2016 Draft Amateur Draft Grades

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by BigSmooth33, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Sharkman37

Where are they at?!?!?!!?

2. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Here you go (at least 1-10)

2016 Amateur Draft Review
    By Bob Frapples - Senior Writer for The Sporting News
    Good Afternoon Sportsfans. I have a break in the action and wanted to bring you another edition of the Amateur draft review. Doing a draft review before prospects even sign is like doing a marriage review 2 days after the nuptuals to see if you think that the newlyweds will make it together for 50 years. So with that, this is my off the cuff thoughts on how teams did relative to draft needs and draft position vs the players available. If you don't see a player link and want to look at a guy, I have linked the draft thread to the bottom. Formatting takes up a lot of time. Anywho, without ado, here goes:

1st Rd - Pick #1 - Toronto Bluejays
    SP - Bryan Charles
    Overall: Probably the best pitcher to come out since Verlander. What makes him special is the variety of pitches, all with epic movement as great velocity which induce a crazy amount of ground outs. Question - he has 6 pitches but a the catcher only has 5 fingers. How will he call for the forkball?
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Watch out for the Blue Jays. They are developing quite the treasure trove of talent and Charles gives them the ability to have an ace front their rotation. Will challenge for Cy Youngs. Needs a good defense behind to take advantage of all those ground balls
    Grade: A

1st rd - Pick #2 - Chicago Cubs
    SP - Jose Gonzalez
    Overall: Pitching, pitching, pitching. You can't pitch if you don't have pitchers and Jose projects to be a good one. He does everything right and would be a #1 pick in a lot of drafts. Has three plus pitches with his circle change needing the most owrk. That will come.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Easy to see why the Cuns picked him. When in doubt, take the pitcher over the hitter as long as you aren't reachin. Cubs didn't reach. Nice pick

1st rd - Pick #3 - Texas Rangers
    SP - Joe "Million Dollar" Hurt
    Overall: Good high school righty that has a nice and easy repeatable motion. Has nice break on all his pitches which induce a lot of groundballs. Good makeup. Projects good control but he has lots of work to do on that. Needs to stop nipping at the corners and learn how to 'pitch'
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: And Texas becomes the third team in this draft to throw the dice at a potential ace. Could be a horse #1 if he develops. Solid pick
    Grade: A-

1st rd - Pick #4 - Boston Red Sox
    OF - Lynwood Abbott
    Overall: 5 star talent with a two cent personality. Could be one of the best outfielders in years. He does it all. Contact, Power, eye, run, defense. He is majestic to watch but is his heart really in it?
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Smart but lazy monster of a player that if he really wants to, could be an all time 5-tool great. Will he?? Great pick at #4

1st rd - Pick #5 - New York Yankees
    SP - Wes Norris
    Overall: High School arm with track speed and has a good understanding of the game. Projects to 3 solid pitches with a good work ethic and leadership. Bit of a con job as he bought a Lamborghini after being drafted and punch a 6 year old wanting his autograph.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: High School Right handed pitchers with low velocity and no fastball in the repotriore scare the hell out of me. I get the pick but would have went elsewhere.
    Grade: B-

1st rd - Pick #6 - Chicago White Sox
    CL - Jaime Garcia
    Overall: The Neo Sandman is as close to a perfect relief pitcher we will see. Like the Dodgers a few years back with Jamarillo, the Sox grab a super 2 inning closer that will be ready soon. His make-up is as clean as you get, he is durable, seasoned, great arm, great everything.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: I like the Sox are doing. I know they have been snakebit on quite a few risky picks (see Giolito, Lucas) and would rather take a slightly lesser talent but one that, potential injury aside, is a more of a sure thing. Bird in hand and all that. And to those who hates relievers, I won't try to sway you but this guys is legit. Multiple Closer awards.

