2014 SEC Blog

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by carolinaeasy, Mar 3, 2011.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Welcome to the Home of SEC Football
    [​IMG]

2. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

GATOR FOOTBALL IS BACK
    [​IMG]
    And better than ever..
    Coach Eyeke Yrrep brings his smashmouth offense and speed defense to Gainesville in hopes of restoring Florida to previous glory. Eyeke admits that this will be an uphill battle but his years spent in Gainesville under Coach Spurrier will help, and he plans to revive old recruiting ties and really focus in on the local kids with talent.
    Eyeke's offense consists of few formations, but a large variety of plays from those formations. Giving the defense a balanced look keeps them from loading the box or running prevent. Coach Eyeke is as likely to run on 3rd and 10 as he is to pass, and the look given to the defense will be the same.

Q: What's your biggest concern going into this season?
    Eyeke: I'm concerned with the depth of our offensive line and secondary. We have players playing out of position to fill in holes, including having to use some fast linebackers to cover slot receivers in dime packages.

Q: Your team is very senior heavy, with not much depth. Competing for the SEC title is a given this year but can you reload and keep things moving without a down year?
    Eyeke: You're right, our team is amazingly loaded with seniors who provide a ton of leadership. Our receiver corp has 4 guys who will be playing on the next level next year, along with our QB and HB. We have great juniors in behind our QB and HB, but WR depth will be an issue next year. We may have to be an option team next year while we rebuild. Defensively we'll be about the same as this year if we can get standout junior LB Hicks to return. If he leaves.. we're in big trouble.

Q: You've got one game in the books already against a tough Wake Forest team. What were your take-aways from that game?
    Eyeke: Our QBs really struggled with the new plays. Getting hired so late in the year meant we had to cram the plays in, so our playbook was scaled back to as minimum as possible. Burton really struggled with his accuracy, missing multiple wide open touchdown throws where our incredible WRs blew by receivers. He was also ineffective in the option game. Our defense was tremendous, getting credit for a shut out until I pulled starters at end of 3rd. Was nice to see how our young backups performed, but we did lose the 4th quarter 14-0 and that's concerning. Mack Brown performed well and received a game ball. Quinton Dunbar's stats really hop off the page, but if Burton would have hit him on two other attempts we would have set records. We don't draw any plays up for Quinton, he is our second option at best but his route running and quickness off the line lead to the big plays you see week in and week out.

Q: You talk at length about goals and expectations. If you could only meet 3 of your expectations what 3 would you choose?
    Eyeke: I believe in ball control and efficiency. I believe winning the turnover battle would be #1. #2 would be converting 3rd downs, my expectation is 65% conversions. I also want to make sure that we're putting up touchdowns when we get in the red zone. My red zone offensive play selection really narrows down. I have a page in my playbook exclusively for red zone plays, it's the size of a post-it note. Most of the note says "WINNING, DUH" in huge writing on it so that should tell you how many plays.

Thanks for your time Coach Eyeke. We look forward to hearing from you again next week.

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

2014 LSU Season Preview
    The 2013 edition of the Bayou Bengals electrified fans and galvanized the fan base behind first year coach C. Easy. That team was a young, athletic team that seemed poised to make another serious run at the BCS title in 2014. However, the lure of NFL millions was able to strip the Tigers of several of their biggest contributors from a season ago. We sat down with Coach Easy to discuss his thoughts on the coming season and what he and his team need to do in order to defend the SEC title.
    Q: Coach you were able to make it to the big game in your first year at LSU how do you plan to handle a return run to the big game?
    Easy: Well my staff and players have created a standard of expectations here that we are working hard to achieve. We know life in the SEC is tough and it should be tough. We don't expect anyone to bend over and kiss our rears because we won the SEC last year. Florida, Alabama, and Ole Miss will be gunning for us. Tennessee is a little hot after the way we beat them in the title game last year.
    Q: Coach your team lost a lot of great players from last year's team. How do think this will impact the dynamics of your team?
    Easy: The faces may change but the standard of excellence remains. All those players who were here last year were part of a special group. To go through the adversity of a coaching change and to still buy into the program and what we as a new coaching staff were trying to sell is a sign of their mental toughness. Losing them, especially the underclassmen that we did, was tough. But we have a great core group here that contributed last year, and I feel they will continue to uphold the standards our program.
    Q: Coach the pro-style attack you used last year was highly successful in establishing the running game. Can we expect a change in the style of play now that Scott Simpson has moved on to the NFL?
    Easy: Do I expect a change? Sure to some degree there will be a change, but we are still going to line up and run the football. We have one of the best offensive lines in the SEC and we will do what we can to ram the ball down your throat. Jakari Gore is by far the feature back but other guys will be contributing to this teams success.
    Q: What game is circled on your schedule?
    Easy: Week 1.
    Q: You don't have a special game that means a bit more?
    Easy: Every game means something, you lose one and the dream dies. We approach each game as a business deal that needs to be closed.

