2014 Slider Lab

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Nov 18, 2011.

1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

General Stuff:

I think the CPU is a bit too good a passer, but I wouldn't want to change that unless we could really balance the run, which I think they're not quite good enough at.

I also think we need just a bit more pass protection to encourage more passing. I'd like to see a QB in the Heisman race instead of four user HBs and a CPU guy.

But in general, I like the gameplay. Gets tough at times, but I guess that's exactly what it should do. My only wish is that it was possible to lock down defensively on a 3rd and nineteen, at least once in a while. Most of my controller throwing happens when teh CPU throws into the teeth of coverage for a big gain - for the fourth time that game.

2. bdub

bdub Walk On

I agree about the CPU being a hell of a passer, but they do throw at least a pick a game. I think one issue with the CPU not being able to run is there are just not that many good backs. Georgia has a really good HB and he killed me, the dude was spinning out of tackles and running over people, by far the best HB I have played in this dynasty.

3. The Dude

Here's something I was in favor of just before I left, and I'm still in favor of ...

I think Hum Pass Block should be at 100, or very close to it. Here's why:
    1. We don't pass enough. We run, run, run ... period. I don't want a change in coverage, cuz coverage is tough, but fair in my opinion. I think an extra tick of time might loosen things up just enough for us to pass more, especially out of the pro sets. I'd like to see a user QB in the Heisman race, or up for a major award of any kind, just once.
    2. Free rushers - Now, I've been experimenting a lot with pro style PA passing, and here's what I have discovered - even if you only send three guys into the pattern, a five man rush will get home before the PA fake is complete, meaning there's no chance to throw the ball. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens enough to make these play calls a bad idea. I'd like to change that. I'll defer to the coaches here, but it seems to me that max protect has no effect here, or very little. At 100, the extra blitzer is usually picked up even if you send four out, which is about right. All out blitzes still get home no matter what, and max protect usually gives you the time to throw. Guys still throw off blacks and miss assignments, btu they don't do it consistently on every play. It just feels more like football to me, and I think it would open up some books and encourage more passing. Even you shotgun guys would get a chance to execute a PA fake - which I have seen zero highlights of in our four seasons.
    3. Screens and such - we don't use these plays, but if the increase in blocking applies to these plays as well (and I believe it does) then they also become a part of our gameplans. Again, it just plays more like football.
    Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'd love to hear yours, so feel free to play around with it and see what you think.

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

Honestly I use PA 5 or 6 times a game and get big gains on a few. Also the screen game how it is right now works great in my opinion. However I would be in favor of notching up pass protection but only if we make it harder to run.

5. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I've had much better luck of late getting PA plays off (roll-outs and stretches), but I think I'd be okay with these changes for all the reasons 'Dude mentioned. The CPU pass rush is a big part of what makes good CPU teams difficult to beat (and cheese on), so as long as we're not pullin' a 180, I'm game. Like 'Dub said, in addition to this, we should include a boost to the CPU's run defense. Mind including this in your lab work, Arch'? ;-)

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

The key to PA is watching the defense adjust once they bring more people up to the line I audible to PA and normally it works unless they bring the house. The CPU is horrible at disguising their blitzes though so I can usually audible to a screen pass and blow them up.

7. The Dude

We talkin' shotgun, or under center? My experience under center is hugely different. Slip Screens can't be run, and other screens work occasionally, but there's no consistency at all. I can slip screen out of the gun, and I can run PA when I now the D is dropping into coverage, but it feels like there's a free rusher that gets home before you even get a chance to get rid of the ball most of the time. I've never seen a PA over-the-top pass in a highlight, so if someone is using them, I'd like to see it, because I'm not able to do much, at least nothing with better odds than a coin flip, no matter if I call the play at the right time or not.

I'd be OK toughening the run to compensate - maybe better run D and a little worse tackling? It would be nice to shake a guy just once.

I'll toy with it and see what I can do. I like the feel of the game as it is - I'd just like to have a few more options. What I would do - Up CPU running, Up user pass block, slight tick up in CPU run D and Hum pass D or INT (whichever balances the passing game a bit - we never lead the nation in picks, and we haven't won a Thorpe in a long time).

Anyway, that's kinda what I've been thinking.

8. bdub

bdub Walk On

Check my videos from week one against Georgia, PA from under center for a big gain.

