, Pick #48

RG Verley Isom - 1 Pancake, 2 Sacks Allowed, 5 Games Played, 350 Downs

Not bad for a second rounder. Has played a ton and compared to the guy next to him (no pancakes, 4 Sacks Allowed) is doing very well. Can't grade him too high though as he does need to work on the Pancakes a little.

Grade: C+

Round 3, Pick #80

FS Elbert Neely - No Stats

Zero stats, not even playtime.

[​IMG]
    Dallas Cowboys

Round 1, Pick #17

LG Efrem Carrington - 3 Pancakes, 0 Sacks Allowed, 211 Downs Played

Another impressive first round O Lineman. Even more downs that the previous guy and three times the amount of pancakes. Good steal from the Cowgirls

Grade: A

Round 2, Pick #49

RE Stephon Richard - 3 Tackles, 1 TFL, 1 Sack, 4 GP, 116 Downs

Not a starter but by the looks of it but with that many downs, I would think he would have higher tackles. Nice to see a TFL/Sack but I think the O lines are dominating the kid when he plays.

Round 3, Pick #73 and Pick #92

DT Quinten Murphy - 1 Tackle, 1 Deflection, 4 GP, 54 Downs

Rough to see youngsters getting chances and not being able to do anything. Still getting roughly 14 chances a game and not coming through for his team.

DT Virgil Goodwin - No Stats, 2 Downs

Cannot accurately grade.

New York Giants

Round 1, Pick #28

RT Kristian Ralston - 0 Pancakes, 2 Sacks Allowed, 3 GP, 135 Downs

Not exactly knocking the defense over but he has let them through a couple of times. If he can keep his sack number down, he'll be one of those fly under the radar types and silently helped the Giants continue their success.

Round 2, Pick #60

CB LeKambrick Knowlton - 5 Tackles, 1 TFL, 1 Sack, 47 Downs

For not being a starter, he's good at tackling. Buuuut I like to see a guy who can play the pass, being in the backfield is nice and unexpected for CB but it's more impressive when you have deflections or INTs. Keep trying kid.

Round 3, Pick #81

LOLB Parker Riley - 3 Tackles, 48 Downs

Another rookie that is given chances (or at least the starter needs a rest) and only earns himself a tackle 6% of the time. ugh.

Washington Redskins

No First Round Pick

Round 2, Pick #42

WR Jarrad DeCarvaiho - 4 Rec, 88 yards, Long of 45, 4 GP, 66 Downs

Either he can't get open, had one good day or isn't getting passed to. Whatever it is, doesn't look like the Redskins (fuck being politically correct) went with a great choice in their first pick of the draft.

Round 3, Pick #74

MLB Phillip Fontenette - No Stats, 3 Games, 25 Downs

I can forgive this guy just a bit more. He hasn't played in every game but still, 8 chances average should get a couple of tackles by now.

Philadelphia Eagles

Round 1, Pick #18

MLB DaVonte Story - 2 Tackles, 1 Deflection, 4 GP, 33 DP

Although he has seen action in all of the games, he hasn't played a ton. At least this guy has some stats and even played the pass a bit. Still not that great.

Round 2, Pick #50

RG Jawan Tyson-Gulley - 0 Pancakes, 0 Sacks Allowed, 16 DP

This would be impressive if he had 200ish downs on his resume, instead he barely has 20. Can't really give a grade for this one.

No Third Round Pick

• Like Like x 10
  2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

That FS was cut fyi Masler - good stuff though.

Was hoping to see some sacks from Dylan so far- but he eats up blocks at least.

3. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

If Masler were a professor, no one would pass the course.

• Like Like x 3
  4. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I cant wait until he grades my 1st, 1st round pick.. fml..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Masler

Masler Moderator

Ill just give you a F for all of em ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    :meh:

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

TMFL25

Little late on Edition #2 but here it is. I'll get Edition #3 out on time.

[​IMG]

AFC North
    Baltimore Ravens

Round 1, Pick #12

LT Boris Kozlov - 2 Pancakes, 0 Sacks Allowed, 9 GP, 618 Downs

He's played every game this season and damn near every down without giving up a single sack and pancaked a couple along the way. A few praised the taking of this kid and I can see why. He will bolster this Raven O Line for seasons to come.

Round 2, Pick #44

RT Alex McLaughlin - 0 Pancakes, 0 Sacks Allowed, 6 GP, 13 Downs

Can't really make a great judgement if he is averaging 2 downs per game that he is played.

Round 3, Pick #76

LG Jesse Guerra - 0 Pancakes, 0 Sacks Allowed, 3 GP, 15 Downs

Another lineman for the Ravens but only one of these rookies has earned playtime and was able to be graded fairly.

