2014 Team Previews

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Boom29, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2014 SEASON PREVIEW
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    To officially kick-off the 2014 After Midnight Dynasty, it is only fitting that a formal introduction be in effect.​
    Tell us about your team and what we can expect to see in the coming years...​
    - What to watch on offense/defense​

- Key offensive/defensive players​

- The season will be a success if...​

- Season outlook/key game(s)​

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Here's some high level thoughts after I had a chance to look at the user rosters today....

1. Boom29 and I could be in trouble. Boise and SMU have easily the worst overall talent on the user squads. Heck, even Cal and UCLA are notably better, especially when looking at young talent on the teams. Average OVR on the top teams (Texas, Oregon, Stanford) is 81-82, most of the other teams are in the 77-79 OVR range, while me and Boom are rocking with rosters that have average OVR talent in the 73-74 range. Whooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. If MexiRican35 doesn't destroy the rest of the Big 12 with the always overrated Texas team he has then he should never show his face to the hot Austin women ever again. That team is loaded at every position, and his recruiting advantage should only increase the talent gap after a couple of seasons.

3. The Big 12 North is gonna be tough, since the only bad CPU team is Kansas. KSU and OU are both at least as good, if not better than, the 3 user teams in division. Me, Wyrmreaver and SatansAngel1104 better figure out how to deal with the CPU quickly or it could get ugly.

4. The most interesting division is definitely the Pac 12 North (I'm assuming Jayrah and Cal are getting moved to the South?). Oregon and Stanford are tied with Texas as the most stacked user rosters, and Washington is right behind them talent wise, and whygodwhy1111 is whygodwhy1111.....'nuff said. History shows that Cheez and bringbackjimmy better take down WGW before he figures the game and recruiting out, otherwise they'll constantly be battling for 2nd place.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Arizona Team Preview
    Offense- Arizona is expected tog give their best player HB Ka'Deem Carey a lot. We expect to see some option concepts out of the pistol, but getting Carey 20-25 touches per game is the key.

QB Dilemma- We had 4 guys rated 80 or 81 and chose the scrambling redshirt freshman, Javelle Allen. Former USC QB Jesse Scroggins lost in spring practice and will be 2nd string, which may get him a quick nod if Allen doesn't perform.

All About Ka'Deem- Carey had burning speed combined with power and agility. He is easily the best player on this team (94) and Arizona will look to get him the ball, and often. With the new blocking/tackling engine, I'm excited to get to use him. With a bunch of garbage backups, Carey's workload may be huge. And an injury could be catastrophic.

Wide Receiver Situation- Arizona has one WR that would be considered good in the Pac-12 in Austin Hill. Hill is 6'3" and will be a target if teams key too hard on Ka'Deem Carey. After that there is not much talent, meaning without an experienced QB, Arizona won't want to drop back to pass too often. Hill should have a lot of big plays, but the corps overall isn't spactacular.

O-Line- The O-Line is not too special but there are no huge weak spots to speak of. With option concepts, some of the choices will be made by the defense. If they can block well enough, Carey could be able to run for 1500+ yards.

Arizona Defense: 4-3

D-Line: Senior DE Justin Washington is the star of the line and is a key cog in the run stopping game. Aside from him, there aren't any stars. DT Sione Tuihalamaka will be needed to play well if this line expects to stop the run.

Linebackers: I'll be usering Jake Fischer at MLB, and he is the best player on this defense, rated 89. He should have a big year, but his 2 OLB's aren't that special, including Sir Thomas Jackson who has a cool name.

DB's: Jonathan McKnight is a shutdown corner with great speed and will be able to match up with anybody. But other than that, Arizona's defensive are all mediocre, meaning Arizona will probably have to play aggressive or play off teams to avoid big passes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  4. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

I just finished my first year of recruiting in my test dynasty. It's even hard for Texas. I lost a TE to Rice and a DE to Akron :eek:. Both guys we're :4stars:I believe. I'll even have to take a walk on at K. Lost out to my initial K to Bama, and my backup option didn't sign with anyone (went after him too late).

