2015 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Aug 28, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

It's nearly that time of year. We are almost to spring training and most everyone should have their rosters in shape for the grind ahead. So it's time to take some questions from the media.

1. How do you think your offseason went?
    2. Any additions you are excited about?
    3. Any losses from last year you are going to miss?
    4. What are your expectations for this season?
    5. Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year?
    6. How do your finances look this year?
    7. What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team?
    8. Care to throw any predictions out there around the league?
    9. Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here?

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

---My off season went well, we made a big trade moving former MVP candidate Logan Morrison to the Cubs but feel we got 3 good players in return that will help us both now and down the road.
    ---Anytime you can add somebody to your team named Zoilo you have to be excited, aliens both illegal and from outer space just bring a different level of excitement to the ball park. We also snuck in and grabbed Johan Santana out of free agency to sure up the back end of our rotation and the intelligent and up to date fans here in Phoenix love it as they all recognize that Johan is Cy Young material.
    ---No, they all sucked. Why would I miss them? I will miss sweeping the Pirates and ruining the Brewers playoff hopes though.
    ---We've realized that it's pointless to expect anything around here as our teams are consistently inconsistent. One day we play great, the next day it's like my boys were in Scottsdale all night trying to out drink Russian hockey players.
    ---Well we do have a certain #1 in MLB rated prospect, Patrick Tolentino who will start in Spring Training and look to land on the opening day roster. Also look for Heath Fletcher or Damon Robinson to come up and take over for Aaron Hill at 2B if he gets moved or starts to struggle. Other than that we may see Luis Reyes the 1B turned closer come up later in the year.
    ---This math shit is easy.
    7. What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team?
    ---My biggest surprise was Travis Crosseti coming up to the big's and hitting above .350 for a couple months before slumping down to .308. Another big surprise, on a negative note, was pitching prospect Archie Bradley needing surging to remove bone chips from his elbow after pitching only 3. innings coming off missing 4 months due to the same exact procedure. WTF!
    8. Care to throw any precdictions out there around the league?
    ---Sure, why not...
    recchem2000 - you suck, and the Dodger's suck.
    NeuroticTruth - you suck, and the Padre's suck.
    @CPU - you suck, and the Rockies suck.
    abolishthefed - the Giants are really good and that sucks.
    9. Rumor has it that the commisioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking"...
    ---If teams want to suck just let them suck. I mean honestly I think, Astros aside, that all the shitty teams in this league are more because stubborn KnightNoles, foreign ignorance sonn, old age soxandgators and just not caring Darkwing from management. I'm sure they don't want to suck but as you can see they have huge internal struggles that they will need to get through to get over the hump. On that note, John Lackey's psychiatrist is available now.
    10.-What are some ideas you have to improve the league?
    ---Great question. I think we should add a rule that disallows the trading of rookies who haven't reached a year of service yet. This would be easy to keep track of (if I guy is drafted in '14 he has to stay on that team until after the '15 draft sim) and would prevent back door draft pick trading, which I don't think has happened but if it's allowed it will.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    • Like Like x 8
  3. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

