2014 Week 1 Scores

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by KnightNoles, May 4, 2010.

1. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

2014 Week 1 Scores

The 2014 Season is underway!

This should be an exciting year as every team should be all user recruited. The most sacred time in all of college sports has finally come. After almost eight months of training, drilling, recruiting, making cuts and listening to analysts speculate and project, week one of the college football season is finally upon us. Texas will start the year out at #1 while the defending Champs will be at #2 (The two schools will meet in Week 2). Yet there are 119 other programs looking to change that as every school wants the glory of National Champions for themselves. Only time will tell over the next 14 weeks who has what it takes to survive the season and run the gauntlet toward their aspirations of conference titles and bowl games.

Power Rankings
    Column 1 Column 2
    Florida State Back-to-Back defending champs and return QB Joe Smith and a great defense, losing his goto receivers will hurt
    Texas Got the Big XII crown back now he wants the Title to go with it
    Florida 1 game away, it seems for 20 years
    Oregon Pac-10 gets some Respect? NAaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Alabama Fans are starting to get restless in T-town, will Coach Perry deliver?
    Ohio State Owns the Big 10 and is the most consistent team to be in a BCS bowl unfortunately they have lost most of them
    Nebraska Coach Bogey succeeded at Utah and took Nebraska to the Big XII Championship last year, will he step up and make a bigger run
    Miami Can he get through the NOLES
    Oklahoma Coach Jugg be able to shake out the flaws in last years team and put together another run?
    Notre Dame Can Coach Twist succeed in the bigger games of the season, been on the verge but needs to get over the hump
    USC Hippo's first full year in the League and how will he fare
    Michigan Will he get away from nickel beer nights and quit letting the Ann Arbor suffer, take back the Big 10! with that said NO he won't

We will get to see how some of the big teams respond after the offseason and which ones will better themselves and who will put themselves in a hole to dig out of, COLLEGE FOOTBALL begins RIGGGGGHT NOW!

Week 1 Schedule
    Column 1 Column 2
    Alabama @ Nebraska
    Florida Miami
    Florida State Louisville
    Miami @ Florida
    Michigan @ Boise State
    Nebraska Alabama
    Notre Dame @ Purdue
    Ohio State @ USC
    Oklahoma Oregon
    Oregon @ Oklahoma
    Texas Utah
    USC Ohio State

Headliner- #13 Miami @ #4 Florida

National Game of the Week-#6 Ohio State @ #3 USC

National Broadcast Game- #7 Oregon @ #8 Oklahoma

Prime Time- #5 Alabama @ #9 Nebraska

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Week 1 User Game PicksSince nobody took up the mantle for this last year (since Perry can't drag his drunk ass out of the bar for more than once a season), I am back with the user game picks again this year.

This week is interesting, since I know who none of the players on these teams are, and only have a vague recollection of the relative roster strengths. That being said, here....we....go!!!!

Game 1 - #13 Miami at #4 Florida
    Two teams who share a state but haven't shared the same field in 6 seasons finally meet. Florida has proven one thing in C2C history thus far, they can't beat the Noles regardless of where or when they play. Can they take it to the Canes? Both teams run that gimmicky 4-2-5 nonsense, the key will be who runs it better? Florida has the edge in talent and Miami is coming off a down year, but I'm hearing rumors that large shipments of cocaine have been reported to be disappearing in the vicinity of the U's campus and that all the strip joints in the greater Miami area are running low on girls. At the same time, Miami's cheerleading squad is now considered NC-17 by the NCAA. What I'm saying is that I like Leon in the early season upset. The pick - Miami by 7.

Game 2 - #5 Alabama at #9 Nebraska
    Bogey was two 4th quarter TD passes away from an undefeated season in his first year at Nebraska, and Perry had yet another year of unfulfilled promises of glory to the Tide faithful. Bama would appear to be the pick on paper, and while Bogey has proven to be a hell of a coach, I think Perry puts this one together and comes out of the gates strong.
    The pick - Bama by 3.

