2014 TLY Mock Draft

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by HotRod, Oct 2, 2013.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

It's never too early to prognosticate first round draft picks so this is the first version of my mock draft based on records through week 7. This mock draft is in no way an indication of my knowledge of the actual player ratings since I haven't really scouted by a mock draft based on team needs and my familiarity of the coaches and their schemes. Without further ado...

1. Giants: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    Needs: G, DE, OLB MLB

The Giants are in bad shape right now two year removed from a Super Bowl win. While Jason Pierre-Paul is heading into the prime of his career, Justin Tuck is declining and hasn't been a factor for a couple seasons now. Clowney has been projected to be the number one pick since he was a sophomore, no reason for the Giants to pass up on this freak and put him alongside one of the best DEs in the game.

2. Colts: De'Anthony Thomas, HB, Oregon
    Needs: HB, RG, DT, OLB

The Colts need to give Andrew Luck more toys on offense, so why not take a player who looks like he's out of a video game? Thomas, one of the most dynamic players in college football would give Luck a weapon in the backfield. While this may be early for Thomas, we feel that it's time for the Colts to get a back who can make plays, maybe in the vein of a Marshall Faulk.

3. Chargers: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    Needs: QB, WR, G, T, FS

Chargers decided to end the Phillip Rivers era at the onset of the new ownership. While they have been starting unknown QB Matt Blanchard, he is clearly not the solution long term. With the upcoming opening of a new stadium in San Diego, they need their 1st round pick to be someone to excite the fan base. Look no further than the controversial Johnny Manziel. We all know about his offseason transgressions but there is no denying he is a playmaker and that is something that the Chargers desperately need.

4. Cardinals: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    Needs: QB, HB, LT, SS

Arizona is another team looking to score with a QB. They haven't had any luck at the position since the retirement of Kurt Warner. I see the Cardinals taking Teddy Bridgewater here. A lot of experts have Bridgewater as the #1 QB in this draft class and he would be a great fit for the Cards. Larry Fitzgerald would be the happiest man in this situation as he's had some pretty crappy QBs throwing to him for several seasons now.

5. Packers: Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M
    Needs: T, DT, MLB

It is surprising that the Packers are in this position at this point in the season. Their struggles can be tied to some offensive line woes, particularly at right tackle. Jake Matthews, son of hall of famer Bruce Matthews would be a great addition to the Packers O-line. He could spend a couple seasons at RT and eventually move to LT, he is that good.

6. Jaguars: Tahj Boyd, QB, Clemson
    Needs: QB, G, C, DT, CB

Where to start with the Jags? They need just about everything, but nothing more than quarterback as their first round pick of a few years ago Blaine Gabbert was clearly a terrible pick. It's time to give up on Gabbert but due to the Jags overacheiving a bit they will have to get the 3rd QB off the board. We have Tahj Boyd going here. Boyd may not be as dynamic as a Johnny Manziel or highly touted as a Teddy Bridgewater, but he is a proven winner and a tough as nails QB. Maybe Boyd can reignite the Jags fan base and provide some hope for the future in Jacksonville.

7. Steelers: Lache Seastrunk, HB, Baylor
    Needs: HB, TE, G, RT, DE, CB

Pittsburgh has a lot of issues, some of it's an aging defense and an underachieving offensive line. While they could take another lineman with their 1st round pick, they need a dynamic player in the backfield. They did draft Le'Veon Bell last year in the 2nd round, but there is no denying the potential of Seastrunk. One of the fastest players in college football, he is also a tough runner who could get some extra yards with his strong lower body. Big Ben can do it all, they need their running game to be a factor as well.

8. Chiefs (from Cowboys): Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    Needs: WR, TE, MLB

Kansas City has been looking for a WR to put across Dwayne Bowe and we see them taking Watkins to be that guy. The Chiefs may have a choice between Watkins and Marquise Lee, but we feel like the Chiefs will value Watkins superior athleticism over Lee's skills. They can't go wrong either way. They are getting lucky that the Cowboys are struggling at this point in the season and will potentially have a top ten pick at their disposal.

9. Titans: Marquise Lee, WR, USC
    Needs: WR, DE, MLB

It's clear that the Titans have given up on Kenny Britt as reports say that they are shopping him around. We figure at this point the Titans will select one of the top two WRs in this position, if Watkins goes to the Chiefs, Lee is not a bad consolation prize. He is an excellent route runner and has elite hands. Those skills will help Jake Locker further his development and they could become a solid duo for years to come.

10. Bears: Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
    Needs: WR, G, C, RT, LE, FS

Chicago scored with Kyle Long last year, they could use another guard on the other side and right now Cyril Richardson looks like the best of the class. With two young guards the offensive line could develop into one of the best units in the league which will help open up more running lanes for Matt Forte and put less pressure on Jay Cutler.

11. Ravens: C.J. Mosley, MLB, Alabama
    Needs: WR, LT, MLB, CB

Baltimore needs to find the next Ray Lewis, if that is possible. Mosley is regarded as the best MLB in the class and comes from one of the best college defense at Alabama. He's ready to start from day one and could be the next great linebacker for the Ravens.

