2015 Preseason Preview

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

***Please keep in mind that all of the below is based on returning players only (no recruits) and is obviously prior to any progression.***

Preseason All-T3 Team

Offense – 1st Team
    QB Brent Wright, Nebraska
    HB Andy Frank, Florida St
    FB Rasheed Whitehead, Penn St
    WR Joel Fernandez, Penn St
    WR Todd Manning, USC
    TE John Cantrell, Florida St
    LT Larry Ham, Ohio St
    LG Rory Alexander, Ohio St
    C Justin Moore, Ohio St
    RG Joe Stevenson, UCLA
    RT Neal Williams, USC

Offense – 2nd Team
    QB Brenton Newby, Florida St
    HB Martin Jones, Oklahoma
    FB Jordan Jones, Texas
    WR Carlos Woods, Texas
    WR John Weber, Oklahoma
    TE Adam McNeal, UCLA
    LT Russell Washington, Nebraska
    LG Terrence Brink, USC
    C Zach Madison, Minnesota
    RG Tony Swan, USC
    RT Ali Mangum, Nebraska

Defense – 1st Team
    DE Gordon Cantrell, USC
    DE Jeremy Jones, Penn St
    DT Brady Hill, Ohio St
    DT Brandon Robbins, Ohio St
    OLB Christian Barber, USC
    OLB Michael Stone, Ohio St
    MLB Chris Wright, Florida St
    CB Josh Holloway, Texas
    CB Tyler Thompson, Nebraska
    FS Cedric Heinz, Texas
    SS Daniel Morgan, Nebraska

Defense – 2nd Team
    DE Marcus Bowman, Nebraska
    DE Andrew Carlton, Nebraska
    DT Chris Jackson, USC
    DT Joseph Chambers, Florida St
    OLB Thomas Humphrey, USC
    OLB Jermaine Miller, Florida St
    MLB Daryll Kimbrough, Penn St
    CB Kyle Wilson, Penn St
    CB Ross Hand, Ohio St
    FS Robert Bowser, Florida St
    SS Herb Hill, Texas

Special Teams
    K Aaron Allen, Ohio St
    P Ron Keenan, Texas

2. Dru50

Power Rankings – Preseason Overall

1. - [​IMG]Two time defending BCS champion who hasn’t lost a game in 2+ seasons. The king of the mountain until someone can knock him off.

2. - [​IMG]Brave will wear the crown of ‘biggest disappointment’ if he can’t win with this roster. Easily the most talented team on paper, top to bottom.

3. - [​IMG]He lost one game last year, by 1 point to Penn St. He brings back a lot of talent, and if Sean Salas had stayed in school for his senior season, he’d be in the #2 spot.

4. - [​IMG]Brent Wright passing on the pro’s gives Blonde a shot this year, but can he carry an offense with average WR’s and no proven talent at HB?

5. - [​IMG]The Seminoles got absolutely shellacked in the BCS title game by Penn St. QB Brenton Newby, HB Andy Frank and MLB Chris Wright look to lead the team to a 4th straight ACC crown and hopefully contend for a national title.

6. - [​IMG]Twist finally broke the Slick strangle hold on the Big 12, can he do it again? The talent is there for another run, and if he beats Blonde again, the conference is likely his for the taking.

7. - [​IMG]Probably the biggest surprise of 2014 was the fall of the Horns. They lost a ton of hugely talented seniors who didn’t perform, but the cupboard isn’t bare. Can Slick rebound with a lot of youth at key offensive positions?

8. - [​IMG]Perry lost his two most dangerous offensive weapons at HB last year, how will he replace them? Can his defense outperform the talent? Will Cole ever show up for the USC-UCLA game?

9. - [​IMG]Beazus broke in a new QB last season, and he’s back with some weapons at WR. But can he ever beat OSU or PSU?

10. - [​IMG]Vandermint should have won the ACC but for some really bad luck on a few plays in the championship game. Losing Bernard at HB is a killer, it will be interesting to see what he does on offense this year to make up for him being gone.

11. - [​IMG]Jman beating Texas with this team last year was perhaps the shock game of 2014. However, the talent at HB is gone, and this team just doesn’t seem to have the team speed he’ll need to compete with Texas/OU/Nebraska.