The thing that makes a difference is the visits. You could be down 1500 points, have an awesome visit, and be right back in the thick of things, or 1st, right after a visit. Having the last visit makes a huge difference, and the cpu knows this and will schedule week 14 as soon as the prospect is ready.

I finished with 11 guys I went after, with the cpu signing 5 more guys. #16 ranked class. I forgot to look who was the top 5 teams and how many prospects they signed and what caliber. Users are not gonna be good at recruiting until you build you're tree up.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Boise St Team Preview

Offense - There are some skill position guys on the roster who should be able to make some noise. QB Joe Southwick (90 OVR RS Senior) is a solid but not spectacular QB. He's not an elite athlete, but he has enough wheels to be able to run some option. He doesn't have an NFL arm, but it's good enough to make most throws. He has two good receiving targets in WR Matt Miller (90 OVR RS JR) and TE Holden Huff (80 OVR Sophomore). Amazingly, Huff is a better athlete than two of the teams top 3 WR's and he should be a frequent target in the passing game. Sophomore HB Jay Ayaji is the key to the offense however. An 85 OVR power back with really good speed, his ability to pick up yards on the ground will be a big part of the teams offense. The issue on this team is really the OL, both this year as they are not up to the level of the skill position talent, and in the future, where the cupboard is basically bare. 4 of the 5 OL starters are seniors, and the remaining guys on the roster are pretty pathetic (two guys rated 72 and 73, the rest are in the low 60's). The team better do well this year and I better get lucky with some recruits because year 2 could be very painful for the offense.

Defense - Where to begin? The DL isn't very good. There is one good LB and no depth. Our top 4 corners include 2 guys rated 65 and 64 OVR. Ohhh boy. I'm going to be forced to run a hybrid defense if only because my backup SS is one of the top 3 rated guys in my back 7. Needless to say I feel great about how I'm going to fare defensively. ;)

Prediction - Wow, I know I'll be accused of sandbagging, but Boise has the 2nd worst user roster, I'm in a division with Wyrmreaver and SatansAngel1104 will be looking for revenge for my crazy last second wins against him in 2013. Combine that with CPU Oklahoma and Kansas St and Texas with MexiRican35 down south and a potential week 1 loss to whygodwhy1111 and it won't shock me if I go 6-6 or worse this year. But hey, the administration told me they expect me to win 10 games a year so it's all good baby!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

Cal Preview

Offense: The offense is going to be a very interesting mix to say the least. In the first year of Jayrah's spread attack, the quarterback duties will be given to redshirt freshman Zach Kline. His sophomore receiving trio of Treggs, Harper and Harris are more than serviceable and speedy senior Brendan Bigelow is the workhorse out of the backfield.

The issue is going to be on the offensive line, where the Bears are extremely young. They should be very good in 2-3 seasons but for now it's going to be growing pains if Kline holds the ball too long. Expect a shorter, ball controlled passing game rather than the wide open down the field stuff that Jayrah generally likes doing.

Key Player: RB #5 Brendan Bigelow - Bigelow's breakaway abilities will finally be on full display after sitting behind guys his entire career. He'll need to have a major impact out of the backfield in the passing game.

Defense: The defense is fairly solid at spots but will be undermanned against the offenses the Pac-12 South will throw at it. ASU, Arizona, UCLA and USC are going to really challenge an inconsistent secondary while Cheez and Stanford will try and break the will of a good, not spectacular front-7.

Key Player: MLB #1 Nick Forbes - It will be up to Forbes to get his team lined up correctly and make the key reads. He'll be 1 of only 3 seniors who will get any significant time on the field and needs to have a big impact in his final season.

Defining Success: It's hard to define a successful campaign for California without beating the Stanford Cardinal, but with the move to the South makes it a lot easier to forgive that loss should it occur. Cal is certainly not up to the caliber in their defensive front to be able to match Stanford so one could probably assume that despite all the trash talk, guarantees and general rivalry gossip that the Cardinal will bury the Bears to end the season. Likewise, Ohio State and Oregon's speed should dispose of the Bears much like they did last season. With that in mind the focus then moves to the South opponents that the Bears will face and a dangerous Northwestern squad to begin the season.

