2016 Draft Amateur Draft Grades - 21-30

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Sharkman37, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Welcome back sportsfans. Bob Frapples here with 2016 draft grades for picks 21-30. This part of round one saw Gm's taking some risks, rolling said dice and hoping for 6's. After reviewing this, I think some risks were astute and others hoping for some blind luck. Time will tell if I am spot on or full of hogwash. So without ado...

1st Rd - Pick #21 - Colorado Rockies
    RP - Phil Palsimano
    Overall: Top end two pitch starter who projects top end stuff, movement, and control. Bit of a tweener with lower velocity but high stamina.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Starter pitcher who can't start until he develops a third pitch. Projects to a middle man in the bullpen as he lacks a punch out pitch for the 9th. Kind of like a good college football player who's skillset doesn't necessarily translate to the pro's. I initially liked this pick but now struggle to see where he will end up.
    Grade - C+

1st Rd - Pick #22 - Los Angeles Dodgers
    3B - Mel Lovelass
    Overall: Squatty slow-footed banger of a second baseman. Throw-back player that is great in the clubhouse and in the dugout. Team leader type with ++ power. Average defense but is fundamentally sound. Wants to get better.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: At this point in the draft, everyone has a wart or two. To me, Loveless was a schrewd pick at this juncture. Should go places.
    Grade: A

1st Rd - Pick #23 - Seattle Mariners
    SP - Alec Turner
    Overall: Mariners wanted pitching which had already been picked over a bit. Fragile HS starter with great makeup and solid projectables. Velocity is low and will need to work a lot on mastering his different pitches. Lacks a hammer fastball and will need to work on control and movement.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Sorry Dylema but I can't get behind a righty that only can top out at 92. Already out with a shoulder injury. Could be a decent #4 if all goes right. Meh.
    Grade - C+

• Like Like x 3
  2. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

1st Rd - Pick #24 - Baltimore Orioles
    3B - Pepe Romero
    Overall: Youngster has potential at all the batting stats. Really really raw. Decent makeup, ++ defender, arm, and range. Greedy and not book smart. Type A personality.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Orioles swing for the fences with this pick. Pepe could be an all star or flameout. How Raj handles him will be key.
    Grade - B+/A-

1st Rd - Pick #25 - Atlanta Braves
    SS - Sancho Gomez
    Overall: Plus defender with a cannon of an arm to play SS or 3B. Bats lefty which is a nice bonus. Good player now with above average potential. Clean intangibles.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Astute pick by Timpe here. Didn't try to overthink but picked up a solid baller at the back end of round one. Kudo's
    Grade - A

1st Rd - Pick #26 - Houston Astros
    LF - Jose Rios
    Overall: Decent make-up. His defense, arm, and baserunning instinct are average. Great track speed doesn't translate well to the field. Prodigy contact and power. Very, very young.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Be nice Frapples, be nice. um... I really don't get this pick. This draft was loaded and there are so many guys that are better then this one. I know he was pick for the power/contact potential but that is so future-based and so fickle, I just don't know. Lack of plus periphery talents hurt. Oodles of patience needed.
    Grade - C

1st Rd - Pick #27 - Tampa Bay Rays
    2B - Gabriel Fernandez
    Overall: Good but not great prospect that plays a clean 2nd base and can pop a few. Solid makeup but a bit greedy baller that is close to being maxed out on his ceiling.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Rays need him to be a fast mover as he is overage already. They will find out soon whether her booms or busts. Could be immediate impact guy. Would have taken Ollie Nielson instead.
    Grade - C+

• Like Like x 4
  3. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

1st Rd - Pick #28 - Cincinnati Reds
    CF - Alfredo Lopez
    Overall: Potential, potential, potential. Some guys love it, other guys think it is fools gold. Classic case right here. Has the talent all over the place. Just needs experience and development.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Alfredo Lopez is as green as grass. He oozes potential and has a great make-up. LONG way to go and lets hope the Reds are patient because they will need it.
    Grade - B

1st Rd - Pick #29 - St Louis Cardinals
    SP - Oliviero Sidotti
    Overall: High School righty that flexes solid tools. Really raw but solid peripherals
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: The Cardinals tried to lowball him and Sidotti went to college. Probably a good move on his part. Nuff said.
    Grade - NA - Didn't sign

1st Rd - Pick #30 - Detroit Tigers
    C - Ron "The Castle" Schloss
    Overall: 22 yr old was a redraft from last year. He improved and the Tigers rolled the dice here at the end of rd 1. Doesn't work the hardest but he is growing into his body. Acts like baseball isn't his first or even second love and it shows. Light tower power and overall skills. Slow on the basepaths and not the best defender. Excelled vs top competition and gets bored vs inferior ones.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Oakland snagged him in the 3rd rd, but he went back to school. Criminal Justice major that wants to work at CIA as a field agent. I don't know if he can stick behind the plate and if he doesn't, his value decreases. If the Tigers can tap into his inner joy for the game, he could be special. Gamble here but Tgers decided to swing for the fences instead of playing it safe with Ollie Nielson. Aliases also include William Bonney, William Antrim, Tommy the Tuba, Sir Lancelot, and oh yah, Ben Wiggins.
    Grade - B+

SANDWICH PICKs:
    They are all good. I like Nielson and Hapgood the best. Both should have went in the 20's

For links to the players, click on the following link:

• Like Like x 4
  4. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Fantastic work as usual here shark

• Like Like x 1
  5. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I'd appreciate it if you told me my pick sucked... You've said my last 3 picks were good, and they all sucked, so if you say one sucks he'll be good right?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

I call em as I see them but duly noted Timpe :)

7. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Well I obviously shared your opinion on all of them so maybe we both suck at this whole drafting for Atlanta thing :)

8. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

I haven't been much better. Drake Hollow, Kiyomizu, Adam Brett Walker, Randy Walbourne, the rest of the 2014 draft when I had all those picks), Jesus Calderon, et al et all. I think the one that I hit on that wasn't obvious was Hilts and so far so good on Platea. Other then that, a bit spotty/bad luck.

I have done better with getting prospects from trades. (Ashley, McQueen, Sparta (until he was injured) etc)

9. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

How about Boomers???? :p

10. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

he stagnated for 3 yrs until the day AFTER I traded him to you. dumb freaking luck :mad: . glad he is doing well for you though. looks like he just needed a change a scenery which sux for me but cool for you . heh

11. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

My brother actually basically said the same thing as soon as he saw that pick. I need to sow some pitching seeds and hope they bear fruit.