***2014 Scores Thread***

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

***2014 Scores Thread***

Post 'em here!

2. jello1717

2014 Defending National Champion Michigan Season Preview

Michigan sets out to defend their national championship this year, minus a lot of key players. On offense, they lost the vast majority of their skill players. This includes their top 2 QBs, top 2 HBs, FB, TE, and top 2 WRs. Losing Mark Charles @ QB is by far the deepest cut this year. While it was very disappointing to lose him after only his SO season (and 1st year as a starter), Michigan fans everywhere will always be greatful that he helped put Michigan's program back where they belong. @ WR, Greg Banks will also be sorely missed. Last year he proved himself worthy of the priveledge of wearing the #1 jersey in a big way. While impact HBs Vincent Smith and Fitz Toussaint will also be missed, Michgan's team is in a better position to replace those 2 than they are to replace Banks and Charles. On defense, we don't lose as much talent as the other side of the ball. On the line, the only starter that we lost was DE Craig Roh, although Roh was a superstar as he led Michigan with 11 sacks last year. Likewise the only LB we lost was SR Brandin Hawthorne, but Michigan has developed quite a good stable of LBs to replace him. In the secondary, the only 2 players that are gone are a CB and a FS who've already been replaced by better players. Special teams could be interesting as both the K and P have graduated to be replaced by redshirt freshmen.

Here's a closer look @ the current crop of Wolverines.

Quarterbacks:
    This is by far the biggest question mark on Michigan's team. As of right now, coach Jello has no clue which of 4 QBs will be the main guy. He'll play 3 of the 4 early on and then really hope that 1 will distinguish himself from the others. The options are:
    YR NAME OVR SPD AWR THP THA RUNNING ABILITY
    JR(RS) Derrick McGrew 84 80 great avg poor avg
    FR(RS) Marvin Cooper 81 83 very poor good poor avg
    FR Jacob Hawkins 77 86 avg avg poor poor
    FR Brian Whitaker 80 74 avg good poor great

Michigan will likely prove the old adage that if you have 3 potential starting QBs, that means that you really have none.

Running Backs:
    Michigan is very young @ HB, but also very talented. SO(RS) Lamont West will look to leave defenders in the dust with his blazing speed while SR(RS) Eric Ward will provide the power attack. You can also expect true FR HBs Robert Williams and Corey Temple to also see some playing time throughout the year. JR(RS) Brigham Rivera has really blossomed into a good FB as he's now a 90OVR with 86SPD. Coach Jello will need to find a way to get him more carries this year.

Receivers:
    Outside of QB, this is the 2nd weakest part of the team. Banks' departure left a gaping hole and Michigan has noone to fill it. SRs(RS) Williams and Williamson will be the main 2 guys with their 90 and 89 OVR ratings. After those 2, they plummet down to 84 and 81 for the next two guys. Coach Jello likes to call a lot of 4 and 5 WR sets, but this may have to change this year. At TE, noone has progressed like coach Jello had hoped and Michigan has 3 mediocre TEs right now.

O-Line:
    Coach Jello has prided himself on recruiting good offensive lines and this year's batch is no different. The ratings of the O-line are 90, 95, 99, 93, 87. While the tackles could be better, the middle of the line is very solid.

D-Line:
    Michigan's defense is the strongest part of the team and it starts with the D-line. While we lost a 99OVR DE from last year, this line is still very solid. They are rated 91, 99, 95, 88. While, like the O-line, the ends are a little weak, you can expect a big year from stud DTs A.J. Keller and Wendell Campbell.

Linebackers:
    The real story with Michigan's LBs is their depth. There are several very good backers in this corps. In the middle you've got SR(RS) and 3 year starter Jarrod Miller. He is backed up by a SO and FR who will both be 1st round draft picks by the time they leave. On the outside Michigan brings speed, speed, and more speed. These guys aren't just fast, they will knock more than a few players out of their cleats by season's end.

Secondary:
    Michigan is finally getting the kind of speed that they want in the secondary. SR(RS) SS Jerome Williams headlines the secondary unit after leading the team in both tackles and interceptions last year. His counterpart, JR(RS) FS Chad Jones will be getting his first start, but he will be another good safety, although he's probably still 1 year away from true greatness. @ CB Michigan is fairly young as they have only 2 upperclassmen and 4 underclassmen. JR(RS) Montrell Miller will be the top guy after having a very good year last season as the nickle back. This year's nickle back is true FR Mark Perry. It's rare for a FR to not be redshirted, let alone see significant playing time for Michigan, but Perry is one of those rare gems that will eventually dominate the world of college football. Despite only being a FR and not starting, expect big things from Perry this year.

