2015 Season Preview Thread

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by JCspartan2, Feb 9, 2011.

1. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Everyone post up a little preview of your team for the upcoming season after the offseason tonight/

Things to include:

1. Losses/Additions on Offense
    2. Losses/Additions on Defense
    3. Expectations for the 2015 season
    4. Major changes? I.E. Playbooks, gameplans, etc....
    5. Freshman (and RS Freshman) impact

2. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

[​IMG]
    2015 Michigan State Preview
    1. Michigan State lost a lot of talent on both sides of the ball this offseason.
    Offense: QB Joe Boisture leaves after putting together one of the most successful careers of any quarterback in the nation, possibly only 2nd to Richardson of UF. HB Nick Hill also departs after two years of prosperity behind suspect offensive lines. Three year starter TE Lamont Richards leaves behind a gaping hole at the position. In steps JR QB J.T. Austin, who successfully beat out incoming 5-star recruit Nicolas Brunner for the spot. Austin progressed 6 points in the offseason to get to 88 overall and has phenomenal accuracy. HB Jason Cook, who spelled Hill at times last year and totaled over 400 yards, will tote the rock for the next three years at MSU and he could be a good one. The only freshman that will see any playing time on offense is FB Leon Jensen, who will start from day 1. The offensive line made significant progress from last season, which saw 4 freshman as starters.

Defense: Two year starter, NT Anthony Carter, leaves after being a very serviceable player for MSU. CB Derrick Shelton, who lead the league in INTs last season, also leaves behind some tough shoes to fill after starting for 3 years while CB Kurtis Drummond (INT leader from the year before) also departs. The secondary is the weakest part of the MSU team this season with the departures of these two play makers. In comes freshman CB Jack Allen who will start at the #2 spot. Allen has great ball skills and good speed, once he gets his bearings in the college game he should be a star. Both safeties, DEs, and all of the linebackers return for what should be an excellent run defense. Look for JR DE Braylon Stephens to defend his Bronco Nagurski trophy from last season as the nations sack leader.
    3. A big ten championship is definitely within the realm of possibility for this years squad. Michigan and Penn State both visit East Lansing this year in games that will most likely decide the champ. If MSU can make it through it's early non-conference schedule that end of the season matchup down in Alabama could have national championship expectations. Don't look for MSU to be putting up big numbers on offense, but expect them to be able to shut down most of their opposition.
    4. Initially I had expected QB Brunner to win the starting job and anticipated switching to more of a spread/option based offense. With Austin winning the job and Cook being more of a power back, MSU will continue to play Big Ten ground and pound football. Efficiency and clock management will be key this year.
    5. The only freshman impact will be at CB with Jack Allen. He will have to learn fast in order to soften the blow of loosing 3 CBs from last years squad. JUCO JR TE Mike Morris will start immediately however and his impact will be determined on how well he performs in the passing game, in which Lamont Richards severely suffered.

3. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    • Losses: Devin Gardner leaves Ann Arbor with some spectacular highlights on his resume but also some unfulfilled promise due to injuries and inconsistent play. For the first time in this dynasty Coach Knight will not be able to look down the sideline and have "his" guy to step under center at the start of the season. The early departure of HB David Thomas was a surprise to most observers as he also battled injury most of his Wolverine career before showing his explosive running towards the end of the 2014 Season. On the offensive line the only starter not returning is Dougherty at LG but true Sophomore Zach Fritz steps in after seeing the field in all of the games last year as Dougherty and others nursed injuries.
    • Additions: Five star recruits Joe Fontaine and Adrian Fields will be counted on heavily to provide a running game for UM. Fontaine is not as explosive as Fields from a speed standpoint but will get his fair share of carries this season and may emerge as the workhorse back.
    • Losses: The main losses on the defense are starters, CB Christian and LB Robinson. Both played key roles for the defense.
    • Additions: The defense did not add any new players but MLB JD Jones who redshirted after spending two years at a JUCO will get snaps at all three defensive positions. Also coming off of a redshirt year is FS Anthony Callahan who will see time as a key role player in the nickel and dime packages.
    • With an opening two weeks against Florida State and Florida the #12 ranked Wolverines start off the season against the pre-season ranked #5 and #1 in the polls. After a bye week and hosting Big 12 opponent Missouri, Michigan hosts the Nittany Lions to open Big Ten play. Michigan will have an uphill battle to equal or exceed its 8 - 5 season from one year ago.
    • No major changes are expected.

