2014 Rookie Report Cards

Discussion in '1st and 10' started by Kasper, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Ding Ding Ding- It's mid terms! The 2014 rookie class is full of playmakers on both sides of the ball, and many have been making some noise for their teams. From the high profile Johnny Football to Jimmie Ward to Clowney, we are going to check in with all the first round draft picks and see how they are faring.

Some players like Bortles & Watkins have been starting all year, but for the players that obviously aren't starting according to their stat line, we will defer to their coaches to here how they are doing! Would love to hear feedback from all the coaches regardless on how your rookie is treating you!

#1 DE Jadeveon Clowney - Houston Texans
    3 Sacks, 39 tackles, 14 TFL, FF, FR

The 3 sacks isn't necessarily impressive, but that 14 TFL's speaks volumes. Clowney has been a force on the edge and his pass rushing is only going to get better. Houston is having a down year, but Clowney has been a silver lining. Teams likely running the opposite direction of Watt has likely contributed to his stats. CamInMyMind1350

Grade: A

#2 OL Greg Robinson - St. Louis Rams
    4 pancakes, 2 sacks given up

2 sacks in 10 or so games isn't too bad for the rookie in St. Louie- and the 4 pancakes is a pretty nice stat. It would appear Robinson has been sturdy at LG- not outstanding, but sturdy.

Grade: B

#3 QB Blake Bortles - Jacksonville Jags
    2348 yards, 10 TDs, 11 INTs, 66% Completion, 234 YPG

I think Blake is doing what he can- the Jag's offensive line is a mess (evident by him being sacked nearly 40 times to this point in the season). 66% completion is sharp, but the 10-11 TD-INT ratio needs to improve. It's one thing to get sacked a lot, but he needs to show poise and live to fight another down rather than throw the picks. Danthraxxx

#4 WR Sammy Watkins - Buffalo Bills
    861 yards, 6 TD, 47 reception, 6 drops, 86 YPG

Sammy has been great in Buffalo, plain and simple. He has been everything they wanted, and he is a big part of the Bills good season so far. He is on pace to go for 1300 yards or so, 10+ touchdowns, and 75 or so catches-- what more could you want from a rookie? PhiGuy179

Grade: A+

#5 LB Khalil Mack - Oakland Raiders
    1 Sack, 24 tackles, 3 TFL, FF

For how hyped this guy was, his stat line strikes me as quite civilian. Who knows, maybe he doesn't rush the passer much- still you would expect more tackles from him, TFL too. What's the deal Hitmhrd72 ?

Grade: C-

#6 OT Jake Matthews - Atlanta Falcons
    2 pancakes, 4 sacks allowed

RT is a pretty tough position in Madden, so I am taking that into account. He has notched a few pancakes, which is good for a guy that wasn't really every considered mauling type OT to begin with. The season that Atlanta is suffering through probably doesn't help. Maybe the new coaching staff can right the ship and his numbers will improve. broth262

Grade: B-

#7 WR Mike Evans - Tampa Bay Bucs
    504 yards, 2 TDs, 40 rec, 5 drops, 50 YPG

Again, meh- probably a bigger meh than Mack. Only 2 TD's for a massive redzone target is not very impressive. On top of that, he is dropping a ball for every 8 catches- ick :dead: Maybe our new coach will get him more involved, Dreal5050 ?

Grade: D

#8 CB Justin Gilbert - Cleveland Browns
    3 INTs, 18 tackles, TFL, 9 PD's

Since I am his coach, I can give a little more insight. Gilbert has been outstanding for us and we have 0 fear of leaving him on an island. I will take 3 picks with a rookie any day, and the 9 PD's are even better. My grade might be biased, but..

#9 OLB Anthony Barr - Minnesota Vikings
    13 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 INTs

Ok start for Barr, but to be fair the scheme doesn't quite fit him right now. Word is Minnesota will be looking to go to a 3-4 next season, so his sack and TFL numbers will likely be up. If they make the switch, Barr will be the Vikings best edge rusher (possibly by far). RyanC any reason for the down numbers?

