2014 Team Previews

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by HotRod, Sep 18, 2012.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

We lose 3 big cogs in the offense with the departures of QB Connor Shaw, HB Marcus Lattimore and WR Ace Sanders. The big three put together a great season to lead the South Carolina Gamecocks to their first national championship. This year some of the guys that played behind them as well as some new young talent will be looking to keep the offense performing at a high level.

Redshirt Junior Tanner McEvoy takes over at QB. He has plenty of experience filling in whenever Shaw went down with an injury. He isn't the runner that Shaw is so he will do most of his work from the pocket. The Gamecocks will be using a dual running back attack this year as each guy brings something different. Redshirt junior Brandon Wilds will be the main back in under center formations as he has a straight ahead running style to have success in between the tackles. Meanwhile redshirt freshman Cedric Butler will be used as a Darren Sproles type back mainly playing in shotgun to get him in space to make guys miss. He isn't built to be an every down back but he can have a big impact as a change of pace. SR Damiere Byrd and Redshirt SO Shaq Wilson are the starting wideouts while Bruce Ellington will be the slot man. These three possess track speed and will be dangerous after the catch. TE Cory Grigbsy is not to be forgotten as he put together a solid campaign last year and is a dangerous weapon as well. The O-line is returning four starters led by RT Mike Matulis.

[​IMG]

It will be a change in defensive philosophy this year as the Gamecock switch to a 3-3-5 defense. Up front Jadeveon Clowney will be manning the RE position for his 4th season. He was a terror last season tallying 11 sacks and attracting a lot of attention from the O-line. Senior DT Kelcy Quarles will be the nose tackle and freshman Anthony Clark is the other DE. This is a strong D-line that will provide a big push to allow the linebackers to make plays.

Speaking of which, we have a deep linebacker group. ROLB Adam Tolbert was last years Nagurski Award winner as he notched 13 sacks. MLB Mason Harris is a rangy player who is quick to the ball carrier and solid in coverage. LOLB Billy Mcrae is a JUCO transfer who is excellent in pursuit and one of the best pass rushing LBs in the country. We also have two freshmen that will be seeing time in different packages like a 3-4 or a 5 linebacker 3-5-3 look.

In the defensive backfield Victor Hampton returns as a starting corner, he had an excellent junior season hauling in 5 interceptions. True sophomore Darren Drew gets the starting job as the other corner beating out fellow Soph John Newby. There will be 3 safeties on the field at times. Dane King and Brison Williams are returning starters from last season while true freshman Terrence Patterson will be playing FS which is like a centerfielder position in this defense.

This is a big change on defense but we feel that it is a perfect fit with our personnel. I know the saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it but South Carolina is always looking to evolve and look forward to seeing this defense at work hopefully to contribute to another national championship.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Talent-wise NC State is looking at a down year, although they do have some talent at some of the skill positions. We will be starting 3 freshman this year which will prove valuable for the future.

Offense - We have 3 players that need to step up big, HB Tony Creecy, QB Tyler Brosius, and WR Brent Underwood. All are seniors that have the talent to carry us in big games. Creecy has always had the talent, but we haven't gotten big numbers out of him. Hopefully that changes. Brosius missed half a season last year and needs to stay healthy and reduce the number of turnovers. INT's killed us last year and beleive we can get a little more conservative maybe start contending with the likes of Maryland and Georgia Tech.

Defense - We took a huge hit in the secondary, graduating 3 starters including Dave Amerson. Our recruiting failed in bringing in any long-term answers at CB, but we did manage a couple of JUCO corners in the offseason that can serve as a stop-gap solution for now. FR(r) Tony King is a speed deamon who is the new starting SS. We expect big things out of him. The strength of the defense is Dline. Art Norman had 15.5 sacks a season ago, and we need similar pressure to help out the secondary. Inside is a pair of monster DT's who should produce pressure and blow up the run.

Outlook - I think this team is good for 8-9 wins but tough user games with BC, NC, Tennessee, and Maryland along with CPU opponents Florida State and USC.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Boston College was happy to see they finished out the 2013 year ranked. That was huge for recruiting purposes but in the hopes that this program will get to newfound places as a powerhouse.

