2016 Media Days

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Sharkman37, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

The Press is getting antsy, and wants to know your expectations for this season. It would be great if we all could answer a few questions before the season starts.

1. Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?
    2. Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?
    3. Any additions this offseason you were excited about?
    4. What are your expectations for 2016?
    5. Any predictions around the league?
    6. With the Phillies going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
    7. Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?
    8. Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

It will suck.

3. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

The Press is getting antsy, and wants to know your expectations for this season. I would like everyone to answer a few questions before the season starts.

1.Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have? I didn't have any holes. I didn't lose a single guy, my team is young and cheap, and lets be honest, I just won 107 games, won the World Series, embarrassed Raj and his Orioles, and almost swept year end awards. Since I was able to buy out Cliff Lee last year, I had an extra 27 million burning a hole in my pocket so I dumped 31 mil a yr for 2 years for Papelbon, bolstering my weakest area, which was bullpen. Hopefully Joba the Hutt will understand. (I love being able to be Steinbrenner atm :p)

2.Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively? Nah. hoping I can also pay it forward on Carl Crawford to free up more money for next year.

3.Any additions this offseason you were excited about? Papelbon - see above.

4.What are your expectations for 2016? My expectations are to win my division and make it to the World Series. I have set up the Tigers for a few years and need to maximize my window.

5.Any predictions around the league? I predict that Raj will continue to look bad thinking my team is still crap even when I win it all again. I also predict that I am no longer predicting the Marlins to win the NL East as I have the past 3 years. I think it will be Astros, Tigers, Orioles in the AL and Braves, Reds, and Giants in the NL. Wildcards tbd. I also predict that Verlander will be going for an unprecedented third Cy Young in a row.

6.With the Phillies going wild in FA, how do your finances look this year? Pretty good but I need to be careful with long term contracts so I have the money available in a few years to absorb all my guys no longer being paid 480K

7.Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact? 1B - Francisco Grinaldo arrives to push Barton at 1B. They are all holding the space though for Dilios Platea that might be up by year end.

8.Any league-wide Diamond Notes you would like to comment on? I am interested to see how the Pirates go about their rebuild. I am also interested in seeing how the new owners go about building their teams. Finally, in the AL Central, I am most worried about the Twins. I think they have made some heady moves and are developing quite the nice squad. Mostly though, good luck to everyone this year... (even you Raj) :)

4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

• Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have? We have plenty of holes... Closer sucks. Our offense sucks. Ryan Braun has basically died. Shipped Corey Hart's corpse and hideous contract for pennies on the dollar... Could be a long season. We are optimisitic about the defensive upgrades... Howie Kendrick, Alcides Escobar to sure up the middle infield, Russell Martin at catcher... Just need some run production... But from WHERE?!?!?!?
    • Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively? Like I said earlier, Braunie is all but dead.
    • Any additions this offseason you were excited about? Unfortunately no... Will be interesting to see how Wunderlich performs at 2B... Lets hope his offense will make it worth it or he may find his way on the block ASAP.
    • What are your expectations for 2016? Not very much... Terrified.
    • Any predictions around the league? Tigers will keep winning. Tampa will continue to build on what they started last year... And the Orioles will suck balls. Atlanta will be as tough as always... Washington should take a step back I think... Just a hunch.
    • With the Phillies going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year? Financially, we are going to be fat and happy in Brewer country... Just waiting for a hot free agency to splurge.
    • Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact? Sammie Starr may be ready to make some waves at the major league level. With the log jam at 1B, Nick Ramirez is trying to develop into an outfielder down in Nashville.
    • Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share? Just hoping to keep my job after this season... :(

