2015 Team Previews

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by MaxATX34, Oct 10, 2012.

1. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2015 Preview

Coming off a defeat in the National Championship that spoiled their perfect season, the Aggies are anxious to get back on top. Their team motto this year is "Do it again" and with a bevy of talent returning and a #3 ranking to start the year, it is definitely possible for TAMU to find themselves in the SEC Championship once again.

Offense

QB

There might be a bit of a Quarterback controversy in College Station after last year's finish. (RS)Senior Johnny Manziel (94OVR) went down in the last game of the regular season leaving true Freshman QB Sean Henry (86OVR) as the starter for the SEC CCG. Henry played an almost perfect game and lead the Ags to victory. Flash-forward to the National Championship... Manziel comes back from injury only to throw 5 picks. 2 of which were returned for TDs and that ended up being the difference in a close game. Henry came off the bench for one play, and it was a 20yd TD strike. A large contingent of the fan-base is already calling for Henry to start. Coaches like that they have a solid back-up they can rely on, but Manziel will start (he might be on a short leash though).

RB

No controversy here. Heisman-winner Brandon Williams (99OVR) returns for his (RS)Senior yr to get his degree and take another run at getting some hardware. Williams basically lead the offseason work-outs, and only fellow-RB Trey Williams (94OVR) could really keep up. (RS)Senior Tra Carson has improved dramatically as well (90OVR) giving the Aggies a legitimate 3-headed monster in the run game.

FB

Larry Cruz came in a snatched the job away from Joe Parrish, who opted to leave the program for greener pastures. (Really, dude? You're a FB. You shouldnt be in it for the glory) Oh well, the job is Cruz's for the foreseeable future.

WR

Bilitnikoff finalist Mike Evans (90OVR) returns to lead a diverse and dangerous WR corps. Behind him is Thomas Johnson (86OVR) and a pair of talented Juniors (both 81OVR) will take turns operating out of the slot. The deep threat of Evans should allow TAMU to work underneath routes effectively. Look for Thomas Johnson to have his best year ever.

TE

There is a bit of battle going on at the TE spot this year. Junior Michael Robbins (83OVR) is desperately trying to fend off Sophomore Maurice Williams (81OVR). Williams appears to be the better pass-catcher and a slightly better run-blocker than Robbins, but Robbins is no slouch. Robbins is a good receiver in his own right, and is much more dangerous after the catch. Behind them is Curt "The Freak" Mitchell (80OVR). Mitchell is 6'7 271lb, and could take a redshirt at some point in order to get at least one year of the position to himself.

OL

(OVR from LT to RT)
    87-85-90-88-86

A solid group here on the OL. The best part about this cast is that 4/5 are Juniors. They all are very strong and look ready to go. Imagine what this group will look like next season, though. 4/5 will be (RS)Seniors around or above 90OVR.

Defense

DE

Polo Manukainiu (85OVR) looks the best of the bunch. He will start at RE. True Junior Eric Howard (81OVR) will start at LE. Howard, who was disparaged by South Carolina's coach when he signed with A&M, plays with a chip on his shoulder and has been quoted as saying he "can't wait" to play the Gamecocks. 6'7 268lb Gabriel Green (81OVR) will spell the ends, with (RS)Freshman Erick Gillett (79OVR) next in line. Gillett chose TAMU over Arkansas, so he may have to see the field against the Razorbacks.

DT

Coach Max's pet-position as of late... The DTs are shaping up nicely. All-American Roderick Thomas (90OVR) has really turned into a dominant force on the inside. His combination of size, speed, and strength present problems for anyone trying to run up the gut. (RS)Senior Shayvion Hatten (86OVR) looks the part as well and has played great when he has been on the field. Two underclassmen will come off the bench and they are good too. Coach Max has been subbing the entire D-Line in and out platoon-style to keep them fresh and it has worked. That strategy doesnt have to change with the depth of talent amassed at the position.

OLB

All-American Donnie Watkins (85OVR) has his spot at ROLB locked down. The interesting battle is going on at LOLB. This position has been somewhat lost in the shuffle with Watkins and Harper taking the spotlight at LB, but two players are out to change that. (RS)Junior Michael Richardson (82OVR) and (RS)Freshman Jamie Young (80OVR) are in a heated-fight for the starting spot. Richardson has more experience (68AWR) but Young is more athletic and has a higher upside at 6'4 225lb. Coaches will try both out and see what sticks. Young's size and athleticism may be too great to keep him on the bench.

MLB

Brad Harper (88OVR). Enough said? No? Okay then... Harper is the life-blood of this team's defense. They go as a unit as he goes as an individual. He just has a knack for being around the ball and making plays. He shucks blockers like they arent even there, and has the quickness to shoot a gap, turn on a dime, and tackle a RB from behind in another gap. Straight beast. He lurks the middle of the field and is a big part of what A&M does defensively. Behind him is a capable Senior back up, Jordan Richmond (81OVR). The Ags are redshirting a :5stars: MLB this season as well, so watch for him in the years to come.