Game 3 - #7 Oregon at #8 Oklahoma
    Let's see, the team that has to hear every year that they haven't beaten anyone vs the team last year that got beaten down by everyone. Interesting matchup of the other two C2C 4-2-5 teams. Oklahoma has arguably the 2nd strongest roster in the nation, with great talent on offense. The defense of the Sooners lost some real playmakers, but thankfully for them so did the Ducks on offense. The key here is whether the OU offense can avoid the turnovers that killed them last year (as I recall, in 3 of 4 user games, OU turned it over 5+ times). If Juggs can play mistake free he can win. Problem is, I don't see it happening. This is Max's chance to prove Oregon is a national power and I think he comes out in dominant fashion.
    The pick - Ducks by 14.

Game 4 - #6 Ohio State at #3 USC
    Brian claims to have NEVER lost at the Colliseum, but I'm not certain that he's played Hippo before, so this could be good. OSU lost over 20 seniors from a really strong team last year and will be going to a '3 yards and a cloud of dust' Big 10 offense this year due to a strong HB corp and relatively inexperienced WR's. USC (with Oklahoma and Florida) probably can argue that they are the 2nd strongest roster in the country, and this will be a good chance for Hippo to make some early noise in C2C. I like the Trojans at home.
    The pick - USC by 7.

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Eugene, OR (AP) -- Breaking news out of the University of Oregon. The Ducks' head coach has just stated in a press conference that Oregon may not be switching to a Pistol offense. Coach Max stated that QB Barrett James is "uncomfortable" with the playbook, and would rather run the system he learned as a true freshman. The system James is speaking of is an option-attack style of offense with a combination of power-running and spread looks to compliment the traditional 3 back fleXbox One. Coach Max usually isnt the type of HC to give this much control to a player, but he is determined to get some use out of James in his last year of eligibility and may change things up for the 6'7 230lb dual-threat QB. With a stable of talented backs, and a #3 QB that is even faster than James, it seems like a real possibility that the system that delivered back-to-back Heisman trophies to Ducks' faithful may be making its return to Eugene.

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Guess I won't post my preview in Preseason Program, since it is already locked. It will be typed in my team thread.

5. Dru50

Texas opens up a can of whoop-ass, Captain Insano style, on #20 Utah in week 1. This was a positively 'Noles-esque' performance, as the Longhorn deep passing game was in full effect. In fact, I would say without a doubt that I've never hit this many downfield throws in a single game.

QB Scott Felder made his early play for QB of the year with a stellar performance, going 8-15 for 344 yards and 4 TD. He hit deep TD throws to WR's JJ Wheeler (86 yards and 30 yards), Kenny Ingram (66 yards) and Derek Skinner (80 yards). The team was able to hit the big plays due to a good running game, which amassed 231 yards and 5 TD on 44 carries. The rushing was led by Felder (59 yards, 2 TD) and HB R. Garcia (91 yards, 2 TD). All in all, the offense put up 701 yards and 20 first downs.

The defense played well in shutting down an overmatched Ute offense. The stars of the team were MLB's J. Ward (9 tackles, 1 TFL) and S. Gibson (5 tackles, 3 TFL) as well as super freshman Antoine Smith who had 7 tackles and 2 sacks.

With all the good though, there was a bit of bad, starting HB Antoine Bell was injured in the first quarter and may miss next weeks huge game vs #2 FSU. He had 36 yards on 3 carries when he got hurt, so his exit was disappointing.

Highlights
    Opening TD to JJ Wheeler. The CPU ran QB contain with the line and a cover 2. Stepping up in the pocket = easy completion.
    [youtube]EUOT1aZjQyk[/youtube]

QB Felder hits K. Ingram on a option fake fade route.
    [youtube]drr4gHeMFo0[/youtube]

A. Smith's first career sack.
    [youtube]EZNZKgkL6s0[/youtube]

Freshman CB C. Moore's first career INT
    [youtube]C8O8mjY0XCQ[/youtube]

Felder hits JJ Wheeler on a seam route for a TD.
    [youtube]-27ft1BQHWY[/youtube]

6. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

That's what you get for playing like a cheese head.

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

[​IMG]

Florida and Miami battled it out in the opening week and the Gators grabbed a hard fought win to begin the season 1-0. On the offensive side of the game the Gators were led by Brandon McCloud who passed for 375 yards 2 TD and 0 interceptions. He was on fire most of the game and his receivers helped him out a great deal. Leading the receiving group was Palmer with 6 receptions for 115 yards receiving and 1 TD. TE Manning also had a good game and he was the first Gator to catch a receiving TD in 2014. On the ground Adam Snyder had a decent game with 71 yards and scoring the other 2 Florida touchdowns.