1. How do you think your offseason went? It went as good as can be expected. I continued to be seduced by prospects at the detriment to my ML squad taking on salary to get prospects. That and Cliff Lee having a small set back and now is a 25 million dollar soft ball pitcher. Oye.
    2. Any additions you are excited about? I am excited about glove man Deven Marrerro coming over from Toronto. He will get some AAA starts to ensure he is readyand losing Matt Smoral in the deal wasn't ideal but you have to give up something to get something.
    3. Any losses from last year you are going to miss? Cliff Lee from going from a below 2 ERA and my #2 pitcher to being gone for over a year and being an 84 MPH - 25 million dollar paper weight. I think I will miss Andy Dirks a bit but not the fact that he is a lefty like every other OF in my organization was last year. I needed to right that ship and quick.
    4. What are your expectations for this season? Illitch is requiring a championship this year so that is what I need to shoot for. I also expect an MVP for Verlander and I fully expect for Dave Moore to beg out of the game everytime we play the Orioles.
    5. Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year? This is the area that I am most excited and most nervous. I have had the #1 farm system and players are now starting graduate. Some like CF - KK Ashley and SP Kree Falcon came up and did extremly well in September. Some like LF - Virgil Hilts came up and did ok before lighting it up in the playoffs. I also have 2B - Drake Hollow coming up again, 3B - Corey Seager ready to roll with guys like Francisco Grinaldo and Dilios Platea in the wings.
    6. How do your finances look this year? Looking pretty stellar. Trying to see if I can make enough money to accelerate paying off one of my dead contracts, probably CLiff Lee
    7. What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team? I think, from a surprise standpoint, owners are figuring out, sometimes through hard lessons, that we can't sign everyone that we want and live to tell about it. Even some big budget teams like the Angels are bumping up to revenue issues based on inherted crazy contracts like Pujols. I think that in following years, free agency will start having marketedly better players as GM's will be hamstrung by camp issues generated either pre-starting out or decisions made about contracts before understanding what we know now.
    8. Care to throw any predictions out there around the league? I think Dave Moore's first child will not be named Justin, I think his nickname will now be "Verlander's Bitch", the Orioles will fall back a bit this year but still win the AL East, Tigers will duke it out with the rest of the AL Central (save the Royals) but win it, the Mariners will set themselves up for a mini dynasty in the AL West and the Twins and Red Sox will win the wild cards. In the NL, I think Timpe will keep a strangelhold on the NL East, I got Pittsburgh coming out of the Central and the Giants dominating the West. I will pick the Marlins and Brewers as the Wild Card and will again for the 3rd straight year, say that the Marlins make the World Series but lose to one of the AL squads, hopefully me. =-)
    9. Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here? It's hard to say who's tanking and who's not tanking. People thought I was going to be tanking when I traded Cabrera, Prince, etc. Really what I was doing was retooling because after year one, I had the worst defense and the slowest team in the league by far. The difference was I traded most of those guys in the offseason and I ended up having a better record without them then with them. I do think that it can be curtailed by instituting a lottery for the top pick(s). I would put something in like the NBA does. There are programs that do that and we could hold the ping pong ball on that on Skype. We might get a record turn out. It did in the other leagues. I know it is fun to race to the #1 pick, especially in September when you have nothing to play for and want that stud to turn around your fortunes. On the flip side, does that adversly affect the playoffs by teams potentially laying down to better their draft slot? Hard to say. I do think the draft lottery is the best way to go on that one.

• Like Like x 4
  4. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

It was fairly quiet. We had to let fan (and GM) favorite Nick Markakis go because we simply couldnt justify such a large deal for a guy that would be nothing more than a 4th OF with the emergence of Rob Burns and Dave Moore. We also signed Jeff Francoeur, Joe Nathan, and Chris Young after whiffing on Ubaldo and Brett Gardner.
    I'm sort of excited for Francoeur. He had a down year last year overall, but he still mashed lefties and he was really good for the 2 years before that. He should be able to justify the expense just as a DH vs LHP, but if he reverts back to previous form, then the Orioles managed to add an impact bat for pennies.
    The only real loss from last year's team is Markakis. And while we'll miss him (because he's a BAMF), Dave Moore should more than replace his production.
    World Series. Anything short of that will be a disappointment. We have the best offense in baseball and our pitching staff (while young) showed that they should be adequate to get us there.
    Dave Moore. He technically debuted in the playoffs last year as an injury replacement, but he still has no regular season ABs. In addition to being the runaway choice for ROY, I expect him to also be in the MVP hunt.
    I'm gonna make 60M with a tiny budget, a shit owner, and a WS caliber roster. Yeah, keeping this in order shouldn't be hard.
    Around the league, it has to be Jeanmar Gomez for Cleveland. Completely unheralded and he just steps in and wins the AL ERA crown. For my team, the biggest surprise was Roy Halladay's suckitude. A 4.24 FIP and 4.86 ERA isn't what I paid $50M for.
    8. Care to throw any precdictions out there around the league?
    AL Playoff teams: Orioles, Tigers, Mariners, Rays (WC), Indians (WC)
    NL Playoff teams: Braves, Brewers, Giants, Miami (WC), Dbacks (WC)

World Series: Orioles over Giants in 6
    9. Rumor has it that the commisioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking"...
    Honestly, if teams want to tank, then let them. The MLB draft isn't the NBA where the top pick can come in and immediately save a franchise. Its probably more useful for teams to try to win games and develop their young players rather than losing to gain a draft spot.