CB

Look at all these youngsters. Brings a tear to Coach Max's eye knowing these are all his hand-picked croots... The group is lead by physical Junior Joe Huffman (86OVR). Joe goes 6'3 200lb and is built to lock-down those over-sized WRs A&M will encounter. True Sophomores Joe Coe and Thomas Tom Thomas (both 81OVR) will alternate between the #2 and #3 spots, while true Freshman converted-ATHs Tim Bryant and Quentin Flynn will alternate as the Dime-back. Coe has more experience, but Thomas may be more suited to playing outside so T.T. Thomas might get the #2 spot outright. Coe has the agility to better keep up with shifty slot receivers.

FS

John Webb and David Craig are still battling it out for the starting spot, and that is exactly what coaches envisioned when recruiting such talented players in back-to-back classes. Both started as true Freshman and have really pushed each other to get better (both 84OVR). Craig is bigger and faster, but Webb is better in coverage and forces more fumbles. Webb has the job for now.

SS

What a cluster*&%$ this position ended up after the season. A&M graduated two Senior Strong Safeties, leaving the position to a talented Freshman who was redshirting. He had the starting position sewn-up before even taking a snap, but he got "homesick" and wanted to go back to Illinois. Now I know College Station is one of the worst places in the country to live, but come on man! You'd rather sit out another year only to become lost in obscurity instead of starting for a National Championship contender and be a year or two away from getting drafted??? Whatever.
    Junior FS Jacob Marshall (79OVR) slid over from FS and will be backed up by Freshman Justin Estes (77OVR). At 6'0 223, Marshall looks more like a SS than a FS anyway. Coaches want to find a good true SS this class to redshirt and hopefully he wont bounce like the last guy when we try to hand him the keys to the Porsche.

P/K

Ray Guy finalist Drew Kaser (94OVR) will handle all kicking duties. Taylor Bertolet will back him up, and may be called off the bench to kick clutch (iced) FGs.

PR/KR

RB Trey Williams will take another run at Returner of the Year this season. He has almost 1500 total return yards and looks to take a couple to the house this season.

Outlook

Coach Max isnt sure he can run the table again, but he thinks he has a good shot at getting back to the SEC Championship Game. The Aggies are probably looking at a 10-2 type regular season. Once again, the biggest games of the year will be against Miss. St. and Arkansas as those 3 teams duke it out for the SEC West.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I can empathize with the QB controversy situation, it's tough to know who to use in that situation. Mine is tough as well, I will detail that in my preview...

Can't believe Williams came back but it was a good decision.... the RB position is a tough one to come out on top of, for instance 95 OVR Kevin Parks wasn't drafted... So good decision to come back for 99 OVR / another year.

"Look for Johnson to have his best year ever" - This sounds suspicious... :D

Damn... Good offensive line. I hate you guys.

Good paragraph on the SS situation, I think you're reading too much into EA's programming, did you miss on a promise to play a game in his state or something? Much more likely than a dumb personal decision :) Great writeup, and bad luck to the Aggies this season.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

On the SS...No I wouldnt have done that as he is from Illinois. I probably would have only promised him good national exposure. Either way, the guy had the position gift-wrapped for him and left. :(

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm guessing you did do it, accidentally. Did you check your promises at the end of the season? The week after bowl week is the time to check and see which you hit and missed on. We didn't miss on a single promise last year, which sounds easy but was a first for me.

5. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I mean, it is definitely possible I promised him that but I usually reserve those promises for kids from Texas/Louisiana.

No I didnt check, but I am usually 100% on my promises or very very close to it.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Oh o.k... Yeah I think it's the game's way of making you pay for missing that particular promise. When they give that reason, I believe that is what why. Anyway I will recuse myself so the rest of the team previews can start rolling in :cool:

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

[​IMG]

Offense - This unit is much improved over last year's team and should put up some points. The team will continue to run the spread offense but play calling will be similar to last season. The Bulldogs will look to wear teams down with the run game and hit big pass plays when the defense starts to tire. The offensive line is very strong at run blocking so don't be surprised to see MSU be one of the top rushing squads this season.

----

QB - Coaches were impressed by the improvements J.J. Pruitt made in the offseason and he will get the first crack at the starting QB job. Last year's starting QB Dak Prescott returned for his senior season, but he lacks the athleticism provided by Pruitt. Last season Pruitt scored 9 rushing touchdowns despite only handling about 15% of the snaps. This offseason coaches worked on his passing abilities and he made great strides in those areas.

Starter - J.J. Pruitt 80 OVR 89 SPD 86 THP 81 THA

HB - Nick Griffin moved onto the NFL but backup Derrick Milton is ready to carry the load. Milton was solid last season and averaged more yards per carry than Griffin. The supporting cast behind Milton is also solid with RS-SR Josh Robinson (91 OVR) and SO Keith Dunlap (84 OVR) ready to carry the ball.

Starter - Derrick Milton 92 OVR 91 SPD 93 BTK

FB - Sophomore Alex Casey will again start at FB. This position does not get used often in the MSU spread offense, but Casey made some plays last season. Freshman David Butler is redshirting unless Casey gets injured this season.

Starter - Alex Casey 78 OVR 78 SPD 78 TRK

WR - The starting receivers from last year's team are back this season, led by 3-year starter Joe Morrow. At 6'4 Morrow is the biggest receiver in the starting lineup. He also has good speed and is a solid pass catcher. JR Todd Martin is more of a possession receiver and he may be asked to play in the slot. Same with Jameon Lewis, who lacks the height to be a top receiver. Robert Johnson will likely get the starting spot opposite of Morrow. Kyle Randall, Matt Harris and Reggie Anderson are solid reserves behind the starters.