• Like Like x 3
  5. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

1. Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?- We have too many needs to count, and didn't address them. We are going back to the defense and pitching first mentality, but really don't think we can score enough runs or even really do much on the pitching front. A complete rebuild is only a matter of months away I think.
    2. Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?- The only noteable free agent we lost was OF Nelson Cruz. He had a -27 ZR last year for us, so good riddance.
    3. Any additions this offseason you were excited about?- None. We added OF Reggie Willits as a defensive sub and OF depth. Pretty cruddy offseason really.
    4. What are your expectations for 2016?- If my strategy works? 2nd place in division and a wildcard. Realistically? After the imminent fire sale, dead fucking last.
    5. Any predictions around the league?- Atlanta wins the division again and still looks like the team to beat in the NL. I think Cole finally gets over the hump in the NL West. The Central is either going to St. Louis or Cincinatti. In the AL? Although AJ's Wunderlich trade was a bad one, that team is too loaded and should be able to win the division. Detroit keeps it up in the Central and the AL West is wide open. We may even have a Norezn sighting.
    6. With the Phillies going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?- We have yet to lose money, and this year is no different. We're in great shape financially. Maybe thats because none of our players are worth anything.
    7. Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?- No. Our farm system is a disaster as all my prospects keep lumping.
    8. Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?- After making the playoffs two years ago, last year was a disappointment. We really liked our team on paper, but it performed poorly. If we have a bad April and May, the team is getting gutted.

• Like Like x 2
  6. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

1. Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have? I did nothing in the offseason. Magic, once again, has pulled the purse strings on the club. We have a little wiggle room but I wanted to save that for the season if we are in contention.
    2. Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively? Papelbon! I was hoping for that last year from him but he didnt meet the club option requirements. Other than him we have practically the same team.
    3. Any additions this offseason you were excited about? We didnt sign anybody.
    4. What are your expectations for 2016? Hopefully reach the playoffs again and make a run at another ring.
    5. Any predictions around the league? Atlanta is still the class of the NL, I look for them to be there at the end hopefully against the Dodgers again. Tigers seem to be on a roll the past few seasons. Who knew that crazy GM knew what he was doing all along! Tampa looks to be the Tigers toughest competition in the Junior Circuit.
    6. With the Phillies going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year? Not terrible. Were at about $115 million in payroll with about a $7 million cushion should we strike a deal in July. So all and all we are in good financial shape.
    7. Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact? One. 24 year old Juan Gonzales (no not that Juan Gonzales) will be making his ML debut, starting at 1B. Juan was the 29th overall pick in the 2013 draft out of Central Florida. Were hoping for big things from this kid.
    8. Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share? Just curious to see how all these big paychecks play for their new clubs this season. Should be interesting to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

recchem2000 - papelbum didn't get the 60 PA's he needed to meet his vesting option?

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

What? I know I missed a few things this offseason but are you actually being serious Cole?

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

i'm pretty sure it was papelbum. he was still on his stock contract though.

10. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

PA's or RA's? Oh well, no way I was paying Tiger money for him anyways. $31 million SMH!

11. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?

I tried to address the weaknesses in the OF and relief pitching, but there wasn't much talent available. The Giants picked up a couple of :2stars: relievers. Hopefully, they can pan out. CF Franklin Gutierrez was resigned. He'll play about 90 games before going down for the season with an injury.

Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?

Most of the losses are people heading towards the end of their career. There is a chance one or two of them may have something left in the tank, but the probability is against it. The Giants AAA team's record might suffer as a result.

Any additions this offseason you were excited about?

It will be interesting to see how new RPs Jose Arredondo and Ramon Ramirez will pan out.

What are your expectations for 2016?

Expectations are always high in San Francisco. Expectations are another NL West championship and a deep run in the playoffs.

Any predictions around the league?

The Giants will have fewer injuries than last season. If not, this team will be imploded and the Giants will go into rebuilding mode.

With the Phillies going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?

The Giants have made money every season so far, and the owner has rewarded the front office with higher salary budgets.There is money in the coffers if acquisitions are needed to make a playoff run.

Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?

SP Bryan Salsbury saw playing time in the majors late last year, due to injuries to Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Matt Cain. This will be his first full season in the majors. Also, RF Herb Fuller will platoon with Jarrett Parker.

Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?

Last year, the Giants team was ravaged by injuries. 5 of the 8 starting fielders went down for injuries of at least 6 weeks. The team was almost healthy late in the year, and put up 20+ wins in September. SF finished 1 game out of 1st in the NL West and had to play Colorado in a 1 game play-in against Colorado. SF had a 3-2 lead into the bottom of the 8th inning, when RP Gregg gave up a 2 run HR to lose the game. Subsequently, Gregg retired the next week. Hopefully, karma swings the opposite way this season.

