2015 Pre-Season Interviews

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by MaxATX34, Feb 2, 2011.

1. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

[​IMG]
    With the NFL lockout, ESPN has been pimping College Football even harder this year. They have you on the phone and the fans want to know...

1. How did your recruiting class look on the practice field? Better than expected, or did it just look good on paper?

2. Any position battles going on right now? Any new faces or Freshman starters/contributors?

3. What player will have the biggest impact on your squad this year? Offense? Defense?

4. How is the recruiting trail treating you this season?

5. Finally, give us a prediction. Is this the year?

2. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

1. How did your recruiting class look on the practice field? Better than expected, or did it just look good on paper?​
    They came in pretty good. Some hard misses here and there, but overall we were pleased. Filled some needs and set ourselves up nicely for this season. With 26 Freshman and 19 Seniors we have a good mix of youth and experience. We will definitely be green next season though.

2. Any position battles going on right now? Any new faces or Freshman starters/contributors?
    There was an intense competition between all the new receivers we brought in. The #1, #2, and #3 slots were locked up, but the 4, 5, and 6 were wide open. Three true Freshman will occupy those positions with Howard, the :5stars: recruit, sewing up the #4 position. He'll see the field quite a bit this year. Also, there is an ongoing battle for the nickel CB position between [Shannon] Fowler and Joe Young the rookie. Right now we've got a redshirt on Young, but if Fowler or one of the other vets cant get it done I wont hesitate to put Joe on the field.

3. What player will have the biggest impact on your squad this year? Offense? Defense?
    On offense I guess it'd have to be the guy who touches the ball every play. If QB Kevin Williams can replicate what he did last season in relief of Connor Wood the offense should be fine. He has some deadly weapons in the pass game this year. On Defense it'd have to be Senior MLB Rod Williams. I cant tell you how happy I am about this lockout.

Well, we've seen better years. Texas as a state is lacking recruits this season and that means trouble for us. We have a lot of spots to fill, but we may not be able to fill them all. Rebuilding the offensive line is priority #1 for us and we're young everywhere else. We'll also need a QB for the future, but everything else besides an O-Line will be gravy.

On paper it sure looks like it. Texas has the roster to compete with anyone. Starting off #1 is never easy though, and not many teams stay #1 for a long time. I figure we'll drop a game or two to one of the big boys. Lets just hope its not Oklahoma.

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

1. How did your recruiting class look on the practice field? Better than expected, or did it just look good on paper?

Looked good for the most part. No real pleasant surprises...everyone kind of came in where you would think they would.

We were pretty much established across the board this year except at QB. Jon Richardson will get to start the season. We hope he is good enough to not cost us any games.

Offense it will be our RB core of McNair and Dixon. They should compliment us very well and open up things for our excellent WR George Moody.

We haven't really started yet. We only have a few need positions so this year will be going after the biggest fish we can get. We had a ton of interest form the ESPN U top 150 across the country, so we are kind of branching out into states we usually don't do much work in.

I guess you never know.....I'll come back and update this question after week 1 ;)

4. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

1. How did your recruiting class look on the practice field? Better than expected, or did it just look good on paper? The recruiting class looks good on the practice field and except for 1 or 2 that is the only action they will see. Most of the recruits were signed by the out going coach last year as I only took over before the bowl season. However, we brought in the #4 recruiting class so there is some future talent.

2. Any position battles going on right now? Any new faces or Freshman starters/contributors? Every position has a position battle going as myself and my new coaching staff have given all the players a clean slate. Every position will be evaluated every week based on your performance on the field. DT - Brandon Franklin will get the start as a true freshman. Franklin comes in as a pass rushing DT at 6-4' 266lbs. He is light but we are hoping with his quickness he can get around blocks and cause havoc in the backfield.

On offense it will be the play of SR-QB Kyle Moore. The Duck offense will lean heavy on Moore to make the right decisions and move the ball down the field. Moore starts his senior as a first year starter with rating of 99-overall, 94-awarenss, 90-throwing power, and 98-throwing accuracy. There are no standouts on defense. It will truly be a group effort to slow the oppenents offense down. I believe the previous coaching staff was more offensively minded so the defensive side of the ball suffered on landing talent.

It is too early too tell yet on how this years recruiting tral will go. As I stated before our defensive side of the ball is way behind the offense so we will be concentrating on bringing in some talent on defense so we can take pressure off of the offense having to out score people to get wins.

5. Finally, give us a prediction. Is this the year? We will know the caliber of team we have early as we play #11 Ohio State and #9 Alabama in weeks 1 and 2. I don't believe this will be our year as our defense is very average. This year our goal is to win our conference and make it to a BCS bowl game.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Some guys came in a bit worse than we were hoping, but they're going to get the chance to prove their worth on the field. We are really young on the offensive side of the ball, so pretty much any freshman coming in has a chance to play right away.

No real position battles per se, but there will be a number of new players on the field on offense. Returning QB Trey Jones will be handing off to incoming JUCO SO HB Kyle Hawkins and FB Mark Brown will likely play some HB in short yardage sets. The only returning WR with any experience is Scott Vinson, who was the #5 WR last season. Freshmen WR's Antonio Walker and Anthony Daniels are expected to get heavy playing time right away. The TE is new as well, with freshman Darrell Harvey stepping in right away as the starter.