Cincinatti Bengals

Round 1, Pick #21

DT Dionte Gadell - 26 Tackles, 8 TFL, 5 Sacks, 1 FF, 9 GP, 389 Downs

Not too bad for a rookie going up against those big O Lineman. Over half of his TFL have been sacks and that's pretty impressive for a Rookie.

Round 2, Pick #53

LE Alec Woodyard - 10 Tackles, 4 TFL, 3 Sacks, 9 GP, 190 Downs

Doesn't look like an every down kind of player but when he is in the game it looks like he specializes in getting into the backfield. He averages 21 downs a game and just 1 tackle a game...he could step that part up a bit or maybe get a tad more PT to see how much potential he really has.

Round 3, Pick #85

DT Braddie Inglesi - 6 Tackles, 8 GP, 66 Downs

I can't really judge someone that only sees maybe 8 snaps per game and can't really do anything when he is in. But what the hell.

Cleveland Browns

Round 1, Pick #11

WR Silas Cureton - 23 Rec, 327 yards, 2 TD, Long of 30

Can't say I'm very impressed. If you are confident enough to start a Rookie, his stats should be a bit more exciting by Week 10.

Round 2, Pick #43

QB Louis Musgrove - 109/206, 1,674 yards, 8 TD, 22 INT

Yikes. This explains why the ball never gets to Cureton.

Round 3, Pick #68 (Originally Pittsburgh's)

RG Gabriel Mason - 0 Pancakes, 0 Sacks Allowed, 0 GP, 0 Downs

Traded up for what reason again?

Round 3, Pick #75

FB Kain Moss - No Stats

Pittsburgh Steelers

Round 1, Pick #4

ROLB Juan Attaway - 7 Tackles, 8 GP, 246 Downs

You'd think someone taken so high would get some more PT or could perform better! Bust Alert!

Round 2, Pick #36

WR Peter Gilmer - 8 Rec, 118 yards, 0 TD, Long of 24, 224 Downs

Has about half of the downs as the starters, Roethlisberger must not trust his slot guy(?) very much. Either way, not impressed for this many downs played.

No Third Round Pick

[​IMG]
    Atlanta Falcons

Round 1, Pick #2

DT Pierre McGriff - 21 Tackles, 4 TFL, 2 Sacks, 1 FR, 9 GP, 342 Downs

Impressive but not as impressive as Gadell. But still the kid deserves a little credit.

Grade: B-

Round 2, Pick #34

LE Ladarris Myers - 19 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 Sack, 1 FF, 9 GP, 404 Downs

Decent stats but if you're going to play this much in the NFL, you need just a tad more production. But still the Falcons are winning more this year that they did last so they must be doing something right.

Round 2, Pick #59

MLB Rason Phelps - 17 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF, 1 FR, 3 GP, 152 Downs

He did this much in three games...I'm thinking he got injured at some point early in the season to prevent him from playing more or the coach bench him for some insane reason. Either way this kid was on his way to a great Rookie year.

Round 3, Pick #66

LOLB Luis Carrington - 2 Tackles, 9 GP, 157 Downs

You get roughly 17 snaps per game and only have 2 tackles??? [​IMG]

Carolina Panthers

Round 1, Pick #29

WR Zachary Greenwald - 57 Rec, 1,032 yards, 7 TD, Long of 44

I've heard about this guy all season and it looks like the TMFL has a new threat to cover and it's name is Greenwald. Very impressive kid, keep it up.

Grade: A+

Round 2, Pick #61

CB Jimmy Olivencia - 1 Tackle, 1 INT, 7 GP, 50 Downs

Doesn't see much PT at all and doesn't produce when he does. MEH.

Round 3, Pick #71

WR Orland Cosby - 35 Rec, 675 yards, 9 TD, Long of 80

Impressive with more TDs than Greenwald but with around half the receptions. He takes the eyes of Greenwald and compliments him nicely. Another job well done by the Panthers in the receiving game. And no I'm not saying this because this is the commishes team.

New Orleans Saints

Round 1, Pick #31

FS Demetric Molton - 1 GP, 3 Downs

-__-

Round 1, Pick #32

HB Tavara Showers - 162 Att, 743 yards, 4.6 YPC, 6 TD, 3 Fumbles, 2 BTK, Long of 46

Not bad for a Rookie, will probably see 1,000 yards and 10 TD, which is a pretty solid season even for Vets. Could cut down on the fumbles though.

Grade: B

Round 2, Pick #41

WR Tyson Ellington - 36 Rec, 506 yards, 4 TD, Long of 41

Greenwald...wha? LOL jk. Still not a bad season for a Rookie and with the retirement of Brees, this passing game needed some quick talent. Looks like they found some.