• HBs Joe Fontaine and Adrian Fields will be the deciding factors for the teams success. Michigan needs the run game to be effective if they are going to find success in 2015.

4. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

2015 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Preview

Last season was very hard to watch for the Yellow Jackets faithful as the team went 3-9. Georgia Tech struggled mightily on offense last season as they transitioned away from the triple option offense. QB Sean Cutler was simply awful. Too many times did he miss wide open receivers or lead the receiver too far resulting in the pass being picked off. Coach Cougs spent a lot of time on the recruiting trail recruiting kids that better fit his offensive philosophy. He brought in three new quarterbacks, who will be vying for the starting QB position along with last year's starter Sean Cutler.

In addition to the three new QBs, Coach Cougs recruited hard at the receiver position. One of the noticeable problems for the Yellow Jackets is the lack of speed at the receiver position, so he brought in five new receivers, two of the five, AJ Walker and Tyrone Holmes, are expected to make an immediate impact.

At the running back position the Yellow Jackets lost Brent Pace, but Coach Cougs believe Everett Gates will be suitable replacement.

On the defensive side of the ball the unit is lead by SS Sean King (93 overall). King missed most of last season because of injury. However, he expects to have an injury free season and make a lasting impact on opposing offenses.

As for wins, things have to improve for the Yellow Jackets. We will see them in Charlotte/Jacksonville for the ACC title game, it is hard to say. There appears to be no freebies on this year's schedule. I think a successful season will be 8-4.

5. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Hey Wazzu, you going to be doing any more of those podcasts this season? I thought those were a really nice touch.

6. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

2015 Florida State Season Preview

The Seminoles are coming off their most successful season under coach dakota, winning the ACC title and finishing #2 in the country. The Noles return 8 starters on offense and defense each. However, the team will be replacing 4 superstar players who all declared early for the NFL.

Offense -- The premature departure of QB David Lucas and HB Will Washington leaves gigantic holes. Lucas will be replaced by rsFreshman Colt Thompson, who brings a lot of talent but no experience to the team. Thompson features a strong arm (89 thp) and quick feet (81 spd), but is inaccurate (78 tha) and still learning his position (73 awr). Washington's replacement will be familiar to ACC foes, rsJunior Danny Mason has had 2 productive seasons for the Noles, first as their primary kick returner as a freshman and last year as Washington's top back-up. Mason ran for over 450 yards last year and 8 tds. Mason isn't the bruiser that Washington was (88 brk tkl), but is much faster (95 spd, 93 acc) than Washington was. E league Freshman of the year, WR Derek McCray returns for his sophmore season and figures to again be the featured target on the team. However, senior Greg Flowers and sophmore Jonathan Green provide the young Thompson with plenty of weapons.

Defense -- Similar to the offensive unit, the defense has big holes to fill. Juniors Kelechi Givens and Kurt Wright left early for the NFL, forcing the Noles to look to unproven underclassmen and a rsSenior to fill the void. The strength of this unit is the secondary, where senior safeties Stephen Fowler and John Berry provide the talented corners, Justin Cross and Phillip Cummings, the freedom to play aggressively on the outside. OLB Josh Brown leads a talented linebacking corps, which attempts to replace MLB Jeff Luc with Juco LB Seth Samuel. Samuel is a freak who boasts incredible speed (88 spd 99 acc) for the linebacker position. ACC offensive coordinators will know this kid by the end of the season.

This was supposed to be the year the Noles mounted a serious BCS championship run, however early departures have depleted 4 important positions on this team. Challenging for another ACC title seems realistic at this point, anything more than that would be surprising.

7. gowazzucougs

I have been meaning to do some, but I have been busy, and the past few days I have been sick. So you probably don't want to hear my non radio voice at the moment.

8. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

No worries brother. I was just checking to see if it was in your plans. I'd probably be willing to do an interview for you if you are looking for that.

9. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

2015 Virginia Cavaliers

Big loss was our Sophmore RB Graham to the draft. Gonna need a group effort to replace the numbers he put up in the 2014 season. The Cav's will be using the Nebraska play book this season, trying to continue a power running attack. The HB's are young and unproven. The main HB will be Sophmore Daniel Gatewood. But true Freshman FB Damine Scott will see alot of action at the HB position as well. At 6'1", 255 lbs, the kid is a load with decent speed and acceleration. The offense also features some big targets for whomever wins the QB battle (all my QB's are clones it seems). The top 3 WR's are 6'2", 6'2" and 6'5". Our 2 TE's are also monsters size wise, at 6'8" and 6'6". The Cavs look to exploit smaller DB's with the overall size and girth of their receiving core. The O-Line is young and could be a big weakness.

Defense is where this team should be alright. With all 11 starters being Seniors and Juniors, the defense looks to continue what it did late last season in shutting down the opposition. If they can do that, and the offense can muster anything, the Cav's could be in the hunt for the ACC title. Realistically, 6-6 might be a good season with this team. We'll get a real test week 1 with a trip to Baton Rouge to take on the #2 ranked Tigers (thanks for the cup cake opener JC [​IMG])

10. gowazzucougs

The real question are the Cavs going to score more than 9 points when the Yellow Jackets go up to play in Charlottesville?

11. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Haha believe me I tried giving everyone cupcake openers, but if we are all going to have 4 user games it was next to impossible.

12. gowazzucougs

No Virginia does have a cupcake on its schedule, I believe the cupcake has powder blue frosting...

13. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

No, I didnt see the Cougs on my schedule!

14. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

No, the real question is am I going to need to score more than 9 [​IMG]

15. Masler

Masler Moderator

Losing Darren Wilson will hurt and we will need to find someone to fill his very big shoes. A couple speedy receivers but that won't be as to fill as a HB. We did sign a 5 star HB in the offseason that showed a bit of skill in the first week. Not a whole lot of additions

Losing CB Fulton will hurt but Matt Lopez should fit right in with the rest of the secondary.

I want the National Title. I want to win the SEC. It's time for the Gators to take a seat....ALABAMA IS HERE!! ROLL TIDE!!

I have a few things up my sleeve I'm not willing to quite reveal yet. But no playbook change.

I believe the FR TE and FR HB on my offense will be making a name for themselves as well as the FR CB Matt Lopez. I'd have to look at some others to see if I have more that could make an impact.

16. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Penn State

1. Losses/Additions on Offense:
    The Nittany Lions lost two huge players on the offensive side of the ball in Terry Mayes and Ryan Logan. Both were 2 and 3 year starters respectively and will be sorely missed. We also lost our starting tackles, center, fullback and one of our wideouts. Replacing these guys will not be easy but we have confidence in our new guys. Replacing QB Mayes will not be easy but Joe Redd has the potential to be very good. He's a senior so he's ready for the challenge. He's not quite as good throwing the ball as Mayes but he has great mobility and should give this offense a different dimension. Don't get me wrong, he's still got a great arm but will have to limit turnovers. One thing going for Redd is that his receiving core is much improved over last season. Returning is Senior All-American Jason Thompson. He scored 12 TD's last season and this year looks even more improved. Junior Jay Roberts had a great spring and looks ready to take the next step in his collegiate career. We're also very excited about 5* freshman Lance Stewart. We were able to out muscle Ohio St for the services of the High School All-American and he looks to contribute in a big way in his first season. Junior Joel Campbell looks to replace All-American Ryan Logan. We don't expect Campbell to do what Logan did but he does have a bit more speed and he may have to be a workhorse as we really don't have a clear cut #2 on the squad. Logan always had Silas Redd backing him up so he would always stay fresh, Campbell doesn't have that luxury so he may have to get 25 carries a game. He needs to stay healthy for us to have a chance at a Big-10 title. Senior TE Craig Dingle returns for his senior season and looks to continue his impact that he had last season. He has great hands so look for Redd to look often for the big target. The offensive line is a bit rebuilt but it still has a bunch of talent. With only 1 senior, there may be some growing pains but this unit should be a strength of the team.

2. Losses/Additions on Defense:
    We have four new starters on the interior line but we still should be ok. Led by DT Jamal Brooks, these guys have a bunch of talent and there should only be a slight dropoff from last season. We added two stud DE's through recruiting last year so this should continue to be the strength of the Penn St defense. We lost our QB of the defense in MLB Khari Fortt but with Quinten Reid and AJ Livingston returning, the LB core may be the best in the country. Both seniors are candidates for the Butkas award and deserving so. Both are great in the run game and we can leave them on the field during pass situations. These two are crucial for this defense's success. Freshman Calvin Watson won the LOLB in spring and looks to be the next dominant LB here at linbacker U. The secondary was the downfall of last season's team and returns everyone. The corners should be a bit better with another year of experience but we still don't have any seniors starting so it still could be a struggle at times. Easily the best player in the secondary is Sophomore FS Jonathan Ward. He was able to start every game as a true freshman so that experience should help him become a better player. He has the look of a All-American and he could take that step this season. Sophomore SS Broderick Coles has also improved greatly and should be a impact player.