• Like Like x 3
  5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

How do you think your offseason went?
    Awful. I had drafted many text messages to the boys we sent out to the Winter Meetings only to find that we never hit the “send” button. This led us to missing out on many FAs. Luckily we were able to add Charlie Blackmon in a trade.

Any additions you are excited about?
    Blackmon. In my time in Cleveland we have been VERY unlucky with outfields losing two to freak career ending injuries. Hopefully adding a young guy like Blackmon will give us a steady hand out there.

Any losses from last year you are going to miss?
    Anytime you lose the ace of your staff it is tough to get over. After re-upping Asdurbal Cabrera we just didn’t have the cash to bring back Ubaldo Jimenez.

What are your expectations for this season?
    We’re in a tough spot. We should have one of the best offenses in the bigs. However, our pitching leaves A LOT to be desired. If Jeanmar Gomez and Matt Packer can repeat their efforts from outstanding seasons last year then we should be ok. I think we can compete for a Wild Card spot with our offense alone. If we get some pitching a deep run could be had. That’s a BIG if however.

Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year?
    Stanley Bena has worked his way up and will be doing a lot of DH’ing and spelling “out of nowhere” rookie Ron Phillips from last year

How do your finances look this year?
    Penny Pinching as always. I am just lucky I convinced Mr. Dolan to open his checkbook for Asdrubal. He was a key piece.

What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team?
    If there was ever a year where the MVP surprised people, last year was it. Jason Kipnis was flirting with Mendoza Line for the first third of the season. He shows signs of improvement just before the All Star break and then suddenly just catches FIRE carrying the team on his back leading us to the playoffs.

Care to throw any predictions out there around the league?
    The two DC/Maryland area teams make big noise again. The Nationals continue to dig themselves into the financial grave and Baltimore takes the AL Pennant

Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here?
    The draft is a crapshoot as is. If teams want to tank, let em tank. Its their fanbase they are patronizing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

I really hope the whistle blower or blowers on this thought that teams are tanking has some hard evidence to present. Since my name is on that list i take it personal. So i dare anyone to go threw my entire file and show me one position or rotation arm that wasnt my best possible available at that time in my organization. Ya i know this is a overall thought but whoever had it and seemed to toss my name in there didnt do there research at all.

7. PAgamer07

lol. relax

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

I personally think you and Ty got dealt the biggest shit hands at the start of this. The worst ML teams and the worst minors.

• Like Like x 1
  9. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

How do you think your offseason went?

The Giants didn't make too many moves this offseason. Madison Bumgarner suffered an injury in the final sim of last season, after an outstanding season. So, a deal was made with the White Sox to bring Yu Darvish to the rotation and traded two good minor league prospects. Darvish has a manageable contract, but the Giants now have the last ranked farm system in the majors. The owner keeps upping the budget if the team wins, so hopefully there are some good FAs available in the next 2 years.

Any additions you are excited about?

I am excited to see what kind of production SS Joe Panik, RF Jarrett Parker, and LF Devin Harris have. They are all relatively young and skilled. Panik really finished the year strong. Also, 1B Ricky Oropresa will be batting cleanup in his second year starting. The lineup is potent enough that Neil Walker is batting all the way down in the 6th hole.

Any losses from last year you are going to miss?

Nick Blackburn could be a loss. He was signed to a minor league contract 2 years ago and ended up finishing the last half of the season in the bullpen, due to injuries. He was projected to stay in the bullpen last season, but the 6 month injury to recently signed FA Joe Blanton forced him into the #5 spot in the rotation. He finished with an ERA under 4.00 and 12 wins. Also, Angel Pagan was not resigned. He was skilled, but suffered injuries any time he was forced to play 6 games in a 10 game sim.