Starters - Joe Morrow 89 OVR 93 SPD 91 SPC; Robert Johnson 82 OVR 93 SPD 80 CTH

TE - This is a bit of a concern for MSU as no tight end on the roster has caught a pass. Both starters from last year's team graduated during the past spring. Rufus Warren will get the first crack at the starting job. He is a senior that primarily worked with the practice squad till this season. Fellow senior Josh Flanagan will also be in line for some action.

Starter - Rufus Warren 82 OVR 83 SPD 76 CTH

O-Line - This is an experienced group with 3 seniors in the starting lineup. This may not be the best offensive line in the country but this is an improvement over last year's squad. RG Justin Malone and RT Archie Muniz are the best players on the line.

Starters - LT Jon Hall 85 OVR 84 PBK 91 RBK; LG Ben Beckwith 86 OVR 81 PBK 94 RBK; C Justin Senior 81 OVR 80 PBK 86 RBK; Justin Malone 88 OVR 82 PBK 95 RBK; Archie Muniz 87 OVR 84 PBK 93 RBK

Defense - This unit will try to match last year's team but may struggle at times. The Bulldogs lost several key starters and have some glaring weaknesses on this side of the football. Defensive end and safety are the biggest concerns for this group. Cornerback, linebacker and defensive tackle are probably the strengths.

---

DE - This might be the biggest weakness on the team. The Bulldogs do not have any elite pass rushers in this group and the returning players lack game experience. RS-SO Ray Davis may be the best player at this position but he is far from an ideal starting end.

Starters - LE John Harris 77 OVR 86 ACC 83 BSH; Ray Davis RE Ray Davis 77 OVR 77 SPD 83 BSH

DT - Marcus Lynch is the best player on the defensive line and he will need to have a big season. He saw a lot of action last season so he should be ready. Big Nick James (6'5 344) will start at the other tackle spot. James will provide some size and muscle on the inside for MSU. Chris Scott will also see some playing time this season and he may spell James on obvious passing downs.

Starters - Marcus Lynch 85 OVR 87 STR 88 PMV; Nick James 80 OVR 97 STR 83 BSH

LB - This team is replacing 2 starters, including 3-year starter Ferlando Bohanna. RS-SR Benardick McKinney saw some action last season and he will start at MLB this season. The other new starter at OLB will be true freshman Grant Martinez. He has great athleticism but has questionable football IQ. ROLB Deion Jones is the only returning starter for this unit, so he will need to provide some leadership. Depth is not a concern this season as several players can step in at any time.

Starters - LOLB Grant Martinez 79 OVR 85 SPD 99 ACC; MLB Benardrick McKinney 85 OVR 83 SPD 95 PRC

CB - Starter Jamerson Love graduated but the rest of the rotation returns this year. LSU transfer Dwayne Thomas will be the #1 CB. He is one of the best cornerbacks this school has seen. He had 8 interceptions last season. Kennard Horne moves back to the #2 spot after being bumped down last season. He is a solid #2 CB now that he has been with the program for a couple seasons. Marcus McDowell, Todd Smith and freshman Buck Davis round out the top 5. This is another deep position for MSU.

Starters - Dwayne Thomas 91 OVR 92 SPD 96 MCV; Kennard Horne 85 OVR 94 SPD 94 ZCV

S - Safety is another concern for the Bulldogs on the defensive side. Both starters from last year's squad are no longer on the team. SR Taveze Calhoun will get the starting nod at FS but he is not an ideal starter. Despite being a RS-SR he lacks the awareness needed to start at safety. This is also a problem at SS where :5stars: recruit Quincy Reid gets the starting spot. The Bulldogs expect Reid to be an elite player but coaches would prefer he started his career in a backup role.

Starters - FS Taveze Calhoun 78 OVR 92 SPD 84 MCV; SS Quincy Reid 79 OVR 85 SPD 86 ZCV

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Team Overview

This could be a rebuilding year at UVA, although I'd love to win enough games to keep our :5stars: rating or even better, catch up to the 6-star elite. Who knows what will happen. What we do know is we lost a lot of talent, including two positions that were cleaned out of talent entirely at WR and CB. Those two positions lost a combined 8 seniors that were all capable players, replaced by players that frankly suck for the most part. It could get ugly. Our roster is below with commentary at each position.

Roster

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

[​IMG]

Tempted to rename this guy Bobby Boucher.

85 speed, 99 acceleration, 80 pursuit, 87 hit power... but 72 agility and 52 awareness are huge question marks

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks for the like MaxATX34 - who would you start at QB if you were me?

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Those issues wouldn't be issues for me. 4 year starter.

12. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Don't get me wrong, he is starting for me and he will be a 4-year starter if he does not declare for draft after his junior year.

13. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Quarterback
    Tanner McEvoy - 2014 O'Brien Award Winner, 1st Team All-American
    297/401, 4964 yds, 58 TD, 20 INT, 74.1 Comp %​
    Tanner McEvoy shattered school records en route to a breakout season, however he played poorly in the biggest game of the season with 5 INT in the SEC Championship. He was stellar for most of the season, but he threw half of his picks in 2 games. If he plays consistent football all season long this offense will put up huge numbers.​
    John Daniels waits in the wings as the heir apparent to the starting QB job. An unexpected transfer from freshman Taylor Daniels (no relation) left the backup QB job wide open. Daniels will get reps in mop up duty.​
    Halfback
    Brandon Wilds​
    210 carries, 1080 yds, 14 TD​
    Cedric Butler - 2014 Best Returner, 1st Team All American
    114 Carries, 638 yds, 5 TD; 35 catches, 532 yds, 4 TD; 1578 return yds, 3 TD​
    The Gamecocks are in great shape at HB with returning Wilds and Butler who each played significant time. Wilds comes into his senior year stronger and ready to carry the ball more. Butler is the lightning in a bottle player capable of taking it to the house at any moment with his great speed and elusiveness. Butler accounted for 12 total TD producing on the ground, in the passing attack and special teams.​
    Wide Receiver
    Shaq Roland​
    54 Catches, 926 yds, 13 TD​
    This group is largely unproven outside of Roland who started last year. Stanley Williams played sparingly as the 5th WR last season only having one catch to his name. Trent Weeks and Nate Hopkins redshirted last season. To their advantage they have one of the best QBs in the country throwing them the ball so it's on them to just make sure they catch it.​
    Tight End
    Rory Anderson redshirted last year to get another year of eligibility. With the emergence of Cory Grigsby, Anderson didn't have a role but was still very talented. Anderson has WR skills at the tight end position with his 88 SPD and ACC. He has very reliable hands and is a capable blocker. Meanwhile, freshman Shannon Porter will see time on the field as South Carolina will look to work more 2 TE sets into the game plan this year. Porter is another guy who is a receiving threat with great athleticism.​
    Offensive Line
    LT Brandon Shell - 2014 2nd Team All American
    Brandon Shell is a massive LT at 6'6" 337 LBs and leads this group of O-linemen. The strength is the left side with the aformentioned Shell and fellow senior Kyle Harris. The right side is inexperienced but there are high expectations for the two Brandon's to block well.​
    [​IMG]
    Defensive Line
    LE Anthony Clark - 2014 Freshman All-American
    6.5 Sacks, 1 TD, 1 FF, 2 FR
    DT Chad Gross - 2014 Freshman All-American
    4.5 Sacks​
    This is a very young D-line with two sophomores and a freshman starting. They guys were highly recruited with Clark and Gross seeing significant playing time last season. Clark started opposite Jadeveon Clowney and was solid. Gross played primarily as a pass rushing DT. J.J. Crum comes in as a highly touted DE who impressed during the spring and has big shoes to fill taking over for Clowney.​
    Linebacker
    MLB Mason Harris - 2014 Bednarik Award, Nagurski Award, Butkus Award, All-American
    114 tackles (75 solo), 30 TFL, 9.5 Sacks, 5 FF​
    LOLB Billy Mcrae​
    72 tackles (43 solo), 16 TFL, 5.5 Sacks, INT, FF, FR​
    ROLB Albert Tolbert​
    53 tackles (32 solo), 15 TFL, 7.5 Sacks, INT, 3 FF, FR​
    This is probably the deepest position on the defense with 5 guys who played last season and it has been a well recruited position. Mason Harris was a tackling machine last year seemingly around the ball carrier as all times. He was also a factor as a pass rusher tallying 9.5 sacks picking up 3 defensive awards last year. Billy Mcrae was very good in his first season of work and Tolbert added 7.5 sacks in his second season as starter bringing his career total to 20.5. Billy Miller and Chad Bates also played well in some of the defensive sub packages.​
    Defensive Back
    CB Darren Drew​
    73 tackles (47 solo), 6 INT, 10 pass deflections, TD, FF​
    CB John Newby​
    45 tackles (28 solo), 5 INT, TD​
    FS Terrence Patterson - 2014 1st Team All-American
    105 tackles (60 solo), 3.5 sacks, 3 INT, TD​
    SS Dane King - 2014 2nd Team All-American
    73 tackles (46 solo), 5 sacks, 3 INT, 2 FF​
    The DBs were a very active group last season with 17 interceptions. Darren Drew was a playmaker in his first season as starter. Newby played will as nickel corner and moves into the starting lineup. Terrence Patterson played like a veteran in the defensive backfield while Dane King produced in many ways as the other safety. Kadetrix Marcus takes over as the Spur in the 3-3-5 and he may be the perfect fit for that position. He is very good in coverage as well as a strong tackler.​

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  14. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I'd definitely give Watford a good look. Huge potential there if he is a good enough passer. The other guy is a better passer, but not better enough of a passer to make up for Watford's running threat IMO.

15. mboda

mboda Walk On

[​IMG]
    2015 Maryland Terrapins
    Last year Maryland flew under the radar for most of they year due to an early loss, they still found themselves in the ACC Championship game where the Terrapins upset undefeated #1 Virginia and they shot up the polls and snuck into the Title game where they upset another undefeated #1 team when they beat Texas A&M 37-34 to win their 2nd National Title in 3 years. This year they lose alot of key players but got a couple key recruits and should compete for another ACC Championship this year.

QB - Sophomore Dane Fields is coming off a pretty good freshman year and looks to improve on his really good numbers last year. Fields needs to cut down on his interceptions this year, he threw 13 last year in only 7 or 8 games. The Maryland backup QB is an important position as the starter has missed significant time in each of the last three years. Lefty Sophomore Trey Bryant, who led Maryland to an upset victory over undefeated Virginia in the ACC Championship game last year will serve as the backup. Senior Perry Hills was the backup last year but was benched due to his poor play and this year will start out third on the depth chart.