3. Expectations for the 2015 season:
    We still think we can win the Big-10 Title even with the loss of 23 great seniors. This recruiting class we just landed just re-energized the whole program and we still have a bunch of great football players here. If Redd can limit turnovers and get the ball to his playmakers, this offense should be able to score points and the defense should still be good. Our secondary has to play better though, we can't continue to get torched through the passing game. Hopefully another year of experience helped out these young kids.

We don't intend to change much. You may see a bit more of rollouts and designed runs out of Redd due to his spectacular speed but we like our system and we plan to use it. We'll run the ball between the tackles and take chances deep, that's what we do. Nothing will change on the defensive side of the ball. We just hope that with another year of maturity out of the young secondary, they will hold up better against the elite teams in the country.

We have a couple that we are extremely excited about. First off is true freshman wideout Lance Stewart. This kid has the look of a first round pick and has all the tools to dominate. Luckily, he doesn't have to come in and be the man right away. This is still Jason Thompson's team but look for Stewart to catch 40-50 balls for around 600 yards. Redshirt freshman LB Calvin Watson is a freak athlete. We thought he would be a SS when he was recruited but his skills were best utilized for a LB. Now after taking a redshirt last season to gain some weight, he has already cracked the starting lineup. Again, he doesn't have to be the man with Reid and Livingston still here but he looks to have an immediate impact.

17. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Alright....finally.....the one you guys have all been waiting for.

The 2015 Defending National Champion Florida Gators Season Preview

Coming off a huge 2014 campaign where the Gators took home their second national title and won their third consecutive SEC championship under Coach KSherms guidance the Gators will look to continue that success in 2015. After no freshman received significant playing time last season, there's a lot of new names atop the UF depth chart this year. Will this be a rebuidling season or will the Gators just keep the ball rolling?

Also of note, the Gators come into this season riding a 21 game winning streak. How long can we keep this up?

Offensive Changes:

Key losses: QB Tom Richardson, HB Lionel Fields, WR Adrian Coxson and WR Chris Dunkley.
    Key additions: RS JUCO SO WR Derrick Herring, WR RS FR James Washington, FR WR Sidney Williams

Replacing one of the best backfields in the country last season with the Richardson and Fields headed to the NFL won't be easy. Luckily the Gators have some great talent waiting in the wings. JR QB Nick Dickens played sparingly behind Richardson and will be given his shot at the job early. Dickens is a big time threat to run with the ball with 94 speed and 86 btk. He's also extremely intelligent, 99 awareness. His arm is less than desirable though 83 tp 86 ta. Pushing him for PT will be star recruit and RS freshman James Pearson. He brings a better arm to the table and is electric with the ball in his hands. He needs time to gain a better understanding of the playbok though. It's likely these two will fall into some sort of rotation at QB.

At HB replacing Fields is impossible. SR Joe Pennington has had a hell of an offseason becoming one of the best power backs in the nation (97 ovr) but lacks the true speed needed in the spread offense. His 99 acc and 99 btk make him a threat though. He'll likely rotate with stud RS freshman Cole Williams. Cole's a Warrick Dunn type back at 5'7" 187 lbs and is one of the best athletes in the nation with 97 spd, 95 agi, 99 acc. Cole will get his shot but his durability is a big question.

At WR, juniors Rory Williams and Jonathon Carter form the strongest duo in the nation as both are 99 overall WRs. JUCO SO Derrick Herring will step into Dunkley's slot roll and he should be a huge threat at 6'6" 213 lbs with 96 spd he should present matchup problems all season long. Freshman James Washington and true freshman Sidney Williams will provide depth at the WR position.

TE is stacked with SO Nate Robinson returning. The 6'7" 263 lbs TE is an absolute bull with his 94 btk rating. Behind him is transfer Raymond Brown who is more of an H-back than traditional TE and we'll find a way to get him involved.