Round 3, Pick #91

C Randy Albrecht - 0 Pancakes, 0 Sacks Allowed, 3 GP, 3 Downs

Cannot grade accurately

Round 3, Pick #95

FS Jerron Branch - 3 Tackles, 8 GP, 95 Downs

Does New Orleans draft FS to warm the bench? Why two? :confused:. Still enough downs to have a chance and not proving himself.

Round 3, Pick #96

C Becket Jasmin - No Stats

Either dropped or not playing at all. Awful name too.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Round 1, Pick #5

DT Rico Wakeel - 15 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 Sack, 8 GP, 378 Downs

Not good, not bad. Kind of the middle of the road but I also expected more from a Top 5 player.

Round 2, Pick #37

RE Davarius Travis - 10 Tackles, 8 GP, 442 Downs

A TON of play time for Rookie and only 10 tackles? Bummer.

Round 3, Pick #69

RT Josh "Say this one time fast" Waksmundzki - 0 Pancakes, 0 Sacks Allowed, 8 GP, 33 Downs

Averages 4 downs a game, can't really accurately grade this guy

Grade: N/A.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Poor Gadell played a good chunk of his season without Atkins next to him per injury. Overall I'm pretty excited about him. Woodyard was going to get some more PT but Carlos Dunlap has exploded this season for me and leads the team with 7 or 8 sacks.

Either way still better than that scrub Kasper took over Mash Johnson :p

• Like Like x 2
  9. Masler

Masler Moderator

Edition #3 is here folks!

[​IMG]
    Denver Broncos

Round 1, Pick #26

RE Antwan Bruton - 2 Tackles, 1 TFL, 1 Sack, 7 GP, 22 Downs

Truth is I haven't played him much and haven't needed to. When he is on the field he does a decent just but just doesn't have enough PT for me to even accurately judge.

Round 2, Pick #47

ROLB Boris Toodle - 1 Tackle, 12 GP, 157 Downs

Pitiful, this guy never does anything.

Round 3, Pick #90

CB Dietric Rothman - 4 Tackles, 12 GP, 158 Downs

Plays a lot of special teams but doesn't really produce when he is in on an actual play. Another bust for Denver

Kansas City Chiefs

Round 1, Pick #8

QB Josh Mehl - 151/280, 1899 yards, 6 TD, 13 INT, 54 Att, 277 yards, 5.1 YPC, 5 TD, 5 Fumbles

I'm kind of in the middle of the road with this kid. He was able to beat me pretty handily but appears to be stuck in a rut lately. He has potential but the 18 turnovers doesn't back that up.

No Second Round Pick

Round 3, Pick #72

WR Torian Hawes - 1 Rec, 7 yards, 11 GP, 60 Downs

He meets my 50 Downs requirement for grading but it doesn't look like he EVER gets the look his way. Maybe he isn't that great at getting open or can't catch, there isn't a drop stat.

Oakland Raiders

Round 1, Pick #1

QB Dane Honani - 179/302, 2939, 17 TD, 13 INT, 28 Att, 80 yards, 3 Fumbles

The top dog of the draft. The Raiders wasted no time in trying to solve their QB situation and he has done something good, he gave them at least one win. His stats are not that bad but I feel like the INTs either bury his team or they come at a crucial time in the game. Raiders are coachless at the moment and that can only mean the opposition is beating up the CPU.

Round 2, Pick #33

TE Jibreel Banks - 30 Rec, 559 yards, 2 TD, Long of 54

A member of the 500 yard club for TE, not bad for a Rook. Could be a huge threat in years to come if Honani looks his way a bit more.

Round 3, Pick #65

WR Ramon Bautista - 5 Rec, 51 yards, 1 TD, 271 Downs

I heard praises and praises about this kid. Kind of expected him to see the ball more.

San Diego Chargers

Round 1, Pick #25

C Lee Gardea - 3 Pancakes, 3 Sacks Allowed, 11 GP, 677 Downs

Of all the O Lineman he has taken the most snaps on the team. Only allowing three sacks in all that time isn't too bad and he has pancaked three in the process as well.

Round 2, Pick #57

LG Louis Babbich - 2 Pancakes, 1 Sack Allowed, 8 GP, 446 Downs

Roughly in the same area as Gardea if he had the same amount of PT. Nicely done by the Chargers to find a couple of solid O Lineman.

Round 3, Pick #89

CB Jude Wetshemongo - No Stats

[​IMG]

NFC North
    Chicago Bears

Round 1, Pick #6

LE Randy Millsaps - 31 Tackles, 13 TFL, 6 Sacks, 1 INT, 76 INT yards, 1 TD

Millsaps has started from day one and has shone. It's impressive enough that he has 13 TFL with six of them being sacks but to also take a pick 76 yards to the house? Nice! Played against this kid last night and he is an animal, very fast too.