HB - Justus Pickett is gone and his production will be hard to match as he piled up over 5000 of yards over the past three years and was a huge part of the offense. Filling his shoes will be Junior Wes Brown who was redshirted last year. Brown did have double digit touchdowns as a freshman but was injured for most of his sophomore season. The Terrapins will need a big year from him this season. Senior Brandon Ross will be the backup this year, he is a serviceable back and has responded when his number has been called.

FB - Senior Tyler Cierski is the fullback again. Cierski is a good all-around FB and paved the way for alot of Pickett's big years.

WR - Stefon Diggs thankfully came back for his senior season and Maryland is expecting huge things from him this year. He hauled in over 1400 yards to go with 14 TDs last year with only 4 drops. Look for him to top those numbers this year and will one of the favorites for the Biletnikoff award this year. Marcus Leak was the #2 last year and he did a fantastic job. Leak has now graduated and filling his spot will be either Junior Levern Jacobs or Senior Nigel King. Jacobs has better hands and is smaller and quicker so he might be a better fit for the slot. King is 6'3" with good speed and decent hands, even if he wins the job opposite of Diggs he will have a hard time matching the production(800 yards 8 TDs) that Leak had. The #4 and 5 wideouts are 96 speed 6'4" Andrew Quinn and 98 speed 6'6" Dan Smith.

TE - 5 star recruit Ryan Jordan was suppose to be the tight end here for a couple years but Jordan was dropped almost 50% of the balls thrown to him and was benched for Senior Garrett Rodgers. With Rodgers graduating Jordan was suppose to be the starter this year but in the offseason Jordan decided to transfer to Pittsburgh which left a big hole at TE. JUCO Sophomore Roderick Coker looks to fill that hole. Coker has fantastic hands (87 Cth) and good speed (83 spd). Look for Coker to be a big part of the offense this year.

O-Line - This year the line consists of 4 seniors and 1 true freshman. Nothing too flashy here, just consistent and solid. Overall they are 86-79-94-82-87 from left to right.

DE - Three year starter Andre Monroe is gone and Senior Keith Bowers is looking to fill his shoes at left end. Bowers is not as fast or as strong as Monroe was but is more skilled. Starting right end will be Senior John Perry. Nothing special about Perry but he is solid and should have a decent year.

DT - True Freshman Marvin Kennedy will start right out the gate as there isn't alot of talent at the position. Kennedy isn't great at any one thing but is solid overall. Backing him up is Junior Steve Jones who isn't flashy but can play if we need him.

OLB - Junior ROLB Abner Logan could be a star this year. He had a good year last year and got alot better in the offseason. The new starting LOLB is Senior Cole Farrand, who played quite a bit last year at MLB. Farrand has the speed needed to be a playmaker in my defensive scheme and could have a nice year. Junior Jalen Brooks will serve as the backup to both of them. Brooks has great speed and was a very good special teams player last year.

MLB - LA Goree was the heart of this defense last year and had over 100 tackles and was always around the ball. Goree is now graduated. Taking his place will be Senior Alex Twine who makes the switch from OLB. Twine is faster than Goree and might put up better numbers than him. The other starting MLB is sophomore Chad Hines, a transfer from Virginia. Hines has good speed and great acceleration and should make some plays this year.

CB - Senior Makinton Dorleant, who set the Maryland record with 11 interceptions last year will need to make some more plays this year as he is the #1 this year. Starting opposite Dorleant is true freshman Marco Gorman who comes in with alot of hype. He has all the tools to backup that hype. Gorman is 6'1" with great speed and has good skills in man and zone coverage. The third CB is another freshman, John McConnell. He is alot like Gorman as he has good size and good speed.

FS - Undray Clark is back for his senior season. Despite his size (5'10") Clark plays big and is always making plays all over the field. Look for him to have a huge senior year.

SS - This is one of the only starting jobs that has not been named yet. Junior Anthony Dixon and Sophomore Derek Hodge will battle it out. Hodge has the inside track to start as he has alot better awareness and has better speed. Dixon might be a little to slow to start right now, but he is better in coverage and is a better tackler.

K/P - Senior Nathan Renfro is the kicker again. Renfro doesn't have a big leg but he makes most of the kicks that we need as he only missed one FG last year. Renfro might be called on to do the punting this year also. True freshman Nicholas Williams was brought in this year but might not be ready.

Season Outlook - Maryland was pretty balanced last year on their way to a National Championship, with a great defense that had alot of playmakers and a good offense that was tough to stop. Coming into this year they lose a lot of talent on defense. They also lose arguably their best offensive player in Pickett. This year Maryland might have to do more on offense as their defense might not be as good as it was last year. If Wes Brown can match what Pickett was able to do then Maryland could surprise again this year. Maryland has a tough schedule this year which includes a Title game rematch with Texas A&M in week 3. If this team comes together like I think they will we should be a 10-2 or 9-3 team and will be in the mix for another ACC Championship.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

I'll get up a better preview over the weekend. but to summerize

NC State - yeah we suck!