12. - [​IMG]I’m not sure what Wazzou’s plan is at QB, and his team really made strides last year, but this is still a rebuilding team. Can he make it 2 years in a row in the top 25?

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Nice work as always Dru. The Buckeyes will have the best o-line in football next season so hopefully someone can finally block the Penn State defensive ends. Defensive line should be good as well and I might play more 4-3 next season thanks to those defensive tackles. The linebacker core of Stone, Davis and Norton should be stellar as well. Aaron Allen will continue to kick 60+ yard field goals for one more season, so everyone can look forward to that.

4. Dru50

Power Rankings – Preseason Offense

1. - [​IMG]Returns a senior QB and has 7 offensive lineman rated 90+. The WR corp may be an issue, but this team definitely has the talent up the middle to succeed.

2. - [​IMG]Much like Ohio St, Nebraska gets the nod at #2 due to the return of Brent Wright at QB and 5 senior starters on the OL (4 rated 90+). If he can figure out what he’ll do at HB he should be fine.

3. - [​IMG]He has a young QB that played very well last year, and he’s shown the ability to score on anyone. The question will be if his offense becomes less dangerous without the threat of the QB option plays.

4. - [​IMG]Even without Salas, Cole has a senior QB/WR/HB combo that are all rated 90+. That’s enough to get it done.

5. - [​IMG]Newby and Frank are back for the 3rd straight year, but will the new WR’s make enough plays to keep teams honest?

6. - [​IMG]He has talent, but it’s all young. Will the youth at QB/HB/OL gell quickly enough or cost him some early games as they learn the ropes?

7. - [​IMG]Great skill position talent, but the OL scares me. The highest rated returning OL is 80 OVR.

8. - [​IMG]Quinton Robinson at QB is a star in the making, and he has some WR’s to throw to.

9. - [​IMG]Senior heavy offense that isn’t terribly fast (only one offensive player returns with 90+ speed). Similar to FSU last year, he’ll likely need to scheme it up to generate big plays.

10. - [​IMG]WR Zeph Thomas is a better weapon than anyone on Oklahoma St or Washington St, which gets UNC the nod here.

11. - [​IMG]It will be interesting to see how Jman gets a running game going without the beasts he had in the backfield last year.

12. - [​IMG]Only one guy on offense rated 80+ prior to progression and his highest rated QB is below 70 OVR. Could get ugly.

5. Dru50

Power Rankings – Preseason Defense

1. - [​IMG]The most talented defense on paper, his two stud DT’s (the top 2 rated in the country) will make running inside tough on opponents.

2. - [​IMG]The only thing making me like Ohio St’s defense better is the MLB void at USC. Everything else you want on defense is there.

3. - [​IMG]Lost some playmakers in the front 7, but he still probably has the fastest defense in the land.

4. - [​IMG]The talent is spread out nicely on the defensive side of the ball. Doesn’t have the glaring talent that Ohio St has, but he also doesn’t have any holes on this side of the ball.

5. - [​IMG]Twist fields the best group of CB’s in the nation, and with how much passing is key, that is a big deal.

6. - [​IMG]Blonde has some top notch talent at DE and CB, but the lack of depth throughout the defense is concerning.

7. - [​IMG]Perry’s talent isn’t as high as some other teams, but he knows that 3-4 scheme inside and out, which helps make up for some of that.

8. - [​IMG]On paper this defense should be great, but switching to a 3-4 look will bring growing pains to Tallahassee.

9. - [​IMG]The talent is pretty good, but it’s also pretty young. This group is probably a year away from really making some noise in the Big 10.

10. - [​IMG]Front 7 looks good, but the lack of top end speed in the secondary could spell trouble.

11. - [​IMG]Old and not extremely talented, not a great combination.

12. - [​IMG]Wazzou is going to have to stop folks with smoke and mirrors, because I don’t see the raw talent on the roster he’ll need to contend.

6. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Now I know why everyone wants to play my team, we fucking suck

7. Dru50

unfortunately, I think you are on to something there....

8. gowazzucougs

My two QBs haven't progressed as well I was hoping. I am thinking Romero will be at 70 after progression, along with my two 4 star ATHs who are most likely playing quarterback next year I don't think this is a total lost. As for my defense Dru I honestly think my defense has improved. Most of my defensive starter are rated in the mid 70's. This might not cut it at FSU, but WSU this is a vast improvement from my first season. I will acknowledge I am weak at corner, that is why I recruited 4 corner backs, and one line backer position, but honestly this team has improved.

9. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Dru - great job man. I really look forward to these rankings.

10. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Very nice work Dru. If another user had my team the Buckeyes would be the clear favorite to win it all. Unfortunately I have not been able to play up to the level of my team. I should find a different player to split duties. I can recruit talent but I just can't get the most out of those players.

11. Dru50

I could only base this off of the rosters as they stand right now, so I had no basis of comparison to where you might have been previously.

12. gowazzucougs

I know, but if you are thinking I am going to use smoke and mirrors on defense this season, you got to be wondering what I was doing the past three seasons especially the first two. Overall, this is very good, and has given us a conversation starter for tonight's offseason

13. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Good job man, although I'll say the two issues you brought up with my team are solvable. I will have two 90+ receivers and some receivers in the 80s so I don't know how average that is, but they certainly aren't my strong point. As for depth on defense, I have lots of incoming :4stars: in key positions on defense, so my depth will be better by season's start. Great job on the rankings, I love these.

14. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

Great thread Dru.

15. Dru50

By 'average' I was really referring to the fact that your receiving corp is not really very fast, you seem to have a number of possession receivers. Your two 90+ WR's have 88 and 87 speed, respectively, I believe. Speaking as a guy who just went through a season with a receiving corp full of possession guys (my top 3 WR's had nobody with a speed higher than 88), it's tough to consistently keep drives going in user games if you can't threaten your opponent over the top. That's one of the things that made my games vs Ohio St and Penn St so tough, both those teams could just load up on the run and short throws because my WR's couldn't beat man to man coverage downfield.

Maybe you'll have more success than I did, but I think you are going to see a lot of fronts designed to keep Wright in the pocket and shut down him running the ball this year.

16. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Great preview Dru!

17. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Awesome job Dru. I think this years Ohio State team mirrors last years Texas team. OSU has I think close to 30, 90+ovr players. I am just hoping for the same outcome.....

My pick would be USC, they too have 20+, 90+ovr players. Depending on FSU OOC schedule they may be back as well. So without picking my own team.

USC vc FSU with FSU again playing second fiddle.....

18. Dru50

I like the USC pick as well. If you ever drop a game this year, I think Cole could be the next title winner.

I'll do one final preseason prediction tonight after I get a chance to see Brave's schedules for everyone - where I'll pick who I think wins each conference and who my pick for the BCS title game (and BCS title winner is).

19. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Dru - let me save you the trouble of doing another prediction. TEXAS RETURNS TO THE PROMISE LAND AND WINS IT ALL!!

20. Dru50

From what I hear, Brenton Newby/Andy Frank & Co may have something to say about that.....

21. Dru50

After taking a look at the user game schedules - here are my predictions for each conference:

Big 10 - I'm going to regret this, but I'm taking Brave and the Buckeyes to finally get past PSU. I think the change in offensive principles will cost Hokie in this game, as the constant threat of the running QB has made everyone play him differently on defense than what he'll see this year. Leon doesn't play PSU this year, but I don't see him knocking off OSU.

Big 12 - I think top to bottom, this is probably the toughest conference user-wise. Nebraska, Texas and Oklahoma are all BCS title contenders. I think that Texas and OU meet up in the conference title game, and Twist gets off the schnide vs Slick and pulls in his 2nd consecutive Big 12 crown. Don't be shocked if Jman knocks one of these guys off though.

ACC - UNC and FSU will likely meet up twice, once in week 5 and again in the title game. Vandermint is a hell of a player, but the Seminoles will have the definite talent edge in these matchups. I think that FSU makes it 4 in a row in conference.

Pac 10 - Eh, I'll pick USC since Cole never shows up for his games against Perry, and Perry can't beat USC when they are the CPU or in a sim. I think WSU is still a year or two away from having the talent he needs to compete for the conference.

22. Dru50

My prediction for the BCS title:

I think that the title game will be Ohio St vs USC. USC will come in with one loss (to Ohio St), which Cole will avenge in the title game. USC will be your 2015 T3 BCS winner.