The next step is to sustain success. Now this team isn't as talented as last year's team, and that team went 7-5. But the key from last year was that this team never quit. They weren't blown out and was in every game, which is key. They have upgraded in a few areas, primarily the backups improving ten-fold but have to worry about some youth playing in key spots for this team.

OFFENSIVELY
    The story here is the new QB Josh Bordener, who has been sitting behind QB's for years and now it's his chance, and he has one of the better arms since Matt Ryan was here. He has the ability to fit the ball in small windows, something that last year's QB, Chase Rettig couldn't do. They are relying on his decision making and passing ability to bring along a WR corps that's rather lacking in elite talent and is VERY YOUNG. SR Spiffy Evans is the leader of this offense and the teams receiving playmaker on the outside. Starting alongside him is true FR WR Jason Hill, a very talented 6'3", 210lb WR who came into the program as an ATH. He's showed that he can make plays and was really one of the gems from the last recruiting class. The other key components on this offense are TE Brian Miller (led the team in receptions last two years) and now starting RB Tahj Kimble. Kimble is the team's best threat to make plays and his speed and big play ability will see him line up all over the field. The belief is to get Kimble at least 25 touches a game to get the most out of his ability. The offensive line isn't as talented as last year as they lose a key cog at the center spot but the line overall is solid across the board.

DEFENSIVELY
    BC's defense last year was reliant on the stellar trio at LB. Now with two of the 3 gone, it will rely more on the secondary which is this year's strength. SR-FS Sean Sylvia leads a pretty talented secondary which features 6'2" CB Al Louis Jean, a playmaking CB who can change a game around at any time. The aformentioned LB corps is down to MLB turned OLB Sean Duggan, a rugged LB who will be asked to take on a significant role making the calls for the defense but to get some inexperienced LB mates into position to make plays for this team. Down on the line features DT Dominic Appiah, a future NFL DT who anchors a front 4 that hopes to be just as disruptive as last year's team.

CONCLUSION
    The coaching staff has installed a new offense which feels is more player friendly and more for the team to make big plays down the field and to spread the field a bit more. With Bordener now at QB, the staff feels the playbook can be fully utilitzed even with some youth at the WR spot. And the defense just needs to stay solid and we feel we can improve to a 8-9 win team.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

[​IMG]

Offense:

QB
    Jameill Showers returns for one last crack at a Heisman and National Championship. He already has an SEC title and that will be goal #1 again. He has developed into an elite Quarterback and looks to improve upon a lack-luster statistical season last year. Backing him up is a talented and very capable John Manziel, and at #3 is a highly touted Freshman who has been dubbed "QB of the future" for A&M.

RB
    Brandon Williams takes over the reigns at RB and should terrorize defenses. He has incredible speed and good size. He has seen spot duty as a #2 and #3 RB as well as returning kicks. Former :5stars: prospect Trey Williams will spell the Oklahoma transfer.

FB
    Larry Cruz came in as the nation's #1 FB and has locked up the starting job for the foreseeable future.

WR
    The young WR corps is coming along nicely. Mike Evans looks to have a breakout year this time as coaches have mentioned a commitment to the passing game. Malcolm Kennedy will hold down the #2 slot and Thomas Johnson will operate out of the slot once again. Behind them, two true Sophomore vie for the #4 and #5 spots.

TE
    All three TEs on the TAMU roster are big, and threats in the passing game. Coach Max has basically ignored the TE position in the past and despite his best efforts to get them involved, the position remains more dedicated to blocking than anything else.

OL

(OVR from LT to RT) 86-89-88-93-83

Garrett Gramling's move to Center bolsters a decent looking OL. The interior are all Seniors and absolutely blew OU's DL off the line in their first game.

Defense:

DE
    Two underachieving Seniors will start on the edges. Gavin Stansbury started last year, while Big Ben Alexander finally gets the nod in his final season. The real excitement at the position is the young talent waiting in the wings. We will see what they can do in garbage time. RS Freshman Gabriel Green is an interesting prospect at 6'7 264lb

DT
    Almost a position of strength for the Ags, the Defensive Tackles have definitely improved under Coach Max. Freshman All-American Roderick Thomas returns and looks to disrupt opponents OL's once again.