Atleast on offense, where I have like 3-4 freshman starting including a pair of rs FR Qbs competing for the starting gig. One has a solid arm, but runs a 5.50 40. I think he has a negative speed rating. The other is as fast as any of our WRs...and throws like them. Good times!

Defense, we should actually be pretty decent. I'm just not sure how many shutouts we can pitch during the season.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I see what you're saying, but me trying to use the running ability of a QB is just an oil water situation. Both will play, but for now, the big freshman will probably be the starter.

18. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Offense-​
    Quarterback- Sophomore Quentin Cook gets the nod over FR Leigh Austin to start the season. But the FR will be seeing some playing time this season. Cook has great speed and throwing accuracy and is nimble enough to effectively run this offense. Austin is the QB of the future though us. He is the perfect combination of QB and HB that we have been searching for. JR Justin Thomas got a look in the offseason but things just don't flow well with him undercenter. He will never see the field.​
    A-Back- FAST! That is the first word that comes to mind. We have three burners that will see the field. All with 96 speed and the ability to break the big one when they get the ball in their hands. SR Broderick Snoddy has played since we arrived at GT in some capacity. He is a great back for this offense. A threat off the pitch and in the passing game. True FR Mikal Roberts has major potential in this offense. The kid is fast and shifty as hell and will only get better. SR Dennis Andres will rotate in and be a big special teams player. Roberts is almost on par with Andrews as a freshman and has a higher ceiling so he got the nod.​
    B-Back- BJ Bostic gets his turn. He isn't quite what we've had at this position in the past but he is damn effective at his small size. He has a great first step to hit the line quick and agile enough to adjust at the line and find holes. He is also a nice weapon in the passing game.​
    O-Line- With out a doubt the best group we have fielded since arriving and it shows. We have had bigger holes opening up and that is just fine with us. As talented of a group as this is and losing 3 seniors next year, we may be even better next year. We put a major focus on the o-line from day one and have built up solid depth and talent on the line. I think we are at the point of never having to worry about a big drop off from year to year.​

WRs & TE- These guys know their role. Block and get in the way of defenders and catch the ball when they get opportunities. These opportunities will be limited. They aren't stellar but Caesar gives us a great possession target and Woods can stretch the field if we need to. Wright will see a reduced role this season as we don't plan on using too many looks with a TE.

Defense- We made a scheme shift last season and it went better than expected. We are better this year.

DL- Not where we want to be just yet but these guys are solid. Freshman Darius Alavrez is the prototypical end we want. A guy with good strength that can get off blocks and wrap up and tackle. We have a few more young guys that just aren't quite ready to play but this kid is. Djwany Mera is slightly undersized at DT but has a good skill set to do his job. SR Fancis Kallon returns after having a great year last season. We look for him to continue that trend.

LB- We have major drop off here from last season. We had our best linebacker get drafted in the 2nd round last year and have moved SR Jabari Hunt Days over to man that spot. He is athletic and a great cover guy. SR Chris Carr was a Juco guy that is getting his chance. We have younger guys that we will put in if he doesn't perform. True FR Roy Robinson will man the middle for us this year. He is fast and agile. We think this kid has good upside. He can get off blocks and disrupt things for us.

CB- A solid pair of shut down CBs. Milton and White have a lot asked of them but they have shown they are up to the task.

FS- True Sophomore Juan Thornburg comes off a great Freshman season. He played above our expectations and will allow us to get more aggressive and creative in our play calling this season. He proved to be a good last line of defense.

SS- Heart and soul of the defense. These guys were amazing last year for us. We were worried about moving Nobles over from CB to SS last season but he played great. He allows us to stay in our base package at all times due to his great coverage skills. He can also lay the hammer to people and plays great run support. Dennis is a good all around guy as well. As these two guys go so does the rest of the D. If they can't play at a high level then everything falls apart.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Good ol IL boy!! Teased ya and took his ball and went home!:p

• Like Like x 1
  20. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

2015 NC STATE WOLFPACK

QUARTERBACK
    Our QB situation is basically a tale of 2 cities. We have 2 FR(rs) QBs who went into spring practice vying for the starting job, and they couldn't be more different. On one hand, you have Donald Jackson (82ovr - 59spd - 92thp - 88tha), a big tall pocket passer with a cannon of an arm for a freshman. In the other corner, you have Clarence Strickland (83ovr - 89spd - 88acc - 84thp - 86tha), a slender/skinny kid who might be one of our fastest players on offense (sad I know) but no where near the arm of Jackson. In the end, Jackson won the starting job. Decided we couldn't let that arm go to waste, especially given his age and that it should improve significantly as he becomes and upper classsman. Strickland is going to be used alot like our "Tebow" and get some designed runs and some passes to keep teams honest, but Jackson will be under center most of the time. Hopefully the line can protect him because the dude is playing with cement shoes.

RUNNING BACKS
    So(rs) Cole Grant is the best player we have on offense and will be relied on heavily to help the Wolfpack move the ball and put points on the board. He is only an 82ovr, but has all the physical tools to be an All-American. 98spd/91acc with decent power back attributes in a 6'1/210 frame. He is going to have to carry the ball 20+ times a game for us to win and truthfully, we don't have alot of depth we can rely upon behind him. Blocking for him will be true FR FB Bryan Scott. At 6'1/246, the kid is basically a center with some speed. 79ovr/72pbk/78rbk for the #2 rated FB in last year's class, he should be a great lead blocker for Grant for his entire career at NCST.