Special Teams:
    Last year SR(RS) Fitzgerald Toussaint won the returner of the year award and became the first player during coach Jello's tenure to win any award. He's gone now, but Michigan always has dangerous backup players that can return kicks for them so they'll be alright there. We'll be starting 2 FR(RS) @ kicker and punter so only time will tell how those 2 will perform.

Prediction:
    It's tough to tell how things will go for Michigan this year. We don't have a QB that can throw the ball nor do we have recievers who can catch it. This may make Michigan's run-heavy offense even more 1 dimensional than in the past. This too takes a huge hit as no QB can run the option half as well as Charles did last year. There are several questions about this team. If the answer to most of them is "yes", then we'll be okay and will compete for a chance to go to the Rose Bowl. If the answer to a lot of them is "no", then we very well may follow in the footsteps of the last 2 national champions Florida and Penn State. These questions are:
    Will our defense play up to their potential?
    Will 1 quarterback step up to the challenge of being the go-to starter?
    Will this QB be able to run the option decently well?
    Will this QB protect the ball without throwing it to the other team too often?
    Will HBs West and Ward be able to carry the offense on their shoulders when the QBs can't get it done?
    Will ND's players get into a horrific traffic accident on the way to the stadium?
    Will the subpar WRs man up and play beyond their abilities to take the burden off of the QBs?
    Will the FR K be able to handle the pressure and make the big kicks when needed?

The season is about to start, so let's start answering some of those questions.

As always, GO BLUE!

3. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

MSU 59
    BC 29

I lost my starting HB for the Season, AGAIN, in the 2nd quarter. His backup, Pennington, rumbled for 131 yards and 5 TDs. MSU overcame 4 INTs with it's strong running game and newly stingy defense. BC tossed 3 INTs of their own, but their HB ran for over 200 yards on me and their O-line totaled over 20 pancakes.

It's going to be tough, especially in user games, without my starting HB for the rest of the year. He was a dominant power back who could give me 5 yards a pop easily. I don't have any WRs to throw to so the offense is really going to struggle without Ostrander.

4. jello1717

I was wondering if that guy was the one that tore me up last year until I finally read the final word of your post.

Words can't describe just how disappointed I am to not have to face that guy again this year.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    #22 Army - 59
    #9 North Carolina - 24

Not even close.

With a tough schedule lined up in front of the Black Knights, coach Shaun Mason knew his team would need to start off the season with intensity. After losing most of a starting backfield that ran for 10,000 combined yard, it was a fresh start for Army.

New starting quarterback Jim Atkinson started off with an average (by Army standards) game, running for 60 yards, throwing for 80. He scored two touchdowns and had two interceptions, which is two more than he threw last year (despite 8 TD tosses). Much of the trouble came from the new offense. Army is trying to show more balance and spread the field vertically. After facing 8 man fronts all last year, coach Mason felt it was necessary to keep defenses honest.

The rest of the backfield made up for the average play at quarterback. Senior speedster Matt Gary ran for 140 yards and two scores. His counterpart on the other side, Sophomore scatback Ed Hill added another 100 on 9 carries.

The defense played great, holding the talented Tar Heels to 17 points (Aktinson threw a pick six). With all but strong safety and the defensive line back, the defense has a lot of experience and it showed. The defense did take a blow after All-American (2nd team) CB Vincent Riley broke his jaw in the second quarter. Luckily CB is a deep position for the Knights.

Coach Mason said after the game, "I was proud today. Despite losing most of our offense, we came out and ran the ball VERY well and through the ball about 20 times. The defense played great, especially the line. I was worried about losing three seniors, but those big ass boys came to play today! We have a tough schedule this year, with Miami, West Virgina, OU and Florida out there. Hopefully we can stun some folks this year."

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Now I wish I could have that Transfer available this year!!

Actually I'm pretty deep at HB, but Ostrander was a beast and had gained some speed this offseason.