12. Falcons: Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan
    Needs: HB, TE, T, G, DE

Matt Ryan has been sacked a bunch this year and it's clear that the offensive line has been an issue for a few seasons now. It's time for Atlanta to shore up their offensive line. Lewan is consider 1b as far as tackles go and can protect Ryan's blindside for many years to come. The Falcons have to take a lineman here, it is their biggest need.

13. Texans: Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame
    Needs: QB, WR, RT, RE, DT

Houston already has one of the best 3-4 DEs in the game in J.J. Watt. Imagine how much better their defense can be with a disruptive nose tackle. Louis Nix III has been one of the best players of the Notre Dame defense for the past two seasons and combining him with Watt will make the Texans defense scary.

14. Eagles: Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
    Needs: QB, DE, DT, TE

There is no telling what Philadelphia will do with Michael Vick as he is slated to become a FA after this season, but as they are in the middle of a transition to 3-4 defense, they need the proper personnel, especially on the defensive line. Tuitt is a mammoth 3-4 DE who will be an adequate piece of the puzzle on the defense. Tuitt is excellent vs the run and will occupy linemen allowing for the Eagles linebackers to make plays.

15. Bucs: A.J. Johnson, MLB, Tennessee
    Needs: QB, RE, OLB, MLB, CB

We're not sure about the future of Josh Freeman so the Bucs could potentially look at a QB here but they need to find a MLB. A.J. Johnson makes sense here for a defense that is only a couple pieces away from becoming a really formidable unit.

16. Panthers: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
    Needs: WR, CB, RT, LOLB

Carolina could use a WR here as Steve Smith isn't getting any younger and they have the likes of Brandon LaFell and Ted Ginn Jr. playing significant snaps. However it seems like they can make do with those guys for now. Cornerback is a big need for the Panthers and right now we feel that Purifoy will end up being the best CB of the class. However at this moment none of the CBs are projected to be 1st rounders so this is a shot in the dark.

• Like Like x 3
  2. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    17. Broncos: Adrian Hubbard, ROLB, Alabama
    Needs: HB, ROLB, CB, SS

After fax-gate last offseason caused the departure of Elvis Dumervil, the Broncos have a hole at OLB opposite Von Miller. Adrian Hubbard could be a good fit here as a guy who can rush the QB and play in space. Considering the attention that Von Miller gets, there is potential for Hubbard to make a lot of plays in the Bronco defense.

18. Bills: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers
    Needs: WR, TE, LG, MLB, CB

After trading Stevie Johnson, Buffalo needs another weapon for E.J. Manuel to throw to. Coleman is a huge target at 6'6". If he refines his route running he could be a steal at this position as he is a matchup nightmare for any CB.

19. Patriots: Lamin Barrow, MLB, LSU
    Needs: MLB, WR, SS

Slow footed MLB Brandon Spikes may be on his way out and the Pats could use an upgrade at MLB. Look for them to pick a more athletic guy here in Barrow. LSU is know for their defense and Barrow has been performing well in college and would be the most rational pick here for the Pats who usually make smart draft picks.

20. Rams: Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
    Needs: QB, HB, RG, DT, ROLB, FS

With the surprising trade of QB Sam Bradford to Minnesota, the Rams now have a hole at QB. It appears to be a deep QB class this season but St. Louis will probably be picking the 4th or 5th QB at their slot. The Rams could choose to wait until later in the draft to select a QB but we could see them taking Logan Thomas here. Thomas was once regarded as a sure-fire first round pick but he struggled last year and his stock dropped. Sources say that the Rams like his tools are willing to take a chance on him.

21. Lions: Jordan Mathews, WR, Vanderbilt
    Needs: WR, OLB

Everybody knows Matt Stafford loves to throw to Calvin Johnson. Defenses do all they can to cover Megatron and he still puts up numbers. While this is all well and good, Stafford tends to force passes and make mistakes. Getting another quality WR will help all parties involved and make the Detroit offense tougher to stop.

22. Jets: Terrance Brooks, FS, Florida State
    Needs: HB, TE, OLB, FS

It appears the Jets scored with Geno Smith and suddenly their offense is viable. The Jets defense still has a few holes and While SS Dawan Landry is leading the league in INTs they could use an upgrade at FS. At the moment it's tough to pick from the FS group but we'll go with Brooks being the first off the board.

23. Browns: A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama
    Needs: QB, WR, G, MLB, CB

Cleveland is in the unenviable position of needing a QB but being in the top half in a draft where many teams are also in need of a QB. This leaves the Browns with a tough choice, either potentially reach for the QB of the future, possibly wait another round, or stick with what they have and wait another season. We chose option #1 for them in this mock draft. McCarron is a winner, which is a trait the Browns definitely need at QB. He also takes care of the ball.

24. Dolphins: Anthony Barr, ROLB, UCLA
    Needs: OLB, DT, CB

The Dolphins defense is getting better every season and we identify OLB as their biggest need that this point. Anthony Barr has been touted as a 1st round OLB for a while and is considered the best in the draft. Putting Barr with guys like Dion Jordan and Cameron Wake will only help Miami create more pressure on defense.