Over on the defensive side of the ball the Gators struggled to stop the balanced Hurricane attack, but made enough plays at the end to make the stop. The unquestioned leader on defense was senior MLB Andrew Brown. He finished the game with 13 tackles (1 for loss), 1 sack and an interception. His biggest play of the game, however was a deflected pass on the last play of the game. He made a diving stop to knock down Miami's pass attempt and end the game. Miami QB Brooks had a very good game and he finished with 228 yards passing and 2 passing touchdowns. He also led the Canes in rushing with 65 yards and a touchdown.

Things do not get any easier for Florida. They get to face a very talented USC team in the Coliseum next week. USC already knocked off #6 Ohio State this season and they are looking to do the same to Florida.

Florida 28
    Miami 21

Highlights

Brooks touchdown pass to former Gator recruit Duncan:
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19762271

McCloud to Palmer for a 22 yard TD:
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19762277

Brooks rushing TD that knotted game at 21:
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19762364

Adam Snyder rushes up the middle for the go ahead TD:
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19762368

Andrew Brown makes diving stop to knockdown Miami's game tying pass:
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19762374

8. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

You got the point spread right but you picked the wrong team :p.

But you did get the Ohio State/USC game right and USC even covered the spread,

9. Dru50

Yeah, 1-2 is not a good start for the 'schwam'.

Beazus and Perry are dead to me from a picks perspective.

10. Dru50

Nice tip by Arthur Brown. Dude should have been a Longhorn if I hadn't f***ed up my offseason recruiting back in 2010. Dammit.

11. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I will redeem myself in week 3. Sorry Brian but bogey woke the giant.

12. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

We'll see....I can promise you that I'm not going to be an easy out...I'm coming for that win, I can't afford another loss. :mad:

13. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Maybe Brown signed with Florida because you got him confused with Miami OLB Arthur instead of his actual first name which is Andrew. :p

13 tackles 1 sack 1 interception in his first game, could be the start of a monster season in Florida's reinstalled 4-3 defense.

14. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

ND: 69 Purdue: 17

QB Lionel Yates torched the Boilers for 223 yards and 3 tds, including 3 to TE Blake Chambers. RB James Grimes had 32 carrys for 107 yards and 1 td. LB Cory High had 3 tackles, 1 tfl and an INT returned for a td to lead the Domers.

15. Dru50

I like it, that week 3 OSU vs Alabama game is shaping up to be a battle. It will be like two starving dogs fighting over a bone.

16. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final[/SIZE][/B]
    Ohio St 7 7 3 8 25
    USC 14 14 7 3 38

Yards OSU USC
    Passing yards 226 135
    Comp/Att 14/20 9/11
    Rushing yards 116 172
    Rush Att 35 39
    Total yards 342 307
    Turnovers 2 0
    Red Zone Att-TD-FG 4-2-1 4-4-0

The Trojans managed to defeat the Buckeyes at home 38-25. Offensively, the Trojans didn't put up great numbers, but they also didn't commit any turnovers. Marvin Love managed the game well and didn't force any bad passes. It was a rushing attack by committee, as both the starting HB, Shannon Jones, and back up HB, Micah Reid, were injured for portions of the game. Jones ran for 73 yards on 21 carries and scored 3 times while Reid carried the ball 8 times for 42 yards and a score. Defensively, Gerald Johnson and Cory Lewis both had 11 tackles to lead the Trojans. The D played pretty well, holding T.J. Perry to under 100 yards and only 1 TD.

There were two key plays to the game. The first came early in the 2nd quarter. USC was leading 14-7 after a touchdown closed out the first quarter. MLB Cory Lewis picked off a Leonard Jackson pass over the middle, quickly shifting the momentum to USC. This turnover allowed the Trojans to start deep in OSU territory, and they took advantage by scoring a touchdown and pushing the lead to 21-7.

The real dagger came in the 3rd quarter. OSU kicked a field goal to make the score USC 28 - OSU 17. The Buckeyes then forced USC to punt after the Trojan's drive stalled. On the 1st play of their drive, OSU ran a dive play, but their HB accidently pitched the ball directly to a USC linebacker. This killed the momentum for OSU, as USC scored a touchdown after the turnover to take a 35-17 lead.