1st rd - Pick #7 - Oakland A's
    3B - Matt Bates
    Overall: Bates is one of those All American types with the Hollywood good-looks and has the 'it' factor. He oozes talent but all of it is "Projection." At this point of the draft, I would rather grab a sure-thing then make a run at the craps table. He works hard but doesn't really care about the game, just maximizing his pay day.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Call me mean but I see epic flameout.
    Grade: C-

1st rd - Pick #8 - Philadelphia Phillies
    SP - Roberto "Liberty" Perez
    Overall: Solid but unspectacular college lefty that could have used another year in school. Southpaw that throws all off-speed stuff. His best is a change and then a solid forkball. A bit of a ground ball enducing junk pitcher that will not cause many strikeouts.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Innings eater that projects as a #3 in the rotation and was taken 20 picks too early. It feels like this pick was forced because the organization wanted pitching. Organizations should want talent. Blah pick to me at this point of the draft.
    Grade: C

1st rd - Pick #9 - Kansas City Royals
    1B - Scotty "Doesn't Know" Clay
    Overall: Um, what the hell people? Letting the 3rd best player in this draft go 9th? I know pitching wins championships but as the great sage 'Oriole Raj' once said, always take the best player. There is no reason to not draft this guy. "He can't run" you say. Who needs to when he hits .330 and smokes 40+ bombs a year. Scotty has a sexy girlfried in Fiona, and can be an MVP type impact bat in the middle of future Royal lineups.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: Um, multiple All Star's, a couple of MVP awards maybe a HOF induction, and repeated bangings of Mika in a church confessional. FIONA INDEED.
    Grade: A++

1st rd - Pick #10 - San Diego Padres
    CF - Jorge Hernandez
    Overall: Kind of a do-everything lefty teenager who is shy around the ladies and who's high school teammates let play any and all positions. For a younger guy, he is closer on his Actuals to Potential ratios, which is nice to see and has a twitchy good first step both on the basepaths and the field. Smart, humble, and from a good family and wears plaid shirts to school every dya.
    Outlook Based on Flimsy Evidence: I am not the biggest fan of spending a top 10 pick on a high schooler but Jorge is more advanced then most. Doesn't bunt and has good projectable power. As long as he stays injury free, looks to have a good career ahead of him. Good pick for 'The Truth'.
    Grade: A-

If you want to look at player pages - http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/2016-amateur-draft-round-1.89190/

• Like Like x 6
  3. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

I Lol'ed @Oriole Raj

4. PAgamer07

Also... I agree with MOST of your grades.

The Philly pick, yes they needed pitching in a big way. It was too hard not to pass up on a solid lefty starter who should be a good one. For every 9 good righty SP, there is 1 good lefty.

Also disagree on the Yankees pick. This dude's intangibles are off the charts. His stamina is his only weakness. And FYI... a sinker is a fastball :)

5. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Great stuff

6. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

The White Sox can't be higher than a C. They just can't. I don't "hate" relievers, but with what's on the board, I don't understand how you can justify taking a reliever there with everything that's on the board.

7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

well when you find out he's taking him to turn him into a starter does that turn it into an "F" ?

8. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Scotty doesn't know, Scotty doesn't know...

9. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Yes. Although Aroldis Chapman was going ok with similar ratings so who knows.

10. PAgamer07

I think its a great pick.

11. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Noles has a trophy that he is itching to hand off to you.....:p

• Like Like x 1
  12. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Well, I'm sure you do. But you're always in last place, so...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

I know. kind of boring to give everyone A's. This is a very rich draft at the top and it kind of boils down to GM's preferences on how to build a team. All these guys, to an extent, could have gone in most places. I get Raj's point on the RP and the grade might be a tad high (especially with Scotty on the board) but I understand why the Chisox did it.

With all that said, I am working on picks 11-20 and hope to have them up soon. Thanks for reading and commenting guys. makes this a lot of fun

• Like Like x 2
  14. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

#cantwait - Just for salty ass ryalaman

15. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I'm not salty about anything. I'm just the guy that took the team with the toughest situation in all of baseball into being a perennial contender. I figure I should share some of my obviously superb insights with everyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Houston fans disagree with the above statement..

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

I would keep that to myself. Insider trading and all. keep it in house... :)

18. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I mean, that team was worse than mine. Its also in a top media market without as tough of a division, soooooooooo...

19. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Baltimore: T-17th in Media Revenue
    Houston: 27th in Media Revenue

• Like Like x 3
  20. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

picks 11-20 posted tonight. tried to post it from work by IE kept crashing on me

• Like Like x 2
  21. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Its 2012. Who uses IE?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

My work. They won't allow us to download Chrome or Firefox

23. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On