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

OU 28

UF 40

Florida's running game outplayed Okalahoma's passing game today as Thomas gave up 3 INT's the first game. It looks like if he can limit picks and the Sooners pass defense can toughen up then it will be a great season for them. They open up at home vs BYU next week. GG Basis.

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yep, good game man. The running game allowed me to work the clock how I wanted. Your passing game was able to go down the field on me seemingly at will, which is something that will need to be addressed.

On a Florida level, I enjoyed what I saw. I saw a group that seems more willing to make plays than to be spectators like the past couple of seasons in Gainesville. We'll see how it all plays out.

9. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Purdue 6
    #3 ND 63

ND's defense was outstanding, intercepting 7 passes and not allowing Purdue any semblance of a running game. The ND offensive line dominated allowing ND one of its best rushing games of the last several seasons. In his first start, Ian Childress went for over 200 yards on only 11 carries. He had 2 runs over 75 yards. In the first game of his senior campaign, Deon Spence caught 2 balls, both for TD's.

10. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

I think I'm the last one. I'm going to try and play my game tonight to get an advance in the morning. I actually think recruiting will take me longer than playing the game - even though we just got 6* prestige, it seems like they aren't many good 4* interested, just non-bonus 5*. Right now my board is mostly 3*s (who seem pretty good), but I've gotta fix that.

Also, game summaries thread has a season preview and a list of last season's awards

11. jello1717

Michigan Experiments Against a Bad Boise State Team En Route To a 41-29 Victory

Michigan's defense was solid as expected. They gave up more points than one would've thought, but they still played well. The 1st team defense only gave up 14 through 3 quarters while the 2nd stringers gave up 15 in the 4th.

Offensively, Michigan played 3 different QBs as expected. QB#1 played the 1st quarter, QB#2 the 2nd, and then QB #3 the 3rd. The true FR #3 guy played the best and likely won the starting nod for the next game against #11 Miss. St. while the JR(RS) #1 guy played the worst. It'll likely take coach Jello a few games of playing everyone until he can nail down a main guy.

Michigan needs to replace Banks and they were hoping it'd be one of their top 2 receivers (both SR(RS)). Unfortunately, these experienced guys dropped 3 of the 5 passes thrown their way. Instead is was true FR Gary Franz and SO(RS) Billy Green who stepped up big as they combined for 192 yards and 3 TDs. Michigan rushed for 169 yards and had 4 guys rush for at least 27 yards.

[​IMG]

Just in case the fans had forgotten, Green reminds them who's #1

Michigan has a bye week next so they'll have more time to experiment as they prepare to head down to Starkville to face a very dangerous Bulldog team.

Game Statistics
    Column 1
    Category Boise State Michigan
    Score 29 41
    First Downs 14 18
    Total Offense 305 379
    Rushes-YDS-TD 23-56-1 39-169-1
    COMP-ATT-TD 25-37-3 14-22-4
    Passing YDS 249 210
    Sacked 3 4
    3rd Down Conv 6-14 4-11
    4th Down Conv 1-1 2-2
    2pt Conv 1-1 0-0
    Redzone-TD-FG 3-3-0 6-4-2
    Turnovers 1 1
    Fumbles-Lost 0-0 1-1
    Intercepted 1 0
    PR Yds 3 80
    KR Yds 188 96
    Total Yards 496 555
    Punts-Average 7-40.4 3-41.7
    Penalties-YDS 1-15 2-25
    T.O.P. 11:47 16:23

12. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

Week 1
    #11 Mississippi State - 42
    Stanford - 3

Bulldogs dominate in season opener. See game summaries section for the full recap and some pretty nice plays.

I'm gone Sun/Mon, but it shouldn't be a problem since I have a bye (will get recruiting done today).

13. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Penn State 48
    Arizona State 14

On Penn State's worse play, they still seemed better then last years National Championship hungovered team.

Most of the game they looked like an unstoppable, unbeatable, just hand the NC trophy over to them... but there were still plays that made the nation realize a college football season is a long season and Penn State will need to be consistently good, lucky and opportunistic, if it is to win their second NC in 3 yeras.

I really like this team and can't wait to get my first test coming up against Notre Dame.

14. Masler

Masler Moderator

OU 62

BYU 34

A scary first half as BYU gives the Sooners hell with the score close at halftime. But after the half the Sooners defense was too much for the Cougars as they dismantle them. Even the backups who came in early in the 4th quarter played well. The defense indeed dominated as they scored 3 TD's. 2 of the TD's on D came from linebacker Dortch, he had one FR for a TD an INT-TD (one handed I might add). One thing I noticed all game was my receivers/running backs/defenders ability to shake off tackles and continue for at least another 10 yards.