Round 1, Pick #16

CB Fisher Sargent - 23 Tackles, 1 TFL, 1 Sack, 1 INT, 2 Deflections

Pretty good amount of downs played with a decent amount of tackles. Looks like he can cover pretty well.

Round 2, Pick #38

RE Jimmy Torres - 32 Tackles, 12 TFL, 7 Sacks, 2 FF

Look out everyone, Chicago has some Twin Towers. Millsaps has the Left side covered and Torres has the Right side covered. Give these two a year or two more and the Bears D Line will be very scary.

Round 3, Pick #70

WR Lou Duff - No Stats

Detroit Lions

Round 1, Pick #27

LT Frank Adeshina - 10 Pancakes, 3 Sacks Allowed, 11 GP, 654 Downs

Damn! 10 Pancakes to only 3 Sack given up? This kid must have some good strength and impact blocking or something.

Round 2, Pick #61

RG Reshard Smoot - 6 Pancakes, 5 Sacks, 11 GP, 496 Downs

A little less impressive, almost an even ration between pancakes and sacks. Nice to see a kid going hard in the trenches but there is too hard.

No Third Round Pick

Green Bay Packers

No First Round Pick

Round 2, Pick #45

LE Jaylen Gandy - 8 Tackles, 3 TFL, 3 Sacks, 11 GP, 350 Downs

Would expect a little more from him with so much PT. Good to see that nearly half of his tackles are behind the line but that number is so low that I can't be drawn in by that.

Round 3, Pick #77

TE Kevin Bobak - 3 Rec, 37 yards, 1 TD, 11 GP, 154 Downs

Must not be a very good target if he only has 3 catches when he see the field 14 times a game on average.

Minnesota Vikings

Round 1, Pick #24

CB Jonathon Kordenbrock - 34 Tackles, 1 TFL, 1 Deflection, 6 Catches Allowed, 12 GP, 586 Downs

Good amount of tackles but he seems to be struggling in the coverage area. Maybe move him to safety?

Round 2, Pick #39

SS Delency Dandy - 45 Tackles, 1 TFL, 2 INT, 4 Deflections, 11 Catches Allowed, 1 FF, 1 TD, 12 Gp, 743 Downs

Good amount of tackles with one for a loss even. Seems like he is a playmaker that the Vikings desperately needed on defense. Only thing that keeps this kid from a top grade is the alarming amount of catches he has allowed.

Round 3, Pick #87

QB Jacon Jakubiec - Cut from Team, Picked up by Houston in FA - 223/348, 2837 yards, 16 TD, 13 INT, 36 Att, 126 yards, 3 TD, 0 Fumbles

Looks like a steal for Houston. He will probably come close to if not exceed 4,000 yards and 25 TD this season but I fear he could also reach 20+ INT. Shows some good scrambling ability too.

Grade: B+ (for Houston, NOT Minnesota)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Check it out KnightNoles ! Jakubiec!!

For what it's worth- most of his INT are dumb throws by me. Only time he has done bad bad was for 2 minutes against The Richuation last night haha.

• Like Like x 1
  11. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I'd give kordenbrock a B- only because he doesn't get picks but also not many chances and the one he did make against the lions was washed away with a d/c.

Dandy is no doubt an A, he is a solid tackler, can cover well and the game doesn't register separating the ball from the recoever as a breakup.

Just my two cents, great job Masler

12. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I had a high ass grade on that CB , #2 out of the group if memory is correct.

13. KnightNoles

He was probably the best CB in the draft, nickel corner for me as of now. He makes tons of great breaks and dislodges the ball just doesn't get the ball in his hands.

14. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Kordenbrock's a pretty good gunner too. He basically shed his blocker against me every time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I would have drafted Jakubiec in the 4th or 5th...can't believe Noles cut him.

16. KnightNoles

I wouldn't have drafted him if I was there... Then I needed the roster spot for others.

17. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I approve of the ratings you gave for me Masler

18. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

I jinxed him with my commentary

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Masler you might need to change that F on Dylan. 3 Sacks and a FR in the last 3 weeks!

20. Masler

Masler Moderator

Newp

21. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Can expect a numbers rise for bausita. Has moved into the 3 Wr role

22. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Welcome back

• Like Like x 1
  23. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

If you need a TE in the off season and Bengals will have Grisham on the block :)

24. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

I have that rookie TE. He seems solid 89 overall.

25. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Get your New England on with two tights man ! Lol