RECEIVERS
    5th year senior WR Hakeem Flowers is about the purest version of a possession receiver you will see. Standing at 6'3/185, he has the size to muscle smaller DBs. He is an 83ovr, but that does not tell the full story. Flowers has great hands (84 catch / 85 catch traffic) and runs great routes (86 rte run). He won't drop many balls thrown his way. The problem is, once he catches them, that's about it for the play, as he is an 83 spd WR...yeah not good. So he is going to be our move the chains guy. Freshman Thomas Brown starts opposite him and is the future #1 WR for the Wolfpack. 75ovr with 90spd/90 acc and 75 cth, he is a good looking freshman without a real weakness in his game. The pack is going to go with alot of 2 TE sets this year as well since we have 2 sophmores we like alot. Kelvin Carter (76ovr) & Chris Goodwin (73ovr) are both prototypical receiving TEs with good speed, size and hands, and we will try to take advantage of their matchups against LBs or Safeties to help our offense score some points.

OFFENSIVE LINE
    Our starting offensive line across the board is 84-82-82-81-81 ovr. Good, not great. No weakness, no strenght. Sr RT Alex Barr is the best of the bunch. But we are looking towards the future with our line. On our team we have 12 offensive lineman. Of the 12, 8 are either Sophmores or Freshman, and their overalls range from 82ovr-76ovr. With redshirts and progression, we feel we are set here for years and in a year or 2, should have a dominate oline that will be able to control the line of scrimmage for us and help us become a power running team.

DEFENSIVE LINE
    Our defensive line is definitely one of our weaker areas, however it is anchored this year, and for the forseeable future, by 2 freshman signed in the off-season who are immediate starters and we are hoping immediate playmakers. DE Cornelius Martin was the prize signing of NC State last year, rated as the #1 DE coming to college. 6'2/239 - 81ovr - 81spd - 88acc - 87power move - 85finesse move - 80tackle, the kid is a beast. Starting right next to him on the line is fellow freshman DT Blake Bell. Bell did not come in as highly recruited, but our scouting department labeled him a gem. An undersized DT at only 267 pounds, what he lacks in weight, he makes up for in the weight room with 86 strength and 81 block shedding. Both of these guys will be fixtures and the face of our Dline for the next few years

LINEBACKERS
    Our linebacking crew begins and ends with OLB Rodman Noel. The 5th year senior is definitely our best overall player on defense and should be in on a number of plays every week. 84ovr with 91spd, 84tackle and 84play rec, he is an every down player and will be needed to help with all the young players we have starting in our front 7. Starting in the middle is yet another true freshman, Jonathan Smith. Smith (76ovr) has all the skills needed to be a star MLB, but there is 1 catch, he is atleast partially retarded. Now most people will say this is a severe politically incorrect and insensitive statement for the coaching staff to make. The counter to that is the facts, Smith has a 46 awareness rating. Not only does he get confused on the field, in the locker room he occasionally puts his jock strap on over his pants and his helmet on backwards with the facemask in the back of his head. Poor kid...

DEFENSIVE BACKS
    Our secondary is heavy senior laden with 4 of our top 5 DBs being seniors. CBs Tyrell Buriss (88ovr), Jabari Fontenot (82) and Willie Jude (79ovr) and FS Hakim Jones (85ovr) bring experience if nothing else to table. Buriss is clearly the most talented, but even he would prob be no better than a nickleback on a more talented team. The coaching staff is very excited about the only non-senior starting in the secondary, SS Tony King. King (6'2/201, 83ovr - 96spd - 91acc - 91tackle) has been nicknamed the human missle as he is both our fastest player and best tackler on the entire defense. He basically flys all over the field, head down, and tries to kill receivers with his the force of his hits plus the speed he is coming at you. Definitely a star in the making and someone who should be fun to watch.

SPECIAL TEAMS
    We have a really good punter, like a 93ovr. He is doing double duty. I don't know his name. I don't care. He is a punter/kicker.

SUMMARY
    In summary, we are not a good team this year. We will be lucky to win 7 games. I dont think I have a shot in hell at winning a user game. And I am sure I will lose atleast 1 to the computer. But I think this team is going to be dangerous in a year or 2. We have a ton of talent on this team, and most of it is freshman or sophmores. Just need time and progression. And they will all be hitting their prime at the same time. Also gives us a few years at recruiting behind them so there are no more years like this when we are forced to start so many young guys. 7 offensive / 5 defensive starters are either Freshman or Sophmores.

• Like Like x 1
  21. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

22. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    That Tech offense looks scary. Seems like a great combo of speed at the key positions...then have Caesar, aka the Calvin Johnson of this year's team on there.

Wondering about that RT though...great run blockers except for him...worried about that at all? smlVICTORIES53

23. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Not really. In this offense the tackles rarely run block down linemen. He got swtiched from lt to rt because le's seem to generate more pass rush. He's good enough to block lbs and safeties

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    QUARTERBACKS
    At QB, to keep up with our offense, we will go with true freshman QB Darius Lucas (75). It will be a tough go of it and there will be some growing pains here. At this point, he has the same arm as Chase Rettig did in his last season. But I worry about the awareness for Lucas....so his accuracy won't be as good as the 83 it shows. But he gives us the best chance to win as he has the best combo of accuracy and throw power. In a few years, he will be an excellent drop back passer. Behind him is speedy QB Aaron Vaughn and SO-QB Ty Warren. Remember, Warren was the kid who came in and performed admirably for us last year when Josh Bordner went down. If Lucas suffers from injuy or ineffectiveness, we will look to Warren to get bulk of the snaps.