Sooners host the Spartans next week.

15. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Miami 28
    Army 24

The 'Canes escape West Point with a 4 point victory over the Black Knights of Army. Thomas Utley snags a 38 yard pass from backup QB Thomas Mack for the game winning TD with 1:44 left in the game. Miami HB R Clancy paced the 'Canes with 138 yard on 18 carries including 73 yard burst which set up a 3 yard plunge for him. the deciding factor of the game was an incompletion with 40 seconds which was Army QB Atkinson exit the game with an unknown injury.

16. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

#5 Nebraska 31
    #4 Ohio St 9

The defense in Nebraska is still strong with a performance that held the bucks to 9 points. The offense was pretty balanced with a nice passing attack and a 91 yard day by HB J. Willis. The best safety in the nation started off right where he left last season with a huge day. 12 tackles, 1 Sack, 2 INTS, 2 Deflections, and 1 forced fumble. He was all over the field disrupting the OSU offense all game long. The huskers head to a bye next week before heading to the orange bowl to face the canes.

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Good game Suge.

That is a game I should have won. I dicked around to much adjusting to a different playbook. Losing Atkinson for large spots didn't help. Matt Gary looked like a world beater, running for 170 yards again.

When you have 500 yards of offense, you should score more than 24.:) Oh well, eventually I will win a user game (in NCAA '11 maybe).

Shaun

18. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Notre Dame 8
    Penn State 31

So in the NC, Penn State took an early 21-3 lead. Last year Notre Dame took an early 21-3 in South Bend, and just to keep with tradition, but still change it up a little, this year Penn State takes a 21-0 lead early (ish).

Notre Dame came into Happy Valley with one thing in mind, take away the easy stuff. Penn State came into Happy Valley with one think in mind... KILL!!!! Both Penn State and Notre dame slugged it out throughout the first half. The game was so defensive that Notre Dame would wind up fumbling early in the first quarter, with the score 0-0, on their own 38, and it would turn in to a Penn State 3 and out punt...:eek:

The balance game would shift in this game and shift quick. After stopping Notre Dame on fourth down (The Irish was 2 for 5 on fourth and 2 for 9 on third down conversions), and up 7-0 Penn State continued to try to open up Notre Dame's defense by taking shot after shot deep. Finally they hit, then hit again, next thing you know Notre Dame now is on the ropes and Penn State is scoring a TD to go up 14-0 with 0:44 left in the half.

Notre dame tries to answer quick but gets hit while throwing leading to a Penn State pick. On the next play Penn State goes for the endzone and completes again to make it 21-0 with 0:29 to go in the half.

After halftime Penn State went ground chuck and threw some well timed passes in there to keep the ball moving to seel the deal.

Basically we found out that Penn State can't play in South Bend, and Notre Dame can't play in State College, but on a neutral field they're even... I vote for State College to be the all time host of this series from now on.

Dat, hopefully we can get back to playing close games again, this whole taking turns to blow each other out is so yesterday. ;)

19. Masler

Masler Moderator

Unstoppable F-ing runningback causing OU to lose...screw that, he literally ran right through the defender, not over him, not around him, THROUGH HIM, phased right through him....I'm pissed.

there goes my season already....BS

seriously tired of blowing leads...up 35-21 at halftime...it's as if the game doesn't want me to win.

20. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Clemson 13
    Miami 31

Miami Hurrcanes hosted 19th ranked Clemson this afternoon and dominated the Tigers from the start. With the exception of an 89 yard perfect heave and catch and a 99 yard pick six on a foolish throw by Kevin Mack, Miami controlled the pace of the game. Despite losing backfield starters Cole Patterson and Robert Clancy, Miami jumped to an early 28 - 7 lead. Miami is now 2 - 1 on the season and will face off against Nebraska in South Florida.

21. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I am a Miami fan for the rest of the season...the more you win the better my loss looks.

22. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

#9 Mississippi State - 6
    #1 Michigan - 31

I was actually thinking of having a recruit visit this week, and I'm glad he didn't. This was by far the worst I've played in a user game ever. Negative rushing yards, <200 passing yards. There were points where I still had a chance. Late in the 2nd it was 14-0 and I had gotten down inside the five, but I couldn't get it into the endzone. Had to settle for a field goal, and a similar thing happened at the beginning of the second half.