Grade: C+

#10 TE Eric Ebron - Detroit Lions
    331 yards, TD, 30 rec, 4 drops, 36 YPG

Weak stats for a guy that was supposed to be a nice receiver. Looks like the ball mainly goes to Calvin in Detroit, but that could be changing with the new coaching change. Spayer419 what was the deal with Ebron?

#11 OT Taylor Lewan - Tennessee Titans
    2 pancakes, 1 sack allowed

So far so good for Lewan. The Michigan product has been sturdy it would appear at RT for the Titans. They have had a rough season with multiple coaches, so hopefully someone can get in there and put this team to use.

#12 WR Odell Beckham Jr - New York Giants
    191 yards, 16 rec, 6 drops

Very quiet start for OBJ, but I have a feeling his stats might take off with new coach dablakpope - got any plans for the rookie?

Grade: F

#13 DT Aaron Donald - St. Louis Rams
    8 sacks, 21 tackles, 10 TFL, FF, safety

Donald has been dominant it would appear, ripping it up from his defensive end position for the Rams. He should certainly end up with double digit sacks, , and might push 20 TFL's. The Rams are currently CPU, so we will see who gets to put this horse to work next.

#14 CB Kyle Fuller - Chicago Bears
    1 sack, 1 INT, 33 tackles, 5 TFL, 3 PD's

Fuller has kind of done it all so far it looks like- a sack, a pick, some tackles behind the LOS, deflections - I like it. I'm guessing he is playing in the nickel spot as it would seem- so that is a nice state line given that. Chicago will have a new coach soon, we will see what is next for Fuller.

Grade: B+

#15 LB Ryan Shazier - Pittsburgh Steelers
    2 sacks, 36 tackles, 6 TFL, FR

I like what Shazier is doing in Pittsburgh playing next to Timmons. This isn't a defense where you will see many sacks from him I don't think, but he has shown the ability to disrupt and tackle people- doing his job. How is this athletic freak treating you kdpnutter ?

#16 G Zack Martin - Dallas Cowboys
    1 pancake, 4 sacks allowed

Tough start for Martin in Big D. I still think he will be a solid offensive lineman for Dallas, but he has shown he could use some work. What say you bringbackjimmy ?

#17 LB C.J. Mosley - Baltimore Ravens
    INT, sack, 24 tackles, 2 TFL, FF

Mosley looks like he is doing solid next to the veteran Daryl Smith. Nothing special here, but it would appear he is doing the job of a #2 MLB in a 3-4 scheme. He has made a few plays along with the tackles as well. How is the Bama linebacker treating you Mogriffjr ?

#18 Calvin Pryor - New York Jets
    45 tackles, 5 TFL, 2 sack, INT, FF, FR

Calvin has been everything the Jets were looking for and looks like he has been great in run support. Hats off to palmerense for putting this great athlete to use and producing with him!

#19 OT Ja'Wuan James - Miami Dolphins
    0 pancakes, 9 sacks given up

I'm not sure this pick worked out..

Grade: F

#20 WR Brandin Cooks - New Orleans Saints
    17 rec, 194 yards

Really quiet year for Cooks who was expected to do some big things this year. I know he was hurt for a while, maybe it was longer than I suspected. What say you wkward83 ?

#21 FS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - Green Bay Packers
    53 tackles, INT, 5 PD's

I really liked this pick in the draft, and think it was a great fit. Just like Pryor, Clinton-Dix is looking like he is going to be a great one for a while. He has done a great job in run support, though I would like to see some more plays made in the passing game. Still, good start. coltronsauce

#22 QB Johnny Manziel - Cleveland Browns
    2,045 yards, 16 TDs, 5 INT, 72% completion

Johnny is pushing for league MVP and is usually taking very good care of the ball. Looks like Cleveland finally has a QB. We don't do anything complicated on offense, so his high percentage is expected.

#23 DE Dee Ford - Kansas City Chiefs
    5 tackles

As we start getting deeper down the line, I think we are going to see more guys that aren't starting, and here is an example. Care to share some insight Jeffrey Hartle ?

#24 CB Darqueze Dennard - Cincinnati Bengals
    26 tackles, INT, PD, FF, FR

It looks like Dennard starts, so you would like to see a little more production. I think his future is plenty bright, maybe CTfromDC can tell us whats up with Dennard?