Also, last year's starting SS Joe Panik dropped from 4.5 stars to 1.5 stars in one offseason and now lost his starting job. He is only 25 years old, so I'm not sure whether he decided to get off PEDs or what.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Shit.. I forgot how close you came. Had you wont that play in game, anything could have happened. I knew you had a lot of injuries, but didnt realize how great your September was. Good stuff.

13. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?
    I didn't really lose anybody except for trading Tommy Hanson. Su Min Jung is going to come up and should fill his spot in the rotation nicely. I also added Reyes from Toronto in the Hanson trade, who I think will be a solid LF for us, and will hopefully give the offense a nice boost.
    The loss of Tommy Hanson might hurt a little bit, but like I mentioned above, we should have a couple of guys who can fill the void.
    Definitely Carlos Reyes. I think he'll be a very nice addition to our lineup, and has a very good glove to boot. At the age of 24 he should man left field for at least 3-4 years.
    Shooting for another division title. I think we have the team to do it. We sacrificed some pitching this year to improve the offense, but our rotation should continue to be one of the best in the Majors.
    Rays, Tigers, Mariners, O's, and White Sox make the playoffs in the AL. Braves, Cards, D-Backs, Marlins, and Reds in the NL.
    With the Phillies going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
    Perfectly fine. Finished in the green every year, and had plenty left over for the development budget this year.
    Ryan Delgado might come up and give McCann some extra days off if he plays well in AAA. Other than that there won't be many guys coming up other than as injury replacements.
    Diamondbacks are finally going to get over the injury bug and make a run in the West. The AL Central is going to be the worst division in baseball.

14. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

I would of liked to get a shut down closer like Papelbon and a Stong RH bat like Miggy. I thought I was overpaying on my offers, turns out I was underpaying by about 20M. Ended up witha quiet offseason, grabbing Shawn Kelley and MArk RYSCH(Alphabet) to help in the bullpen.

I denied arb for both JD Martinez and Jerry Sands. Sands never played to his potential and Martinez was a solid 4th OF with a good bat vs LH. My OF was getting to crowded though for him to play.

Not at all.

Playoffs, will contend for the West

Rays,Tigers,Astros,Seattle,Angels (West will rule the AL) - Giants,Reds,Braves,Marlins,Cards

Not a worry.

Pajirillio looks like a stud (13 AB's too many to qualify as rookie), Areil OVando and Phil Davidson might round out the OF before the season is over. Adam Conley is a possibility for a rotation spot if someone gets injured or struggles.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Nope. Still have a huge hole in the rotation and there are no signs of that changing anytime soon

Losing LaHair hurt, but he deserved the big contract he got. He's a great guy who was long overdue for a big payday. And of course losing Perez hurts. Guy was great. The fans loved him, but we ultimately just didn't feel a closer is worth that much money. We knew we could get an FA for cheaper and we knew Pestano could close if needed.

Nope. All of our additions were pretty much stop-gaps. Hopefully something works.

Hopefully a Wild Card bid. We have the bats to do it. We have had the bats the last couple years. Last year we just didn't have the pitching. We don't really have it this year, but if a couple guys play over their heads we can do it.

Just don't see the NL dynasty that is the Atlanta Braves ending anytime soon. Timpegoose has something special going on out there.

We are in an odd spot. We actually have A LOT of financial flexibility but we aren't calling any FA's and most of our key guys are already signed up long term or still riding out their rookie contracts.

Joe Patton is getting full time play this year. Kid just has raw power. Add him with Bena and Garcia and we've got some ball bashers in this lineup.