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

LSU Defeats the FIU "Sex" Panthers
    [​IMG]
    The season opener in Baton Rouge was nothing more than a chance for the purple clad faithful to whip up some crawfish and down some Abita Purple Haze. The FIU "Sex" Panthers put up a valiant fight but in the end they came up short. The defending SEC champs are currently ranked #4 and will most likely hold that ranking for another week as all 3 teams in front of them won. The Tigers are back in action next week at home against Tulane.

5. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

GATORS CRUSH EAGLES, 79-7
    [​IMG]
    After a relatively slow start, the Gators found their groove in the 2nd Quarter and posted over 70 in the first half. Everything was going the right way for the Gators, who took most of their starters out of uniform at halftime.​

Star tailback Mack Brown was seen crowd surfing partway through the 3rd quarter. Coach Eyeke said he wished he could have joined him, and that any time Mack can post over 150 yards and 4 TDs in a half on less than 10 carries.. he can take the rest of the game and two days of practice off.​

The Special Teams and Defense were in prime form also. Florida's defensive starters gave up their first touchdown of the season this week, in the closing minute of the first half when the score was already 64-0. Defense held EMU to 33 yards rushing for the game but did give up over 300 yards passing. Punts were the key to the game, as Florida did not punt in the first half, but returned 4 of them for either touchdowns or inside the EMU 5 yard line.​
    Florida also added a safety in the game.​

Coach Eyeke changed to QB by Committee this week, and the tandem of Burton and Gunn went 15-20 for 280 yards and 5 TDs.​
    Here's a recap from coach's post game interview:​

Q: Coach Eyeke, This game couldn't have gone much better for your team and you're off to a very impressive 2-0 start. What's your biggest takeaway and area of improvement from today?

Eyeke: Our offensive line wasn't overly impressive in pass protection. our QBs had great games but they were under pressure for most of it. EMU blitzed more than we expected and we did not leave backs or TEs to help chip. We expect our 5 linemen to handle whatever pressure comes and our QB to check down if more than 6 come. We will be working on that communication and possibly making some changes to our starting lineup. Our backups got some good PT and I'm hoping to see some things on film that we can work on this week in practice

Q: Coach Eyeke, please tell us about the things you're doing with your special teams. You're on pace for potential record seasons in return yardage with your All American Dunbar. Are you concerned he may get injured with all his playtime in this small portion of the game?

Eyeke: As all good coaches do, I take extra pride in special teams and coach this group myself. Our best and brightest will always have a starring role in this group and I believe it's the key to our continued success. There will be games where our offense isn't clicking or our defense gives up points. Our ability to flip field position on a kickoff or punt will win us games without a doubt. The most important play is the next play, if that's a punt then expect our best players to be out there for it.

Coach Eyeke apologized at length for embarrassing EMU and says he should have pulled starters partway through the 2nd quarter. Florida escaped without injury and lessons were learned, hopefully the EMU program can recover from this crippling defeat.​

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

58 points in one quarter! Thats insane.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The balance between user and CPU seems to be getting pretty bad in some cases. One way or another, we have to keep the scores down, or else we risk runaway award winners and lack of competition for those awards.

