2015 Miami Hurricanes Outlook-Offense

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by jca312, Apr 15, 2010.

1. jca312

jca312 Walk On

2015 Miami Hurricanes Outlook-Offense

High Hopes-2015 Hurricanes
    [​IMG]
    Freshman Phenom, Darrell Marquardt, returns to lead the more experienced Hurricanes

In 2014, Miami suffered from the inexperience of youth. The Canes lost to National Champions, Florida State, National Runners-up, Ohio State, ACC Coastal Division Champions, Georgia Tech, and SEC Champion, LSU. The Hurricanes finished 2nd in the Coastal Division and earned an At Large bid to the Sugar Bowl, where they lost 31-17 to the LSU Tigers. This was the first time in 5 years the Canes failed to win 10 games. The silver lining is the experience gained by the underclassmen.

3-star Athlete Darrell Marquardt came in and started all 13 games for Miami as a true freshman. Marquardt doesn’t have a cannon or pinpoint accuracy, but he is effective, he threw for 2,976 yards and 19 touchdowns last year. He is also a serious threat to run with above average speed and the ability to run defenders over. He will get a few called run plays and he is learning when to tuck the ball and run instead of forcing passes, he threw 12 interceptions last year and if the Canes are going to be successful, that has to be fixed.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    How high Miami climbs will depend on the arm and legs of Marquardt​

Marquardt gets all of his receivers back, led by 6’5†All-American Art Felder. Felder is a big target strong enough to break tackles and fast enough to take it the distance if he gets a step. John Bennett is smaller, but has better hands and made countless big 3rd down catches in traffic for Miami last year. 6’7†Austin Copeland made big strides last year as a redshirt freshman starting in the slot and earning Freshman All-American honors. Kirk Griffin, Dwayne Ray, and Deonne Ingram round out the receiving corps, Ingram caught a big touchdown 2 years ago in the BCS Championship Game win over Boise State.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 Art Felder, 1 John Bennett, and 9 Austin Copeland will be a handful for opposing secondaries in 2015

Miami returns all of their tight ends and redshirt junior Josh Gallagher worked hard in the offseason and supplanted last year’s starter, Davon Johnson, who will be the 2nd tight end in 2 tight end sets and the backup fullback. Eric Johnson will be the 3rd tight end and get reps in short yardage and goal line situations.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    45 Josh Gallagher is the new starting tight end for Miami, beating out 19 Davon Johnson who will be the backup at tight end and fullback

The biggest offensive loss for Miami came from the interior of the offensive line when right guard Mike Gaddis, left guard John Watson, and center Billy Marks all graduated, but their replacements look more than capable in preseason workouts. Redshirt sophomore Jonas Porter will start at center and seems to be ready to lead the line. Senior Vic Phillips will start at left guard and redshirt sophomore Kenneth Andrews will move from left guard and start at right guard this season. Redshirt senior Mike Thomas and redshirt junior David McCoy returns as starters at right and left tackle, respectively.

Running behind Miami’s revamped line will be 2014’s leading rusher for the Canes, Garrett Kirby. Kirby earned All-American honors last year, his first season as a starter, after rushing for over 1,000 yards. Kirby had to sit behind All-Time Hurricane leading rusher Lamar Miller for 2 years and took full advantage of his first opportunity to start in the backfield. Sophomores Ron Robinson and Craig Leslie will back Kirby up and junior Anthony McDonald will start at fullback for the first time in 2015.

All in all, what the Canes lack in experience on offense, they make up for with talent and athletic ability. Coach Alexander is very excited about this group and says they remind him a lot of the 2012 National Championship Team. “We didn’t have any stars that year, we just had a lot of really good players.†Alexander said, “I feel we are a pretty complete team on offense and have a lot of weapons that will be difficult to stop. People are going to think I’m crazy because we lost 13 starters, but I’ve seen all these guys in practice everyday and I think they can step right in and make plays for us. We only have 5 seniors on our roster, 4 of which are starters. I see us making a 2-year run at this thing. Another crystal ball would look good in our trophy case.â€

Defensive Outlook Preview (Will be posted soon)
    Miami replaces 9 starters on defense, but don't let that fool you. They have a lot of talented players who've been biding their time waiting for a shot at the spotlight and they are ready, willing, and able to step up now that they've been presented an opportunity. Tory Irby looks to be the only true freshman starter on the team as the 2nd defensive tackle. Returning starters, middle linebacker Danny Nicholson and cornerback Bobby Montoya will lead the Miami defense in 2015.
    Full write-up to come.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    13 Danny Nicholson and 20 Bobby Montoya are the most experienced Canes returning on defense​

2. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

JCA...you never lest us own man. You have by far the best write ups and recaps man. Miami has a lot coming back on offense and you may have the upper hand in the coastal division. I was thinking G-Unit might be the one to beat, but with your talent, the MiamiGT game is going to be a war.

3. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Thanks RTP, G-Unit and I do always have good games. He's beaten me a couple times in a row now, I need to step up and bring it when they visit us this year. It's gonna be a tough one, just like my game against you.

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I love the "Tech" "U" match-up every year....

Our players better strap-up their chin guards that week...lol

5. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

I think the "U" can make a run for the ACC Championship if all new faces on Defense work out. Offesnse looks very loaded

6. jca312

jca312 Walk On

2015 Miami Hurricanes Outlook-Defense

High Hopes-2015 Hurricanes
    Defense

[​IMG]
    Danny Nicholson leads the Canes Defense

On defense, Miami graduated 9 starters; middle linebacker Danny Nicholson and cornerback Bobby Montoya are the only returning defensive starters. Tyrone Kirby, who started his career as a linebacker and moved to defensive end last year to give Miami some depth is back at linebacker and will start to the right of Nicholson. At left outside linebacker, speedy, violent redshirt junior Joey Williams gets the nod. Williams definitely brings the lumber and made several big plays in limited playing time last year.

[​IMG]
    Joey Williams sacks the Georgia quarterback​

The defensive line will be completely new. Lance Reyes will be one of the starting defensive tackles, filling in for the departed Randall Dortch who clogged up the middle and made running up the gut on Miami a tall task. Sophomore Andre Hodges will battle incoming freshman Troy Irby for the second defensive tackle starting spot. Junior Andrew Everett and senior Leo Herring will start at the end positions and both can get after opposing quarterbacks. Sophomores Patrick Rogers, Jeremy Ross, and Maurice Brown will be ready to fill in but aren’t quite ready to step into the starting positions.

The secondary only returns 2 players with meaningful game experience; All-American cornerback Bobby Montoya started last year as the #2 cornerback and Jared Palmer saw a lot of time in Miami’s Nickel and Dime packages. The player with the biggest shoes to fill is strong safety, Melvin Brewer. Isaac Andrews was a 3-year starter and led the Hurricanes defense the last 2 years. Brewer is a very talented safety and will have to use every ounce of his talent to fill the void left by Andrews. Starting next to Brewer will be redshirt junior Paul Henderson. Henderson was a JUCO transfer that sat out last year while he learned the defense. Montoya and Palmer will start as the cornerbacks and can both cover with the best of them, but lay the wood when given the opportunity. Montoya is tied with Nicholson as the leading returning tackler for the Canes. Whether or not Miami can contend for an ACC Championship this year will depend heavily on how quickly the new starters can get acclimated. Should be an interesting year for the Canes with a tough schedule, prediction, 9-3.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Jared Palmer and Bobby Montoya will start in the Canes secondary​