What are your expectations for this season?

Anything could happen this season. My team doesn't have all that much depth and there are a couple members of the starting lineup who are fragile. Also, my team's pitching isn't very strong and my defense isn't the best in the league. But, the offense will be strong if everyone is healthy. Basically, success will depend on health.

Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year?

The aforementioned Panik, Parker, and Harris will be playing their first full seasons in the bigs.

How do your finances look this year?

Great. The core of the team is signed through next season and there is money left over to make some noise in the offseason or pick up a contract in a midseason trade.

What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team?

The starting staff was pretty good last season. Matt Cain went 16-9, a year after posing a 6.23 ERA and 12 losses. Cain was the only starter with an ERA over 4 on the Giants staff. Nick Blackburn was 12-5 in the #5 spot in the rotation. Franklin Gutierrez turned into a great acquisition, playing 120 games with an OPS+ of 112 and stellar defense for only $1.1 mln.

Care to throw any predictions out there around the league?

The Cubs will rue the day that they let Capuano walk. Welcome to the Curse of Capuano.

Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here?

I don't believe I've seen any teams tanking. The teams that are currently performing poorly are teams that were put into tough situations. I don't believe any intervention is needed at this time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ken Welsch

Ken Welsch BTFD!

1. How do you think your offseason went? The offseason was a little slow. We underachieved last year, yet still remained in the race all year. The hope was to acquire a power bat, but the free agent pool didn't have anyone we felt like bidding for and the trade market has been, to this point, been a little slow. We will still be working hard to make our team better.
    2. Any additions you are excited about? We didn't make any huge additions. We signed Ichiro, but we aren't planning on counting on him very heavily, though he should still be able to contribute. We will have Schwaner for the full season, which should be interesting to watch.
    3. Any losses from last year you are going to miss? We cut closer Sergio Santos after last season because he was due a big pay raise. We were excited to hand to closer duties to Shawn Tolleson, then he injured his arm and will be out until mid-season. So our bullpen will be by the dreaded "committee" unless we make another acquisition.
    4. What are your expectations for this season? We want to see improvements and to contend for both the AL Central and one of the Wild Card spots.
    5. Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year? There is a strong possibility that Garrett Gould could make his debut this year. Kenneth Toves and Dakota Watts both had cups of coffee last year, but this year, they will be thrown into the fire.
    6. How do your finances look this year? We are doing well. We have some room to add to the payroll if we see fit.
    7. What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team? I was surprised to see my team fold in the second half. We were counting on a number of players that didn't come through, but we are a young team an that's somewhat to be expected.
    8. Care to throw any predictions out there around the league? Berde Lauritzen figures out he's better than these hitters and becomes the dominant hurler we all expect him to be.
    9. Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here? I hate to see intentional tanking, though it is somewhat realistic. Ideally, we should be able to trust that everyone will do their best, but fire sales happen. Still, I think that in many cases, intentional tanking doesn't work out and they leave. Fortunately, we do have the advantage of being one of the very best leagues and can always count on recruiting someone else to fill any GM vacancies (though right now, we can move to other openings if we choose, but I don't think that these tanking GMs should be able to do this).

• Like Like x 1
  11. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Fairly quiet in Astro Land. I think the team is on the cusp of competing for a playoff spot this year. Signed a few of the young SP's to buy out their arb years.
    2. Any additions you are excited about? Francisco Lindor came over in the Charlie Blackmon trade, I'm excited to see if he can be an everyday SS. Too bad he's out of options and will have to prove it now.
    3. Any losses from last year you are going to miss? Blackmon will be a little loss but I think Fields is ready to take over his spot.
    4. What are your expectations for this season? .500 or better, possibly grab a wild card spot
    5. Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year? SP Mark Bryant is sitting in the wings, but no clear spot in the rotation yet.
    6. How do your finances look this year? Peachy
    7. What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team? I was surprised with how far Detroit advanced in post-season, they had a lot of young hitters in their lineup. Also, surprised to see the O's playing that well. From my own team, I was surprised with C Jason Castro's year. Coming off a very poor season, he put together a solid year and got a 2 year contract.
    8. Care to throw any predictions out there around the league? I really like the Billy Butler signing for NYY and think they will get a WC spot this year. Unfortunately, I see Dave Moore sweeping up a ton of hardware this year.
    9. Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here? Not sure how you can quantify "tanking", I don't think anyone has done that yet. If a team is throwing out a squad of players who don't deserve to be MLBers than maybe I can see it. Although, tanking really doesn't mean too much with how much the draft could be a crap shoot. I think teams spending more than their budget, losing money, should be something that is addressed before the "tanking". The Tampa philosophy isn't unrealistic.
    10.-What are some ideas you have to improve the league?
    I don't know if there is a setting or not, but I feel its to easy for teams to sign their top FA, nobody is testing the waters. Also, too easy to buy out arb years for cheap. Maybe we can have some house rules?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  12. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