This is a great start for USC, as they started slow out of the gates last year, but there is no time to celebrate this win. The Florida Gators are coming into town fresh off a victory over those cocaine-snorting Miami Hurricanes.

Videos:

1- Shannon Jones 22 yard rushing TD in the 1st quarter for a 14-7 lead.
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19754876

2- Interception by Cory Lewis (mentioned above)
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19754940

3- Touchdown pass from Marvin Love to Kyle Silva at the end of the 1st half, USC 28 - OSU 14
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19754934

4- The accidental pitch in the 3rd quarter (mentioned above)
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19755008

17. BDSDIGITAL

That pitch was a straight up back breaker. I really felt with that punt the momentum had really swung to me then to make a dumb mistake like that, just because I left my index finger too low on the pad :( that play crushed me.

But that's how it goes sometimes in the world of digital football...good game anyway.

18. Dru50

That lateral by the OSU halfback has to win the C2C all time award for flukiest play to cost someone a game. That is plain crazy.

19. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

shitty way to go
    (n)

Shout out to Hippo though. Pac-10 Power!

20. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

Yeah, I was feeling pretty good at the half. After that punt...I was starting to sweat a little bit; I could feel the momentum shift. Without that pitch, it's a totally different game.

Definitely a good game though.

21. BDSDIGITAL

Make no mistake. Hippo beat me fair and square. That play sucked and really killed me, but he also scored on a really dumb pass I made earlier in the game which cost me 7 pts, I also got stoned inside the 5 twice and came away with three points between the two possessions...if anything those were the things that ultimately killed me, not just my lack of stick skillz. It also took me entirely too long to make the necessary adjustements to stop the runs he was breaking to the outside.

I guess what I'm saying is all credit goes to Hippo. Shit happens....had I played a better game the other 27 minutes and 58 seconds I wouldn't have been in a position for that to screw me.

22. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Oklahoma gets off the user game schnide with a razor thin victory over a tough Oregon team. Lots of D in this one and this time I came out the beneficiary of turnovers. OU got a game changing pick 6 midway through the 4th and another pick on our goalline with about 40 seconds left to seal the deal. GG Max.

Oklahoma - 17
    Oregon - 13

23. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Dru, I think you should have stayed retired from picking games. This is like watching Brett Favre on the Jets. :p

24. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

The Ducks lay an egg in Norman and lose 17-13.

Coach Max was fined $50,000 for apparently grabbing the throat of his Senior QB Barrett James on the sideline after one of many unsuccessful 3rd conversions. The Ducks could not find any rhythm on offense, especially on 3rd down (3/11 27%). Sophomore WR Haas may be benched after dropping two 3rd down passes that hit his hands and would have moved the chains, but the player who should really be worried about job security is James. Barrett James averaged 2.3yd per carry and went 9/21 with 0TD and 2INT. Coach Max is considering moving to a 2 QB system, where Sophomore QB Yusef Glover would come in for passing situations as James looked completely inept at times throwing the ball. Duck fans should be pleased with the defense overall, but they'd have been ecstatic had the Oregon D been able to force a turnover or an extra 3 and out. You know what they say... back to the drawing board

James A.K.A "The Big Squirt"
    9/21 166yd 0TD 2INT
    13ATT 30yd 1TD

Pearson
    6ATT 46yd (7.6 avg why the F did he only get 6 carries? b/c the big squirt couldnt complete a pass on 3rd down)

25. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

FSU Destroys Cardinals 69-0

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    1 2 3 4 F
    UL 0 0 0 0 0
    FSU 42 7 10 10 69

This one was over in the first 7:00 as the Noles came out with a dominating 42-0 quarter. FSU created a +6 turnover ratio and held the Cardinals to -31 yards of rushing. Joe Smith complete 8 of 9 passes for 173 yards with 2 TDs. Isaac Thompson rushed 22 times for 157 yards and 2 TDs before he was pulled in the 3rd. MLB Brian Adams led the Nole defense with 11 tackles and Lawrence Everett patrolled the skies and had 3 INTs, 2 of which went back for 6.

The Noles will welcome in the Longhorns of Texas in their week 2 matchup where the teams will be #1 and #2.