If the Bears can beat Colorado, Portland State and Washington State that leaves them with 6 other winnable contests to get three wins. Washington and UCLA (both on the road), Arizona, Northwestern, Oregon State and USC (all at home) will define this Bears team. Realistically, championship contention is probably at least 3 years away, so a 7-6 record should qualify for a successful 2013 campaign, though Cal fans will probably vie for 9 wins AND a win over the hated Cardinal to cap the regular season.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  7. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

- What to watch on Offense:
    You better get that clockwork orange machine if you want to see the ducks offense, because if you blink for a second all you will see is the XP. Marcus Mariota leads the high octane nascar style offense going into just his 2nd year starting. Proven a winner and a leader in a short time look for him and Black Mamba De'Anthony Thomas to run circles on opposing teams defenses.

-What to watch for on Defense
    The ducks front four is big and scary that will keep QB's up at night checking their bedroom closets hoping there is a monster to take them away. The Ducks will be running a 4-3 that will hopefully thrive on TO caused by panicked QB's that throw into a secondary of ball hawks.

- Key offensive/defensive players
    On Offense the key player is De'Anthony Thomas who should be a heisman favorite all year. Thomas is one of if not the most talented player in the game at the moment, but might be the best JR ever in NCAA on the offensive side. Coach BBJ already has stated that DT is not his starting HB, but is now placed in that role of Offensive weapon. Look for coach BBJ to get the ball to DT any way possible.

On Defense the key player(s) will be LE Tony Washington and RE Taylor Hart. The keys to this defense rely on them setting the tone and getting pressure on the QB. Those might be the key players for this defense, but opposing teams need to watch for backup end Christian French. French a converted TE is a physical freak at end with great ball skills and a 89 jmp that will make it even harder to get it over his 6'5" frame.
    - The season will be a success if...
    Were holding the glass football at the end of the yr anything less will be deemed a failure in the eyes of duck nation. To get there we have to keep DT healthy and active. The biggest thing is to not be taken out of the game by minor setbacks.

- Season outlook/key game(s)
    The Biggest game has to be whygodwhy1111 because as a great man once said before hit the eventual rock bottom

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG]

2014 Team Preview

With the arrival of coach Akai Boom, the Southern Methodist University Mustangs look to continue their climb into respectability. However, it won't be easy as their entry into the competitive Big 12 signals the return of some old rivals.

Offense
    The Mustangs will look to put the ball in the air early and often, utilizing four Wide Receivers on most plays. However, don't mistake this team for Oregon, as the offense will be tailored to control the ball, not score quickly. Leading the charge will be rSR QB Garrett Gilbert, who after a few tumultuous seasons at Texas, has found comfort. Gilbert can be streaky at times, but when he is on, can make all the throws to a bevy of capable wide receivers led by rJR Der'rikk Thompson. The most important task, however, falls to the offensive line which will be charged with protecting Gilbert. The line provides a mixture of experience and youth that will hopefully keep Gilbert upright. SR LT Ben Gottschalk is the leader of the bunch and the top pass blocker on the squad.

Defense
    The SMU defense will transition from the 3-4 to the 4-2-5 in coach Boom's first year at the helm. While the defense is the weak unit of the Mustangs, expect them to especially struggle in the early going while they pick up the system. Overall, the unit is devoid of play makers and will rely on bending but not breaking. If there is one bright spot for the defense, is that they are young at all three levels which should bode well for the Mustangs defense a few years down the road. Look for rSR SS Jay Scott to be the start of the defense. The switch to the 4-2-5 will highlight his ability to tackle and cover.

The Season Will be a Success If...the Mustangs can end the season with a .500 record. Not only is the conference change a big step in competition, but the roster itself is one of the least talented in the conference. Luckily for coach Boom, his seven year contract lessens the need for a fast start...at least until a few years down the road.

Outlook
    With all the changes abound, expect SMU to hover around the .500 mark all season before falling short, 5-7.

9. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

Oklahoma St Team Preview

Offense - With their Air Raid offense we look to throw and throw often. With a little mix of some option runs. Clint Chelf is fairly average for Coach Sangel's liking but he should get the job done. I expect to have a good passing year, maybe high INTs as we learn coverages. Short and steady attack as usual.

Defense - With running throw a practice season with the squad, we're not expecting much. We get rare pressure and cant stop the CPU passing. Could take a bit for the defense to gel. The defensive line is pretty weak this year, we will need strong LB play. The secondary has 1 good Corner but does have decent safeties. Sangel brings to Ok St. his 4-2-5 defense so this could work well, except for the DL.

Prediction - Wish I could guess at this but i cant see my own schedule on the wire. Just Booms

10. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

TCU Horned Frogs Team Preview

Offense: Look for Senior QB Casey Paschall to dominate the statline for this offense. A dual threat at QB, Paschall will be given the opportunity for plenty of carries in the run game as well as a chance to put up numbers passing as well. Another key player offensively will be WR Brandon Carter, who will be the top target when Paschall airs the ball out.

Defense: On the defensive end Seniors Jason Verrett and Elisha Olabode will anchor the secondary and look to keep opposing wideouts in check, while Sophmore sensation Devonte Fields will look to get into the backfield and wreak havoc on opposing quarterbacks.

Prediction: Look for the Horned Frogs to have a solid year but fall short to some of the bigger opponents, I would see an 8-4 year as a minor success and 10-2 as the best possible outcome.

11. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

[​IMG]
    2013 Texas Longhorns
    Overview: Ex coach Mack Brown had a heart attack from eating too many corndogs at the state fair after getting brutally beaten by OU. In steps alum Coach Mexi, who looks to turn things around for the Longhorns. Since the National Championship appearance in '09, it's been rough for the faithful fans in Austin. But, each year the team has gotten better. The next step: winning the Big XII and making a BCS bowl. The pieces are in place to do so. What has been a very young team now turns into an experienced team over the course of an offseason. Players have been starting since their freshman year are now seasoned juniors and seniors.​
    Offense: At QB, Ash is the most experienced QB in the Big XII. Coach Mexi wont be using the carousel of Ash one game and McCoy another game (Mack must have thought that Colt was still playing). Ash is the go to guy. He has a good arm which is getting better. His speed makes him an asset in the run game, but still is poor at throwing on the run.​
    The backfield is loaded with talent, which is great for the One Back offense. HB Gary got lots of playing time last year as a true freshman, and will be the starter. Brown has been hampered by injuries lately, but is a big back who can move. Once inside the 5, expect a heavy does of Bergeron coming straight downhill. Johnson will be used as a scat back in certain formations.​
    Davis will be a down field threat while Shipley is more of a consistent target. Jones and Sanders will need to make the tough catches if they expect to remain in the slots.​
    The line is very experienced with 4 seniors and 1 junior. The only concern for this year and next is the lack of quality depth.​
    Defense: DE Jeffcoat looks to recover from last years' injuries and cause havoc in the backfield. All 4 lineman are great at pass rushing.​
    The LB's get MLB Hicks back from injury, as he was surely missed last season. Playing their assignments will be a key part of their success.​
    CB Byndom is a savoy senior while on the other side Thomas has the potential to be great. Both Diggs and Phillips are great safeties, but will have to improve on tackling.​
    Keys: Don't turn the ball over. Ash has to improve on lowering his interception total from last year. If the offense can keep the ball and score points, the defense can turn to their 4 man pass rush. On the defensive side, poor tackling was their Achilles's heel. Not allowing yards after contact will be critical.​
    Outlook: The Big XII welcomes back the conference championship game with the addition of Boise St and SMU to the conference. The South is winnable as OU and OSU go to the north in place of Iowa St. Revenge games will be against TCU and WVU, both who beat Texas last year. Garret Gilbert, who was a true freshman playing for the Longhorns back in the championship game against Bama, will now be facing the Longhorns as an SMU player. Early tests against Stanford and Arizona will show if this team can play for more than just a Big Xii title.​