1. How do you think your offseason went? The offseason was pretty decent. Made a few trades for some bullpen help and filling up some holes in the farm system. Signed some under the radar bullpen arms too in Nick Massett and Wil Ledezma.
    2. Any additions you are excited about? Adding Connor Gilaspie at 3B and Miles Myklos in the Jonathan Lucroy deal should be interesting. Myklos should be a huge addition to the bullpen, as he was a top target in the 2013 Amateur Draft for Milwaukee. On the riskier front, Tyler Clippard coming to Milwaukee for what the front office hopes to be a career adrenaline shot should be interesting to watch. All in all, the one move that we are most excited to see how it pans out is the C Daniel Butler, acquired from Boston. He's an older guy with high potential. Hopefully Miller Park helps him bring his offensive prowess to majors quickly, otherwise it will be Wilin Rosario's spot for the year.
    3. Any losses from last year you are going to miss? We are going to miss Ozzie Lewis's versatility in the outfield, having shipped him to Boston for Daniel Butler. The recent and surprising move to trade Jake Peavy has the fan base up in arms and could hurt the rotation if Jed Bradley can't get his game figured out.
    4. What are your expectations for this season? We expect to beat the shit out of the fucking Cubs and challenge for the NL Central Championship. The Pirates will be a team to look out for though.
    5. Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year? Paulo Peito will be making his debut at SS as we set up to platoon at SS w/Sanchez flipping between short and 3B. This is Jed Bradley's year to put up or shut up in the starting rotation too.
    6. How do your finances look this year? We were set up to make a profit this year, and after moving Peavy's contract we'll only be better.
    7. What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team? I was very disappointed with the Brewers. Injuries hampered them all season and even Prince's late power surge wasn't enough to bring the Crew to the Wild Card. Around the league, I'd have to say I was most impressed with the Mariners and Orioles and their low budget/high performance last year.
    8. Care to throw any predictions out there around the league? The fucking Cubs will finish last in the NL Central. Ryan Braun wins NL MVP, finally going a full injury free season. Paulo Peito challenges for NL ROY.
    9. Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here? In baseball, I don't see that it really matters that much. Very rarely will you find an ARod, Bryce Harper, Strasburg type that will contribute at a high level and immediately. I really don't care so much if a team is trying to lose. It'll only hurt their bottom line.

13. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

:rolleyes: They suck with or without him...

14. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

How do you think your offseason went? Extremely quiet in Atlanta until the waning days of spring training where we signed Mitch Moreland to a 1 year deal worth about $2.5 mil. This allows Freddie Freeman to finally have some days off with the added depth at 1B. Freeman has played 155+ games each of the last 3 years.
    Any additions you are excited about? Nothing too exciting. Moreland will be another solid bat, and will DH against righties for interleague games. Outside of that, the signing of international Catcher Jorge Guzman was probably our biggest signing. Guzman was a highly touted catcher out of Cuba, but hasn't quite shown the potential we expected of him when we signed him.
    Any losses from last year you are going to miss? We didn't lose any major pieces from our Major League roster. I would have put Coco Crisp here if not for the emergence of Adam Milligan late last year.
    What are your expectations for this season? Honestly, anything less than the NLCS is a bust for us this year. We return our entire lineup and pitching staff from last year's World Champions. Barring injury, we should be pushing a 100+ win season.
    Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year? I highly doubt it. Most of our prospects are at least a year away from being Major League ready. RHP Su Min Jung looked good in his 4 starts last year though, and could get the call up if there's injury.
    How do your finances look this year? Just fine. Plenty of room for a development budget, and no big extensions on the horizon.
    What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team? Adam Milligan by far. He sorta came out of nowhere and crushed the ball in AAA, and it carried over into the ML level. He had a very solid last month after he got called up and played well in the playoffs.
    Care to throw any predictions out there around the league? The NL East will be one of the toughest divisions in baseball after struggling the last couple of years. The AL East will also go back to being stacked. The Pirates finally make a playoff push this year.
    Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here? Although I never looked at how other guys set their rosters late in the year, I never got the impression that teams were purposely tanking. Maybe giving some prospects time late in the season when they're out of it, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.

15. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

1. How do you think your offseason went? It was a pretty non eventful offseason for the Yankees. We mostly struck out on the few free agents out there that we had interest in, although we did get Billy Butler, I'm excited to see how he does.
    2. Any additions you are excited about? See Billy Butler above. I'm also excited to see how some of our younger guys do this year in their first real shot at the starting jobs.
    3. Any losses from last year you are going to miss? - Not right now, A-Rod retired and although he wasn't bad last year, we are glad to be rid of his contract. We may end of missing Betemit's power, but we'll go with young speed instead. Now if I can just get rid of CC's contract...
    4. What are your expectations for this season? Wildcard or bust, but I'm really not sure what to expect with 4 new starters.
    5. Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year? Justin Lumsd, our #1 pick from 3 years ago with get first crack in left field. Also, due to the injury to Matt Joyce, Abraham Almonte will begin the season as the starter in RF. Greene will also begin the season at 3B after spending last year as a bench player.
    6. How do your finances look this year? Looking real good, we have about 40 million of space left as of right now. Depending on how things go, we will either be in a position to buy if we are contenders or be able to dump CC if needed.
    7. What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team? I'm not really surprised by anything in this game now, sometimes things seem to be so random. Sabathia's decline last year was surprising and disappointing. It's amazing how quickly some guys fall off the cliff.
    8. Care to throw any predictions out there around the league? I think Baltimore will win the AL and Atlanta the NL, with the Orioles winning it all unfortunately.
    9. Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here? While I like the draft lottery idea, I don't think it will help much in baseball. Let them tank if they want to, it only hurts their budget and fan interest. Now if it's the same teams doing it every year and not getting the benefits of high draft picks due to mismanagement, we have a whole other problem on our hands.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  16. PAgamer07

Brian.. also guys just come from nowhere too. Cutch is already on the decline but im happy with some other players progressing well too

17. Ken Welsch

Ken Welsch BTFD!

Update:
    • Some things changed when Rafael Soriano signed a very team-friendly contract. He is injured at the outset but will be ready to go very soon and is another option in the event that substitute closer Lester Oliveros struggles a little bit.
    • My trade with Miami changes things a little bit too. Kyle Skipworth will be eased into the lineup splitting time with Tim Fiedorowicz and should add a much needed boost in the power department. The trade also netted a couple of good young pitchers as well.
    • The other effect of this trade is that Liam Hendriks is now in Miami, which clears a spot for Garrett Gould to strut his stuff in the majors.
    • Edwin Encarnacion has spent the last two seasons as the primary DH. This year, he will be used more often at 3B, which might be a recipe for disaster, but will allow the team to utilize their many 1B/OF bats.
    • Amaury Capellan had to be returned to St Louis because of his spring training stuggles and a roster squeeze.
    • The Twins feel better about their roster, as they have a lot of weapons to move in and out of their lineup. Still, don't be surprised if they make a move to acquire another right handed hitter or two to balance their roster.

18. PAgamer07

How do you think your offseason went?- Considering the lack of superstars in the free agent pool, I think it went very well. This was the most money we've spent on free agents since starting. It was nice to have some money to play with finally.