OLB
    Donnie Watkins, another Freshman All-American, will start again opposite Senior Tyrell Taylor. Watkins was a beast last year and has already caught the eyes of a number of NFL scouts. They love his size and speed combo (6'5 226lb).

MLB
    Was he a Freshman last year? Did he start? Then he was a Freshman All-American. Brad Harper is the heart of this defense as evidenced by his 90+ yd FR-TD against OU.

CB
    The two sophomores that started for Coach Max when he got here are now Seniors that play at a high level. True Sophomore CB Joe Huffman has already worked his way into the Nickel and the Dime has been locked down by a true Freshman.

FS
    David Craig played very well last year, but he was beat out by true Freshman Joe Webb in the offseason. Coaches are pleased with this position and confident enough to start any of them.

SS
    Howard Matthews gets one last crack at starting S. He is backed up by another Senior, Clay Honeycutt. talented Joe Turner is redshirting and will definitely start next year.

PK
    Drew Kaser showed major improvement this offseason and will takeover Kicking duties in addition to Punting.

PR/KR
    Running back Trey Williams will handle all KR/PR responsibilities.

Season Outlook:

Looking at a 10-2 type season I think. We want to get back into the SEC Championship and that means taking care of business vs. Miss St and Arkansas.

• Like Like x 1
  5. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Offense:
    We tried something different in the spring but have decided to just stick with our same offense. Synjn Days is back again. We wish we didn't have to play him but he will start. Freshman Quentin Cook will also be rotated in some. He has a good mixture of speed and toughness we like at qb. Our backfield is the strong point on this offense. Tony Zenon is the best of the bunch and will be leaned on. We actually a good group of WRs this season. None of them are very flashy but they are all big targets and catch the ball well. The O-line lost three starters from last season. We are extremely young up front but they are all further along in their development than any group we have ever coached.

Defense:
    We are switching defenses this season. We are moving to the 3-3-5. We were at a 3-3-5 convention when the coach from South Carolina came strolling in. We haven't really been able to recruit great lbs at Georgia Tech so far and we have better secondary players on this team. We are very interested to see how this will play out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Mississippi State Bulldogs - 2014 Season Preview

Offensive Playbook: Mississippi State
    Defensive Playbook: 4-3

Mississippi State was a very streaky team in 2013. The Bulldogs started off the season losing 2 of 3, but went on to 7 games in a row. That streak came to an end against Arkansas. This sent the team into a tail spin and they never recovered. The Bulldogs lost 3 of the last 4 games including the SEC Championship game and the Capital One Bowl.

This season MSU hopes to perform better in big games, but there are a lot of question marks. The big question is at quarterback. Two year starter James Russelll moved on to pumping gas so the QB may be split between 2 players. Dak Prescott will see the bulk of the playing time but redshirt-freshman J.J. Pruitt will also get some playing time. Pruitt has questionable passing accuracy but is a better athlete than Prescott. Running back is probably the Bulldogs' greatest strength with four standout players. Nick Griffin is one of the best players on the team. Wide receiver is a question mark but the issue is lessened by the strength at tight end. Joe Morrow is the fastest starter on the offense so he will be the deep man. The offensive line is replacing many starters but this is still a solid group. There is good depth along the o-line this season.

On defense the strength may be at cornerback, which is a change from last season. Jamerson Love is a solid #1 CB and he has seen a lot of playing time the past 2 seasons. LSU transfer Dwayne Thomas will assume the other starting role. Last year's #2 and #3 CB fall back a spot for each player. CB Kennard Horne is better suited as a #3 CB at this point. Linebacker is the big question mark, aside from returning MLB Ferlando Bohanna. The defensive line is solid but not spectacular. The group is lacking a dominant pass rusher and does not have great speed on the edges.

Once again the Bulldog's face one of the nation's toughest schedules. This is mostly due to playing in the SEC West. Non-conference games against #9 Georgia Tech and #6 Iowa will also be very challenging games. The week 8-13 stretch will determine how this season goes for MSU. There are no easy games during that stretch.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Offense:
    UNC doesnt really lose much on the offensive or defensive side of the ball for the first 3 years it seems. Renner graduated and will be replaced by Marquise Williams. Solid arm and solid speed. Bernard decided to come back for his senior year and is a 99 ovr. All my junior WR's decided to come back from last year which was really unexpected. We prepared for the future however and were able to redshirt all 4 of the freshman WR's we recruited. Our OL is still young and improving. 3 sophomores are going into their second year of starting.

