2016 Hall of Fame Vote

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Cheez, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

2. Cheez

Matt Gibson - Yes
    Evan Dixon - Yes (provided Whygod can find a picture in his highlights somewhere. I'm sure there is one).

3. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Yes to both.

4. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Matt Gibson - yes
    Evan Dixon - yes

Although, I'm not quite sure that I should be included in the committee for 2016. I was not around to "see" those two play.

5. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

yes
    yes

I wish I would have saved stats from my 6'5 WR named Jenkins. He was a beast.

6. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Gibson no
    Dixon Yes

Gibson's Career numbers are not there. Even with a monster year he is still way behind the other HOF HBs. Besides we have to make cheeze use his HBs for more than one year. Otherwise he will get a canidate every year.

And certainly if a qb with 4600 passing yards and 50 TDs can't get in...

I need to convert my eahighlight to Youtube for Dixon. I will do so tonight.

7. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Gibson No
    Dixon Yes

I was curious about whygodwhy1111 comments about Gibson's one big year, and I somewhat agreed with him. However, I wanted to look some real life example. So I decided to look at Barry Sanders stats. I remember before he became the star running back for OSU, he played behind Thurman Thomas. Here is Barry's career stats OSU, according to Wikipedia, and remember he is in the College Football Hall of Fame.

86 Season 74-325-2 TDs
    87 Season 111-622 8 TDs
    88 373-2,8750 36 TDs

Clearly, nothing unbelievable the first two seasons. And when you look at Gibson's first two seasons he did nothing unbelievable, in fact I would say he was disappointment. In addition where was this guy the first two seasons, Stanford hasn't had a dominant back for a while. Thus, it wasn't like Gibson was playing behind Thurman Thomas, you should look at his stats they are just ridiculous. To me, it is almost like, Stanford held this guy out and then unleashed this beast last season.

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Cheez, how much do you want Gibson in :D

9. gowazzucougs

Cheez

if recchem is going for a bribe, I can be bribed if you stop recruiting that wide receiver and safety. :)

10. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

My bribe will cost Cheez dearly!!!

11. Cheez

My only question, and I am not criticizing your vote because you have the right to vote as you choose, is how you define dominant. I had a pair of backs that were over 1300 yards the last couple seasons, and one that was over 1600 last year.

To answer your question about why he didn't play in his first couple seasons - that's the major detriment to having a stable of backs compared to only a few. He couldn't get ahead of a few of my other backs in the depth chart until they all graduated.

The rest of it I fully understand. Again, I'm not trying to sway your vote. In fact, you made a very clear case that is fully reasonable. If it's not meant to be that he gets in, then so be it. I'm just curious on that definition.

If you think he deserves to be in, vote him in. If you dont, dont. It's your prerogative. It wont affect my voting for your players in the future in any way.

12. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

You're no fun!

13. Cheez

Just because I don't watch matlock or play bridge doesn't make me not fun ;)

14. Cheez

15. Cheez

50 TDs over multiple seasons (dont remember exactly) with a lot of picks. Lets not just cherry-pick stats ;)

16. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

I just found out that Gibsons 38 tds are 2nd all time behind the 39!!!! of BS. I revoke vote for Gibson.
    No for Dixon. I don't like him! Lol

17. Cheez

Rushing TD record is 37. Gibson had 38

Furthermore, Gibson had 3 return touchdowns, giving him 41 total (ahead of Sanders' 39).

18. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Yes to both.

As much as I hate Gibson, the dude was a monster his senior season. You don't see season like that everyday.

19. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Sanders had more than that if you include his bowl game.

20. gowazzucougs

Cheez

There are a couple of problems you have when you present your backs. First, you have a lot of backs and you choose to split time. Thus, their stats are not going to be as great if only one carried the load. The backs from the past few seasons gained 1300 yards, that shouldn't get you in the hall and you haven't nominated anyone because of it. When you look at how OSU used Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders, Sanders could never get on the field because Thomas was so dominant. Again look at Thurman Thomas' stats they are truly amazing, especially knowing Sanders was on the bench. Second, Stephan Taylor I believed rushed for over 2,000 yards in his final season, and probably gained at least 3,600 to 4,000 for the two years he was in the game. That is truly impressive, and now you want a guy to come in who in three years gained a total of 2,300 yards. I will admit he had a truly great season, and in fact was the MVP of the league, but where was this his first two seasons. Finally, you have a great offensive line and running is tremendously easier than passing the ball on this year's game. That is something you have to factor, especially as seasons go by. I would honestly believe if we were to re vote on some candidates they got in early on, they might not get in as the game goes by.

Lastly the kickoff return stats almost swayed me in voting for him, but my question is why wasn't he returning kicks his sophomore season? He returned kicks his freshman and junior years, but not his sophomore year. I think he had returned kicks his sophomore year, and took a couple back for TDs, the vote would be yes.

21. Cheez

I didnt have incredibly dominant halfbacks, but I had 3 ahead of him in the depth chart who all were solid backs in their own right. It is the major flaw of having a stable of backs - not everyone can get on the field. And because of the following rule in our league description topic, I could not justify bumping him up:

Additionally, your depth chart should generally follow your players OVR ratings. Your top WR should not be starting in the slot positions, your best HB should not be on the bench because you have a HB rated 10 points lower who is faster, etc. Use common sense and any questions should be discussed with me.

There were 3 backs with overall ratings significantly higher in 2014 and 2015 - so his playing time was very limited.

I can actually answer this, but first I want to clarify one thing. 2016 was Gibson's senior year.. he didn't leave early as a junior. So 2015 was his junior year and 2014 was his sophomore year.

With that being said, you're question is "why didn't he return kicks his junior year when he did his sophomore season". Well, you're asking the wrong question - a better one would be "why did he return kicks his sophomore year" - to which the answer is that he was a backup return guy, and the starter got injured for a lengthy period over the season. The starting returner came back late in the year (hence the lower amount of returns his sophomore season than his senior season), and was there again in 2015 throughout the year.

22. gowazzucougs

Cheez

So are you saying he wasn't good enough to return kicks for you, his junior year?

23. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

24. Cheez

Very good point - so Gibson matched his regular season record.

However, Gibson did it in nearly half the carries...

25. Cheez

I'm saying that I had someone who better fit the mold of a kick/punt returner that year. Was he good enough - absolutely. But he wasn't the best that year on my team for that role in 2015.