Any additions you are excited about?- A lot. We let "Hammer" go to free agency and decided to move our stud OF Eric Fryer for a SP Pitching prospect and CL Andrew Bailey from Boston. We liked Fryer, but he was closing in on 30 years old, and his ratings haven't moved much and still were far behind his potential. We felt a trade was needed before his true potential shows. We upgraded our 3B Position by signing Chase Headley to a hefty contract while trading Connor Gillespie and 2 solid bullpen arms adding an upgrade at catcher as well in Jonathan Lucroy. To replace one of the arms, we moved two prospects for a solid LHP in Sean Burnett.

We then moved a couple more prospects to a solid LH power bat in the OF in Andy Dirks. Although he isn't expected to play every day, he can play all 3 positions and is a dangerous hitter. We added another high strikeout bullpen arm via the Rule 5 draft in Scott Gracey from Toronto. We think this kid has potential to be an excellent short reliever. Finally we splurged on what we felt was the best bullpen arm available in Alexi Ogando, added slugger Nelson Cruz and a solid 4th SP in Jeff Karstens. We are excited about all of these players, and every facet of our team has improved. In the lineup only our starting 2B and SS are the only ones who were opening day starters last year.
    Any losses from last year you are going to miss? Fryer and Gillespie will both be missed, but we fell the team improves across the board and in our minor leagues without them.

What are your expectations for this season? The NL Central looks like the easiest division to win at this point outside of the AL West. No one is dominant, and everyone has a chance. We expect to at least make the playoffs and hopefully another late season push to capture the division. We don't think we have the talent to matchup with San Fran or Atlanta yet.

Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year? Well, 1B Victor Bautista (our very first draft pick) will be the opening starter at 1B. Outside of that.. I really don't expect anyone else to make an appearance.

How do your finances look this year? We're over our budget, but a hair shy of what we ended last season with. Ticket prices though are higher than any point last year, and if we can win? We make a profit.

What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team? I was shocked the Cubs won the division, especially the way they finished. I thought for sure we would win that thing, but fell 1 game short. The Mariners were a huge surpise and goes to show how much an ace is needed and how much actually paying to your attention matters. Jason Kipnis season was a huge shock, and glad JJ locked him up long term. I also continue to be surprised with the Nationals, but that's another story.

Care to throw any predictions out there around the league? Right now the Tigers look like the team to beat in the AL. I like what Raj has built in Baltimore, but he doesn't have the pitching to win a playoff series. He needs to add an Ace if he wants a chance. I think Detroit repeats and wins the AL again, but loses to a far superior NL team. In the NL, it's a given the San Francisco and Atlanta are the cream of the crop. But I think Miami will surprise some people. They have an excellent lineup and now have 3 "Ace" type Starting pitchers. If anyone usurps those two it's Miami.

19. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

• How do you think your offseason went? Fantastic couldnt be happier with the progression of my team
    • Any additions you are excited about? Drew Storen since it allows me to let last yrs top pick develop slower with less pressure
    • Any losses from last year you are going to miss? nope the way we are building if you leave you wont be missed
    • What are your expectations for this season? Floor is 1 game over .500 ceiling is the world series. I estimate a 85-77 season is likely
    • Do you have any prospects looking to make their debuts this year? Nope i called them all up at the half way point last yr to get the jitters out and so far it is paying off
    • How do your finances look this year? Same as last yr i will make a small profit with a 40 mill salary compared to budget. Until it is go mode this is the routine for now since fan interest is so low
    • What were some big surprises from last season around the league and from your own team? Kevin Smith is everything as advertised
    • Care to throw any predictions out there around the league? Not really to be honest i spend literally 20 hrs a week on ootp setting things up and never have free time to check other guys out unless we are trading.
    • Rumor has it that the commissioners are discussing ways to curtail "tanking" whether it be some sort of performance related penalty, a draft lottery, or even ensuring that all teams are at least trying to put a quality product on the field. What are your thoughts here? i think if people cant police themselves in a gentlemen's league and are trying to blatantly abuse player options and tanking on purpose and it is proven....BOOT EM

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

• Like Like x 2
  21. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On