Defense:
    Not much to say here. Not a lot of star power. Both of our safeties are good aswell as our linebackers. The DL is formidable enough to get an occasional sack or two a game. The LB's are quick as always. If I don't have fast linebackers on D I might as well not even play, it is vital to my teams success.

Awesome preview concluded.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

HotRod - You get an "A" for creativity, I like that... Gold star! As for that team, that's disgusting. Must be tough running a program where it's complete and utter failure anytime you don't go undefeated. :D. I'd hate to be a reporter covering Alabama.. "Hey coach, now that Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson are both gone, how does the HB situation look?" - 'better than ever'

Ceewo - Do you think you will be able to get this team where it needs to go in terms of recruiting really good players and getting the squad to the promised land? I think it will be interesting playing without Amerson... Was he always pretty much a shut-down guy similar to how I experienced, or did it come and go? Is he the best DB you've ever had on an NCAA dynasty league squad?

Mogriffjr - Good preview. I feel like we were a little like you last year, we were in most games except for maybe the Ga Tech game after halftime when it was clear to me that it just wasn't my day... But we didn't finish ranked despite going 8-5... If you could recruit a stud (80 OVR or higher) at any position this season to help the program continue to build, what position would it be?

MaxATX34 - Nice preview, too bad we can't really see many ratings with this, but then again, nothing is really stopping me from going to the dynasty wire and looking at the squad... Which I guess I'll do now because I want to see how Cruz turned out... Ok why didn't Manziel get a look this year... He's just not fast enough? Are you redshirting Henry? OK Cruz is pretty solid, more of a blocker but a very, very good one potentially. Probably should have redshirted him for maximum effect, because you know a guy like a FB ain't gonna go pro.

smlVICTORIES53 - Don't wear yourself out with the team previews brah... (haha jk) . I'm guessing one of those two younger QB's will take that job at some point, although for your offense in particular, size and toughness is a little more important than all-out speed. Zenon is going to be tough, does it ever frustrate you running that offense that it's not always possible to get it to the #1 HB as many times as you might like, or is that a misconception?

bravejaf - I have to admit I would be licking my chops if I saw that QB lineup, kind of like I was a couple years ago when mboda's starter was out... Compounding that is the lack of of clear-cut studs at WR. That Iowa game on the schedule was a tough one. I don't like to mess with the mid-season schedule too much unless it puts some crappy FCS team in there... But I double-peeped that one.

Gravity - I agree with that statement about the LB's... If you are making good reads with the ball you are very tough, but I think of all the people in the leauge the quality of your play varies the most from week to week, maybe it is a concentration thing. After getting zero really good efforts against you the first few times we ever played, last year you were unstoppable. I don't think it's so much about the players so no personnel questions from me. That would be cool to see that evolve in the future but not something I can legislate. Between you, the hit stick demon, and our two resident practice mode phenoms I'm always on my toes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Awesome stuff. Do you have a template for the depth chart?

11. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Hellisan

With the playbook I have I can get him the ball more. Sims was such a beast last year he was subbed in a lot of the spots where zenon would have been. Size means squat in this game. Cook looks to be the front runner right now for the future. His arm is serviceable and he has more hb-like attributes.

12. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Ceewo - Do you think you will be able to get this team where it needs to go in terms of recruiting really good players and getting the squad to the promised land? I think it will be interesting playing without Amerson... Was he always pretty much a shut-down guy similar to how I experienced, or did it come and go? Is he the best DB you've ever had on an NCAA dynasty league squad?

Hellisan

Amerson was a beast and by far the best corner I have ever had on my team. He had games where he would dominate and other games that were kind of quiet. The quiet games seemed to be when the opposing QB did not throw his way. I realize this season how spoiled I was in the secondary. I am having to adjust some coverages because the guys I have are not covering like I need. Recruiting is tough. South Carolina seems to be on the list of every player I am on, and even though I have the program up to 5 stars, The pitches are not where they need to be to bring in the top talent. So far I have had to search for some gems. Last years class was much better than my first year, but you guys are tough. Definitely know what you are doing when it comes to recruiting. I feel like I am playing catch-up in this area.

13. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Thanks. I kind of rushed through it (hence the limited ratings). To answer a few questions...

Manziel is great, but Showers will just run away from defenders in the option game (even fast DBs) and I want to get him some redemption for last year's statistical blunders. Having a QB like Johnny Football back there allows me to be a little more reckless with Showers in the running game. I am looking forward to next year when Manziel starts though.

I am not redshirting Henry. He and Manziel will share mop-up duty. Henry has played great so far too. He is 8/9 142yd 1TD 0INT. If I lose him next year, I will hopefully still have Lee (who needed a RS much more than Henry anyway) and he looks just as dynamic, only in a different way.

Cruz was better than Parrish so I started him. Parrish is kind of a freak though and I agree Cruz could have used a redshirt, but hopefully I'll luck out into getting another good FB soon and I can redshirt the new guy.

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Virginia has a nice team

15. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

[​IMG]
    2014 Arkansas Razorbacks
    Offense: The offense goes as far as a QB will take them. Questions abound after the Razorbacks dismal 8-5 season last year and changes will be made if improvement isn't shown.
    QB: RS JR (88) Brandon Allen will be the starter this season for the Razorbacks. A very solid overall QB, he will mainly be asked not to turn the ball over and hand the ball off totheir 4 RBs that will be utilized this season. RS JR Davis McElroy will be the backup this year.​
    HB: 4 HBs will be used throughout the season to save the wear and tear of the physical SEC. The starter will be SR Kodi Walker, the Cannonball, who will pound a defense into submission and score alot of TDs in the red zone. SO Antonio Sharpe will back up Walker and RS SO Jonathon Williams may lay claim to the starting job if Walker falters. JR JUCO Julius Freeman will also see some carries. RS SR FB Morgan Linton will block and get an occasional run here and there.​
    WR: The "Three Amigos" are gone but there is some talent waiting in the wings. RS JR Eric Hawkins and SO Arnold Alexander will be the starting duo and SO Kelvin Price and SO Matt Stevens will be he slot and 4 receivers in those sets. The TE is RS JR Demetrius Dean, with FR Duane Phillips being the blocking TE.​
    OL: Strongest area of the team. The LT will be SR Brey Cook, backed up by SO Andrew Harrison. RT will be manned by RS JR Austin Beck, whose backup is FR Zach Freeman. The LG will be RS JR Marcus Danenhouer, who is backed up by RS SR Luke Charpentier, The C will be RS SO Jeremy Ward although Charpentier may start. The RG will be SR Mitch Smother, backed up by FR Walter Hopkins.​
    Defense:
    DL: The DEs will be SO LE Steven Duckett and the RE will be SR Trey Flowers. The DEs spot will be backed up by RS JR Darrell Thomas. The DTs this season will be SO Donnie Hall and RS FR Ben Bradley. They will be backed by SO Clayton DeLuca.
    LB: The OLB positions will be manned by MSU transfer Chris Holmes and FR Dan Andrews. They will be backed up by SO Steve Powell. The MLB will be RS SR Braylon Mitchelland SR Rufus Stewart. Their backup is FR Edwin Spencer.​
    Secondary: ?? abound at this position. The CBs will be Tevin Mitchell and Daylon McKinney. The FS will be RS FR Gordon Babcock and SS will be Alan Turner. CB Thomas Martin will be the NB but much after those 5 is unknown.​
    Special Teams:
    The K will be FR Luke Lloyd and the P will be Jamal Glover. The RS will be WR's Alexander and Stevens and HB Jon Williams.​
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

For once I do not have the lowest rated user team in the SEC :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Hellisan

That's a great question. Based upon what I feel maybe best, getting a stud QB would be so ideal right now. I've been throwing with a 83 Tha QB in Rettig last year and bordner's 87 Tha feels like a world of a difference. If I can get a kid that I know will progress into a star, I believe I can compete with anyone. The RB and WR spot I have some decent kids who are mostly possession types but I just look to what I can do to get them in the best positions to succeed. I got some decent RB's with good speed I can use as scat backs. But the more I play it's hugely important to get a QB. Hoping I can land him in this class.