Grade: B-

#25 CB Jason Verrett - San Diego Chargers
    37 tackles, 5 INT, 3 PD, FR

Looks like Verrett has been really good for San Diego- they haven't had a user in a while so it's nice to see something positive is happenning out there.

#26 LB Marcus Smith - Philadelphia Eagles
    18 tackles, TFL

Slow start for Smith, might not have been starting.

#27 S Deone Bucannon - Arizona Cardinals
    45 tackles, 2 TFL, 3 INT, 6 PDs

Bucannon has been outstanding and it looks like the Cardinals safety positions are set for a while between him and Mathieu. How are you utilizing this explosive rookie Jon Jon Anderson ?

#28 WR Kelvin Benjamin - Carolina Panthers
    30 rec, 314 yards, 4 TD

Not very good numbers for a #1 receiver. However, there has been a coaching change in Carolina so maybe it will improve. I know broth had said his receivers had a hard time separating, and I doubt Benjamin could get much separation. Only thing saving him from a D is the TD's.

#29 DT Dominique Easley - New England Patriots
    19 tackles, 7 TFL, 4 sacks, FF

Easley is having a very productive first year and the numbers show it. New England is already pretty solid on the defensive front, so Easley is just another force for them. Another CPU team, who will get to use this former Gator?

#30 S Jimmie Ward - San Francisco 49ers
    21 tackles, TFL, Sack, INT, 2 PDs,

Just like Easley, Ward is making the most of every chance. I really liked him at NIU and he seems like a good fit for San Francisco. How are you liking him JJphil ?

#31 CB Bradley Roby - Denver Broncos
    13 tackles, TFL, Sack, INT, 2 PDs,

Not quite as productive as Ward and Easley with his limited chances, Roby is still looking solid for Denver. I would have to think Roby would make for a great nickel corner, how about it Rhight ?

#32 QB Teddy Bridgewater - Minnesota Vikings
    1,409 yards, 18 TDs, 3 INTs, 72%235 YPG

Bridgewater has been a home run hit for Minnesota, and he looks like the long term solution that Minnesota has been waiting for. Adrian Peterson's future is up in the air in Minnesota, so this could very well be Bridgewater's team next season- if it isn't already. This might our OROY. RyanC

• Like Like x 3
  2. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Starts the slow clap....

• Like Like x 2
  3. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Great content commish.....we are bringing him along slowly, grooming him to take over for hall next season as the #1...he shares that #2 cb with newman until he progresses more.

4. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Shazier does well, but no from his MLB spot he does not blitz a lot so sacks for him will be pretty slim. He is all over the place tho.

5. coltronsauce

coltronsauce Walk On

Awesome write up. Clinton-Dix is leading my team in tackles so he's doing something pretty great.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    GREAT stuff Kasper

Mosely has been VERY good in the middle...while Smith gets all the fanfare, it's important that I've gotten Mosely in on all downs because he's very adept as a cover LB. He doesn't blitz much neither but he's been very stout against the run and a very good tackler. Al-together, the Ravens LB corps is pretty amazing and filled with depth.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

You are missing a rookie Kasper

8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

??

9. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

Carr

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

he was a second rounder

11. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

Ah, gotcha.

12. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Great work Kasper , however in Bortles defense I think he's had multipe INT games in the games that have been sent to sim. Only really bad user game was vs that cheesedick defense in Cleveland. Not sure who that owner is but he's a dick ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rhight

Rhight Walk On

Roby is a work in progress, he plays a lot of nickle and will see his opportunities extend after a few years of molding.

14. Jon Jon Anderson

Jon Jon Anderson Walk On

Deone Buccanon has been great! Him and Mathieu have great chemistry. We use him all over the place. He has been making plays from day one!

15. JJphil

JJphil Walk On

Ward is doing a great job for us and making some plays when we need him the most

16. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

Well your missing DROY Demarcus Lawrence who is destroying QB's.
    Kasper

17. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Defensive line is over powered this year obviously.

:dino:

18. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Barr has been solid. One of my better run stoppers and better in coverage than expected. He just hasn't had opportunities for monster stats yet. Can't wait to get him in a 3-4 olb role