So it's 14-6, and we hold them to a three-and-out. I think I've got a chance to come within one, and then we fumble. It all went downhill from there.

I could not pass the ball, which was not good since that's what I was doing most of the second half. What's even worse is that I couldn't defend the pass either. Twice I gave up long completions on 3rd+15 or so. I deserved the loss this game - I was TERRIBLE.

23. jello1717

Michigan's Defense Lives Up to the Hype

#1 Michigan manhandled #9 Mississippi State tonight in Starkville, 31-6. Michigan jumped out to an early 14-0 lead behind the legs of true FR QB Hawkins who ran for TDs of 5 and 9 yards. Michigan's D bottled up the Dogs' offense pretty well in the 1st half. At the end of the half, MSU marched the ball down field to get a 1st and goal @ about the 3 yard line. A TD here would've cut the lead to 1 score with MSU getting the ball first in the 2nd half. Michigan's D stepped up to the challenge and stuffed them 3 times in a row to force a FG as time expired.

MSU would get another FG in the 3rd quarter to cut the lead to 1 score, 14-6. At the end of the 3rd quarter, Hawkins would run for his 3rd rushing TD on the day to extend the lead to 21-6. Early in the 4th quarter, Hawkins would hook up with fellow true FR WR Franz on a 7 yd TD pass to pretty much put the game out of reach at that point.

While Hawkins played with poise beyond his years, the story of the day was Michigan's defense. They forced 3 turnovers and tallied a staggering 8 sacks on the day (7 in the 2nd half!). All 4 Michigan starting D-lineman had at least 2 sacks in the game. While the big boys up front will get all the accolades, I can guarantee you that they are treating all of the little fast guys behind them to dinner tonight. Of the 8 sacks, only 2 of them were quick ones. The other 6 sacks were all coverage sacks. Gilbert had plenty of time to throw the ball, but the Michigan secondary were shadowing the MSU receivers everywhere across the field. Eventually the pocket would break down and Gilbert would have to eat the dirt.

[​IMG]
    Ken Gilbert was pulling sod out of his facemask all day long

Michigan will host another ranked team next as they face #14 Georgia. It's very safe to say that Jacob Hawkins has won the QB battle and the starting job is now his to lose.

Game Statistics
    Column 1
    Category Michigan Mississippi State
    Score 31 6
    First Downs 12 10
    Total Offense 251 175
    Rushes-YDS-TD 31-71-3 20-(-12)-0
    COMP-ATT-TD 14-18-1 14-21-0
    Passing YDS 180 187
    Sacked 2 8
    3rd Down Conv 6-11 3-9
    4th Down Conv 1-1 0-0
    2pt Conv 0-0 0-0
    Redzone-TD-FG 4-4-0 2-0-2
    Turnovers 0 3
    Fumbles-Lost 0-0 2-1
    Intercepted 0 2
    PR Yds 5 3
    KR Yds 58 138
    Total Yards 314 316
    Punts-Average 3-42 4-43.3
    Penalties-YDS 1-15 0-0
    T.O.P. 16:58 11:38

24. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

Yeah, I could not believe how I never seemed to find the open guy, and my QB just doesn't have very much speed so when I tried to scramble it ended in disaster. Also, my first INT was a mistake - I thought the receiver closest to me had 'Y' above his head when it really was the guy behind him. I found it funny that there were about three passes that should have been picked off but were somehow caught by my receivers (including three others where it hit your DB's right in the hands and they still dropped it), and then I go and throw that first INT.

25. jello1717

That's funny! I did that twice, but both times my guy caught it. I think it was my lucky night. The first time, I have "Y" running a slant across the middle with NOBODY covering him at all! Instead I hit "A" (I never saw "A"). This was my TE who had finished his route so he was standing all by himself with a defender directly in front of him. My TE then skied by jumping about 3' in the air to make the catch.

The 2nd time was when I came out with 3WR, 1 TE, and 1 HB and then I motioned my HB out to the right to have an empty backfield. I hotrouted him to a streak and, again, he was completely uncovered. I pushed the wrong button again (once again to some receiver I never even saw) and luckily he was open enough to make the catch.