RUNNING BACKS
    What a mess here. After having 3 years of good RB play from Rolandan Finch to Tahj Kimble, we now have two unknowns. The starter, Manny Fields (74), is a true freshman who was a WR coming into the program but he showed he's pretty dynamic with the ball in his hands. With his combined WR attributes, he can be somewhat of our Percy Harvin here....at least we hope. His backup is RS-SO Ray Cohen (74). Cohen has good speed but he can be prone to fumbles. Clearly in this system we don't play a ton on our RB's but it's nice to have someone who can breakaway sometime and while these two guys can, they have major questions as if they could potentially handle a heavy workload. Also figuring into some PT with carries is SO-FB Danny Anderson (74).

WIDE RECEIVERS/TIGHT ENDS
    Returning to the offense are 2 of our top pass catchers, SR-TE Brian Miller (86) and SO-WR Jason Hill (73). Miller is our impact guy and is someone who will be in our 4WR sets. He's a playmaker and can separate from the better LB's. Clearly we need to get our best guys on the field and we need Miller to be that threat and that reliable threat for Lucas. Hill returns and looks to continue his rise as one of the more unheralded WR's in the nation. He put up gaudy stats and figures to continue to find ways to get open. But shockingly, our #1 WR is a true freshman. Jeremy Grant (78), would have been an unbelievable monster had we redshirted him but he has what it takes to be a top flight collegiate WR. He's 6'6", 242lbs and lining him against smallish CB's, we figure he has a huge advantage. He's super fast off the break and is entirely too big to press at the line. At his size, simply no one moves as quick as him and him and Lucas look to be a deadly 1-2 combo for years to come. The slot guy will be key as well in JR-WR LaShawn Carr. He runs excellent routes and can make all the tough catches. He reminds me of TJ Houshmanzedah.

OFFENSIVE LINE
    The offensive line features 4 new starters. The lone returning starter is Dave Bowen, who's the captain of the offense. The other 4 starters are new and we hope they gel. SR-RT Dave Lembke (78) will man the other tackle spot and while he has the most experience, we have SO-RT Aaron Lumpkin (74) who can be a better asset for us in our offensive scheme but we will see. The interior of the line SO-LG Frank Taylor (82) who displays the ability for us to run behind a powerful yet quick guy in our run game. SO-C Rick Mason (76) and SO-RG Brian Pitts are two guys we hope can make the next step as they are likely starters from here on out, barring any changes. Altogether a solid line but we will have to mask the deficiencies here.

DEFENSIVE LINE
    The D-Line won't be as strong in the interior like last year but the ends have made some strides. Kieran Borcich (82) (9.5 sacks last year) returns at one end while the very promising Vince Williams (77) lines up opposite of Borcich. Both are pretty fast ends with KB being the guy who has a relentless motor to get to the QB. Starting at the NT spot is Max Ricci (84), a 6'4", 341lb behemoth in the middle who displays amazing strength and decent enough athleticism that he can make plays on the run. The other DT is SO Andrew richard (75) and he's a kid who is a NT type as well as he lacks the agility and speed but has good power. Just needs to bulk up.

LINEBACKERS
    We lost one of our better LB's in Sean Duggan but last year this was an unheralded group of unknown's who actually played solid out there. We return two of them in SR-MLB Nick Lifka (83) and JR-ROLB Bobby Wolford (77). Both profile similiarly in that they both have solid speed, good strength and good agility. Both are guys who we rely on heavily to make plays to contain these RB's and TE's out here. Wolford was our leading sack guy last year with 11.5 and was one of our top playmakers on this team. Replacing Sean Duggan will be hard but we have starting in his place SO-LOLB Joey Jackson (75) who is one of our quicker LB's on the team. We get a bit faster but lose that toughness and it remains to be seen how Jackson can do out there.

SECONDARY
    This is the major issue here. With all these teams trying to spread it out with their offenses, we lack true playmakers in the back end here unlike last year. We had FS Sean Sylvia and CB James McCaffrey who ran amok and made huge plays for us last year. Unfortunately both are gone and inserted are two guys who are question marks. Starting at 1 CB spot is SR Zach Wolfe (83) who we really like and feel he can become a good cover CB for us. He was our nickel last year and picked off 2 passes. Ameer Richardson (80) is the other CB but he's not as quick or fast as previous guys and SO-CB Don Johnson has primarily been a KR for us and hasn't played many snaps at CB. Therefore, we've moved off FS Josh Keyes (86) to the #2 CB spot in hopes he can make some plays for us. He was a solid backup to Sylvia but we hope his athleticism can play up to playing CB. Taking Sylvia's spot is RS-FR Dan Holt (83), a big bodied strong powerful kid who we feel can wreck havoc and roam around. SR-SS Spenser Rosinato (86) starts at the other safety spot and he's a smart kid who will be making the calls for the secondary. Hopefully he can become that glue for this unit. We will have to do tons of different looks to mask the struggles this backfield will have.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012