25. Chiefs: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Needs: WR, TE, MLB

We believe the Chiefs could go offense again and give Alex Smith another weapon in addition to Sammy Watkins. A great pass catching TE is a QBs best friend and Sefarian-Jenkins could fit into that role very well. He has been compared to Rob Gronkowski by some NFL scouts and that is quite the compliment for the kid from Washington. He doesn't have to be like Gronkowski but he has the potential to be a big piece in a high powered offense.

26. Bengals: Morgan Breslin, OLB, USC
    Needs: HB, OLB, MLB

The Bengals have drafted extremely well the past few years and are suddenly stacked. They may be ableto go BPA here but since James Harrison is getting up there in age they could draft Breslin here as the OLB in waiting.

27. Saints: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
    Needs: DT, MLB

Obviously there is no dire need on offense for the Saints so there is really no need to spend a 1st round pick on that side of the ball. There is room for improvement on the defense though and a big need is at defensive tackle as they do not have any long term guys there. Timmy Jernigan is a very active guy on the line and can wreak havoc in both the run and passing game. May be a bit undersized for New Orleans scheme but there is no denying his talent.

28. Vikings: Craig Loston, SS, LSU
    Needs: G, OLB, MLB, SS

Minnesota traded for Sam Bradford and have solved their QB woes for now. There are some holes on that defense particularly at OLB, MLB and SS, but if they are to go BPA for one of those positions, Craig Loston is their best bet.

29. 49ers: Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma State
    Needs: DT, OLB

San Francisco has a wealth of talent but even they have some room for improvement. Two positions they can look to upgrade is nose tackle and OLB oppositve Aldon Smith. We'll give them Barnett here but there's really no telling what SF will do here.

30. Bills (from Seahawks): Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon
    Needs: WR, TE, LG, MLB, CB

Buffalo continues to add pieces on offense, this time with Colt Lyerla. While we highlighted the comparisons of Sefarian-Jenkins to Rob Gronkowski, Lyerla compares to Aaron Hernandez (minus the murder). Lyerla is a do it all guy at Oregon and he could give Buffalo the ability to be more creative with their offensive sets.

31. Raiders: Seantrel Henderson, T, Miami
    Needs: WR, G, RT, LE, DT, MLB

Thanks to good coaching, the Raiders are quite the overacheiving team that does the most with less. It appears that they will hitch their wagon to Terrell Pryor for the time being. Looking at their roster it looks like they could use an upgrade at RT, the next best tackle after Matthews and Lewan and Henderson out of Miami. He is huge at 6'8 and a solid run blocker, great fit for the Raiders offense.

32. Rams (from Redskins): Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
    Needs: QB, HB, RG, DT, ROLB, FS

St. Louis with their second 1st round pick from the RG3 trade will look to add a piece to their offensive line. It makes sense for them to go with a guard here as they need to open up the run game. While they may still be looking for a HB, there may not be one worth taking here. It all depends on how their draft board shapes up.

• Like Like x 4
  3. HotRod

Featured Threads:
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Good stuff Rod. Looking forward to seeing how the QB's will fall here...

5. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

who drafts lineman in the 1st round, come on man!

• Like Like x 1
  6. bjbdahitman

bjbdahitman Andy Reid to KC... Finally a real coach...

Awesome write up Hotrod.

7. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Good synopsis of the Vikings, HotRod. We would definitely like to add a strong safety, and are hoping to find at least one, maybe two linebackers in Free Agency. We would also like to add another weapon in the passing game, but I'm hoping to be able to find some slot receiver gems in later rounds (although I've done no scouting yet). As always, great content!

8. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    LOL, these are the picks that make sense. I can't think like a lot of you jokers with the way some of you like to construct your rosters ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

So...... Slated to win the chip huh, based on records as of week 7 that is ;)

10. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Yeah right now Vikes and Redskins are interchangeable, that will change week 10. (y)

11. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I can go BPA, I like the roster I have right now.

DL help if anything.

Can't wait for the draft, will be cool with the college players.

12. Snozberriez8198

Snozberriez8198 10 Star Recruit

Great write up bro. Love the breakdowns. Not sure if the Bills will go offense. We have been putting up points and might look to add some skill on defense.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

Good stuff, man. Your right about Harrison. Been scouting for his replacement.

14. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Dolphins will not be drafting a linebacker. I have ellerbe, wheeler and Jenkins who played well before he was injured. I'd look for OL or a Wr for the dolphins. Not happy with Gibson.

15. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Cool, it was really just making quick guesses based on a glance at your roster.

16. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Lol. I was just saying. I actually like Anthony Barr in real life. He isn't a 4-3 backer though. I am pretty happy with my team I just need another weapon on the outside or a guard to replace incognito

17. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

HotRod

Waaaay off. My 1st pick will be a FB. You think im playin! Thats if I keep it .... ;)

18. charter04

charter04 Walk On

Good stuff. I need to get to scouting. I kind of like my slow MLB. :) I really need a non-smurf WR. Edwards couldn't catch a cold for me but, the Bills have plenty of stick-um i guess. I really don't know who I would go for the first round. I might trade down like the real Patriots.

19. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

Great write up, looks like a solid Mel Kiper board!