Carlos Santana is getting aggressively shopped for some starting pitching. We feel the talent level we could get in return will put this team over the top.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  16. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    • Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have?
    --------- We did ok. We did get Porcello, so that helps our rotation, but I feel that we're still one more solid SP away from having a rock solid rotation. Relying heavily on the progression of Roniero to fill that spot.
    • Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively?
    --------- Not really. For the most part we kept the team in tact from last season (which may or may not be a good thing).
    • Any additions this offseason you were excited about?
    --------- Porcello and Austin Jackson. Porcello should compliment Jimenez nicely, but we'll see. Austin Jackson also fills a huge hole in the OF for us. He'll probably start in RF but gives us a back up option at CF for the forever lingering injury problems with Maybin.
    • What are your expectations for 2016?
    --------- After a very disappointing 2015, I hope to just play .500 ball this season. Anything more then that is a victory in itself.
    • Any predictions around the league?
    --------- KnightNoles bankrupts the Nationals and the league has to seize the team. ;)
    • With the Phillies going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year?
    --------- Not bad. I got hit kinda hard in arbitration because I missed the upload, but hopefully that will be remedied next season.
    • Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact?
    --------- Hopefully Roniero keeps progressing and Hegwood is still chucking alone nicely, just need him to stay healthy.
    • Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share?
    --------- Moved Kyle Blanks to LF to start the season. He's really graded out nicely in the OF and also opened up some positions for some prospects in the in-field.

• Like Like x 3
  17. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

We added a ton of guys, but time will tell if they addressed all the holes in the lineup and rotation. I'd still like to have a better guy at the top of the rotation as Pineda is just not getting it done. I also would like a power hitting 3B to hit 4th ideally.

Nope, all the losses were for the best and were purely the choice of the team.

I have high expectations for SP Matt Harrison. OF Gerardo Parra has also started off well so I'm hopeful there as well.
    I'd be happy with a .500 finish, and really happy with making a push for a wild card spot.
    I honestly haven't been following other teams too closely but I think Cincy, Atlanta, and Philly look good in the NL and the Orioles, Rays, and Tigers look tough in the AL. I think Houston and the Mets have a chances to surprise some people as well.
    Even though we spent a lot this offseason, we still have some room under our budget. The contracts we signed also are almost all escapable in 2 years or less so we will have flexibility down the road, especially with Teixera and Granderson coming off the books after this year.
    Not likely this year, I think we are pretty set barring any major injuries. All of the guys in our system need at least one more year to mature.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I'm pretty sure he already did that twice. Well the first part atleast.

19. Ken Welsch

Ken Welsch BTFD!

1. Did you address all of your needs in the offseason? If not, what holes do you still have? The Twins have been stuck in neutral the past couple of years and were hoping to push themselves into the forefront this offseason. However, after exploring a number of trade options and chasing some elite free agents, they found themselves able to fill a couple of holes but without the impact they really wanted to make. Minnesota is still looking for a good #3 hitter to round out their lineup as well as a closer.
    2. Were there any losses from your team that you think may impact you negatively? Not really. Longtime SP Francisco Liriano's option was not exercised, but injuries had taken their toll on the lefty. OF Chris Parmalee is gone, but he regressed last year. SS Jed Lowrie was not brought back, but he was injured the majority of his time with the Twins. The biggest loss from last years team will be 3B Wilmer Flores, who was waived because my team was auto'ed on week 1; Flores was a key member of my lineup last year.
    3. Any additions this offseason you were excited about? OF Corey Hart was acquired to provide power from the right side of the plate and he should be able to feast since he's hitting behind C Kyle Skipworth. 3B Brett Morel should be a solid third baseman.
    4. What are your expectations for 2016? I would like to say that the Twins will push to the top of the AL Central, but the lack of a true closer may prevent that kind of improvement. The fact is that the Twins play pretty well against most AL teams but have historically struggled against the Tigers and White Sox, their divisional foes. Until that trend is bucked, they will not be atop the standings.
    5. Any predictions around the league? Just that the Tigers keep rolling. Damn it.
    6. With the Phillies going nuts in Free Agency, how do your finances look this year? We have done a great job freeing salary and this offseason came ready to spend. Unfortunately, we came well short of Miguel Cabrera as well as a couple of closers. We spent some big dollars picking up Corey Hart and have plenty of space to add a couple more contracts as well.
    7. Any prospects we should look for this year to make an impact? SP Hector Aguilar has finally reached the majors and will inherit Liriano's spot in the rotation. SS Garabez Rosa is splitting time with Yunel Escobar right now and is expected to take over by the end of the season. C David Frietas was taken in the Rule 5 draft and will be a right-handed counterpart to Skipworth behind the plate.
    8. Any Dugout 'Diamond Notes' you would like to share? The Twins will continue to work to fill their holes before it's too late this season, so other GMs will get lots of PMs. Be warned.

• Like Like x 1