The last thing I want is a stat race between teams or players. I scheduled Army almost every season, but once it got silly, I started punting on first down late, just to get the scores down. It's only happened a couple of times, so I didn't think to make an adjustment. If you must kill time - and before it gets to 79, you must - then there are ways to guarantee that the scores stay down.

Otherwise, I'm forced to hit the league with tougher sliders that will guarantee losses. Since many CPU games are close, I don't want to do that.

I don't see any real harm in this. Steps were taken to keep things sane; they just didn't work so well. We'll get a handle on it next time.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm not going to sim it. You're thin, and a simmed injury or two would be a major blow. We seem to be on the same page about it, so I don't mind it staying as it is.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Tulane Puts New Meaning to the Term "Big Easy"
    [​IMG]

The 2014 Tiger party continued this weekend in New Orleans as LSU easily handled Tulane 44-7 in the Super Dome. A hot start by quarterback Connor Wood lead Tigers to a 28-7 first quarter lead which they never looked back from. In the second quarter the Tigers defense blanked Tulane, while the offense added 10 points. The third quarter was scoreless for both sides and in the fourth quarter the Tigers scored two field goals to make the final score 44-7. Aside from WR Kevin Fobbs' 100 yard receiving day, no other Tiger had a great statistical day on offense. Defensively P.J. Ford had 11 tackles and two sacks from his left defensive end position.

10. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

Florida Outlasts Tennessee in Knoxville

The Florida Gators made their bi-annual trip up to Knoxville for what turned out to be a shootout, scoring in the final minute to take a 45-38 victory. Florida's ground game really struggled in the first half but senior receivers Chris Dunkley and Quinton Dunbar were unstoppable. The Gators were up 24-3 at halftime and came out very sluggish in the 2nd half. Coach Eyeke didn't appear to know how to handle is first division game with a big lead, and pulled his offensive and defensive starters after a quick score on their first possession pushed the lead to 31-3. Tennessee roared back with two scores on back to back drives. Coach Eyeke kept playing conservative, getting backup QB Gunn some playtime after starter Trey Burton went 7/8 for over 200 yards and 2 TDs in first half.
    Florida's defense was tough today, forcing two interceptions in the red zone.

Mack Brown got on track in the 2nd half, putting up 137 on the ground as Florida went to a clock control game as much as possible. Tennessee had 3 receivers go over 100 yards, as Florida was forced to stick with their base 4-3 the entire game due to lack of depth at corner. Trey Burton was 14 for 17 on the game for 350 yards, but forced a late corner route throw which was intercepted and led to one of Tennessee's late scores.

Tennessee scored with 38 seconds left to tie the game, then kicked off to Dunbar who nearly took it to the house. Two plays later Dunbar caught a short in route and took it to the house for the go ahead score with 17 seconds left.

Florida then kicked off to Tennessee who brilliantly moved to within range of a game winning throw. Nance dropped back and hit Trey Jones right in the hands on a crossing route. He dropped the ball at about the 2 yard line after taking his eyes off it and seeing glory in front of him.
    He must be the sickest man in America.

Coach Eyeke didn't have much to say this week, just replayed the highlight of Jones dropping the last pass and chuckled.

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Coach Eyeke Claims His Gators Will "Push the Tigers All Over the Field"!
    [​IMG]
    Coach Eyeke (pictured right), seen here in a 2008 picture at Mike Leach Day in Lubbock TX., had some strong words for Coach Easy's LSU Tigers
    The annual cross-divisional rivalry between the Florida Gators and the LSU Tigers just saw the first hit of the season. This one was a verbal jab aimed at the entire team from the new head coach of the Gators Coach Eyeke. In a post on his blog "Why aren't you as fast as me.org" he posted

Coach Easy was not available for comment but some of his staffers sent us this picture.
    [​IMG]

We can only assume that is gator meat.

GEAUX TIGERS!

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think this guys was at that parade:

13. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

[​IMG]

In a press release from Coach Eyeke, this picture was sent out to all agencies covering SEC football. Eyeke's prepared statement read as follows:
    "Dear press: I had hoped to have our SEC Championship rings available to hand out after the Tennessee game but there was a delay in the shipping. That's what happens when you order from a company in Atlanta, was probably a Georgia grad in the call center. I'm hoping I get my fries with my order.