9. Goose

Goose Walk On

I was able to hit a few PA's under center against Cinny. The ones that I notice that get blown up are the PA bootleg's the end or blitzing backer just kills it.

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I can hit one over the top with frequency from Ace Bunch PA deep Post or something similar. I typically read middle to deep to drag. It works about 70% of the time with maybe 1 out of 3 going for the bomb. I just haven't had the stud WR to really make the play work by having a beast run the fly on the split end side.

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Also, I just made a major shift in my offense to a more read option style run offense and I am pretty sure these run adjustments will totally f that up. Mind posting the sliders so I can lab some of my zone read?

12. The Dude

Don't have any yet. I thought I'd tweak a bit maybe this evening. I wouldn't want to trash the read. You running it out of the Pistol, or the gun?

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

the off set gun

14. The Dude

That's the best way to do it. try the counter and the QB wrap - both work surprisingly well.

I run this set out of the 4wr trio, when I have a qb with wheels. If the read is your quick audible, you can call the others and run them based on what you see, or audible into the read if it doesn't look right. If you get rid of the PA stuff, most of the time it'll default to the double screen, which is great when they take the run away.

Love this set. I'll make sure not to do anything to take it away - it's one of the only spread sets with multiple run options that work.

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Yeah that is what I'm in. I also like the offset wing. The read is more of a midline qb run but it is deadly. Plus having that te in the h spot is nasty in the flats.

16. Goose

Goose Walk On

Arch, check out my vids from the Boise game. I ran a PA from under center that worked for a nice gain because the backer over ran the qb, then injured him for a couple of plays when he hit Miller clearly late.

17. The Dude

Attribute​
    User​
    CPU​
    QB Accuracy 50 (+10) 40
    Pass Block 75 (+10) 45
    WR Catching 50 (+5) 50
    RB Ability 50 55 (+5)
    Run Block 50 (-10) 55 (+5)
    Pass Coverage 55 30
    Pass Rush 65 15 (-10)
    Iinterceptions 50 25
    Rush Defense 50 45 (+5)
    Tackling 50 50 (+10)
    FG Power 50 50
    FG Accuracy 30 40
    Punt Power 50 50
    Punt Accuracy 50 50

This is my latest batch of tweaks. Here's the idea:

We run all the time. We pass very little, or at least it seems so. Heisman candidates are all running backs, and some of us (myself included) have gone to a platoon system at HB, mostly to mask the huge yards we're racking up. I think this is controlled by the gap between our run block and their run defense - the bigger the gap, the bigger the advantage. Now, I've tried to close that gap from a +20 in our favor, to a +5, and I have also given a +5 to the CPU, along with a +5 in RB ability over our tackling - this combination should lead to a more robust CPU run game. At least that's the theory.

Also, I have bumped the QB acc for users, since even a dumbed down CPU pass D can make plays. I added a +5 to WR catch (so there shoudl be more cool animations and such - one handed catches and all that - and I bumped the User Pass Block and dropped the CPU pass rush, just to open up the occasional downfield in route, fade, comeback, etc., which we don't often get the time to throw right now. I figured that, if the passing numbers skyrocket (and I doubt they will - we're old dogs with habits by now - then we can always bump the pass d in five point increments until we get what we want.

The run game should still be there, I think, but it may no longer be a given that you'll get that 8 yards a carry average every game. Hell, we may even punt a time or two :)

Thoughts? Anyone got time to lab it up a bit?

Note: Both sides gained 25 points, and lost ten. I wasn't shooting for that or anything, but it worked out that way.

18. The Dude

The table didn't post properly. Hope you guys can read that.

19. The Dude

Any thoughts on this guys? Been using these settings on my offline stuff since I posted them, and the change isn't terribly dramatic. Can someone do some labbing for me?

20. egofailure

Did you add this after playing me last season? Didn't see you use this, and I broke it out against you for some key first downs.

21. egofailure

I'll test them and post tonight.

22. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I had it, but never used it against you, I didn't feel comfortable with it yet. I use it all the time now, just ask my SEC bretheren.

23. egofailure

I noticed it in a couple of your videos following our game, but never got around to asking you about it. It's good stuff.

24. The Dude

Cool. I didn't see huge differences, but there is a bit of a change in feel, I think.

25. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Arch,

I use your sliders in my offline dynasty and I dont notice any major problems.