The offensive line is 15 deep with plenty of talent. Look for some shuffling early in the season as the Gator coaching staff tries to find the right combination up front.

Changes on Defense:

Key Losses: DE Dominique Easley, all 4 CBs, FS Kyle Harris
    Key Additions: FR DE Howard Hester, JUCO JR DT Bryan Brittain, JUCO SO CB Ryan Martin, FR CB Pat Louis

The defense sees a huge transition in the secondary as all 4 of one of the most talented CB units in the country has graduated this past season. Replacing them are a bunch of young guns though. They're extremely talented, just not battle tested. Passing defense could be a huge problem for the Gators if these young guys don't play up to their new level. The coaching staff is extremely excited about the secondary though as there's some interesting skills back there and it will be fun coming up with schemes to fit these guys' talents.

Hopefully the DL will be able to provide some help to the passing game by getting after opposing QBs. SR DE Keon Lamb is the leader of this unit and he'll need to make sure the young guys are prepared and ready to go each week. Sophomore Brandon Brunner and FR Howard Hester will be expected to make big contributions as well.

The LB unit remains from last season. However they'll get help from having MLB Steve Turner back from injury that cost him majority of last season. The SR LB will need to have a big year in the middle of a young defense. Behind him is a stack of new talent that just arrived on campus this summer so hopefully Turner can share some knowledge with the new guys and get them ready to contribute as well.

Expectations for the 2015 season

As always, the Gators will look to make it back to Atlanta for the SEC championship game. It will be a tough road as rival UGA has finally added a coach that is creating some buzz. The Gators also add SEC West foe Alabama to their schedule this season to go along with their game against LSU. With all the new faces on this years squad this may be the toughest season yet for the Gators under coach KSherm.

Major changes? I.E. Playbooks, gameplans, etc....

Changes in the gameplans are to be determined. And when they're determined you'll see them on the field. On offense, the HC is concerned with turning over the keys to the up-tempo spread option offense of last year to an inexperienced QB if Pearson proves to be more effective than Dickens. There will still be plenty of spread and shred though so don't you worry.

Freshman (and RS Freshman) impact

See above. Most notables are the CBs and QB Pearson and HB Williams. We'll need big big things out of these guys to be successful this season.

18. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

2015 Clemson Tigers Preview

Clemson finished 2014 with some tough losses inside the ACC that saw them fall short of their goal to make the championship game. In 2015, there will be a lot of new faces that will have to lead Clemson toward their goals.

OFFENSE
    Losses: On offense the Tigers will be losing WR Martavias Bryant. He left the school as the all time leading receiver in yards and single season yardage. He was an explosive player that the passing game will surely miss in 2015. Also missing will be starting RB Demont Buice. Although he wasn't spectacular, he was solid and no player is rated as high as he was this season.

2015: Replacing Bryant in the passing game will not be easy, but the good thing for the Tigers is their top 3 receivers will return this year. Senior Mark Smith will lead the way along with speedster Adam Allen on the outside. The biggest question in the passing game will be at QB. Returning starter Chris Sanders will get the early nod, but *spoiler* he was injured in the Georgia game and will miss the next 3 weeks. Coach blLL will have a tough choice about who to start at QB. Rumors are the coach may pull the red shirt off last year's #1 QB recruit Aaron Sanders. In the running game sophomore Marcus Smith will have to step up and carry the load. However he will be helped out by freshman speedster Jorge Irvin. The thunder and lightning combo will be counted on to move the ball with the early question marks at QB.

DEFENSE
    Losses: On defense Clemson lost some of their most experience players. OLB Josh Parker will be sorely missed stopping both the running game and pass with his speed. The defense also loses 2 starting CBs and a DE. The defense will need to step up early as the offense tries to come around.

2015: Senior MLB Brady Wade is back in the middle and leads the defense. Isaac Dennis will start at one corner and RS Freshman Dan Prince will start at the other. Senior SS Jermaine Carey will lead the way at the back and also provide support in the run game. This defense will go as far as this secondary can take them as it will take some time for Prince to grow into the position.

This year the Tigers expect to get to the ACC title game and that means beating FSU. The Tigers will host the Seminoles in Clemson this year look to get some payback for last year's loss. The Tigers also have a big out of conference game vs Penn State at the end of the year, so it will be nice to see how the team has progressed at the end of the season against a tough opponent.