The defense is a bit more experienced, as we only lost a few starters. The team will move to the 3-4 this year, and DE's Josh Cole and Ben Graham were moved to OLB this offseason to fill out the pass rush. The team will likely rotate several LB's in during games depending on situation, but the defense is led by returning starter at MLB Michael Penn.

On offense, the answer is easy - QB Trey Jones. Jones was a huge surprise last year, as he set the single season school record for passing yards and TD's, and set an NCAA record for QB rating. He loses all his receiving weapons last year, but this offense will only go as far as he can get them.

On defense, I don't know that one player will have a huge impact. By moving to the 3-4, I'm hoping to be a bit less predictable on defense and get more contributions from across the board.

Moving to a 6 star program is huge. We have a ton of good players who have LSU in the top 5, and with only 14 available scholarships I can finally afford to be picky about who I go after.

I'm not sure if it is or not, but with a week 2 game vs Texas, we'll have an idea. But I'm going with the confidence route, since I've been on a good run lately. I think we surprise everyone and make a run at the title this year.

6. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

The incoming class looked pretty good in spring practice. The offensive big guns at QB and WR came in a little lower rated than expected but a few of the defensive recruits came in at the 80-82 range, which was much needed.

We will be forced to start a freshman at OLB and the freshman five star DT should see some solid playing time this year.

We all know what superstars Mike Ryan at HB and Rob Morris at WR bring to the table but the biggest difference this year could be at the QB position where Alabama transfer Jimmie Mathis takes over. He is the best pure passer ND has had in a few years so we will see what he can do with an excellent WR core and a new offense.

Things are looking decent as a number of four star and a couple five star players have ND as their #1 choice so it appears to be shaping up as a decent year for the Irish.

We are playing a lot of teams that we don't normally have on our schedule so this will be an interesting year. Offensively we should be able to play with anyone in the country but defensively we just haven't been able to bring in the recruits to put together a top rated D. If the D steps up and plays solid in some big games, we could finish top 5 and make a run at a title.

7. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

They looked like ass. We only brought in 5 scrubs last year. We have signed 2 players already this season and i'd say this year's class is already better.

NO!

QB Gee Grenouille will be starting for the first time this season. The kid has a good enough arm to make most of the throws, but he is extremely accurate.

So far, pretty good. We have some nice players interested in our program and are looking forward to signing them.

8-4.

8. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Well the most impressive player from this class was junior college transfer Tony Williams. The wide receiver jumped rising sophomore Shawn Wilson for the #3 spot on the depth chart, meaning Wilson falls to #5. Fellow receiver Terrance Jean won't see much action at receiver this year but he is handling return duty this season. He will be a great deep threat in 1 to 2 seasons. Florida landed a couple more JUCO players who could see the field this year, mostly in reserve duty. MLB Derrick Louis and FS Michael Mays are expected to play in reserve roles, giving Florida some depth while the youngsters develop.

All my cornerbacks are terrible so Ryan Davis may see action early. I have a converted strong safety playing as the #1 and a couple of equally bad players behind him. Justin Jude could see the field in some formations if we decide to go with a bigger look. He can slide into the TE spot as Guidry goes out to be a receiver. As stated above, Tony Williams will be starting at #3 WR so he should be a prime target for Scott Graham. Antwaun O'Neil is the top player to watch on the defensive side. The redshirt freshman MLB is a monster. With seniors Fields and O'Conner in from of him on depth chart, O'Neil will be getting time on the outside.

On offense the player we want to rely on is HB Sammie Moore. Moore was the #3 HB for much of last season but injuries to Ryne Harris (pussy) helped Moore to finish #2 in yards and touchdowns. This season Moore got off to a great start with 160 yards and 2 TD against USC, but was injured in that game. He will miss 5 weeks. The other leaders on offense will be Justin Guidry, Antonio Jones and Herman Adams. Those 3 form a a very strong nucleus for Weaver and should help spread out the defense. On defense the most important players will be free safety Clay Smith and strong safety Kevin Walker. The cornerback position is the weakness of this team so Smith/Walker will be the last line of defense. The front seven led by MLB Timothy Fields should be very productive again.

It is tough to say at this point. I have some promising players looking at my school but it will be interesting to see how we fare in that area. I really need to strengthen my secondary and add depth to the offensive line. I am loaded at skill positions on offense, so those will be mostly ignored this season. I wasted a scholarship on a mediocre :4stars: QB that likely never sees the field. I might regret that if I use all 18 scholarships, but last year I finished with 9 scholarships unused.

I am going 13-1 with the one and only loss coming to Alabama in week 5. I will win the SEC Championship and get into the BCS championship despite dropping that week 5 game. Technically I probably could have lost week 1 and 5, yet still had a chance at BCS Championship ala Perry and Max.

9. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

About where I thought it would. Some surprises as 4* MLB Jake Robinson came in an 81 and is playing ILB in 3-4 sets. He had 13 tackles against the Huskers. 4* CB Ben Williams came in at 80 and is starting CB as well. WR Jason McGee came in as an 80 and is drawing comparisons to Kyle Prater.

QB is a battle with soph Nick Patterson and Freshman Andy Atkinson are duking it out to establish dominance.

Offense: HB Adam Johnson
    Defence: DE Rod Rouse

3 4* signed

5. Finally, give us a prediction. Is this the year? 9-4. I don't expect to win any of the user games as my team is a B rating. Rebuilding year.