I've drawn this picture and hung it up around our locker room, to demonstrate how Bayou Bengal will be handled on this and all future trips into the Swamp.

We will completely eliminate their throwing game by tearing off their arms.. and then load the box to stop what Coach Easy refers to as a 'Running Game.'

Scott Simpson isn't walking through that door coach. Best of luck stopping our 4-headed Speed Monster of receivers. You'll be coming to town on Homecoming this year but to show how concerned I am about your visit I've told my starters to hold off on drinking until halftime."

This trash talk follows Coach's post on his blog guaranteeing a victory over the Bengals. We at SEC Blog sure hope he knows what he's doing. This seems like Prison style antics, pick the biggest target and swing at him.

14. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Prepared statement from Coach Easy:

In the words of General McAuliffe at Bastogne: To the Florida Head Coach: NUTS! -From the LSU Head Coach.

15. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

Game on

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Now now. Let's play nice. All in good fun around here.

17. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

Gators keep rolling, despite slow start. Skin the cats 52-30
    [​IMG]
    The Florida Gators kept their "Bayou March" alive, inching closer to their big LSU matchup by beating the Kentucky Wildcats on Saturday. A large fight broke out in practice on Wednesday as players were discussing their "Pay For Play" rates and it came out how much more offensive players were getting. Coach Eyeke suspended defensive stars linebacker Derek Hicks and safety Stanford Jamison for the first half, and wideout Robert Clark for the first 3 quarters for their involvement in the brawl.​
    The suspended players were definitely missed as Kentucky jumped out to a 21-7 lead at the end of the first, but Florida rallied back to tie the game by halftime and pull away in the second half.​
    Quarterback Trey Burton set a career high in interceptions with 4 and was pulled and used situationally after halftime. Wideouts Chris Dunkley and Quinton Dunbar continued their assault on the record books going over 100 yards each and Dunbar added two scores. The defense applied consistent pressure but UK won the turnover battle 4-1 due to Burton's errors. Mack Brown was the Player of the Game, posting another 150+ yard game with 3 TDs.​

Q: Coach Eyeke, Kentucky jumped ahead early in this game but you were able to battle back, can you tell us what happened early and what you changed in your gameplan to turn things around?​
    Eyeke: The loss of three key starters definitely set us behind. Our defensive depth isn't capable of absorbing this kind of loss but I felt it was important for us to establish early in our season exactly how things will be handled. I hope recruits and parents of those recruits know that we will instill discipline and high expectations with consequences. If they want to act like amateurs we'll start paying them like amateurs. I didn't change anything in the second quarter, but I did spend some time with Trey and our Offensive Coordinator on the sideline reminding them that turnovers will be key to our success. Trey seemed to respond well but went back out and threw more INTs. Benching your senior QB is never easy but will be a weekly occurence until he turns things around. I'm not changing starters yet but it's on the agenda for discussion this week.

Q: Coach, Mack Brown is definitely a heisman candidate and clearly your team's offensive MVP so far this year. He's such a different back from backs you've used at previous schools. Can you tell us how you've had to change your offense to work for him?​
    Eyeke: Mack is great. In the past I have always prefer smaller shifty backs ie Jeff Demps.. but I think I may change my mind and go with the power back with a little slower top end speed. Seems linemen can't get out in front of the fast backs nearly as easy and every run is either a touchdown or -3 yards. I'll take Mack's constant 6 yards a carry because I know the other team is going to have to spend extra time in the ice tub after tackling him all day. If I could change anything I would get him more carries than he's getting, but our back up Joey Nixon has been putting in great work at practice trying to overcome some ball handling and pass blocking issues. Expect to see a lot of him in some upcoming blowouts, as all our real competition is behind us.

18. bdub

bdub Walk On

LOL love this sign. I hate Kentucky with a passion.

19. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Some folks are desperate for attention aren't they? [​IMG]

20. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Tigers Take Care of the Dawgs 38-14 in Athens

[​IMG]
    This game was a bit of a sleeper. The LSU Tigers took the first play from scrimmage to the house on a pick 6. From that point on they simply were imposing their will. The running game got going early and often as the Tigers hit gaping holes and chewed up the clock. In the end Coach Easy was just happy to load up the bus and go home for the night.

21. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

FLORIDA COMES UP SHORT AFTER RAIN DELAY CAUSES RESTART

As storms raged, Florida met LSU this weekend in Gainesville. Officials had hoped to finish the game before lightning moved close but were unable to.

The game was called to weather at the start of the 4th Quarter with Florida leading by 7 and having a first and goal inside the 10. The game was an offensive explosion for both teams, with no punts the entire first half and only a fumbled punt catch late in the 3rd by LSU to separate the sides.

After the storms passed, everyone had smoked so much weed they forgot the score so the officials decided to start over.

Things went differently the second time. Florida was unable to score in the first quarter but kicked two field goals and shut out LSUs offense. Florida held a 23-14 halftime lead but came out sluggish after 6 quarters of football had taken their toll. Coach Eyeke's wife came down out of the stands and completely ripped him a new ass, which led to a midfield conference between coaches where everyone agreed on a running clock for most of the 2nd half.

LSU put up 14 in the 3rd and Florida was unable to keep up. Trey Burton threw three INTs and Quinton Dunbar had his Heisman hopes ruined with 1 catch for 17 yards. LSU's tailback Alex Sledge had a great game posting 120 yards including a 43 yard run off left tackle where he straight ran over multiple Florida defenders.

Florida had most of their recruiting class on campus for official visits at the game.
    Coach Eyeke was unavailable for comment, as he was heading to a party where the Gator Girls were being paid extra to try to retain some of the recruits.

22. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

As eyeke said it was a pair of tough games. Basically turnovers made the difference in both contests. I don't have to time to do a full write-up at the moment, so I will wait and see what eyeke does and then go from there.

23. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Gators Slow Cooked in the Swamp 35-30
    Methodical running attack dooms Florida in the second half.
    [​IMG]

For weeks now the Tigers of LSU had to read and listen to the comments of Florida's Coach Eyeke as he tried to motivate his team to play them. "It definitely got under our skin, but coach did a good job of making us channel that aggression towards the field" said Conner Wood after the game. In a game that was wide open early, but tightened up into a defensive, smash-mouth bonanza late; it was the running game of the Tigers that ultimately determined the outcome. With starter Jakari Gore out with a leg injury, and Anthony Ware his backup injured right after half time, it was Alex Sledge who came in and put the game on ice. "Hammer (Sledge's nickname) came in and took it to them, he was running with bad intentions" said Coach Easy. "When ever he gets that look in his eye you know to just feed him the ball, and that is all we did, he made me look like Bill Bellichek today". Ever mindful that he might play these pesky Gators later Coach Easy was quick to compliment his opponent. "They were well prepared, and aside from a couple of great plays by our linebackers and dline they could have won this thing." The SEC can only hope for a rematch because this is one rivalry that is heating up.

24. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

25. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

AVENGED! 38-17
    Tigers defeat OSU in Baton Rogue
    [​IMG]

"Where was this performance in January?" asked a lot of triumphant fans leaving Death Valley on Saturday. For the second time in a calendar year the Ohio State Buckeyes and the LSU Tigers met in a gridiron match up. This time the score was much different. With the rain pouring down and conditions less than ideal for both teams, it was the Tiger's defense that was able to make some key plays en-route to a 14 point performance. "We just got lucky a couple of times," said Coach Easy. "They had some moments where, due to the rain they thought the whistle had blown, and it hadn't and we made a couple of plays. It is unfortunate and you hate to have the game come down to those plays but at least we were on the positive side of them." Conner Wood had a pretty good day in this one, throwing for over 200 yards and hitting Kadron Boone six times for 98 yards. But it was the rushing attack of Anthony Ware that really took over the game. Ware had 156 yards rushing including two huge touchdown runs of over 50 yards, including the second play from scrimmage, that ultimately ensured the Tiger victory.
    Next up for the Tigers are the Rice Owls, then some jokes, then #2 Alabama. Is this the year?

Hats off to Archie who, as always, played a classy game. I am just glad all those RBs took off to the draft.​